Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

I am sucking ass, need advice desperately!

• 56 results
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Stang

Well, I am in a rut. We all fall into one once in a while, and unfortunately I am in one again. After the set against the dude that posted vids on youtube (Spanish Hitman), I am sucking ass. I am missing links like a mother fucker, I am reacting extremely slow, and I am missing extremely easy punish opportunites.

For instance, tonight against Cast for Ron's beastly Chun, he whiffed an ultra. I had full ultra. Instead of hitting him with full ultra, what did my hands decide to do? Hit him with a weak ass fierce srk. What the fuck?

I need advice from my SF buddies on how to get out of this rut. I am tired of sweating balls against everybody I play, no matter their skill level.

Please don't post bullshit here. I want to know what you guys do on the real to break out of the ruts we see every once in a while, no sarcastic bullshit.

Thank you, much appreciated.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64
    @Stang: First and foremost, are you still going to stick with Ken?
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NinjaHunter

Just sounds like you need to take a little break. Take your mind off of street fighter for awhile then come back later.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By demontium
    @Stang said:
    " Well, I am in a rut. We all fall into one once in a while, and unfortunately I am in one again. After the set against the dude that posted vids on youtube (Spanish Hitman), I am sucking ass. I am missing links like a mother fucker, I am reacting extremely slow, and I am missing extremely easy punish opportunites.  For instance, tonight against Cast for Ron's beastly Chun, he whiffed an ultra. I had full ultra. Instead of hitting him with full ultra, what did my hands decide to do? Hit him with a weak ass fierce srk. What the fuck?  I need advice from my SF buddies on how to get out of this rut. I am tired of sweating balls against everybody I play, no matter their skill level.  Please don't post bullshit here. I want to know what you guys do on the real to break out of the ruts we see every once in a while, no sarcastic bullshit.  Thank you, much appreciated. "
    I go on the hardest mode on arcade and beat it. 

I go back online, only do matches with full connection, and use my best character and go all out. 

That gets me out of those loosing funks.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By napalm

Stang, shutup. You are one of the best on this forum! So, everybody has an off day!

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Stang
    @JJOR64: Give up on Ken? Blasphemy!! The day I quit using Ken as a main is the day I quit play SF!
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

I don't know what a "fierce srk", but it sounds pretty sweet.

Matte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Matte

Take a break dude.  Stay away from the game for a few days, get something else in your library to distract ya and come back to it later.  Lot of athletes so to speak need to get away till things click for them.  Forcing it usually doesn't work, just my 2c

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stang
    @NinjaHunter: We have the same avatar almost. I love you I think! Sadly, I think you may be right, it hurts me to think about taking a break though.

@demontium: It is not even that I am losing, I am just playing like shit. I only played jonny beast digital and some dude I just met named Cast 4 Ron. I won both the sets, but I missed soooo many combos/ did so much flowchart shit it is painful. There were times where they focused, dashed back, and like 3 seconds later I would do a fierce srk because of the focus attack they did ages ago. What the hell???? I have been doing that for like 3 days now!!

@Napalm: This is not about my skill level. This is me not being able to play my game, and I don't know why. I really need help getting out of this funk. Think about it, what if every time you went for your jab jab jab flash kick combo, you got jab jab jab taunt, or jab jab jab nothing instead? This is my dilemma. My hands are not cooperating!
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm

Oh dude, I've hit my jab (x3) > Somersault Kick combo maybe five times in the past month, dude. It is embarrassing, but I am blaming it on my controllers broken unresponsiveness.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJOR64
    @Stang: Maybe you should just take some time off like I am right now.  While I still play the game, I've only been playing it for like an hour a day or so.
    j0nnyDiGITAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By j0nnyDiGITAL
    @Stang:  Just eat mad ice cream.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: Sadly I have nothing to blame my shit play on besides myself. I hope you get back to hitting your combos soon, it feels like shit missing what you know you should hit every damn time.

@JJOR64: Thanks. I think you are right. Tekken will be here on Saturday, I think I will mess with that for a while. SFIV is an addiction at this point, it is really hard to not play every day. Will you be getting Tekken soon?
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RsistncE
    @Stang: You can do one of two things:

1) Take a break

or

2) Try something different within the game

Everyone gets in a rut with any skill based activity and usually one of the two above actions fixes that problem. I personally favour trying something different; using TF2 as an example, if I start sucking with Pyro or Demoman then I switch it up to another class and I start doing fine and eventually I switch back to Pyro or Demo at full strength.

I hope this helps because you may not <3 me Stang but I <3 you bro. I <3 you.
    imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By imhuntad
    @NinjaHunter said:
    " Just sounds like you need to take a little break. Take your mind off of street fighter for awhile then come back later. "
    This. Now.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stang
    @RsistncE: Thanks for the advice man. If I play randoms, perhaps I will use Chun or Honda and just have fun, not focus on winning. I also would like to apologize to you for acting like a dick the other day.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar

Maybe you shouldn't play every match like your life depends on it. The game came with more then just Ken, focus on another character for a while then go back to it. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJOR64
    @Stang: I asked Tekken for Christmas so hopefully I will get it.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By demontium
    @Stang: Why not try the hardest arcade mode.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RsistncE

Yeah if you don't want to stop playing the game (which is usually how I am) switching it up can act as a refresher. Besides everyone has a main and an alt so you'll probably just be diversifying your skillset with SFIV.

Don't worry about it man, my post made me look like a condescending douche, so we're even haha.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stang
    @RsistncE: I don't have an alt! I guess you can call Ryu my alt since he is the easy mode version of Ken, but I use him once a year, so I pretty much suck with him.

Glad we are cool, seems we both just had off days the other day. Seems to be happening to a lot us.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RsistncE
    @Stang: Don't have an alt? WELL NOW YOU WILL.

By the way I wouldn't suggest insulting Ryu since we probably have some Daigo wannabe's running around in these forums haha.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Shadow

Sounds like you're taking the whole thing too seriously.  Just play the game to play it and you'll find that you perform better.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stang
    @RsistncE: Surprisngly there are very few Ryu's here! I am not complaining, 85% of my G1 matches are against absolutely horrible Ryu's, so I feel blessed that my Giant Bomb friends pick different characters. 

@Shadow: You are right. I do take this game too seriously. It is funny, when I started out I was absolutely horrible. I did not care about how much I won. I began playing far too much, and consequently I began beating the vast majority of people I encoutered on Live. Because of that I hold myself to a ridiculous standard, and that is wrong. In retrospect I only have fun when I am beating bitches up....in that sense I am a loser. I am far too competitive. Unless I am playing a Giant Bomb friend, I am not happy unless I win. Except for Jeff and Gambit, if I lose to those scrubs I better slit my neck! 

:p
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Stang: Don't have an alt? WELL NOW YOU WILL.  By the way I wouldn't suggest insulting Ryu since we probably have some Daigo wannabe's running around in these forums haha. "
    @Stang said:
    " @RsistncE: Surprisngly there are very few Ryu's here! I am not complaining, 85% of my G1 matches are against absolutely horrible Ryu's, so I feel blessed that my Giant Bomb friends pick different characters. 

Ya we don't have many Ryus on the forums. Now that I think about it I think Gambit is the only one (one too many if you ask me). People get enough Ryu experience from online so it's great that we have people who play different characters. Though I think Balrog is probability the most popular among the more active posters.
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By yetiantics

you too, huh? I'm struggling as well.  Almost same things as you.  
    I also don't have an alt. lol 
    working on one though...

I'd hit the training room myself.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stang
    @SpecialBuddy: Do you have any tips for me to break out of this shit storm of suckiness? I respect your game in every way, anything you say I would try.

@PantyshotMQN: I am in training mode almost as much as I play online. I just don't get it, the past few days I have been horrible. I have not been losing a bumch, but I have been missing far much more then I typically do. I think it is a mental block, I don't know. Thanks for the post!
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @Stang:  I just say don't get mad over everything that happens. This is Street Fighter. People win and people lose. Anything can happen. Just save the saltiness for when it is really deserving and not over some random guy who beat you in Championship mode. 

I would also STRONGLY suggest that you start going to tournaments. Find someones house, some arcade, some back ally, I don't care. Just find a place to play with real people. They are your best advise cause they can tell you how to improve on the fly.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper

Take a break from the game. It sounds like you're mentaly fatigued. 1 or 2 days break will do. Play some Modern Warefare. I've been switching it up between MW2 some nights, then some SFIV, then a little 2d MMO I like then something else and I must say I'm better at SFIV then I ever have been. I'm hitting combos more then I used to and reading opponents so much better and zoning them how I want to most of the time. I played 10 games with Canned earlier tonite and although it was a little laggier then when I play against you or Ultima I still managed to do all my combos and played like I've never played. I'm sure next week I'll go back to loosing to bullshit but such is SFIV and really all games or activites. Ups and downs.

@Napalm:
    Do c.Jab, c.Jab, c.MPxxFK. It does more damage then simple jab x3.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By napalm
    @Scooper said:
    " Take a break from the game. It sounds like you're mentaly fatigued. 1 or 2 days break will do. Play some Modern Warefare. I've been switching it up between MW2 some nights, then some SFIV, then a little 2d MMO I like then something else and I must say I'm better at SFIV then I ever have been. I'm hitting combos more then I used to and reading opponents so much better and zoning them how I want to most of the time. I played 10 games with Canned earlier tonite and although it was a little laggier then when I play against you or Ultima I still managed to do all my combos and played like I've never played. I'm sure next week I'll go back to loosing to bullshit but such is SFIV and really all games or activites. Ups and downs.

@Napalm: Do c.Jab, c.Jab, c.MPxxFK. It does more damage then simple jab x3. "
    I'll save that training for when I get my new FightPad, since with my broken one now, I don't have actually have a MP button, haha.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium said:

" @Stang said:

" Well, I am in a rut. We all fall into one once in a while, and unfortunately I am in one again. After the set against the dude that posted vids on youtube (Spanish Hitman), I am sucking ass. I am missing links like a mother fucker, I am reacting extremely slow, and I am missing extremely easy punish opportunites.  For instance, tonight against Cast for Ron's beastly Chun, he whiffed an ultra. I had full ultra. Instead of hitting him with full ultra, what did my hands decide to do? Hit him with a weak ass fierce srk. What the fuck?  I need advice from my SF buddies on how to get out of this rut. I am tired of sweating balls against everybody I play, no matter their skill level.  Please don't post bullshit here. I want to know what you guys do on the real to break out of the ruts we see every once in a while, no sarcastic bullshit.  Thank you, much appreciated. "
    I go on the hardest mode on arcade and beat it.  I go back online, only do matches with full connection, and use my best character and go all out.  That gets me out of those loosing funks. "
    Don't see how this will help, and I also don't see how taking a break will do anything personally. When I take a break I come back and play much worse. The only advice I can give is to just brush it off, keep playing and if you do something dumb don't beat yourself over the head for it. Whenever I get into "depression mode" in Street Fighter it is basically the worst thing in the world, since it makes me play worse. So avoid that at all costs. If you listen to Valle's speech, you're a moron. The whole notion of getting salty and angry at your opponent for beating you, angry at yourself for not performing well, is not a good idea from my experience.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jeffsekai

1.Don't even look at Ken for a bit, pick someone else.

2. Don't play with random mashers

3. Have a side game going ( i.e. Tekken 6) 

4. Yell at more people on the forums

5. Do what SpecialBuddy said goto your arcades and fight people there find a local tournament. Maybe the people there will be able to help/give you the competition you want.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:

" @Stang said:

I go on the hardest mode on arcade and beat it.  I go back online, only do matches with full connection, and use my best character and go all out.  That gets me out of those loosing funks. "
    Don't see how this will help, and I also don't see how taking a break will do anything personally. When I take a break I come back and play much worse. The only advice I can give is to just brush it off, keep playing and if you do something dumb don't beat yourself over the head for it. Whenever I get into "depression mode" in Street Fighter it is basically the worst thing in the world, since it makes me play worse. So avoid that at all costs. If you listen to Valle's speech, you're a moron. The whole notion of getting salty and angry at your opponent for beating you, angry at yourself for not performing well, is not a good idea from my experience. "
    This basically. Just keep fighting. You'll eventually come out of your slump. Everybody has a bad or two.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thrawn1

try watching videos of great ken players...(ed ma maybe?) you might get some new ideas that way

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Afroman269

Don't suck ass.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scooper
    @lordofultima: If he's in a rut where simply playing anyone is pissing him off then it's probably best not to play at all. If I take a couple days break and come back yeah I'm awful for the first 10 matches but after that I get back into my old groove and it's all good again. The fact he's not even pressing the right buttons makes me think he's just fatigued which all people get if they play a game or activity so much for long. Playing to roll out of the rutt wouldn't do anything in my opinion because if you're fatigued the best thing to do is rest.

@Napalm said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " Take a break from the game. It sounds like you're mentaly fatigued. 1 or 2 days break will do. Play some Modern Warefare. I've been switching it up between MW2 some nights, then some SFIV, then a little 2d MMO I like then something else and I must say I'm better at SFIV then I ever have been. I'm hitting combos more then I used to and reading opponents so much better and zoning them how I want to most of the time. I played 10 games with Canned earlier tonite and although it was a little laggier then when I play against you or Ultima I still managed to do all my combos and played like I've never played. I'm sure next week I'll go back to loosing to bullshit but such is SFIV and really all games or activites. Ups and downs.

@Napalm: Do c.Jab, c.Jab, c.MPxxFK. It does more damage then simple jab x3. "
    I'll save that training for when I get my new FightPad, since with my broken one now, I don't have actually have a MP button, haha. "

Hahahahahaha. I saw your video blog and lmao when I saw the buttons all the way pushed in. I'd of loved to of seen that happening.
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Adamantium

Well taking a break would help the mental part of it, but you'll come back rusty, I think.

Really I bet you just need to not think about it so much and put it out of your mind. Play it autonomically, I'm sure you're good enough. Put on some music you like, forget about your win/loss record while you go at it, and just play for playing's sake, instead of maxing out on every match. Once you feel like you're back in the swing of things, I bet you'll be hitting all your links and not falling for silly tricks before you even realize it.

Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gunner_Thor

You just need an alternate.  When I get into a rut I just switch from Vega to Gief for a while and vice versa. 
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AniMoney

Dude I'm sort of in the same place you are. Except my rut is just cause I'm bored of Balrog. Take a break or mess around with other characters.   

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fallen189

Practise.

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By misterpope
    @SpecialBuddy said:
       I would also STRONGLY suggest that you start going to tournaments. Find someones house, some arcade, some back ally, I don't care. Just find a place to play with real people. They are your best advise cause they can tell you how to improve on the fly. "

This. Playing against real people right there can help so much. Make sure they aren't too far below your skill level though. It'll help a lot.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Stang

Thanks for all the advice guys. I just got Tekken today from Amazon, I think I will fuck around with that for a while and only play SF to get through this tourny. I may give Ken a break and try somebody else, who knows. Maybe give Rog or Dhalsim a try, can't be much worse with them then I am with Ken currently.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AniMoney
    @Stang said:
    "Dhalsim "
    Dude yes. Please pick up Dhalsim, nobody plays him.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Stang
    @AniMoney: That is exactly why I figured I would give him a try. Playing Dhalsim is the polar opposite of the rush down style I use with Ken, maybe I will learn a thing or two in the process. Or maybe I will wake up tomorrow and mysteriously be back on my game, who knows.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By jakob187

No, no.  It's okay, Stang.  You followed the Ken flowchart perfectly.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By napalm
    @jakob187 said:
    " No, no.  It's okay, Stang.  You followed the Ken flowchart perfectly. "
    Dude, shutup with the flowchart shit already.

In other news Stang, seriously, just relax and play like you have been. We all have off-days and even off-weeks. You just have to power through the rough spots and keep playing like nothing is wrong, while still focusing on tip-top execution.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Stang
    @jakob187: Even at my worst I am sure you are free to me, so go ahead.

@Napalm: Thanks man. If you are around tomorrow, we should play a few. You may get to see the world premiere of my beast Dhalsim! By beast, I mean completely garbage of course.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @jakob187: Even at my worst I am sure you are free to me, so go ahead.

@Napalm: Thanks man. If you are around tomorrow, we should play a few. You may get to see the world premiere of my beast Dhalsim! By beast, I mean completely garbage of course. "
    Not sure about tomorrow. I'll be working all day and then I'll be hanging out with some friends that night. I've been dealing with some personal shit lately so I just need to get the fuck out of the house/away from Street Fighter IV for a day or two.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: Alright, no problem. Next time I see you screwing around with SF I will shoot you an invite.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @Napalm: Alright, no problem. Next time I see you screwing around with SF I will shoot you an invite. "
    LOL, when I read your thing I thought it said, "if I see you playing Street Fighter IV, I'm going to shoot you IN THAT FACE FOR LYING TO ME!"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.