Blizzard Isn't Ruling Out StarCraft II Feature Requests

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

There's little use in arguing against the idea that Blizzard wants to put out the best possible game it can. The dozen years between StarCraft II and its predecessor is proof enough. But as most of the SC2 flock are aware, what little was left out might be added in at some point in the future. Blizzard staffers on the game's official message board aren't ruling out much (via Big Download) when it comes to requests and fixing stuff based on concerns.

Take, for example, this post by social man "Zaryhm" in response to a user asking for more challenge missions. "New challenge missions are certainly a good possibility for future content updates or expansions," Zarhym wrote.

Or this post, a response to a user who wants shared replays. "This is a functionality we're interested in providing our players at some point in the future," other social media person "Lylirra" wrote.        

Glad my mother finally found work. It's hard to when, you know, you don't have legs.

== TEASER ==Or this post that expresses that Blizzard plans to allow Oceanic users to pick which region they want to compete within. Two licenses, one person, but no cross-chat. 

"We have plans to allow for Oceanic players to choose which region they want to play in. This is something coming in the future," Zarhym wrote. "You'll have two separate licenses and can choose between North America and Southeast Asia."  

Or, lastly, this post, written in response to a user's question about the map creation's limit shackles. "No current plans, but we're aware that there are concerns regarding the current limits for publishing and sharing player-made maps. The feedback we've received so far is good, and we're keeping a very close eye on how the system is being used. This in turn will help us determine how best to accommodate our players and the mapmaking community-at-large." 

Decent requests are met with an open-mind, and as you'll notice in some cases, boilerplate maybes. Blizzard might be the type of studio that might take a billion years to push out a game, but it's a studio that listens to its fans and tends to do them right by adding what they want, though, I'm not so sure its keen on this feature request. Regardless, if you want a glimpse into what may be added into future updates or patches, these are it.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

There's little use in arguing against the idea that Blizzard wants to put out the best possible game it can. The dozen years between StarCraft II and its predecessor is proof enough. But as most of the SC2 flock are aware, what little was left out might be added in at some point in the future. Blizzard staffers on the game's official message board aren't ruling out much (via Big Download) when it comes to requests and fixing stuff based on concerns.

Take, for example, this post by social man "Zaryhm" in response to a user asking for more challenge missions. "New challenge missions are certainly a good possibility for future content updates or expansions," Zarhym wrote.

Or this post, a response to a user who wants shared replays. "This is a functionality we're interested in providing our players at some point in the future," other social media person "Lylirra" wrote.        

Glad my mother finally found work. It's hard to when, you know, you don't have legs.

== TEASER ==Or this post that expresses that Blizzard plans to allow Oceanic users to pick which region they want to compete within. Two licenses, one person, but no cross-chat. 

"We have plans to allow for Oceanic players to choose which region they want to play in. This is something coming in the future," Zarhym wrote. "You'll have two separate licenses and can choose between North America and Southeast Asia."  

Or, lastly, this post, written in response to a user's question about the map creation's limit shackles. "No current plans, but we're aware that there are concerns regarding the current limits for publishing and sharing player-made maps. The feedback we've received so far is good, and we're keeping a very close eye on how the system is being used. This in turn will help us determine how best to accommodate our players and the mapmaking community-at-large." 

Decent requests are met with an open-mind, and as you'll notice in some cases, boilerplate maybes. Blizzard might be the type of studio that might take a billion years to push out a game, but it's a studio that listens to its fans and tends to do them right by adding what they want, though, I'm not so sure its keen on this feature request. Regardless, if you want a glimpse into what may be added into future updates or patches, these are it.
#2 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Aw, missed my chance to ruin someone's day.

#3 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

How is this news. A lot of devs just put out "mabye's" on message boards to requests that have a lot of people behind it. It does't mean they'll do it.

#4 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

So they are doing the Valve thing now? 

#5 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -
@HellBrendy said:
" So they are doing the Valve thing now?  "
I'd say it's more like they're doing the thing they've done with WoW for years.

Also, @canucks23 said:
" How is this news. "
This.
#6 Posted by ItsAJackal (149 posts) -

Did anyone post about LAN?  I'm of the old school of thought that I enjoy being in the same room with the person I'm gaming with, instead of some random person over the internet I'll never see again, or my good buddy that lives 10 minutes away but we have to play online to get some multiplayer functions.

#7 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

A mom joke? Keeping it classy brad.

#8 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

How about a game that doesn't suck! ^_^ Just kidding... Why the f is this news?

Edit: I bet they will charge money for the "new features".

#9 Posted by Clbull (127 posts) -

How about LAN support.

#10 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Fix the popularity system for Custom maps.  

#11 Edited by MythDarK (546 posts) -
This post is probably one of the best I've read on the SCII forum so far. This person have a lot of good ideas and a really good way to present them for a much greater custom games system.
#12 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1482 posts) -

Give us cross-realm play! I understand that you don't allow it for league matches, but there's hardly an excuse to not allow custom games or limit cross-realm games to just friends.

#13 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Brad's going solo with news again.
 =( 

Isn't just a series of posts saying there looking to improve things?
Like with most games.

#14 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

I think there should be a league above diamond that just pushes you into the bronze league in the korean region

#15 Posted by Semition (731 posts) -

Custom games is a big one.

Also, ladders should be pyramid shaped.

Half (or more) the people should be in copper, and each league should have progressively less and less people. The way it stands now, bottom diamond is probably closer to bronze than top diamond.

#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

That is pretty much just Blizzard being Blizzard.

#17 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Game developers listening to the community, blasphemy!

#18 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5141 posts) -

How about a mode where you cant be attacked in the first ten minutes of the game, you know for people with an APM of 0.5 like me.

#19 Posted by weirdo (144 posts) -

How about fixing the jitteri jumping graphics during cut scenes inside Hyperion first :p

#20 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

Will be interesting to see how quickly Blizzard starts putting some of the suggested changes into the game

#21 Posted by rybrad (143 posts) -

Blizzard has a pretty good track record with adding content to their games and community interaction so no real surprises here.

#22 Posted by f0rk (15 posts) -

This isn't really that much of a positive considering these are all fixes for dumb design decisions regarding battle.net '2.0'.

#23 Posted by RTSlord (1200 posts) -

what about LAN support?

#24 Posted by bonbolapti (1611 posts) -

well yeah, they will keep updating with stuff because that's what they do already... don't they?

#25 Posted by Drebin_893 (2909 posts) -

Any studio that listens to fan feedback and at least pretends to listen is on the right track.

#26 Posted by skywing (1153 posts) -

i am very much so excited to see the 'expansions' the speak of.

#27 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

They said the next expansion will be coming within the year or something. Lets hope so.

#28 Posted by TheAdmin (712 posts) -

I'm having a blast with this game - it's pretty wonderful.

#29 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

God bless you, Blizzard.

#30 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

How about an announcer mode where there are extra camera features and some stats or something that an announcer could use. That would be cool. Think I'm gonna reccomend that.

#31 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

It's really good to see Blizzard supporting community suggestions like this.

#32 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10898 posts) -

This is good.

#33 Posted by ectoplasma (974 posts) -

Nicholson! *Waving fist in the air with a face of contempt*

#34 Posted by KuribosShoe (640 posts) -

needs more zerg

#35 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Still have not bought the game but this definitely gives me an incentive.

#36 Posted by andy (427 posts) -

Very interesting.

Staff
#37 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Need StarCraft tube!

#38 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I should also ask them if they will add achievement support for their older titles. It should be easy enough. I would love to see it for Diablo II.

#39 Posted by Scottish_Sin (223 posts) -

I really need to get around to buying this game.

#40 Edited by darkivn (89 posts) -

Blizzard doing what Blizzard does best.

#41 Posted by Jeff (3486 posts) -

It's not directly SCII-related, but weirdly enough, I'd be into a standalone battle.net chat client. Seems like a good way to keep in touch with my WOW junkie friends who are too busy fullscreening to see IMs.

Staff
#42 Posted by arkadysmile (145 posts) -

Good to see that they may be listening.
#43 Posted by Wyld (278 posts) -

My computer sucks
#44 Posted by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

Too bad I'm not into RTS games. Seems like Starcraft II would be a blast.

#45 Posted by WeepingWillow (36 posts) -

Really looking forward to seeing the amount of stuff Blizz plans on adding to the game.

#46 Posted by silentghost227 (78 posts) -

This stuff can't come soon enough

#47 Posted by NoRemnants (378 posts) -

They already plan on Chat rooms, custom tournaments and a premium map marketplace so Them adding some of the simpler things doesn't sound too unrealistic.

#48 Posted by JoshB (169 posts) -

bring back the LAN!

#49 Posted by MrCHUP0N (246 posts) -

Would they be specific to each release in the trilogy or span across all three? I'm betting the latter but you never know...

#50 Posted by Perspicacity1 (61 posts) -

I guess it's a good thing for Blizzard that I am not surprised in the slightest when they support the community. I looking forward to the next couple decades of Starcraft updates.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.