Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

NesTeas out, Koreans are PISSED

• 65 results
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Bummer, better luck next year.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By guiseppe

He won. It doesn't matter how he won as long as he played by the rules, which he did. I really don't see the big deal. But then again I'm not at all into SC tournaments.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Malakhii

You play to win, he won, He shouldn't apologize for that. 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost
    @billnyethesciencepie said:
    " http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=174727   Theyre pissed that  TSL_Rain beat him through cheese and all in rushes.  I would be to if I were NesTea, but this is a tournament, nothing is a cheap. "
    Reading that thread further, it seems like the OP was a little hasty in judging the reaction of the korean fans. There were a few people later on in the thread that stated that the reaction were more moderate, saying that they understand why Terran's like Rain are rushing zerg players so damn often.

I think they are more upset with Blizzard, as TvZ is a fucking horrible mess at the moment. Moreso in the GSL, but so many TvZs just 2rax scv attacks. It sucks.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By m1k3

nice spoilers... thnx

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn
    @Malakhii said:
    " You play to win, he won, He shouldn't apologize for that.  "
    Alls Fair in Love and Starcraft.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By RsistncE

lol korea you so funny. 

cheese is awesome, especially the digital variety.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    @m1k3 said:
    " nice spoilers... thnx "
    Luckily I had just watched. =)
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sixghost
    @billnyethesciencepie said:

" @sixghost: more so since boxer did that shit all the way to the last finals? "

No, you see more scv marine allins/2rax gayness because Korean starcraft is all about finding the absolute most abusive strategies in every matchup and perfecting them to the point where it seems overpowered. You still see a lot of standard TvZs on the NA/EU ladders/tournaments because it's just not boiled down to a science outside of Korea. Also, in Korea there tends to be a real hivemind concerning which strategies are the best. You still see lots of unique styles in foreign games, but, like artosis has mentioned a few times on the broadcasts, Koreans all tend to copy whichever build is the consensus best at the moment.

A great example is looking at just how huge of a difference there is between Jinro's TvZ series against Moon, and just about every other TvZ in the GSL this season.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Gabriel
    @Malakhii said:

Hellmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hellmouth

As long as you follow the rules, everything else is fair game. No one should apologize for winning, unless that person was a sore winner (being a complete dick after winning).

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Malakhii
    @Gabriel: That's exactly what I was going off of, as I watch the Jets get wrecked :(
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sixghost
    @Malakhii said:
    To be honest, he probably wasn't sorry at all. This is just the esports version of damage control. Starcraft fans have a pretty awful history of directing undue hate towards the players who knock out their favorite players, especially when they get cheesed out(which hardly even applies in this case, as 2rax with the possibility of an scv all-in is 100% standard in TvZ these days). You should see some of the TL live report threads from back in BW when players like Bisu/Boxer/Flash would get cheesed out of tournaments. Even Flash was absolutely hated for a long time in the SC community because he beat Bisu in a starleague by cheesing him twice. SC fans can be extremely childish sometimes.

Rain would play the exact same way 100/100 times.
    Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cramsy

You play to win the game.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Malakhii
    @sixghost: That makes perfect sense, the strategy seemed pretty legit as how TvZ has been playing out. Thanks for putting a more of a back story on it, the whole Korean Starcraft scene is still fresh for me, I've only been following through the GSL's, and I had no idea this sort of stuff was normal. 
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By natetodamax

If he didn't break any rules I don't see any reason to be mad at him.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DG991

A win is a win. If you can't handle that, don't watch/play. 

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cataphract1014

This GSL is pretty boring.  Not that I don't think they should do whatever they can to win, but the marine scv all ins are super super boring to watch.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By goodwood

Isnt cheese supposed to be stopped by scouting? Or is this build too dominant against zerg that scouting early wouldnt help much? 
    //I dont follow much of the high level starcraft or the tournaments

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adoggz

dude, way to fucking spoilers.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By leburgan

With 87,000 dollars on the line i'd 2 rax all day long. If I were terran....

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Gabriel said:
    " @Malakhii said:

"
    Ironically, everyone just lost it.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sixghost
    @goodwood said:
    " Isnt cheese supposed to be stopped by scouting? Or is this build too dominant against zerg that scouting early wouldnt help much? //I dont follow much of the high level starcraft or the tournaments "
    That's the strength of the build, it's so hard for zerg to scout after seeing the initial 2rax. In most games the zerg is just forced to sort of guess how the terran will follow up. They can add 2-3 more raxes behind the attack just as easily as they can expand, both of which require entirely different responses.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By JJOR64

lawlz

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By makari

Welp, if they didn't keep 14 hatching as if their balls would drop of if they didn't, maybe this stuff wouldn't happen.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By wunder_
    @makari said:
    " Welp, if they didn't keep 14 hatching as if their balls would drop of if they didn't, maybe this stuff wouldn't happen. "
    Also, 3 Toss in Ro8, lolwat
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DystopiaX

I have a problem with the SCII community whining about every damn thing that happens in the game. No allins and cheeses shouldn't be banned, nor should you hate Rain for winning in such a way. Countless players have proven that these rushes are beatable with the right preparation, and with so much money on the line I wouldn't hesistate to cheese either if I were in that position. The community has to learn that not every damn game is going to be 30 minutes+, with massive bases and late game tech going at each other. It's just part of the game. 

That being said, I think a huge part of the problem is Tastosis and how they HAVE to mention allins/cheese in every game. If there's none present, they'll say "definitely not cheesy, that's a good thing", which pisses me off to no end because as a commentator all Artosis seems to do is QQ about how Zerg is underpowered and how some maps are imba, while using commentary as a cover, play favorites, especially for IdrA, any foreigners, former golden mouse winners, and any zerg player, and then bash players like bitbybitprime for cheesing; he did it again yesterday, around a week after bitbybit got taken out. Jesus christ, at some point the commentators AND the community have to stop complaining about the games they're being shown and just accept the fact that right now the metagame promotes cheesing/early game builds because no one has figured out how to counter them yet. It doesn't mean that the game need patching or rebalancing, just that it's still yound and needs to be figured out.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DystopiaX
    @makari said:
    " Welp, if they didn't keep 14 hatching as if their balls would drop of if they didn't, maybe this stuff wouldn't happen. "
    Also, this. The american servers have seemed to figure out "pool first, quick baneling nest if tons of marine agression, then use that advantage to either win or expand", but all I saw Fruitdealer/Nestea doing was going hatch first or 1base forever in Fruitdealer's case; he just wasn't playing as good as he could. 

On a happier/less ragy note, nice to see a protoss finally make it past Ro8, maybe we'll see something other than TVT TVZs now.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chrissedoff

nothing would please me more than to see someone win big money at a video game tournament by being as cheap as possible.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By audiosnag

Not a fan of that sorta play but at the same time, what else is he gonna do? Let Zerg macro up?
    The 2rax scv push imo is cheap and boring to watch but with that much cash on the line, can't really blame him. Still makes for a boring ass tourney.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeffsekai

Rain is the biggest loser ever.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rockanomics

A rule I follow in my everyday life, and one that I think applies to life as a whole. 

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DystopiaX
    @audiosnag said:
    " Not a fan of that sorta play but at the same time, what else is he gonna do? Let Zerg macro up? The 2rax scv push imo is cheap and boring to watch but with that much cash on the line, can't really blame him. Still makes for a boring ass tourney. "
    Completely agree. If you know you can't win late game, why let it get to that point? And what was NesTea expecting in the 3rd or 4th game of the series when Rain has already done cheese countless times? You'd think he'd be more prepared or something.
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36  Edited By Levio

SC1 ended up revolving around niche strategies that were simply better than alternatives, it's no surprise that SC2 ends up the same way.  The only difference is that each patch will change things up so maybe people won't have time to find an absolute perfect strategy before things get changed up again.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

WAHHHHHHHHHH 

Fans of a ""sport"" are pissed cause a player in that sport is winning by a legitimate play or strategy or something? lol 

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spectreman

Reapers nerf are being revenged.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By haffy
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @makari said:
    Also, this. The american servers have seemed to figure out "pool first, quick baneling nest if tons of marine agression, then use that advantage to either win or expand", but all I saw Fruitdealer/Nestea doing was going hatch first or 1base forever in Fruitdealer's case; he just wasn't playing as good as he could.  On a happier/less ragy note, nice to see a protoss finally make it past Ro8, maybe we'll see something other than TVT TVZs now. "
    Do you play as Zerg? On big maps this might work as long as you can get your creep spread out. But on maps like steps of war you have to go roachs, especially if they go all in and pull SCVs. Banelings would be alright to add after. But the speed at which this rush can comes you can't get a pool baneling nest morph banelings in and save your overlords. At least then you have the option of your drones helping out instead of getting in the way. I'm not saying the rush is overpowered or impossible to stop but I don't think you've played against it properly yet. Also the Terran really doesn't suffer from it at all. Usually they're expanding or adding more barracks after. If a Zerg or Protoss do early rushes the drone or probe count suffers, with this not so much.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DystopiaX
    @haffy Yeah I kind of get it, threw out an example and didnt make it clear, it was late. The idea that i was trying to get across is that you can't get a few lungs then drone up immediately, which is what all the Korean zergs seem to be doing.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ninjakiller

Starcraft 2- a game of deep strategy and planning.  LOL

mattymattmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mattymattmatt

I've been watching the GSL on gomtv.net, but I am not a subscriber so I've only seen the first match of all these games being played, but it seemed to me that Rain made an adjustment from the first match that they played.  If you watch the first match, it goes into a kind-of late game where Nestea is able to macro a HUGE army and just steamroll over Rain.  He has a ton of zerglings and bainlings and dominates Rain's marine army. 

I'm sure that when Rain saw this, he thought to himself that he needs to end these games early in order to stop Nestea's macro production and give himself a chance. 

To be fair though, a lot of games I have seen in the GSL this season involved marine, bunker, SCV rushes with varying degrees of success.  I'm wary of watching any terran games now since I get very bored quickly and sometimes even fall asleep watching the cast, haha.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By stinky

win is a win.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShockD

Well... I still has FruitDealer.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HaltIamReptar

fuckin' bunker rushes, how do they work

karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By karatetron
    @antikorper said:
    " Well... I still has FruitDealer. "
    fruitdeaaleer....
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By benpack

Nothing is cheap, game developers worked countless hours testing this and it's in the game for a reason. Same goes for any sort of game, play the way you play, and if you keep winning, keep doing it until someone finds a way to beat it.

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Entus
    @GlenTennis said:
    " Nothing is cheap, game developers worked countless hours testing this and it's in the game for a reason. Same goes for any sort of game, play the way you play, and if you keep winning, keep doing it until someone finds a way to beat it. "
    "Game developers worked countless hours testing"  is hardly worth anything at this point. The problem is that Blizzard doesn't really have any staff that can play on a MLG or GSL level. The pros are just have such a better understanding of their game. Even looking at a lot of their balance changes and the Blizzard-made map, it's pretty clear that Blizzard is very inexperienced at balancing this type of game.

I am not even mad that Nestea is out. In fact, I have a strong dislike for him and is happy he's out.
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Arkanti

Way to post spoilers in the subject line yo. Stay classy.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Malakhii
    @ninjakiller said:
    " Starcraft 2- a game of deep strategy and planning.  LOL "
    Well when you look at all the hours they've put in to learn each strategy and counter measure, in order to reach the level they have, then yeah it's a little deep.  

@Arkanti
    said:
    " Way to post spoilers in the subject line yo. Stay classy. "  
    Look at it like a sporting event, the results are going to be out there, and discussed. It's up to you to avoid them. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.