Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

If/When Steam shuts down...

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

So say that the Steam service is one day shut down for whatever reason. Do you think that before Valve stops support for the platform they would release a patch or something to allow me to "free" all my games from Steam as it were. So that I can still play all the games I've purchased over it even when it's gone? Totally hypothetical but just a random thought that came into my head as I bought a couple games of Steam just now.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DCFGS3

Probably. As they are still 'your' games as I understand it, so valve can't just take them away.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I don't think Steam will ever shut down, so you ain't got much to worry about.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Yes, they've discussed this before somewhere. I think they said something about a 'patch' or sending you physical copies. Either way, your games will always be YOUR game.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @DCFGS3 said:
    " Probably. As they are still 'your' games as I understand it, so valve can't just take them away. "
    Hmmm, for some reason I think shutting the service down would be completely legal. But I'm no expert. 

Any... uh... copyright/licensing professionals?
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Darkstar614

Steam isn't going anywhere unless Microsoft somehow bans them from operating on Windows. But you don't have anything to worry about, they will let you play your games if it ever exploded. I expect to be long dead when that happens...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Probably. But I don't see Steam shutting down any time soon. But knowing Valve, even if they do announce that Steam is shutting down, it will probably be a decade or so years before they actually go ahead with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Valve should buy Onlive and merge it with Steam.

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By newt

The games are licensed to you.  More to the point, Valve is seemingly printing money with steam, so it doesn't matter?

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

I know it doesn't really matter. It was just a thought that came to me. Cheers for the replies.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
    @DCFGS3 said:
    " Probably. As they are still 'your' games as I understand it, so valve can't just take them away. "
    The Steam Subscriber Agreement looks pretty terminable to me. So yeah, they could take away your access to the service. Whether they could terminate the entire service is not as clear, but I think it does allow them to do that. And it looks they're not actually required to ensure you're able to play the games you've purchased either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.