Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

ZERG RAGEQUIT

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

hey terran and protoss: wall off and rush to colossi and thors quicker please, I'm not losing fast enough.   Any other zerg players feeling lost and hopeless like me?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Do not despair Zerg bretheren 
    Whenever i feel lost or overwhelmed, i remember the national anthem of the zerg military! 

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By normalpants

on a slightly less hysterical note, I would like some advice from better zerg players (all zerg players?) on what I should do about this seemingly failsafe trend in protoss and terran play.  Most players I face are rushing to these units as quickly as possible to augment their mass marines or stalkers, so I either have to assume my opponent is doing this and plan accordingly, or wait for the scout to confirm my fears, which means my asshole will soon be turned inside-out.  If they know that I know they're rushing to these units, it's not too tremendously difficult for them to counter my counter even quicker.  I'm in gold but I think it's a mistake.  please help :(

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By BunkerBuster

Mass Roach destroys Gateway units and Collosi. If there's no Marauders/Medivac they destroy Thors too. You probably need to work on your macro.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

Scout more and macro more. If he's rushing to Collosi, amass more Roaches. As Day [9] says, when the opponent gets his first Collosi, he is not invincible. He is vulnerable, because of his lack of gateway units. You need to pre-emptively strike at that moment or before then. The longer the game drags on and you don't do anything about it, the more disadvantaged you might be.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Thule

I could give alot better advice if you posted some replays. All I've got to go on now if that you lose to Thors and Colossi.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Turambar

If terran or protoss just walls off and turtles, zerg can just take half the expansions on the map.  No amounts of thors or collosi off one base will matter if you can easily replenish a 200/200 army.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OmegaPirate

Yeah sorry that video didn't really help with anything, was actually stalling while i looked for a link to a build i saw that focused on massing roaches pretty quickly that dealt with most forms of marauder rushes, or could easily be used to harrass a turtling terran / toss base while you claim the rest of the map for your own!  

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/02/genetic-algorithms-find-build-order-from-hell/comment-page-2/#comments  

Not sure if that will still be a valid tactic now (havent played sc2 in like, a month) but if its still a valid tactic i'd suggest giving it a try! 

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @normalpants: Baneling bust or quick expand to muta ling. Use muta to harrass mineral line constantly to keep protoss/terran from expanding and keep them contained while you continue to expand then when your macro is good enough go in for the kill.
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Rayeth

Players that wall off and rush to higher tech units are often very vulnerable to early harassment. Depending on the map Mutalisks or Speedling/Baneling attacks can be great.  However it is not every that easy just me saying that isn't going to turn your games into victories.  You need to practice these builds.  As they say practice makes perfect!

Barring that, take advantage of the fact they are not moving out and expand.  Take one or maybe sometimes two extra bases and macro up hard.   If your economy is up massively, a 100 food roach army is going to crush the 2 Thors or Colossi the other player has.   Roaches in general are the units you want to have to hold down the ground forces, while a few corruptors will LEVEL colossi/most air units  and provide an easy transition into Broodlords.   Honestly Colossi are not that big a threat unless you have mass hydras or speedlings.  The real fear is the stalkers killing all your roaches and taking out your air units which are doing the damage to the colossi.

I know it sounds silly, but to play Zerg you really need to work on macro mechanics.  Always being on top of injections and spreading creep via tumors, make sure you are always using your larva.   AND SCOUT LIKE MAD!   You will have to sacrifice an overlord to it, but the information can be invaluable.  Seeing if they are going for banshees vs Thors is super important.

In the end practice is the only medicine.  You will lose tons of games getting the macro and scouting stuff down, but it is all a learning experience and once you have absorbed the knowledge of the timings and perfected your injection and expansion  timings you will crush nerds like only the Zerg can.  Keep fighting!

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Rockanomics

I gave up a while ago, I really want to get into it but the game is so damn disheartening.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

Since thors and collosi take a pretty long time to tech up to. why not just baneling bust with mass ling or few roaches?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @normalpants: Take infinity bases, creep up the map, build a Spire and Infestor Pit, sac an OL to scout, react accordingly.  If you're having this much trouble with turtlers it probably means you aren't droning hard enough.  Unless they're going Voidray / Colossus lolol you should be able to beat them on reaction with proper scouting.  Get 1 or 2 Infestors early.  With a few Fungal Growths you can easily delay a Robotics push long enough to get your whatever you need to counter up in time.

Don't underestimate the power of 1 or 2 Spine Crawlers.  In most situations, even if they could steamroll your front door with their force in 2 seconds, players will hang back and try to take out your static defense using their Colossi only which buys you even more time.  Macro + Time = Victory when you're Zerg.

Also, 1 or 2 Infestors with Burrow and Neural Parasite can easily sneak behind the army and take over the heavy hitters once they engage your force.  Basically I'm saying Infestors + whatever unit counter you need.  And drones!
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Rayfield

New awesome baby name = Zerg Ragequit.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Donos

Requisite plug: Infestor Hydra

Seriously though, I pretty much agree with StarvingGamer's points, though I'd recommend getting quite a few more infestors if possible (I prefer 8 - 10), as people tend to focus them down ASAP and you can do some very fun things with all that extra energy. Also, since you're geting the infestation pit and expanding a lot, you're in a good position to get turtle-breakers like Ultralisks and Brood Lords.

Edit: And remember, even if they can turtle and build a maxed army that kills yours, remember: You're zerg, and you've got a bunch of expansions. Keep injecting larva and you can rebuild your entire army in the time it takes them to get one Colossus/Thor. Dorwning people in blood is a legitimate strategy.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By audiosnag

I'm by no means a great player but yeah turtle = expand everywhere. When they do move out you can drown them in a sea of blood.  Or if you wanna apply early pressure, baneling bust. Even if you don't take them out, they'll most likely devote more of their one bases resources to defending. Muta harass is always fun too. 
    But yeah, expand like crazy and deny any of his. Long games where you starve his ass out are just as satisfying as short ones.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Donos: 8-10 Infestors is great, but it's much more realistic to have 2 by the time the first push comes.  Any player turtling off of one base (or even two) is going to need to push relatively early before Zerg swallows the entire map.  Going overboard on Infestors will gas starve you, making it harder to react with a mass of higher tech units when necessary.
    SoulPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SoulPunisher

i have found as a zerg player myself, if toss or terran is turteling up, i get my first expo as soon as i can, get all 4 gases going, then i tech up to corruptors and broodlords asap, i dont even build other units if there is no threat of an attack, they usually arent expecting broodlords on the first attack, and with the range of the broodlords being so fantastically awesome, only air units can threaten them, so i keep my corruptors nearby to clean any of them up, this build works for me almost every time when there is no threat of an attack
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Addfwyn

for ZvP, when they start incorporating colossi, just start adding corruptors to your army. Don't use too many, because they limit the ground forces you can field, but a handful of corruptors absolutely decimate colossi.  Make sure to use the corruptor's ability on the colossi to drop them even faster.   

Grab more based and starve them out, and for the love of god don't engage the toss in a narrow choke, or they can funnel your forces with fields and colossi all day.  Hydraroach with corruptors is a pretty solid composition if they go stalker/zealot/colossi.   

ZvT I don't really ever see Thors anymore, I just don't find them that dangerous except on Lost Temple.  mutaling still works well here, just make sure to magic box your mutas so the splash doesn't hit all of them.  Thors aren't that dangerous to mutas if they aren't clumped up.  Most terrans I see that go heavy into thors are a pretty mech-based army, which makes them really vulnerable to air (thors often being their only antiair).  Blords help make short work of them as well, especially against siege tanks that tend to accompany most mech armies.

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By normalpants

I'm thankful for all of the advice but a lot of it seems to be catering to perfect situations.  Like every Zerg player, I know and love the magic box technique, but it's virtually useless if the Thors are accompanied by SCVs and a handful of Marines which are auto-followed and attack moved.  As far as Colossi, letting them pick off my colonies from ranged gets me a few extra seconds, but as soon as I make any push with my army on the colossus, here come the blink stalkers, attack-moving their way to victory and maybe blinking back if they overcommit.   

What I'm trying to say is that Terran and Protoss can make a push that is incredibly difficult to handle with very little micro, while I am forced to react perfectly to their aggression or face total destruction.  If my attention happens to have been elsewhere while the attack begins, by the time I've hit spacebar, a quarter of my army is likely already fried.  

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @normalpants Ok I think I know whatr the problem is, you're reacting too late. Always keep something right in front of their base like a ling. By the time they move out you should have 3 Hatches up with 4+ larvae each.

You hear your ling die, hit spacebar and catch a glimpse of their unit comp. Use your 3 Hatches to immediately build 12+ of whatever you need. Throw down 2-3 Spine Crawlers whever seems best.

Put another few lings halfway between your bases, preferrably on a Xel'Naga tower. Between these lings and your creep spread, if you see them still coming, keep pumping attacking units and spawning larvae with your Queens. Send a pack of lings to try and break into their main.

If at this point they haven't pulled back to deal with your harassment, you can use the 1 or 2 Infestors you should have by now to Fungal them and slow them down a bit more. Start moving your units that have finished building into position to flank their army when it arrives.

By this point, if they haven't given up on the push, you should have a relatively fearsome army yourself. I played basically this exact game against a Toss player that turtled on 2 base then moved out with 6 Colossi and a big Stalker/Sentry/Zealot ball.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @normalpants Whoops hit submit by accident and can't edit, stupid mobile site :-P.

Basically our armies collided, he killed my army with 2 Colossi and about 6 Stalkers left, but my macro was so strong that I instantly bounced back with a second army nearly as strong as my first.

I crushed through him, ran to his base and ate his family.

Of course this won't work on Steppes because fuck that map.
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arkanti

You're being too harsh of the other races, they aren't as easy to manage or impenetrable as you make them out to be.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Thule
    @normalpants:

Post some replays of you losing to this so people can get a better idea of what you can improve on. Right now, everything is just speculation.
    danyul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By danyul

Thors backed up by SCVs can be a real pain, although a sizeable force of roaches should out dps them. I wish Blizzard would change the unit attacking to kill repairing units, as it makes things like PFs really hard to kill. 

But as for terran mech, Ultras + Roaches + Zerglings is the way to go. Toss in a few mutalisks to snipe some tanks. Ultras have pretty terrible AI, but their ability to soak up damage is amazing. Roaches are incredible for the cost now, and become even better if youre getting upgrades, and zerglings are just there to use up the remaining minerals, and surround the enemy as mech is incredibly slow. 

Make sure youre getting upgrades though, thats the best advice I can give you as a zerg player. They really pay off. For example a tank in siege mode does 35 damage with a blast radius. Zerglings have 35hp. With 1 armor, no zerglings would die from 1 tank hit. Thats a big payoff.

ebritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ebritt

I moved from zerg to protos a couple of weeks ago because i wasn't getting much luck. But given my brief time as protoss i can easily say the most annoying thing to combat against zerg is constant muta harras. 

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @StarvingGamer said:
     Don't underestimate the power of 1 or 2 Spine Crawlers.  In most situations, even if they could steamroll your front door with their force in 2 seconds, players will hang back and try to take out your static defense using their Colossi only which buys you even more time.
    Who in the world are these people?  I play at Bronze and I have not seen anybody not walk past a static defense since my early games.
    SoulPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SoulPunisher

dont get frustrated dude, just know what your opponent is doing, and react accordingly, ive learned this the hard way because i always used to go the same build every time, if blink stalkers come out, build a wall of roaches with hydras behind them, and wall up your base too, HDstarcraft has a good tutorial on how to do this, build like 3 or 4 spinecrawlers and put evo-chambers in front of them, the spine crawlers can reach past the evo-chambers, but the evo-chambers block the spine crawlers from getting hit, zerg is kinda macro intense, but worth it when you get the hang of it, you want corruptors against collosis for sure, so go for a lair as soon as you can, and try to sneek in behind them, as protoss will normally keep the collosi in the back, then roaches and hydras can take on the stalkers and what not on the front line, then once the collosi are out, mutate into broodlords, but make sure you keep some corrupters to attack any air units that might be out there, DONT GIVE UP MAN!!!!! zerg is awesome, i thought i would never learn them, my micro sucks, but my macro is so good, usually it doesnt matter, and dont go back to your base to spawn larva, i see alot of people doing this, you can do it right on the mini-map if your queens are hot-keyed, hope this helped, maybe we can play a few matches somtime and i can show you what i mean, not that im a great player or anything, but just looking to help out a fellow zerg :-)
    Lordborg909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lordborg909
    @Rockanomics said:
    " I gave up a while ago, I really want to get into it but the game is so damn disheartening. "
    This.... I havent played a game in like 2 months, just cant be arsed with he competitiveness of it all

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.