Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

There seems to be a stink on the whole 13th early start thing

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bunnymud

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=724312

Seems that everyone will be getting an email on the 13th to say WHEN they can start the early access. And there was, but not now, threads stating something to the effect that there will be no grace period. This I am confused about. Seems that they are trying to shake off the people that pre-ordered and planned to return the game and still get the free 30 days. But I am ignorant on this issue, but it doesn't really pertain to me since I planned on keeping the game never the less.

Maybe people that get the Twitter feeds could shine some more light on this issue.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

They NEVER said when we would get the emails telling us when we would get in, all they've said is early access starts on the 13th.

"Rockjaw Stephen Reid

Early Game Access *starts* on December 13th. Emails will be sent on the day you get access."

And I don't know how no grace period implies what you just said. It just means you can't play the game after early access ends until you put your code in.

nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nelander

I don't see why people will have a problem, they added two days to the early game to compensate for the fact that you will be told the same day the acces begin, so even if you cannot play that day but the day after, you still get to play the same amount of time than if they would have tell you in advance.

As for the grace period, what they mean is that if you are part of the early access, on December 20th (at the latest) you need to enter and activate a retail code or you wont have access to the game until you do. It has nothing to do with the 30 days you get for a new game. And I would be surprised if there are retailers that accept returns on MMOs considering that they would have no way to know if the person already activated the retail code.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

eh...  it's not a big problem for those who order digitally, but i can see people making a stink because they may not get their game shipped to them on release day, so therefore their accounts get frozen until their game arrives... other mmo's usually give a 3-4 day window after release for people to pickup their game from the store or get it delivered so they can input a retail code without interrupting their playing sessions.

D_O_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By D_O_A

@Marz said:

eh... it's not a big problem for those who order digitally, but i can see people making a stink because they may not get their game shipped to them on release day, so therefore their accounts get frozen until their game arrives... other mmo's usually give a 3-4 day window after release for people to pickup their game from the store or get it delivered so they can input a retail code without interrupting their playing sessions.

Yeah mine takes 5-10 days to get to me from the US, so it is going to frustrate me, but meh it's a game, i'll live. Would have been nice for them to make it easier for Australians to buy the digital versions since they still havent given us a local release date. A VPN is easy enough, but their payment system uses address verification as well :( Ended up buying it from amazon, hence the long wait.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

People are silly.

Let them play today and they will complain there's no one to group with.
    Silly silly silly.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By mosdl

Plus the first 2 days the servers will be slow as hell and broken anyways

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Kazona
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    People are silly.

Let them play today and they will complain there's no one to group with.
    Silly silly silly.
    Haven't you heard? The human race is an expert at complaining.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funkydupe

They're bathing in sweat and QQ over at the official boards. What a stink-fest.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By project343

@mosdl said:

Plus the first 2 days the servers will be slow as hell and broken anyways

After Bioware tried their darndest to crash their own servers in that one beta weekend... I don't think that'll happen. Despite the fact that there were an estimated 1.5 million players playing that weekend, the servers still held up fairly well.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Commisar123

Seems fine to me

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@project343 I was there when they asked everyone on the server to send a help request at the same time. Help widget thing stopped working but the server kept going fine.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By amir90

But I cannot pick my game up, untill the 15th, so I am screwed either way.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funkydupe

@amir90: What is there to pick up? If you've pre-ordered and registered your pre-order code (which is a separate code from your retail/game code) you can play in Early Access.

Http://www.swtor.com/download <- the client launcher which will patch you up to launch readiness.

Note: the site seems to be down for maintenance now, at least I can't visit the forums.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By amir90

@Funkydupe: My local store said they are giving away early access code (if you pay for the whole game) on the 15th, if I bought it on origin I wouldn't have that problem ofc.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By project343

@Brodehouse said:

@project343 I was there when they asked everyone on the server to send a help request at the same time. Help widget thing stopped working but the server kept going fine.

Ah, yes. I remember that. You're not wrong. We did crash their ticket system. Very much ended up like this:

Bioware: "We're stress testing the ticket/help system. Please open up a ticket."

Me: "But, but, it's borked. D:"

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By amir90

NVM guys, I just got a call from my store, we can get the game 13th of December.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Yeah, bunch of QQing going on cause someone might have to wait a day or two to play after the 20th. Its such drama. And I think the servers will do very well. There might be one or two that has a issue but I see zero chance that all servers will be down at the same time.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bunnymud

I know my luck. I'll have to re-download the whole game once I can play. So, I'm ready for that to happen.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dagbiker

@Funkydupe said:

They're bathing in sweat and QQ over at the official boards. What a stink-fest.

then you just get banned and cant play at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.