Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

After having played so much Remy, Guile just seems obsolete.

GreasyTayTay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GreasyTayTay

I mean really, when I first started onto SF3 I thought Remy was just a clone of a tired old fighter, until I saw his cold blue kick (cbk)

It's just a beastly move! It allows Remy to be played as offensive control rather then just straight defense. Well I suppose you CAN do the same with Guile but that kick just made it so much better! It covered mad distance, was an instant counter to fireball spammers, using lk CBK was a beautiful way to cover distance behind his SB and the best part is you just spent a whole ton less time without a charge ready to go. 

*sigh*

How I miss you Remy.

I am not saying it's impossible to play a good Guile and mad respect to all of you who do, so no need to bite my head off. (But Remy was better.)
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Luke

I <3 Remy and used to play him all the time, like every single day, in SFIII... played Guile maybe twice in SFIV. 

Some Guile matches can take an eternity to finish.  He's such a damn turtle. 

*RIP* Remy :'(

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By slinky6
    Luke said:
    "I <3 Remy and used to play him all the time, like every single day, in SFIII... played Guile maybe twice in SFIV.  Some Guile matches can take an eternity to finish.  He's such a damn turtle.  *RIP* Remy :'("
    Guile's not a turtle it's just that most people play him that way.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

Perhaps its just time to move on to another character

GreasyTayTay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GreasyTayTay

It probably is but every time I try and play Guile it just seems like something's missing.

GreasyTayTay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GreasyTayTay

You know what, while I'm on it. Why on earth does Gief not have some form of his aerial russian slam?

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By slinky6
    GreasyTayTay said:
    "It probably is but every time I try and play Guile it just seems like something's missing."
    Probably because he is the only character that really doesn't have anything new, whereas all other returning characters at least have some new quirk.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By gla55jAw

I'm pretty sure Guile is in fact, not a turtle. He has no shell.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By sfighter21
    gla55jAw said:
    "I'm pretty sure Guile is in fact, not a turtle. He has no shell."
    Ahh, but he does.  It is called, "Flash Kick".  Although, maybe its me, doesn't seem as much of a priority in this iteration...
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain

You gotta be kidding me, Remy was an insult to Guile and SF in general, cocky pompous blue haired emo. Besides, Guile's not a turtle, and decent Guile player can lay on a huge offensive beatdown with him.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    The_A_Drain said:
    "You gotta be kidding me, Remy was an insult to Guile and SF in general, cocky pompous blue haired emo. Besides, Guile's not a turtle, and decent Guile player can lay on a huge offensive beatdown with him."
    This is the perfect example of a scurb.^^^^^^^
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_A_Drain

Huh?

So I hated Remy as a character, and made a true statement about Guile being a good offensive character if played properly, and that makes me a scrub...

What crazy universe are you living in?

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

The OP was talking gameplay, not looks, you're just judging a book by its cover by calling Remy a "pompous blue hair emo" Obviously when you see Guile with his blond hair, big musles, and with the American tatoo, that gives you a boner a lot faster than what ever Remy does.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain

Well duh... The mere fact i'm talking about character design instead of gameplay means it's kinda difficult to mark me a scrub based on that comment.

I hate Remy, always have, he's pompous, has a cocky attitude and emo character design, and I don't like blue hair. I think that gives me enough reasons to like Guile over him, that and i've mained
    Guile as a character for nearly 10 years, so yeah I obviously like him a lot or I wouldn't be playing him. Not sure about boners though, but if that's your boat don't let me stop you.

As for judging a book by it's cover it's not like I can get to know the guy is it? He's a video-game character, one who doesn't even have all that much of a backstory to go on in the first place...

If that makes me a 'scrub' in your eyes, then you're insane.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

.....And this thread is about gameplay, not about looks.

Never mind about the scurb comment I will admit that wasn't the right thing to say -  I'm just pretty sleepy right about now.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain

Well, if you really want to talk gameplay Remy doesn't have the same combo potential as Guile, Guile has some pretty damaging combos, especially now you can link two flash kicks together if you pick someone out of the sky with the first one.

Nevermind how awesome dashing in behind an lp sonic boom is, your opponent never knows whats coming, and it gives you a nice shield, or an extra hit on the combo if you manage to land it.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By slinky6
    Kou_Leifoh said:
    ".....And this thread is about gameplay, not about looks. Never mind about the scurb comment I will admit that wasn't the right thing to say -  I'm just pretty sleepy right about now."
    It's scrub, not scurb.   That's the second time you've spelled it that way so it's obviously not a typo.   Also Remy looks like a Kingdom Hearts character and that makes me pissed off enough to not care about how he plays.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Well first off, you're a grammar Nazi^^^. Second, if you're going to reject a character based on his design alone, then you're not much of a fighting game fan.

@The_A_Drain. Check this out.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By ImperiousRix

I like Remy a lot mainly BECAUSE he feels like a more versatile Guile.  And as for slinky6 not liking Remy because of the way he looks, hey, that's his perogative.  Still, you don't like him because he looks like a Kingdom Hearts character?  How darest you insult one of my favorite game franchises.  You have insulted my honor, sir.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By slinky6
    ImperiousRix said:
    "I like Remy a lot mainly BECAUSE he feels like a more versatile Guile.  And as for slinky6 not liking Remy because of the way he looks, hey, that's his perogative.  Still, you don't like him because he looks like a Kingdom Hearts character?  How darest you insult one of my favorite game franchises.  You have insulted my honor, sir."
    Kingdom hearts is a button-mashy piece of shit.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    slinky6 said:
    "ImperiousRix said:
    "I like Remy a lot mainly BECAUSE he feels like a more versatile Guile.  And as for slinky6 not liking Remy because of the way he looks, hey, that's his perogative.  Still, you don't like him because he looks like a Kingdom Hearts character?  How darest you insult one of my favorite game franchises.  You have insulted my honor, sir."
    Kingdom hearts is a button-mashy piece of shit."
    Ronald Mc Donald < TheBurger King.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By ReyGitano

I agree... Ronald is < than Burger King. But I grew up with Guile. Every sentence is improved by the phrase "sonic boom" or "summersault" and every character design is improved by cutting and pasting Guile's hair. But putting that aside Remy... I can't play Remy... the character really is a generic long blue haired kid that looks like he has to lay off the drugs... and I know something about long blue haired kids that need to lay of drugs... umm, i didn't just say that.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    SlashseveN303 said:
    "I agree... Ronald is < than Burger King. But I grew up with Guile. Every sentence is improved by the phrase "sonic boom" or "summersault" and every character design is improved by cutting and pasting Guile's hair. But putting that aside Remy... I can't play Remy... the character really is a generic long blue haired kid that looks like he has to lay off the drugs... and I know something about long blue haired kids that need to lay of drugs... umm, i didn't just say that."
    No, Burger King is greater than Ronald.

Also, Remy's projectile is not called Sonic Boom. It's called Light of Virtue.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain

In all honesty I don't think you can acuse someone of not being a fan/much of a fan of something based on how they pick there characters, some people like to metagame, counter-pick, some like to pick an all rounder, or a difficult to learn character, others like myself pick their characters based on who they like the design of, be damned how difficult they are to actually play.

This is why I mained Guile for so long, then was drawn to Hugo and Dudley in SFIII, now I dabble in Gief because I miss Hugo, and realised how much I love Boxer who is now my SFIV main, as well as dabbling in Rufus because I like his character design and moveset. I also mained Potemkin in Guilty Gear for a short while, look how far that got me haha. My Soul Calibur main was Mitsurugi, generic sure but I have a soft spot for Samurai.

Either way, picking a character based on design doesn't make someone any less of a fighting game fan, and I just hate Remy, his attitude, his design, and everything about him. It's nothing personal :P

That said I make desicions based on gameplay a lot as well, it depends what the severity of the issue is, for example I WILL NOT play Tekken, Virtua Fighter or DOA no matter how much I like some of the character designs simply because I hate the fighting system, with a passion.

Also, like a Remy mirror would ever be THIS awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nyLMWgVZ4E

That and Guiles 4 HP combo just rocks the boat, that thing is epic. Even more now you can dash in with a sonic boom before it.

Also the King is awesome, but more than a little bit scary :P

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By ImperiousRix
    The_A_Drain said:
    "

In all honesty I don't think you can acuse someone of not being a fan/much of a fan of something based on how they pick there characters, some people like to metagame, counter-pick, some like to pick an all rounder, or a difficult to learn character, others like myself pick their characters based on who they like the design of, be damned how difficult they are to actually play.

This is why I mained Guile for so long, then was drawn to Hugo and Dudley in SFIII, now I dabble in Gief because I miss Hugo, and realised how much I love Boxer who is now my SFIV main, as well as dabbling in Rufus because I like his character design and moveset. I also mained Potemkin in Guilty Gear for a short while, look how far that got me haha. My Soul Calibur main was Mitsurugi, generic sure but I have a soft spot for Samurai.

Either way, picking a character based on design doesn't make someone any less of a fighting game fan, and I just hate Remy, his attitude, his design, and everything about him. It's nothing personal :P

That said I make desicions based on gameplay a lot as well, it depends what the severity of the issue is, for example I WILL NOT play Tekken, Virtua Fighter or DOA no matter how much I like some of the character designs simply because I hate the fighting system, with a passion.

Also, like a Remy mirror would ever be THIS awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nyLMWgVZ4E

That and Guiles 4 HP combo just rocks the boat, that thing is epic. Even more now you can dash in with a sonic boom before it.

Also the King is awesome, but more than a little bit scary :P

"

Well put.  Sadly, I get stuck on the way somebody plays, usually making them my main, but I do use alts that I just "like the look of".  Like in 3rd Strike, I like to use Remy just because of his familiar feel, but I also played a lot of Alex because I just think he looks cool.
    GreasyTayTay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GreasyTayTay
    The_A_Drain said:
    "Well, if you really want to talk gameplay Remy doesn't have the same combo potential as Guile, Guile has some pretty damaging combos, especially now you can link two flash kicks together if you pick someone out of the sky with the first one.Nevermind how awesome dashing in behind an lp sonic boom is, your opponent never knows whats coming, and it gives you a nice shield, or an extra hit on the combo if you manage to land it."

First of all, the linking two flash kicks is something in SFIV, alot of characters have the same thing going on. Because they're my mains I know for a fact you can do it with both Cammy and Dan. That in itself it not special at all. I am not sure about other characters but if you can link two koryukens together with Dan I am sure you can do it with many others. 

Second, dashing in behind a LP sonic boom? Remmy had that too. Dash in behind the SB or use the CBK to cover distance a little faster. 

Remmy is everything Guile was with enough left over for a hamburger.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_A_Drain

Ok maybe that's true then, I have to admit I didn't play much Remy in III, I went straight to Dudley and Hugo. But from where i'm sitting that hamburger tastes like shit because Remy's such a pussy. :P

I mean, Light of Virtue? Holy crap i'd rather play a handicapped character than one who calls his attack Light of Virtue.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By slinky6
    Kou_Leifoh said:
    "slinky6 said:
    "ImperiousRix said:
    Kingdom hearts is a button-mashy piece of shit."
    Ronald Mc Donald < TheBurger King."
    ouch

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.