Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stargate

Franchise »

Originally a Science fiction film, Stargate premiered in 1994 and was converted into a syndicated TV series, Stargate SG-1, three years later. SG-1 lasted 10 seasons, and its spin-off series, Stargate Atlantis, lasted for five, with a further series spin-off, Stargate Universe, lasting two seasons before cancellation.

Stargate Universe cancelled.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Liam_mk

I was just wondering what your guys opinion was concerning Stargate universe and it's cancellation. Personally, as a Stargate fan-boy, I loved it and am very disappointed I won't be watching it for years to come.  I know that it had a group of haters that rivaled its fans so I was just wondering what the general opinion was on giantbomb. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

My interest in Stargate died with SG-1. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Enigma777

I've never heard of this game before. However, considering the source material, it probably wouldn't have been very good. Then again I like to talk out of my ass a lot...

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Liam_mk
    @Enigma777: Not a game, it's the latest Stargate series on T.V (sorry should have clarified)
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Enigma777
    @Liam_mk: Ah, I see. I thought it was an MMO...
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By mikemcn

It got cancelled? Why?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Mikemcn said:

" It got cancelled? Why? "

Cause it was trying to be Battle star galatica. It was shit and had little to nothing to do with the other series and tried to be its own thing. IT was shitty and I am glad it was canceled.  

It was a horrible version of the universe and chances are low ratings killed it. 
    Raulito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Raulito

I tried to get into it but couldn't stand the parts where it became an emo music video.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Liam_mk
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Cause it was trying to be Battle star galatica. It was shit and had little to nothing to do with the other series and tried to be its own thing. IT was shitty and I am glad it was canceled.   It was a horrible version of the universe and chances are low ratings killed it.  "
    See, I didn't get that at all. Other than the first couple episodes (Which, even as a fanboy, I have to admit kinda sucked) I never got the whole BSG with stargates thing. I thought it was a nice change from the SG1 and SGA formula. I thought it progressed the universe in a direction that no one expected and i loved it for that.

And it got canceled because of low ratings. Though there is speculation it could come back.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Liam_mk said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Cause it was trying to be Battle star galatica. It was shit and had little to nothing to do with the other series and tried to be its own thing. IT was shitty and I am glad it was canceled.   It was a horrible version of the universe and chances are low ratings killed it.  "
    See, I didn't get that at all. Other than the first couple episodes (Which, even as a fanboy, I have to admit kinda sucked) I never got the whole BSG with stargates thing. I thought it was a nice change from the SG1 and SGA formula. I thought it progressed the universe in a direction that no one expected and i loved it for that.  And it got canceled because of low ratings. Though there is speculation it could come back. "
    It sucked. They went way to slow. Nothing happened in any episodes and to many ended in that sort of " Wink at the camera" Like when they figure out right at the end this guy did this " Or did he" sort of crap. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Cause it was trying to be Battle star galatica."
    Pretty much this.  

Stylistically it was cribbing a lot from BSG. Too bad it didn't have the great writing, plot, or characters to back it up. 
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

And nothing of value was lost.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Liam_mk
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Liam_mk said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

See, I didn't get that at all. Other than the first couple episodes (Which, even as a fanboy, I have to admit kinda sucked) I never got the whole BSG with stargates thing. I thought it was a nice change from the SG1 and SGA formula. I thought it progressed the universe in a direction that no one expected and i loved it for that.  And it got canceled because of low ratings. Though there is speculation it could come back. "
    It sucked. They went way to slow. Nothing happened in any episodes and to many ended in that sort of " Wink at the camera" Like when they figure out right at the end this guy did this " Or did he" sort of crap.  "
    I  agree that the first season was, for the most part, badly paced. Though in there defense, they were setting up back stories for the next 5 years. The second season though was amazing. The new story arc of "Destiny's mission" is very exciting. Plus the Lucian alliance gives them their action sequences.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Stargate was about going though a big ass ring and curb stomping some guld with a dude called Telk. Not some tossed toghter group whos personalities changed from week to week. 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FreakAche

I don't know it seemed alright, although I think SG-1 was the only Stargate show that really needed to exist.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Liam_mk
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Stargate was about going though a big ass ring and curb stomping some guld with a dude called Telk. Not some tossed toghter group whos personalities changed from week to week.  "
    I don't know what you mean by "changed from week to week" but franchises can't have the same characters forever. As much as I loooooooove Richard Dean Anderson and crew, they got old (literally) and they needed to bring in fresh blood and fresh ideas.
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UnrealDP
    @MooseyMcMan:
    Dude tell me about it.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Liam_mk said:
    " Stargate was about going though a big ass ring and curb stomping some guld with a dude called Telk. Not some tossed toghter group whos personalities changed from week to week.  "
    I don't know what you mean by "changed from week to week" but franchises can't have the same characters forever. As much as I loooooooove Richard Dean Anderson and crew, they got old (literally) and they needed to bring in fresh blood and fresh ideas. "
    How each person acted changed each week. It was strange. 
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Liam_mk
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Liam_mk said:
    I don't know what you mean by "changed from week to week" but franchises can't have the same characters forever. As much as I loooooooove Richard Dean Anderson and crew, they got old (literally) and they needed to bring in fresh blood and fresh ideas. "
    How each person acted changed each week. It was strange.  "
    Other than evolving as characters (Which is good) I don't see what you mean. :\
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By jkz
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " My interest in Stargate died with SG-1.  "
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Liam_mk
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    " My interest in Stargate died with SG-1.  "
    "
    Unfortunately I have an addictive personality, you give me more of something and ill take it XD.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Turambar
    @Liam_mk:  If it got better in season 2, it was far too late.  That time traveling episode was the only bright spot of the entire first season.  Too bad it was sandwiched by soap opera plot.  No one, me included, wanted anything to do with the show after that.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demyx

The show is actually not too bad. It was getting good actually. But I can't say I care much. Where have you been though? It was canceled a while ago.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

I watched 10 episodes and still didn't know what the show was about. How many times can you barely escape from some new space ship crisis independent of an actual tangible enemy? I also thought the whole mindswitch thing was just a device used to add standard soup opera melodrama that wasn't very interesting. Not a terrible show, but it was extremely easy for me to fall off.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By toowalrus

I'm not interested in any Stargate that doesn't involve Richard Dean Anderson.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Chris2KLee

Old news. They killed it sometime late last year. It got off to a rough start, and the need to ape the seriousness of BSG didn't help them either. I loved SG-1 and Atlantis because it was a fun adventure every week. You dial the gate, grab a P90 and blaze some alien fools while making witty remarks. Simple formula, but it worked. Here's hoping the take a break though and get back to basics in a few years. Earth based team and a gate, done.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Liam_mk
    @ryanwho said:
    " I watched 10 episodes and still didn't know what the show was about. How many times can you barely escape from some new space ship crisis independent of an actual tangible enemy? I also thought the whole mindswitch thing was just a device used to add standard soup opera melodrama that wasn't very interesting. Not a terrible show, but it was extremely easy for me to fall off. "
    Your completely right, other than Eli, the communication stone scenes fucking sucked. But they got rid of all of that in Season 2.

@Demyx said:
    " The show is actually not too bad. It was getting good actually. But I can't say I care much. Where have you been though? It was canceled a while ago. "
    I've....I've been busy.

@Turambar said:
    " @Liam_mk:  If it got better in season 2, it was far too late.  That time traveling episode was the only bright spot of the entire first season.  Too bad it was sandwiched by soap opera plot.  No one, me included, wanted anything to do with the show after that. "

Again all that is gone in season 2.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BraveToaster

The only good thing about Stargate was the movie. 

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Turambar
    @Liam_mk said:

@Turambar said:

" @Liam_mk:  If it got better in season 2, it was far too late.  That time traveling episode was the only bright spot of the entire first season.  Too bad it was sandwiched by soap opera plot.  No one, me included, wanted anything to do with the show after that. "
    Again all that is gone in season 2. "
    I knew that, and yet I did not give a damn.  That is the extent to which they fucked up season 1. 
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By DocHaus

I wanted to like SG:U, but in the first episode they took out a good chunk of suspense with the magical stones that allowed them to talk to Richard Dean Anderson and the gang back on Earth instead of the promising "oh shit how do we survive" plot that stretched across the newer Battlestar Galactica. That and another episode where the fat nerdy guy and the senator's daughter went to a nightclub and slept with each other (in someone else's bodies) seemed so out of fucking nowhere that I couldn't believe it was even the same show.

LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LittleBigJono
    @Raulito said:
    " I tried to get into it but couldn't stand the parts where it became an emo music video. "
    Aha, I completely agree with this. But otherwise I didn't mind SGU too much, SG1 and Atlantis were clearly the best but I didn't mind SGU. Now there's nothing stargate related to watch :( except rumours of more movies
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Liam_mk said:
    " @Liam_mk said:
    How each person acted changed each week. It was strange.  "
    Other than evolving as characters (Which is good) I don't see what you mean. :\ "
    I'm guessing you don't see a lot of things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.