Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Who's calling in to work to play this game on release?

neozephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By neozephyrox

Me. I work nights and i'm gonna make up some garbage so i can go to midnight release.  Who all is calling in tuesday?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Koreans.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @neozephyrox:  Why do you have to call in can't you just request the day off? Do you get vacation/PTO where you work? That is what I do when there is a game I really want to play coming out.
    neozephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By neozephyrox

at my job we have to request our vacation days early in the year and once they're posted, that's it. sick days and personals are all that i have left.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm seriously sick man.  

*coughs 

*Plays Starcraft 2

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @neozephyrox:  Damn that sucks at my job we get 8hrs PTO a month and we can build it up if we don't use it. Right now I am sitting on about 95hrs PTO. We can use it whenever as long as we request it off a week in advance. Wish I could take off for Starcraft 2 because I was really wanting to try it out but my laptop barely passes the minimum requirements for the game.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By floodiastus

I dont really get what the hype is about this game. I played starcraft back in the day and it was pretty great, but a shitload of RTS has hit the market mixing up the formula since then, like Dawn of War 2 with coversystems and squadbased tactics taking a large and much needed role. SC2 just seems like starcraft 1 with flashier graphics, am I missing something here? 

And no im not a hardcore Korean RTS player, obviously :)

neozephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By neozephyrox
    @floodiastus: 

idk man. i never played the original and i was in the Beta for this and it was just so much fun.  the giant bomb tournament hosted by Harris was fantastic! i haven't had my blood pumping like that from a video game in a long time.  i just really enjoy this game and i haven't even played the campaign. that new Ghosts of the Past trailer makes me want to do just that. 
    Casshern1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Casshern1981

i requested a day off, so i am covered!!! ;-)

TwistedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By TwistedGamer

i would love to, but i don't know what day its being delivered :p

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Addfwyn

I'm a grad student and our summer vacation here actually starts the day after SC2 comes out, it's pretty brilliant timing.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gike987
    @floodiastus said:

" I dont really get what the hype is about this game. I played starcraft back in the day and it was pretty great, but a shitload of RTS has hit the market mixing up the formula since then, like Dawn of War 2 with coversystems and squadbased tactics taking a large and much needed role. SC2 just seems like starcraft 1 with flashier graphics, am I missing something here?  And no im not a hardcore Korean RTS player, obviously :) "

Yeah that's why everyone hated SFIV so much. Who wants the old playstyle when we can have new and awesome stuff like Soul Calibur IV. 
    Most of my friend who love RTS games hated Dawn of War 2. Down of War 2 mix up the formula too much for most fans of RTS games.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Addfwyn
    @floodiastus: Generally, the appeal to Starcraft has been a VERY low barrier to entry (the game is very easy to pick up and play, it set the standard for RTS games for a reason.  You don't have a metric crapton of units like in games like Age of Empires, or some of the more intensive squadbased stuff of Dawn of War.  The simplicity is actually a plus) combined with a VERY high skill ceiling for competitive play.  There's always macro and micro to work on, and nobody will ever be perfect with those.   

Easy to play, easy to get in to, impossible to ever truly master makes it pretty much a pinnacle of competitive RTS play.  Also, for singleplayer fans, Blizzard crafts a pretty mean story.  
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By flaminghobo

I still haven't understood what all the fuss is about StarCraft II, but I won't be one of those pulling a sicky to play it.
    In fact, I probably won't end up playing it at all.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By warchief

I'll have the week off, because tomorrow I am resigning.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Nekroskop

I'm still in the middle of my summervecation :) although I will probably buy the game, finish the singleplayer campaign and give the game to my brother. I cannot possibly win against people who have been playing this game for 12 years. I stopped playing it in 1999.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By mosdef
    @ahaisthisourchance:  I'll see you in the bronze ladder partna.  I stopped playing in the same year.  So my goal for SC2 is to loose a little less embarrassingly each day.   
    neozephyrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By neozephyrox
    @ahaisthisourchance:

i really believe in the matchmaking system.  i never played starcraft 1 and wasn't a big rts vet from command and conquer and i still managed to win almost 40% of my games in the beta.  i feel like there will battlenet will be much more saturated with n00bs when the actual game comes out to and i don't believe people will have trouble finding like-skilled opponents.  i think it's a shame that so many people keep saying they aren't interested in multiplayer due to all the starcraft pros. 
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By wchigo

Yeah, it's really not that bad. I played very little of SC and BW multiplayer, as I was always probably the worst player out of all my IRL friends so I got destroyed every time we played. I went from turtling with cannons and teching to carriers, to a player who ONLY massed Dragoons, to a somewhat below-average Terran player after watching some SlayerS_Boxer replays, but I stopped shortly after that.

And yet I'm finding decent success at SC2. I was put into Bronze league after my placement matches in phase 1, where I only played around 10 games total before the beta went down. In phase 2, I was placed into Silver and actually had a better than .500 record, to the point where I was being pitted against players in the Gold, Plat and Diamond leagues. A lot of that had to do with watching a lot of Day[9] dailies I believe, as it really tightened up my play. Getting a build order down, making sure money stays low, not getting supply blocked, etc, so I strongly agree with neozephyrox.

Anyways... I work an early shift tomorrow, so I will be able to attend the midnight launch of SC2 no problem. But I do have work the following day (and all the rest of the week as well =/), so my playtime will be somewhat limited. *sigh*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.