Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Hard Trials, Hard Lulz

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

So I decided to man up and finish the C. Viper trials tonight, in my quest for these last few achievements I have left in SFIV. I knew it was going to be tough but, I had no idea the insanity that would ensue. In particular hard trial #3 and #5, gave me quite an annoyance, especially #5 (since the game randomly doesn't register the hard flame kick even though I'm doing it). Many lulz are to be had, at my expense of course -- since I recorded them with my camcorder. Enjoy!

Now all that's left is Gen #5, oooooooh boy. For another time though.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

So I decided to man up and finish the C. Viper trials tonight, in my quest for these last few achievements I have left in SFIV. I knew it was going to be tough but, I had no idea the insanity that would ensue. In particular hard trial #3 and #5, gave me quite an annoyance, especially #5 (since the game randomly doesn't register the hard flame kick even though I'm doing it). Many lulz are to be had, at my expense of course -- since I recorded them with my camcorder. Enjoy!

Now all that's left is Gen #5, oooooooh boy. For another time though.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpecialBuddy

I was there when this happened so I already got them lulz. I never got my matches though. We should do them right now.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I gave up on C. Viper a while ago because I thought she was too technical, looks like I was right.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Flushes
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan:  Viper players live and die by tiny margins of execution. Combofiend was about 2 frames short of beating Justin Wong this year at evo, but missed the ultra link from an aerial burning kick. It's hard out there for a Viper!
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DirrtyNinja

^^ True that, but when you play a really good Viper much respect to them.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

Love your videos like this. I feel the same way doing Fei Long's Hard #3.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny

"Are you having any problems?"

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Flushes said:
    " @OwnlyUzinWonHan:  Viper players live and die by tiny margins of execution. Combofiend was about 2 frames short of beating Justin Wong this year at evo, but missed the ultra link from an aerial burning kick. It's hard out there for a Viper! "
    dude i know, using viper is like using akuma adequately past the noob phase. You almost can't mess up at all or its GG for you.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Jeffsekai

Haha love you're "LULZ" vids dude.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm

LMAO. This is way funnier than Street F*cker IV.

I guess I am a little baffled at why they made Rufus such a spam-easy character and 100 different ways to combo into his Ultra, but there seems to be an intense learning curve with Crimson Viper. Is it just her moveset and strange timing?

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Brake

Ooh, that brings back memories of  agonizing over hard trials and I haven't even gone to the crazy ones like Viper yet.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Renahzor

I guess the same reason any of the characters have easy to land ultras and others are very difficult to hit, different for the sake of being different.  When you look at commonly used characters much of it revolves around relatively simple ways to combo and confirm into ultra.  Ryu, Sagat, Rufus, Balrog.  bleh, i am so burnt out on street fighter.  lol!

congrats Ultima!  I do not have the patience for even one or two of the hard trials.  :P

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

Oh my God. Are you sure that isn't super hard trials 1?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lordofultima
    @Scooper: You may be right, now all I have to do is do one Gen combo, I'm thinking of flying out SpecialBuddy so he can do if for me. Haha.

edit: also, if anyone wants to just get into player matches with me and lose on purpose so I can get super finishes, that would be cool. (seeing as I never use super w/ Akuma). I need like 25 finishes or so to get the super title, the only title I'm missing other than gen 5.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Scooper: You may be right, now all I have to do is do one Gen combo, I'm thinking of flying out SpecialBuddy so he can do if for me. Haha.  edit: also, if anyone wants to just get into player matches with me and lose on purpose so I can get super finishes, that would be cool. (seeing as I never use super w/ Akuma). I need like 25 finishes or so to get the super title, the only title I'm missing other than gen 5. "
    If we go, I'm going down swinging motherfucker :p.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lordofultima
    @Napalm: Well, it was worth a try! haha.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Napalm: Well, it was worth a try! haha. "
    Can't you do that in arcade mode?

Wait, you can do in time attack/survival too. Just find 1 that has infinite super meter and keep doing it over and over 'til you get it. That's what I did. Saves having to punk yourself out of some wins trying it against randoms.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lordofultima
    @Scooper: No, to unlock the title "Super" you have to get like 30 super finishes in an online match. I'm actually at 24 or so so I probably don't need the help after all.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scooper
    @lordofultima: Oh yeah that one... I was thinking of the achievement. I got that title pretty early on I think. There's still 1 title on that first page that's not unlocked and I don't know how to get it!!! ;(. Also that wierd blue disc icon. How do I get that? I'm guessing it has something to do with battle points or maybe the amount of matches you've played.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @lordofultima: If you fly me out I want first class, a fluffy pillow, and a limo when I land.
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Props on getting that far. I can't even clear any of the normal trials, but I'm going to blame that on the fact that I'm using the standard pad.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper
    @Alex_Murphy said:
    " Props on getting that far. I can't even clear any of the normal trials, but I'm going to blame that on the fact that I'm using the standard pad. "
    No excuse!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Fuck Hard Trials.  I'm very patient, especially when it comes to video games, but that's always because there's a certain sense of progression when you're patient.  In an RPG, grinding a lot requires patience but I'm good with that because I find it to be fun, rewarding in the end and I'm actually gaining EXP, items, etc. while I'm actually grinding.  Same can be said with almost anything else that requires patience in a video game.  But for the SF IV Trials, you'll be stuck in the same freaking room, with the same damn looping music, growing more and more insane every minute you're in there.  There's no sense of progression unless you finally, successfully get to a new string in a combo and there's no hint in what you're supposed to do.  The timing's often erratic and that does not help.  Fuck Hard Trials.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By clubsandwich

You sir got my lulz, congrats. Massive lulz indeed.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lordofultima

Yeah finished Gen's last trial, got the title and icon achievements, all that's left is one actual achievement now, beating it with everyone on medium (I was impatient and beat it on easiest with everyone just to unlock characters). I recorded me doing it but there wasn't much lulz going on, it didn't take me but like 15 tries or something.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scooper
    @lordofultima said:
    " Yeah finished Gen's last trial, got the title and icon achievements, all that's left is one actual achievement now, beating it with everyone on medium (I was impatient and beat it on easiest with everyone just to unlock characters). I recorded me doing it but there wasn't much lulz going on, it didn't take me but like 15 tries or something. "
    You're on the home stretch to S-Ranking this baby. You got my props for sure.
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Plasma
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Fuck Hard Trials.  I'm very patient, especially when it comes to video games, but that's always because there's a certain sense of progression when you're patient.  In an RPG, grinding a lot requires patience but I'm good with that because I find it to be fun, rewarding in the end and I'm actually gaining EXP, items, etc. while I'm actually grinding.  Same can be said with almost anything else that requires patience in a video game.  But for the SF IV Trials, you'll be stuck in the same freaking room, with the same damn looping music, growing more and more insane every minute you're in there.  There's no sense of progression unless you finally, successfully get to a new string in a combo and there's no hint in what you're supposed to do.  The timing's often erratic and that does not help.  Fuck Hard Trials. "
    The progression is more than shitty EXP points, its an actual skill your learning, for real and everything.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Plasma said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Fuck Hard Trials.  I'm very patient, especially when it comes to video games, but that's always because there's a certain sense of progression when you're patient.  In an RPG, grinding a lot requires patience but I'm good with that because I find it to be fun, rewarding in the end and I'm actually gaining EXP, items, etc. while I'm actually grinding.  Same can be said with almost anything else that requires patience in a video game.  But for the SF IV Trials, you'll be stuck in the same freaking room, with the same damn looping music, growing more and more insane every minute you're in there.  There's no sense of progression unless you finally, successfully get to a new string in a combo and there's no hint in what you're supposed to do.  The timing's often erratic and that does not help.  Fuck Hard Trials. "
    The progression is more than shitty EXP points, its an actual skill your learning, for real and everything. "
    That doesn't mean much when you'll forget practically half the combos you executed in the trials for the various characters, combined with the fact that you rarely use any of that in a real match.  And also, yeah, it feels good when you actually have a combo down.  But the time it takes you to get the hang of it can be very long and during that time, you're stuck and you're not progressing one bit.
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Plasma

Well that's a retarded comment, you could say while your fighting randoms, your not progressing one bit, as your not learning new combos. 
     If you can turn one mistake into them losing half their health, your're 'progressing'.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lordofultima
    @FluxWaveZ: Although in viper's case, she definitely does fierce feint fierce, as well as super jump cancels. I'd say Akuma's trials are pretty similar to combos you'll be doing with him, despite having wacky normals scattered about in them. Balrog had the ex loop, etc.

Maybe all the combos aren't completely practical, but canceling into super from Gen's hands definitely is something that I understand the concept of now.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Plasma said:

" Well that's a retarded comment, you could say while your fighting randoms, your not progressing one bit, as your not learning new combos.  If you can turn one mistake into them losing half their health, your're 'progressing'. "

Memorizing combos and the timing associated with them does not help one become better.  Actually playing against people better than you, analyzing when they do their moves and how they do them and trying to counter their techniques with your own or improvising in the process actually augments your ability.  It's the same argument as reading a whole bunch of information in a textbook, or actually going out and learning in the field for yourself.  Which do you think one would learn more from?  It's a fact that you will learn more from going out and experiencing whatever you want to learn for yourself.

@lordofultima

said:

" @FluxWaveZ: Although in viper's case, she definitely does fierce feint fierce, as well as super jump cancels. I'd say Akuma's trials are pretty similar to combos you'll be doing with him, despite having wacky normals scattered about in them. Balrog had the ex loop, etc.  Maybe all the combos aren't completely practical, but canceling into super from Gen's hands definitely is something that I understand the concept of now. "

Yeah, some of the combos in the trial do help you get better and "teach" you the timing for cancels.  But most of them won't be used in a fight either because you would do something better than that combo in a situation that would open the opportunity to unleash it, or because the opportunity to unleash that complicated combo rarely opens up and when it does you miss out because you took too long realizing you could execute it.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By killroycantkill

LOL at "Are you having problems?" "No I'm not having problems" LOL. I think you might be having problems because watching this video made me think you are insane. But I yell at my TV too and lower trials so ha at me.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lordofultima
    @Killroycantkill: No I'm definitely borderline insane, I get mad at most things. Seriously.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By JJOR64

I'm never going to finish these trails..........

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I can just imagine the "..wtf?" look your mom must have had.

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpecialBuddy

This is why you should bring your mom to final round. She adds to the hilarity you create.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    " This is why you should bring your mom to final round. She adds to the hilarity you create. "
    I totally agree, Ultima is funny sure but when his mom says something you know its going to end well.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By copycatzen

Congrats, I was there, but it took me like 3 days 
    lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.