ontheocho's Star Wars: X-Wing Collector Series (PC) review

The True Star Wars Experience

X-wing was a masterpiece of a game that put you in the cockpit of the most powerful fighter craft in the known universe...from a certain point of view.  One might argue that power does not derive from the single ship, but the many.

Tie Fighter was the first Star Wars game to put you on the other side of the cannon that is the classic Star Wars conflict: The Rebel Alliance versus The Empire.  Here you are an agent of the empire, and the game is designed to make you sympathetic to the traditionaly "evil" cause.  Sure you're supporting emperialsim, sure you're blowing up your beloved X-wings that you just recenly held so dear, sure the storm troopers are wearing bizzare 1990's versions of their armor, but it was a dramatic change that was orchestrated with care and crafting.

Even though you play as a much weaker vessle, the strory is strong, the joystick happy combat is refined from the bench mark setting X-Wing, and sometimes it's just fun to be the bad guy...from a certain point of view.

Other reviews for Star Wars: X-Wing Collector Series (PC)

They Just Don't Make 'Em Like This Anymore 0

Thanks to the wonders of DOSBOX, even the most cutting edge modern computers can play TIE Fighter. It's a little odd, isn't it? The game came out over ten years ago, yet without that little wonder application, a rig that can run Crysis in its sleep would be unable to load up this gourad-shaded, jagged polygonal gem.TIE Fighter has more in common with old school WWII flight sims like Chuck Yeager's Air Combat than later Star Wars flight sims like the Rogue Squadron series. Whereas its precursor, ...

All-Time Classic 0

This may be my favorite game of all time.  I came upon it sometime in the middle of high school, and I must have played it religiously for two or three years, wearing out multiple flight sticks (a must-have to play) in the process.  I'm sure the graphics haven't held up at all over time, considering everything looks very polygonal.  But when this was released, it was a revolution.    At the time, games were very black and white and hero-centric.  I realize this dates me terribly, but we didn't h...