Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Is someone trying to steal my Starcraft 2 login?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

So I just got this email, but when I clicked the link my browser blocked it saying that it was a a suspicious site. Was someone just trying to steal my account? How am I supposed to know if Blizzard is actually contacting me? This was the email (WITH THE LINKS REMOVED FOR SAFETY):

Dear customer,

Due to suspicious activity, the Battle.net account XXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com has been locked. You logined your account successfully at 13:41:57 on 2010-10-4 from the 144.195.168.17, but our system shows this IP isn't your registered IP. We are concerned about whether your account has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, we need you follow these steps:

Step 1: Secure Your Computer

In the event that your computer has been infected with malicious software such as a keylogger or trojan, simply changing your password may not deter future attacks without first ensuring that your computer is free from these programs. Please visit our Account Security website to learn how to secure your computer from unauthorized access.

Step 2: Secure Your E-mail Account

After you have secured your computer, check your e-mail filters and rules and look for any e-mail forwarding rules that you did not create. For more information on securing your e-mail account, visit our Support page.

Step 3: Restore access to Your account

We now provide a secure website for you to verify whether you have taken the appropriate steps to secure the account, your computer, and your email address. Please follow this site to restore the access to your account: LINK REMOVED

If you still have questions or concerns after following the steps above, feel free to contact Customer Support at LINK REMOVED

Sincerely,
    The Battle.net Account Team
    Online Privacy Policy

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Damn that sucks, use one of those Authenticator from your iPhone, it's what I do.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sanryd

I get a few of these a week. I think I only determined one to be legit the whole year I've been receiving them. I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually can't log in.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Sounds bogus to me.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @tdk08 said:
    " I get a few of these a week. I think I only determined one to be legit the whole year I've been receiving them. I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually can't log in. "
    Yeah, I just tried logging in and tried some single player. It booted right up, so I think I'm okay. Haven't tried multiplayer because I haven't touched that at all yet. If my battle.net account was suspended could I still play single player?
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zithe

This is pretty commonplace for WoW players. (Except I use Gmail and they do a an awesome job of keeping it out.) People try to get you to enter your account and password on their fake site. It's called phishing.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Zithe said:
    " This is pretty commonplace for WoW players. (Except I use Gmail and they do a an awesome job of keeping it out.) People try to get you to enter your account and password on their fake site. It's called phishing. "
    Yeah I figured that's what it was. How do they get access to my email in the first place. I thought Blizzard would be more tight about that...
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By tebbit
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @tdk08 said:

" I get a few of these a week. I think I only determined one to be legit the whole year I've been receiving them. I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually can't log in. "
    Yeah, I just tried logging in and tried some single player. It booted right up, so I think I'm okay. Haven't tried multiplayer because I haven't touched that at all yet. If my battle.net account was suspended could I still play single player? "
    Nope, that login gets you into battle.net, right? I guess if you get to single player, it must have let you in. 

That was a kinda convincing email though. Apart from the shoddy links. Although I'm certain no Blizzard email would ever contain the word "Logined"
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zithe
    @LiquidPrince:  That's a good question. I have no idea.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Tebbit said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

" @tdk08 said:
    Yeah, I just tried logging in and tried some single player. It booted right up, so I think I'm okay. Haven't tried multiplayer because I haven't touched that at all yet. If my battle.net account was suspended could I still play single player? "
    Nope, that login gets you into battle.net, right? I guess if you get to single player, it must have let you in.  That was a kinda convincing email though. Apart from the shoddy links. "
    Nah, it was formatted kind of weirdly, and didn't really look unprofessional. Which is why I was suspicious in the first place. When I clicked the link and it said it was suspicious, I kind of was like alrighty then. The only wierd part was the links provided were something like us.blizzard.forgery.net/jkashdglsdgvuswd or something like that. I was surprised that it seemed like legitimate link.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zithe
    @LiquidPrince:  I would suggest always double checking the link destination in the bottom left corner of your browser. When you hover your mouse over a link, it should show you the URL. Inspect it closely to ensure that it's a legit Blizzard site.
    DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By DougQuaid

I get at least 3 of these every single day being a WoW player.  These emails can be any where from laughable (piss-poor english) to extremely convincing.  I don't know what someone would want with a SC2 only account; just to sell it mayhaps? 

In any case, make sure you have a good, strong password on your Battle.net account along with the email account it's linked with.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShockD

I'm also receiving daily e-mails from "Blizzard" writing me about some bulls*it. I don't really care about BNet account, safety first.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai

People actually fall for this stuff still? like...really? 

I never click anything from a game company unless my account is actually locked. 

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chronologist

I have been through the entire recovery process once and I found that there are three ways to see if it is an actual Blizzard mail or not.  

1. The Email itself. blizzard uses two emails for this kind of stuff: @blizzard.com or battle.net. If it is any other variation of that it's a fake. 
    2. Blizzard will never ask for your password. They themselves are very clear about this. 
    3. Try logging in on www.battle.net with your password and email. 

That email looks like a fake to me. 

EDIT: also the email sent to me ended like this:  

" Regards,

Artriphon
    Account Administration Team

Blizzard Entertainment Europe
    http://eu.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?gameId=11

Please note: A Blizzard Employee will never request the password to your account or e-mail address.     " 
    so yours is definitely a fake.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45

I literally get 3 emails like that a day. 

Mouse of the links. Make sure they're legit. Click nothing. type the website out yourself. 

if you clicked anything, run virus scans, change passwords. It's probably not legit.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ch13696

The best way to verify all your details is to go to the website. Don't click the links on anything. Unless it's to verify a new account.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Hamz

Logined isn't a word. 

Sounds bogus to me!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " So I just got this email, but when I clicked the link my browser blocked it saying that it was a a suspicious site. Was someone just trying to steal my account? How am I supposed to know if Blizzard is actually contacting me? This was the email (WITH THE LINKS REMOVED FOR SAFETY):

Dear customer,

Due to suspicious activity, the Battle.net account XXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com has been locked. You logined your account successfully at 13:41:57 on 2010-10-4 from the 144.195.168.17, but our system shows this IP isn't your registered IP. We are concerned about whether your account has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, we need you follow these steps:

Step 1: Secure Your Computer

In the event that your computer has been infected with malicious software such as a keylogger or trojan, simply changing your password may not deter future attacks without first ensuring that your computer is free from these programs. Please visit our Account Security website to learn how to secure your computer from unauthorized access.

Step 2: Secure Your E-mail Account

After you have secured your computer, check your e-mail filters and rules and look for any e-mail forwarding rules that you did not create. For more information on securing your e-mail account, visit our Support page.

Step 3: Restore access to Your account

We now provide a secure website for you to verify whether you have taken the appropriate steps to secure the account, your computer, and your email address. Please follow this site to restore the access to your account: LINK REMOVED

If you still have questions or concerns after following the steps above, feel free to contact Customer Support at LINK REMOVED

Sincerely,
    The Battle.net Account Team
    Online Privacy Policy

"
    They wont ask for any of your info. They have all that. 
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By raiz265
    @LiquidPrince:  

I've got HUNDRETS of these. 

As long as your account works, ignore them. 

And when there are problems it's probably best to contact the support and wait for THEM to respond to it.    
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Jeffsekai: There's a reason so many Princes of small unknown countries keep asking Americans for their help you know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.