Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Uninstalling Steam

JaxDaxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JaxDaxter

This is more confirming than asking a question. 

Since I rarely use steam anymore (though I still think it's a great service) I was thinking that I may aswell just uninstall it all together, plus I would save a bit of space on my hard drive. So just to confirm if I uninstall steam, I could still reinstall it on  another computer or my current and still be able to install and play on my purchased games. 

Thanks.

Avatar image for heroicdrinkingsong
    HeroicDrinkingSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@JaxDaxter: You are correct sir
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno
    @JaxDaxter: Just take note: Steam will delete all installed games at the same time, so back those up first if you don't want to re-download. 
    shaun832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shaun832

I used to have Steam on my old laptop but I got a better computer last Christmas and I was able to reinstall my games onto it.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

You'll also lose any save games.  You'll have to go into each games folder and backup all the save game files you want to keep.

JaxDaxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JaxDaxter

So I will lose saved games (eg Completing Portal), will I lose my achievements, i'm guessing not seeing as they're attached to the account

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Vitamin_Dei
    @JaxDaxter: No, you won't lose achievements. Just keep weird additional DRM schemes like Securom activations in mind, as uninstalling and reinstalling/reactivating later will eat one of your activations up. That is if you have any games with that limitation or if that matters to you.
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By BawlZINmotion

While i haven't checked with all Steam Cloud supported games personally, I know Modern Warfare 2 syncs your saved data with Valve so upon reinstallation that information will automatically be pulled from their servers and thrown down on your computer. Though the number of games that support Steam Cloud are not great in number, so in most cases you'll have manually back up saved game data.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By agentboolen

Just seems easier to leave it, I don't think your really going to save that much memory in the end.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189

Any game you bought on steam, sticks on your steam account. You can redownload it anywhere else, at any time. However, if you have any saved games in the steam folders, they will get removed.

JaxDaxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JaxDaxter

I still haven't decided yet whether I will uninstall Steam, but you guys have helped. Thanks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.