If/When Steam shuts down...

#1 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (693 posts) -

So say that the Steam service is one day shut down for whatever reason. Do you think that before Valve stops support for the platform they would release a patch or something to allow me to "free" all my games from Steam as it were. So that I can still play all the games I've purchased over it even when it's gone? Totally hypothetical but just a random thought that came into my head as I bought a couple games of Steam just now.

#2 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

Probably. As they are still 'your' games as I understand it, so valve can't just take them away.

#3 Posted by Creamypies (4012 posts) -

I don't think Steam will ever shut down, so you ain't got much to worry about.

#4 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4037 posts) -

Yes, they've discussed this before somewhere. I think they said something about a 'patch' or sending you physical copies. Either way, your games will always be YOUR game.

#5 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4874 posts) -
@DCFGS3 said:
" Probably. As they are still 'your' games as I understand it, so valve can't just take them away. "
Hmmm, for some reason I think shutting the service down would be completely legal. But I'm no expert. 

Any... uh... copyright/licensing professionals?
#6 Posted by Darkstar614 (1097 posts) -

Steam isn't going anywhere unless Microsoft somehow bans them from operating on Windows. But you don't have anything to worry about, they will let you play your games if it ever exploded. I expect to be long dead when that happens...

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11260 posts) -

Probably. But I don't see Steam shutting down any time soon. But knowing Valve, even if they do announce that Steam is shutting down, it will probably be a decade or so years before they actually go ahead with it.

#8 Posted by zudthespud (3276 posts) -

Valve should buy Onlive and merge it with Steam.

#9 Posted by newt (92 posts) -

The games are licensed to you.  More to the point, Valve is seemingly printing money with steam, so it doesn't matter?

#10 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (693 posts) -

I know it doesn't really matter. It was just a thought that came to me. Cheers for the replies.

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (13972 posts) -
@DCFGS3 said:
" Probably. As they are still 'your' games as I understand it, so valve can't just take them away. "
The Steam Subscriber Agreement looks pretty terminable to me. So yeah, they could take away your access to the service. Whether they could terminate the entire service is not as clear, but I think it does allow them to do that. And it looks they're not actually required to ensure you're able to play the games you've purchased either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.