Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

What would happen if Valve/Steam closed their doors

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By threeve

During their end of year blowout sales last year I started buying heavily from Steam.  I've bought from them in the past, but I've bought far more this year due to them drawing attention to the frequent (ridiculously good) deals on great games old and new.  Prior to this I would have categorized myself as one of the people who liked to have the physical copy for the assurance of ownership it brings.  

I've changed PCs once since first using Steam, so I know it's very simple to get your games to a new PC (DL steam, login, DL games).  My only concern then is that one day Steam shuts down.  Now how do I get the games I've bought?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

they have said they will let you download all of your games and let you play them without steam, they've tested taking the DRM out and it has worked, so I wouldn't worry about it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

They will have a patch or something where you can continue to play the games and stuff regardless of them closing down. You won't get to buy anymore games, still I think they will release a patch that would enable you to continue to keep playing.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By s7evn

It won't shut down -- it's far too popular. If it ever did I'm sure they would figure someway to let you keep your games without the DRM steam provides.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

But what about way, way ahead in the future. Like 20 years? People still have their old NES' kicking around and sometimes pop games into them, or Super NES is getting up there in age too. Will things like Steam, the PS Store, XBLA last that long? Will we still have convenient, instant access to our games? I'm talking about in comparison to having a console and a hard copy of the game.

If we don't have access to our games, they will just be pirated on the uber-emulators that will be created in the future. EDIT: Even if we do have access, people will still emulate anyway. Look at how popular SNES and NES roms are.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

Technically Valve would have no authority to remove DRM from titles not published by them sold over Steam, so if Steam goes down, those games will probably be lost to you forever.  Same if MS shuts down 360's version of Live and doesn't retain back compat, or Sony shuts down PS3's PSN, or Nintendo Wiiware/DSiware...

This sort of DRM perma-lock has happened with fairly large non-gaming projects before.  It will happen to some online gaming platform at some point.  It's one reason I still want to stick to physical disks.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    @xyzygy said:
    " But what about way, way ahead in the future. Like 20 years? People still have their old NES' kicking around and sometimes pop games into them, or Super NES is getting up there in age too. Will things like Steam, the PS Store, XBLA last that long? Will we still have convenient, instant access to our games? I'm talking about in comparison to having a console and a hard copy of the game.  If we don't have access to our games, they will just be pirated on the uber-emulators that will be created in the future. EDIT: Even if we do have access, people will still emulate anyway. Look at how popular SNES and NES roms are. "
    i have wondered what are Sony/MS/Valve plans with all that. valve im sure can just patch the DRM and let you burn the disk, but what about PSN/XBL? where will we get our patches and DLC? are we expected to store it all on a HDD and hope it never breaks, or will they just update the console and remove all that security? because im sure there not going to want to be fronting the bill for all that 360/ps3 junk on there servers when they have there ps6/34786 on the market or if they go belly up.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

I never use them, so I don't know.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn

Someone would buy the rights out from under them and take command.

Innovacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Innovacious

Over the last 4-5 hard drive upgrades/changes ive never redownloaded any of my steam games. Just transfered them to the new PC. If you keep backups of everything you can keep playing all of the games in offline mode. Keeping an old hard drive with the games n whatnot on is no different from keeping old CDs/Cartradiges etc.  Some people argue that they could lose the backup, it gets corrupted and other such nonesense. But thats no different than an old game disc getting snapped or damaged in some other way that its unplayable.

When it comes to ubisoft style PC DRM though, youre gonna have to do some shady business to keep playing those games if they close up. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Diamond: I'm not familiar with the agreement between Valve and third-party publishers, but if they have the authority to add that DRM in the first place surely they should have the authority to remove it. This isn't the publishers' DRM; it's Valve's DRM. They're the ones in control.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @LordAndrew: There's a lot of Steam games that retain their own DRM.  But besides that, unless Valve has some special agreement that allows them to remove Valve's own DRM from other publishers' games (which I highly doubt), they wouldn't even be able to remove that DRM.  Publishers / developers allow Valve to publish with a guarantee that their product will be protected.  Valve can't legally do whatever they want with it, anyways.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlasherMan

I cannot count the number of times this question has been asked on the Steam forums. In fact, I think you should create the same thread over there just to get a reaction out of the regulars. Always a fun way to pass the time! :P

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By jkz
    @Diamond said:
    " @LordAndrew: There's a lot of Steam games that retain their own DRM.  But besides that, unless Valve has some special agreement that allows them to remove Valve's own DRM from other publishers' games (which I highly doubt), they wouldn't even be able to remove that DRM.  Publishers / developers allow Valve to publish with a guarantee that their product will be protected.  Valve can't legally do whatever they want with it, anyways. "
    I believe that that is part of the agreement they have with developers. It's been a longstanding promise of theirs: that if steam goes down, the games will be updated so they are playable without steam.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlasherMan
    @jukezypoo: No real proof exists of said fabled promise. This has been debated a lot of times in the Steam forums, and they always come to the same conclusion. It is uncertain what would become of everyone's games and accounts, but logic would dictate that another company would take over or maybe (and that's not guaranteed) if that wasn't the case, a patch would be released to remove all the games' reliance on Steam and people would be allowed to download all their games and back them up. 

Either way, nothing is guaranteed, but it's pretty unlikely that Steam would have to close its doors in the near foreseeable future.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Diamond: If they feel they need to "protect" the game with DRM, they can do that. Many games on Steam do have their own DRM in addition to Steam's built-in DRM. If they feel that's necessary, they will continue doing that. Some other publishers using Steam don't feel DRM is effective "protection" and would probably feel just fine if Valve disabled Steam's built-in DRM.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.