Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Extreme Guile Combo Showcase Video

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By REDRUN

Something I happen to stumble upon on youtube. Back in SF2, Guile was a combo beast. Now the beast is unleashed once again in SF4.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By AndrewJD

Never really played with Guile, but knowing he has combos like that I might consider it.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Reale

i was wowed when i watched this at the beginning of the year, then when i realized how impractical they are to actually do in a match, i was slightly dissapointed but tbh ryu/ken/akuma/sagat/rose/viper/gen all have crazy combo strings like this (there is probably lots of characters i left out but from what i have actually seen those characters)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Two observations...

• Whats up with the weird turbo button jab thing going on?
    • I bet a lot of these combos are invalid - he's clearly using a second controller as a dummy opponent which never blocks.  I'd like to see this video done again against a properly configured training mode character.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PureRok
    MB said:
    "Two observations...

• I bet a lot of these combos are invalid - he's clearly using a second controller as a dummy opponent which never blocks.  I'd like to see this video done again against a properly configured training mode character.
    "
    Yea. I wasn't really impressed. It's not hard to combo on something that doesn't move, block, or fight back.
    Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Verdugo

Only thing I could honestly pay attention to was the fact that this guy kept punching for no reason after every combo.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Reale
    Verdugo said:
    "Only thing I could honestly pay attention to was the fact that this guy kept punching for no reason after every combo. "
    its a homage to an old school SF player...
    BanditGief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BanditGief

"Guile combos. Mashing jabs is homage to TZW ultimate Guile. "

hope that answers the turbo jabbing question.

and the fact that he shows the Combo count on the end of each combo proves the fact that they are "do-able" and the fact that Sean Gilley posted this video on January 09 (which is before the release of the game) which mostlikely did in arcade. plus this is a combo exhibition, not a match...

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By REDRUN
    MB said:
    "Two observations...

"
    the jabbing is to keep you from moving backwards in case you want to throw a sonic boom close blank. the jab also mask a charge and protects self from turtle tossers. this was a SF2 basic when top players beast Guile then. this also works for anyone with a backward forward charge.

to verify the combo is real, look on the right or left of the screen, it shows the combo count. the combo count stops once the opponent is allowed a neutral rest or block, any split second greater than zero. all those combos were done on the Japanese arcade cabinet where of course cost about a dollar to play per game.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PureRok
    REDRUN said:
    "MB said:
    "Two observations...

"
    the jabbing is to keep you from moving backwards in case you want to throw a sonic boom close blank. the jab also mask a charge and protects self from turtle tossers. this was a SF2 basic when top players beast Guile then. this also works for anyone with a backward forward charge. to verify the combo is real, look on the right or left of the screen, it shows the combo count. the combo count stops once the opponent is allowed a neutral rest or block, any split second greater than zero. all those combos were done on the Japanese arcade cabinet where of course cost about a dollar to play per game."
    Nobody said those combos are fake. We just said that they would never work (or VERY rarely) against a real player.
    Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Verdugo
    Reale said:
    "Verdugo said:
    "Only thing I could honestly pay attention to was the fact that this guy kept punching for no reason after every combo. "
    its a homage to an old school SF player... "
    ah, alright. Thanks for the clarification.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By REDRUN
    PureRok said:
    Nobody said those combos are fake. We just said that they would never work (or VERY rarely) against a real player."
    I know, it was in re guard to MB's rebuttal on the second point as below. :)

MB said:

Again, combo counter does stop counting in game, trail mode and challenge modes once the player/victim is allowed to hit the ground from a knockdown, recover to a neutral rest/block from stun hit(s) or at the end of a juggle combo.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar

As good as those combo vids are (and thats all the vid is really), it doesn't inspire me to want to play him on a serious level.

BanditGief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By REDRUN
    BanditGief said:
    "maybe this will?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR53cbBRq9k&feature=channel_page"
    Thanks for the jump, there is an embeding tool in the toolbar when you post. Lemme help you out. Man, I never thought of using Guile's air throw to toss Sagat, E. Honda and Blanka out of their Ultra Combos. Now I am excited. Thanks again for finding that youtube gem.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By slinky6

These combos aren't impractical if you have good execution.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ImperiousRix

DUDE, are you kidding me with the air throws?!
    Vega has an air throw, too.  I gotta get to trying this stuff.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JJOR64

I wish I was that good with Guile.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_A_Drain

The combo's are totally bonafide if your execution is good enough, and it's not done in training mode because it was done on an arcade machine.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sfighter21

All I know is that I'd rather play a guile like this than all those damned turtles out there...That is the only reason I HATE Guile.  This video shows that he isn't just a defensive character.  He can bring the heat to your front door, lol.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Verdugo said:
    "Reale said:
    "Verdugo said:
    its a homage to an old school SF player... "
    ah, alright. Thanks for the clarification. "

The player in question is:  TZW ultimate Guile

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gambit

Yeah you won't see alot of combo's like that in a match, but it still takes alot of skill to pull those off. I'm also figuring a few of those are character specific combos. I have alot more respect for combo videos like this then I do those crappy dizzy character combos.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By slinky6
    MB said:
    "Two observations...

"
    of course these combos would work against a "properly configured training mode character."   they're combos so once the first move hits it doesn't matter if the other person is holding block.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.