Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Hold Right Trigger to Block!...wait what?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jeffsekai

So we are almost a year post release Street Fighter 4 and if you are reading this I am sure you have invested a ton of time into Street Fighter 4.  Well weather you realize it or not you do a lot of things on reflex most notably (I think) is holding back to block, seriously I bought Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (meh) and I can't for the life of me block anything consistantly its kinda funny. 

Has anyone else gone back to a hold a  button to block game? How have you fared? I am pretty sure I will never be able to play a Mortal Kombat or even Soul Caliber again haha

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

My biggest problem with switching between two fighters is the different fighting styles.  Going from Street Fighter to Mortal Kombat (and vice versa) can be very awkward.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8d1874be961
    deactivated-5d8d1874be961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nah, I'm more for games that hold back to block. I can still play DoA and Soul Calibur, but I prefer playing Tekken and Street Fighter. More towards Tekken though because it has a way bigger variety of fighters and styles to go against.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Holding back block has always been more natural for me. I've played Tekken and SF for so long, but I can still play Soul Calibur or Smash Bros. just fine.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I'm still pretty good at UMK3, mostly because no one has a clue what to do against Stryker.
    Main problem is the same though, forgetting that block is actually a button messes me up.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By napalm

Doesn't Virtua Fighter 5 have button-blocking? Haha, it's been awhile since I've played that game as you can tell.

EDIT: Doesn't Mortal Kombat v. DC Universe have button-blocking as well?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Napalm said:
    " Doesn't Virtua Fighter 5 have button-blocking? Haha, it's been awhile since I've played that game as you can tell.  EDIT: Doesn't Mortal Kombat v. DC Universe have button-blocking as well? "
    The MK universe always had a blocking button but it was way more cumbersome than say Virtua Fighter since you had to deal with 4 attack buttons and a block. VF on the otherhand only has kick, punch and block. Way more elegant and most characters in VF have special moves that requires block+punch or something to pull off. MK on the otherhand, it seems the block button is only used for blocking and perhaps a fatality. This is why I don't mind VF's block button since I'm naturally pressing button when I'm attacking.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Atlas

I've gone from Street Fighter to Virtua Fighter a few times, with somewhat limited success. Virtua Fighter just feels much more natural to me, with it's very simple but deep three-button layout. The back-to-block game that feels most natural to me is probably Tekken.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zagzagovich

I recently played with my friend in UMK 3. He is a huge MK fan so naturally he is used to button holding but I rarely play those games so he just completely destroyed me. Kind of weird to remember the time where I couldn't learn to block with a back button and now being incapable of doing otherwise.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

I find it somewhat strange that a trigger is used for blocking. You have to pull it all the way so it makes your reaction to what's happening on the screen slower. It should never be an analog button.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By lordofultima
    @Jeffsekai: Well, Mortal Kombat II is one of my favorite games ever to this day, one of the best fighters as well (don't care what people have to say on the matter). That said, I do find it startling to hold a button to block, but then again I never blocked much in MK so it all works out.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By dbz1995
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " So we are almost a year post release Street Fighter 4 and if you are reading this I am sure you have invested a ton of time into Street Fighter 4.  Well weather you realize it or not you do a lot of things on reflex most notably (I think) is holding back to block, seriously I bought Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (meh) and I can't for the life of me block anything consistantly its kinda funny.   Has anyone else gone back to a hold a  button to block game? How have you fared? I am pretty sure I will never be able to play a Mortal Kombat or even Soul Caliber again haha "
    Its whether, not weather. Sorry, I know I'm a complete bitch at spelling, but even so...

I think most people have adapted well enough. Eventually I have gotten used to playing most games by pressing R2 to block, from the days of yore when X-men: Mutant Academy, and Tekken 3 ruled.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Stang

Wait, what the fuck? There are other games out there besides Street Fighter?

On the real, I grew up with Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. I was never serious about either, but I did play them both a shit load. In the rare occasion I whip out Mortal Kombat 2, it feels just as natural as it did 75 years ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.