Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Help Me Suck Less

GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GameFreak315

Hey!  I just got Starcraft II a couple weeks ago with no background in real-time strategy games whatsoever.  (I don't know how I've managed to avoid them for so long.)  Basically, I'm having trouble pacing and anticipating the other player's moves.  Are there any good tricks to make these things easier, or do they just come with practice?  Thanks!

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SpecTackle

Pacing will come when you understand the flow of matches better, as will anticipation. Scout more and draw 'loose' conclusions from your scouting. The rest is all match experience which will only come with more games played.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

Learn enough to know what each unit is and roughly what it does, then go watch a bunch of pro matches with commentary on youtube.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shiftymagician
    @ajamafalous said:

Learn enough to know what each unit is and roughly what it does, then go watch a bunch of pro matches with commentary on youtube.

Definitely this, but also keep an eye out for tricks that can allow you to set your pace and force the other player to react to you, not the other way around.  Anything competitive usually involves one player knowing how to control the flow of the match to their advantage while minimising the need to react to an opposition's pacing and tactics.
    Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riddell
    DAy9.TV (specifically the "Newbie Tuesday" episodes 
    Liquipedia (a good place to start for new SC2 players) 
    TeamLiquid (excellent strategy forum with plenty of guides for beginners)

FInally, and most importantly; play LOTS of Starcraft 2. 

Edit: To be honest, if you're Bronze you don't even need to be concerned about scouting or reading builds. Learn 1 build for each match-up and just A-move into the enemy base. Your macro game is hugely more importantly than micro at lower levels of play (diamond or below)
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By imsh_pl

Just this: there is NO way to get good at Starcraft other than practice. There are no tricks, cheesy builds or units which can outright secure a victory. You just have to be good at the game.

Links:
    http://day9.tv/- Sean "Day9" Plott is a god when it comes to teaching Starcraft. He makes everyday videos called the 'Day9 Dailies' which focus on analyzing high level play. He also makes their weekly variation, 'Newbie Tuesdays' which help newer players understand the basics.
    How to get into Starcraft II, one of the Newbie Tuesday videos I mentioned.
    Team Liquid - the biggest news oriented site when it comes to SC II. Their forums are also helpful for solving specific issues.
    Liquipedia - A Starcraft II wiki.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Twitchey

Don't suck so much dick.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coakroach

All the pro's use this simple, but effective, formula; 

ß + ƒ > 0  

(ß representing your total amount of units and ƒ representing your total amount of buildings)  

Apply this consistently throughout your matches and you'll make platinum in no time!
    Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Bwast

If you see me on, feel free to hit me up for some games.

Walrus.540

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Thule

Post some replays of you playing and people will be able to give you alot more practical advice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.