Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

RECOMMEND ME GAMES, I GIFT YOU GAME!!! (DUE JULY 3RD)

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
    SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

Edited By SuicidalSnowman

Despite the epic Steam sale going on, I have yet to make any purchases.  At all. 

I am opening this up to the GB community, hoping for some recommendations to help me cut through the mass of games on sale. 

Guidelines/Info 

1.  I play on Mac, so it has be Mac supported. 
    2.  Its a MacBookPro, 2.2Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo type.  Has a GeForce 8600M GT.  I take pretty good care of it, but it isn't brand new.  Runs Half-Life 2 just fine, but struggles quite heavily with TF2...
    3. Check my current library on GB's achievements page
    4. I will also be posting both specific questions as well as accepting general recommendations.
    5. Don't just link me to GB, Gamespot, MetaCritic, etc reviews, I can read those myself, thanks.
    6. I don't want to just hear "This game roxxorz my soxxorz!"
    7. If you have Steam, and are incredibly useful in your recommendations, I will gift you a game, limit of $15 USD.

Yep! So i suggest following me, I will be updating this throughout the weekend.  The sale ends July 4th, so obviously this has to finish before then.
    SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

Despite the epic Steam sale going on, I have yet to make any purchases.  At all. 

I am opening this up to the GB community, hoping for some recommendations to help me cut through the mass of games on sale. 

Guidelines/Info 

1.  I play on Mac, so it has be Mac supported. 
    2.  Its a MacBookPro, 2.2Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo type.  Has a GeForce 8600M GT.  I take pretty good care of it, but it isn't brand new.  Runs Half-Life 2 just fine, but struggles quite heavily with TF2...
    3. Check my current library on GB's achievements page
    4. I will also be posting both specific questions as well as accepting general recommendations.
    5. Don't just link me to GB, Gamespot, MetaCritic, etc reviews, I can read those myself, thanks.
    6. I don't want to just hear "This game roxxorz my soxxorz!"
    7. If you have Steam, and are incredibly useful in your recommendations, I will gift you a game, limit of $15 USD.

Yep! So i suggest following me, I will be updating this throughout the weekend.  The sale ends July 4th, so obviously this has to finish before then.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

Torchlight is a good game to play. It's Diablo clone done by the original creators of Diablo. This game is also able to run on a netbook. So your Mac can run it just fine. There's also mod support for this game too. People create all kinds of characters and levels. But I'm not sure if there is mod support for the Mac version though. Look it up. Another good game is World of Goo. Its pretty unique with its puzzles. Basically you have a bunch of goo balls that you have to stack up and get sucked into a tube. Of course theirs obstacles. It's an indie game so it'll run on your Mac.

JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus
    @ch13696:  I completely agree with this as I purchased torchlight when it was on sale yesterday.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CowMuffins
    World of Goo is an exciting puzzle game that can easily run on your laptop. It requires the player to take goo and link them together and reach an end goal that is a tube. The player needs to get a certain amount of goo balls into the tube in order to win. Different goo types are used for the different puzzling levels, and you will surely play it more than once.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

Counter Strike Source is a ton of fun, its a great team based fist person multiplayer shooter, the combat feels really good and it has a huge community (Even larger than that of TF2 at 70 thousand players logging on every day). The main game takes alot of effort to warm up to but once you have you'll love it, also, it has a fantastic mod community, so if you dislike the main game there are always other sources of fun. (Maybe that is different on Mac, i can't be sure) 

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kishan6

Ya i Would say Torchlight is a great choice.  However it is only good if u are the type of guy who likes collecting things and loves looting 
    Red Orchestra is a Very Realistic WW2 first person shooter it  doesnt  have the best graphics and while i havent played it i can assume that it is pretty well optimized and u can run it 
    Bioshock is 5$ i dont know if u have played it but its one of the best games of the last decade.  it may be a struggle for ur rig but its totally worth playing even on low settings 
    Dragon Age Origins is another game where its iffy if u could run it or not but is a blast to play if ur willing to try it and like games similar to Baldurs gate 
    Thief deadly shadows u most likely could run and is a fun first person stealth game that is 3$  
    Unreal Tournament  2004 is a really fun old school Competitive FPS with lots of mods for it its a great deal for 8$ 
    Personally i love counter strike and am sure that u could run it pretty smoothly if ur into those types of games
    BUY HALF LIFE 1 its one of the greatest games of all time and u could easily run it very smoothly.  i replayed it last year and it held up very well 
    Day of Defeat is pretty cool 
    Left 4 Dead is completely fantastic but you probly would have some trouble running it

Moose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Moose

Sam and Max is an obvious choice too. Well written, compact, and with some of the best music and voice acting you'll hear in a game. Both seasons work standalone, or you could buy episode by episode. I think the fourth has been released for free to promote it, it's definitely worth checking out, if only for the "War" song. Seriously, youtube it. 

Mac gamers still have a raw deal, but between Altitude and Torchlight, I can keep busy when I can't get to my PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems you already own many of the good mac games, but there's some stuff that I can't tell if you own or not.

Counter-strike Source: the ultimate multiplayer FPS. Recently updated with new achievements and content. If you like shooting dudes, get this game. 

Sam and Max: A parody of... everything. Witty dialogue and funny puzzles. 

Civilization IV: I could play this game for days. It's fifteen bucks right now, and at that price, it's insane. It doesn't require knowing all of the game mechanics to have a good time with it. I still don't understand everything but have played it for countless hours. So addicting. 

Braid: If you buy none of the other games, buy this one. Some of the puzzles may get really hard and occasionally frustrating, but there's an amazing feeling of accomplishment after finishing it. Add to that lush visuals, absolutely brilliant music, an ambiguous yet touching story, and an awesome conclusion and you get an amazing game that goes on my list of  "Best Games of all Time."

SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuicidalSnowman
    @ch13696: @JellyFish_Gsus: @CowMuffins:  

Great recommendations, so great I already got them!  Although I will say World of Goo hasn't impressed me as much as I thought it would, Torchilght, on the other hand, I really like.
    SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuicidalSnowman
    @Mikemcn: @kishan6: @Moose: @Keenblaze: Awesome job guys, thanks!
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SuicidalSnowman said:
    " Despite the epic Steam sale going on, I have yet to make any purchases.  At all. 

Guidelines/Info 
    1.  I play on Mac, so it has be Mac supported."
    i stopped there :P
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuicidalSnowman said:
    " @ch13696: @JellyFish_Gsus: @CowMuffins:   Great recommendations, so great I already got them!  Although I will say World of Goo hasn't impressed me as much as I thought it would, Torchilght, on the other hand, I really like. "
    Yeah, I dunno why everyone seemed so enamoured with World of Goo. I liked the music and general art style, but I never found it to be actually fun

Anyway, glad to have helped.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Looking at your game list it seems like Half Life 2 is your favourite. I would first and foremost recommend the expansions to that game. They add more of the gameplay you know and love with more added to the story and a few twists to boot. It wraps the whole experience up nicely. 

Since I also enjoyed Half Life 2 quite a bit, I can recommend to you one of my favourite games, BioShock. It really has an amazing story, beautiful graphics and fun gameplay. People complain about its gameplay but man that game was remarkable. It's on sale today so I think you should buy it now. 

I'm not sure how much you like RPG's. I am a big fan of them and can easily recommend to you Oblivion and Fallout 3. Oblivion is my favourite game of all time. However, I told some friends to play it and a couple of them said the game was too slow for their liking and they never really got into it. It certainly has that feel of the lone hero in a huge world (the one present in Half-Life) as does Fallout 3. Both games were made by Bethesda so there are similarities but they are very different games. Your rig should easily run both of these games.  

If you end up liking Oblivion you can shell out a few more dollars for Morrowind, however they are both the same type of game and are both very long so you may not want to jump right into the same world again.  

Another game I would suggest, even though I never played it, is Dead Space. It certainly is a beautiful game and it certainly seems to give the atmosphere of being alone. I always wanted to play the game but I am quite a pansy :P People who have this game love it. I don't think I heard one negative review for it. Your rig should be able to run this game at the mid level.  

EDIT: Awesome, I just realized that none of these games are mac supported :) my bad

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Might I recommend Altitude

It's a pretty fun multiplayer 2D aerial combat game. It can run on just about any computer as well.  

Bonus it's only $3.40!

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kishan6
    @Keenblaze said:
    " @SuicidalSnowman said:
    " @ch13696: @JellyFish_Gsus: @CowMuffins:   Great recommendations, so great I already got them!  Although I will say World of Goo hasn't impressed me as much as I thought it would, Torchilght, on the other hand, I really like. "
    Yeah, I dunno why everyone seemed so enamoured with World of Goo. I liked the music and general art style, but I never found it to be actually fun.  Anyway, glad to have helped. "
    i thought it  was pretty awesome...
    TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TehJames

EU3  is a Epic strategy game that spans over  300 years of history, from 1399 to 1821. The best thing about the game is that it follows really world history which mens that you can play as any country that existed from 1399-1821. Another great thing about the game is that the graphic style is rather simple so your computer can whit ease run EU3. Basically you can control the country's government, army, economy and more. In my last game i played whit Austria and i mange too control almost the whole world! 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25800/
    noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By noremnants

If you're into point & click adventures at all I would highly recommend Tales of Monkey Island. It's not on sale at the moment but It probably will be by the end of the sale. I wasn't old enough to play the first Monkey Island games but I figured I'd give Tales a shot after reading Ryan's review of the first episode. I enjoyed them so much that I went back and bought the Secret of Monkey Island remake. I've never really played too many point & click adventure games before other than Maniac Mansion on the NES and Grim Fandango quite a while ago, so it was quite a surprise that I enjoyed Tales so much. I found I could hardly wait for the next months release to continue the story. Kinda makes me wish I was old enough to play the original run of point and click adventure games. I'm eagerly awaiting the remake of Monkey Island 2 and the next season of Tales.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By BabyChooChoo

You seem to own all the good stuff already lol, but in any case:

Counter-Strike - I wouldn't call it the ultimate in the FPS genre, but it's certainly no slouch.  Let's put it like this, what shooters can you think of that came out in 2004 that still have thousands of people logging on each day? Not many. So you're guranteed to have have tons of people to play with 24/7. And despite the 'hardcore assholes' rep this game has built up, there is easily a ton of people out there willing to play with you, teach you some tricks, and well...generally not be assholes towards you lol. That's a win in my book. Plus it just got Steam achievements so another instant win right there.

Half-life Expansions - Not much to say here. If you loved Half-Life 2, you'll love these. Episode 1 is a blast. And Episode 2 is even better. I was a bit skeptical when people made a big deal out of how awesome the outdoor environment was, but after playing it multiple times I can safely say: it's freaking amazing. There's a lot of space, a lot of good puzzles, a lot of good battles, a lot of everything really. You won't be disappointed. Well, not unless you're expecting Episode 3 any time soon. 

Eve Online - Not sure how much you enjoy MMOs, but if  you're curious then I suggest giving it a shot. It's hard to describe this game in detail as the objective of the game is whatever you choose to make it. Wanna become the best pilot in the game? Learn everything there is to know about flying. Wanna become the most popular trader/craftsman around? It can happen. Wanna create of group of pirates and rob anyone who flies into your sector? You can do it. Wanna cause a war between every player on the server at the same time? Never happened, but it's in the realm of possibility. The only thing stopping you is you. People claim that it's hard to catch up to veteran players, but that's not true. Veteran players just know more skills. That doesn't mean they know how to use or can use for that matter.Some skills are completely useless when it comes to certain ships.After about a month of training skills, if you're smart about it, you are easily just as valuable to a fleet as someone whose been playing for years. The game also has one of the best communities in any game. Helpful and very mature as this game tends to weed out the weak-willed very early on...EDIT: Forgot to mention that the learning curve is quite large. It's not difficult, but it's just big. Luckily there's a tutorial for everything so you should be fine. If you are curious but not 100% sold, there is a 14-day trial on Steam and you can get a 21-day trial if you can get an invite from a current subscriber.

Avatar image for onemanfreakshow
    onemanfreakshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By onemanfreakshow

I recommend Killing Floor. It's a really fun co-op game that's like a more realistic Left 4 Dead.  It has quite a lot of maps to play on, an active online community, and the gameplay is great fun with realistic-feeling guns.  There's a ton of fun to be had on co-op, also, It goes up to six players, and the perks and different character models are fun to play around with and add a really nice level of customization. Really great art design as well. It's $10, and it's well worth it. A lot of content.

Moose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Moose
    @ch13696 said:
    It's an indie game so it'll run on your Mac. "
    Racist.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47

zeno clash.

kamikaze_tutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By kamikaze_tutor

No Caption Provided
    I recommend VVVVVV. It's an amazing and fun game with a simplistic mechanic: it's a 2D platformer where you don't jump, you invert gravity.
    The story is pretty simple, you are the captain of a spaceship that goes through an anomaly in space and in the process of teleporting into safety, your crew gets split in a strange dimension. This dimension is divided in multiple areas that can be played in whatever order you choose to.

Apart from the directional keys, you only need one button to go from the floor to the celling and vice-versa. It's both fun and challenging, and yet, there's plenty of checkpoints through the game and each area has a balanced increase in difficulty, each revolving around a core mechanic (like a string that will invert the gravity midair or conveyor belts).

Its visuals resemble an old Spectrum ZX game but it has a great charisma and sense of humor. There is no scrolling involved, each screen is static, and has a name that sometimes is a clue to what you need to do to surpass it. And if you like chiptunes, then this game's soundtrack is for you. Moody and epic is how I can describe it, there's no tune I dislike. I'm not very good explaining music to others, so here's a taste of it.

It's one of those games where you die a lot, but never feel overwhelmed (unless you're trying to catch all the collectibles). However, the game is a bit short, depending on how fast you learn to master the game -- I finished it in about 2h30 on my first playthrough. But there are extra challenges once you finished the game or collected all the trinkets.

My only problem with this game is its price ($15 downloadable) and it doesn't even come with the soundtrack in mp3. Besides that, it's so gooooooooooooooooooooood. Have fun!

Links:  http://thelettervsixtim.es/ :: http://souleye.madtracker.net/
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#24  Edited By BeachThunder

Not on sale:

Braid. Even though it's not on sale, it's still at a reasonable price and I feel that you would enjoy it based on the (limited amount of) games shown on your list. Also, you might be interested in this in relation to your blog article about death in games. In Braid you don't ever really die; if you do die, then you can just rewind time as far as you want in order to undo whatever it was that killed you. It's a clever and well-implemented game mechanic and actually integral to finishing the game. There are also several other brilliant game mechanics too (but you can find out about them when you play it :P). Oh and it should run fine on your system. Anyway, this is one of my favourite games. Ever. There is a lot to the game; incredible design, everything is so carefully thought out; amazing visuals; clever story (albeit, maybe a bit to convoluted and ambiguous); the ending has to be one of the most awesome thing in any game I've played. But, if you just were looking for games that are actually on sale...

On Sale:

Half-Life 2: Episode 2. I would say get the Orange Box, but that would be kind of silly at this point, since you own most of it individually already. The only games left from the Orange box are Episode 1 and 2. If you are looking to purchase just one game though, I would go with Episode 2. Yes, I know that might mean skipping the first part, but quite frankly you aren't missing out on much; Episode 1 wasn't that great and they recap what you missed in the first 2 minutes anyway. I would personally say that Episode 2 is the best Half-Life game out of all of them. They have improved upon just about everything from Half-Life 2. The game design here is awesome; there are some really cool parts in the game, culminating in the final battle, which I would say is one of the most awesome final battles in any game. Also, the achievements are great (especially the gnome one, which is a great challenge btw). It's normally pretty cheap anyway, but at the moment it's 33% off. If HL2 runs fine, then this should be roughly the same.

Peggle Nights. This is definitely the best Peggle game. It's addictive; has lots of undeniable charm; very reward-focused; clever, well designed levels; oh and did I mention addictive? I think I did, but I'll mention it again. It might seem simple at first, but when you get into it you'll realise there's actually some very deep strategy involved, especially after unlocking the powers of each character. You'll definitely get your money's worth here; there's heaps of levels and generally, there's just a lot of stuff to do - there's also several free bonus level packs available from the PopCap website. Also, this will most definitely run on your system. I have no idea what's meant by "casual game", it's always been such a vague term, but if that's what it is, then it would be very close to the top of the pile.
    TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TehJames

Did any one get a game, or did you bouy a game ts?

SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuicidalSnowman
    @TehJames: Yes, this is closed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.