Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Going to start playing SC2, need some help first

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

I would like to get into this game's multiplayer so first I need your guys' help in website recommendations for the following areas so that I can be oriented quickly:

- Tutorial for new players (I don't need anything extremely fundamental as I'm well accustomed to RTS, but something that would explain the general flow and terminology of the game would be good)
    - Encyclopedia on unit and building stats, costs, abilities etc. 
    - Replays
    - Strategy forum (top-end players preferred) 
    - Commentary/Livecasting  
    - Tournament organizers
    - Anything else you can think of that would be useful, along with general tips 

Thanks a lot. 

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By WickedCestus

Yeah, Teamliquid should have all the stuff you need, and I'd suggest watching some Day9 as well since he is one of the best for learning the game, especially his Newbie Tuesday feature.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Joru
    @Geno: www.teamliquid.net, www.day9.tv are the sites you need for learning. Aside from that, watching tournaments is interesting and can give you ideas for cool tactics, but they can frequently be quite difficult to perform yourself. 

Edit: since you mentioned replays: http://www.sc2replayed.com/
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Don't get jelly.

Shinobiolium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Shinobiolium
    @dudeglove: That bill won't effect Starcraft due to Blizzard allowing for casts, streams, tournaments ect.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By csl316

That's a lot of demands.

Day9 for analysis, the Liquipedia on Teamliquid.net for unit info, and the GSL for one of the best tournaments.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ikwal

Don't listen to day9 too much though since he pretty terrible.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joru
    @ikwal: He's not the best but he did win WCG USA and WCG Pan America in SCBW so I wouldn't say he's bad. Not everyone enjoys his flamboyance though.
    ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ikwal

@Joru: I wasn't talking about how good he is at playing. I just think that he's really bad at commentating, exaggerates all the time, same thing with day9tv. I guess it's alright for beginners though.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By endless_void
    @Geno
    - Tutorial for new players (I don't need anything extremely fundamental as I'm well accustomed to RTS, but something that would explain the general flow and terminology of the game would be good)
    =The Day9 daily is what I would recommend. There are guides that you could find like The SC2 Shokz guide but it costs money and I don't think it's worth it.

- Encyclopedia on unit and building stats, costs, abilities etc. 
    =Liquidpedia.

- Replays
    =sc2replayed.com

- Strategy forum (top-end players preferred) 
    =Teamliquid.net

- Commentary/Livecasting  
    =Live Stream section of Teamliquid has lots of tournaments continually going on. Ofcourse, Day9, HDStarcraft, and Husky are most well-known for their SC2 commentary.

- Tournament organizers
     = MLG, TSL, NASL, and GOMTV (GSL)

- Anything else you can think of that would be useful, along with general tips 
     =Just practice the game loads, find practice buddies on BNET, and watch Day9 Dailies. This will pretty much get you to Diamond.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Geno: Keep us posted on how your laddering adventure goes. I'm about to do the same.

How is placement working now that S2 is closed already?
    autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By autumn_thunder
    @ikwal: He's one of the only SC2 commentators that's actually respected by a lot of pro players, he's usually funny (though admittedly when his humor doesn't hit it misses pretty badly), and his analysis points out genuine flaws in fundamentals as opposed to superficial ones
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Subjugation

Day9 may seem meh to some of you "veterans" but I found him extremely helpful to a newcomer like myself.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By Geno
    @Aus_azn said:
    @Geno: Keep us posted on how your laddering adventure goes. I'm about to do the same.  How is placement working now that S2 is closed already?
    Doing okay; I lost my first game but won 5 subsequently after that. I'm ranked Top 5 in Dawn of War 2 so I'm hoping I can have similar success in SC2. Mainly what I've been doing since I've got it is just finishing the campaign though, to get me a bit into the lore and to get used to the controls.  

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I will look into everything suggested. 
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Geno: Jeez, top 5 in DoW2?

I'd be ecstatic to be in Silver League for my placement. I'm playing 2v2 with a friend, one loss (to a silver/silver) and 2 wins (diamond/plat and plat/plat) in placement. Nobody's walked out on a placement match yet, which is good, I guess.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Thule

@Geno said:

@Aus_azn said:
    @Geno: Keep us posted on how your laddering adventure goes. I'm about to do the same. How is placement working now that S2 is closed already?
    Doing okay; I lost my first game but won 5 subsequently after that. I'm ranked Top 5 in Dawn of War 2 so I'm hoping I can have similar success in SC2. Mainly what I've been doing since I've got it is just finishing the campaign though, to get me a bit into the lore and to get used to the controls. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I will look into everything suggested.

What race do you play?

Whatever race you play, you might want to check out the 12 weeks with the Pro's feature by Mr.Bitter, however it's Zerg only. He basically gets coached by Pro players and streams his sessions. There's also the latest feature which is The next 12 weeks in which he also plays Terran and Protoss.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By baldgye
    @weeman105 said:

Day9 may seem meh to some of you "veterans" but I found him extremely helpful to a newcomer like myself.

No actual 'veteran' thinks Day9 is 'meh'... while his shows are aimed at the levels below diamond he is still one of the best casters out there and has done so much good for the sc2 community, much more than alot of his haters will ever do.... though one wish I have is that he'd stop doing the dailys as they are now (bar funday monday) and instead dedicate it to him getting his game back on and getting into GM
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Thule said:

@Geno said:

@Aus_azn said:
    @Geno: Keep us posted on how your laddering adventure goes. I'm about to do the same. How is placement working now that S2 is closed already?
    Doing okay; I lost my first game but won 5 subsequently after that. I'm ranked Top 5 in Dawn of War 2 so I'm hoping I can have similar success in SC2. Mainly what I've been doing since I've got it is just finishing the campaign though, to get me a bit into the lore and to get used to the controls. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I will look into everything suggested.

What race do you play?

Whatever race you play, you might want to check out the 12 weeks with the Pro's feature by Mr.Bitter, however it's Zerg only. He basically gets coached by Pro players and streams his sessions. There's also the latest feature which is The next 12 weeks in which he also plays Terran and Protoss.

I've seen some of these, it helped me since I do main Zerg. Overall, though, I don't really think I got much from watching videos and reading. Most of it's just experimenting and seeing what sticks in practice. I used to use IdrA's 14pool 15hatch, then moved to the more versatile 13pool 14hatch; now I'm using 14pool 14gas 14-16hatch.

I also got placed into Silver League 2v2, so I'm happy. My placement matches were a S/S (loss), D/P (win), P/P (win), D/D (loss), D/G (loss). Works for me, I don't really care. My 2v2 partner was inebriated while playing the last two games and said we should have won those games easily, so I think we could have fared better as a team in general. Serious laddering begins now, I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.