Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Should I wait for Super SFIV?

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DRE7777

I've played some street fighter IV and never wanted to get it because of how crazy complex i feel like it is for being a noob. But with super street fighter IV comming out as well as listening to old podcasts where they talk about street fighter a lot, I really wanna get this game. Basically, should i wait for super street fighter or just go get it now?
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

If you're willing to wait a little while, I would say do that. 

You will be getting more and wont have to get the game again if you decide to get SSF4.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

if you really, really want it, go ahead and buy it. it's at a reasonable price now (and i think super SFIV will be at a reduced price) 

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

if you wait then you won't have the skill needed to really compete. even though this game will become outdated, you will still learn theory and strategy that can be applied anywhere.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Stang

You can get the best current gen fighting game for $20 (obligatory my opinion here), why not? You may as well learn the game if you are going to get into SSFIV later.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Wolverine

I'm in the same boat as you are. To tell you the truth I think I'm just going to wait until the game is available on Games on Demand. I'm in no rush to play it.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

I say go for it.  It's only $30 new now and defiantly well worth it.  Super Street Fighter IV wont be coming out for like 4 to 6 months so, SFIV should help you for the time being.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By gla55jAw

If you think you will have fun playing it, get it now. It's cheap enough.Or maybe get HD remix. if you want to get a feel for Street Fighter you're going to have to play it at some point. If your not a complete noob to fighting games, you should be able to pick up concepts.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Get it to learn SFIV, and if you get the 360 version, there's a good number of Giantbomb users to play.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I've seen it at Wal Mart and Target for like $20. Its a very reasonable price. I'd say buy it now.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By asurastrike
    @ThePhenomenal1 said:
    " if you wait then you won't have the skill needed to really compete. even though this game will become outdated, you will still learn theory and strategy that can be applied anywhere. "
    Eew, your post.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By copycatzen
    @DRE7777:
    Get a used one.... it will be worth it
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
    @Asurastrike: what the hell do you mean? its very simple, play against alot of people and youy will get better reguardless of which game you're playing. many mindgames and tactics go across different games in the genre. so much of what you learn in SF$ will work just fine in SSF4. do you not get the idea or are you just retarded as such?
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NinjaHunter

I would suggest waiting. But it really depends if you want to be able to compete online at the release of SSFIV or if you don't mind losing a lot for a little bit. Well, either way you will probably lose a lot at first it since you're just learning. Although SSFIV will have more to learn than if you start with SFIV. So if you do get SFIV you will at least know the basics by the time SSFIV comes out.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i say wait. but realize that no matter what, you will lose eventually. Nobody wins forever

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16  Edited By Symphony
    @JJOR64 said:
    " I say go for it.  It's only $30 new now and defiantly well worth it.  Super Street Fighter IV wont be coming out for like 4 to 6 months so, SFIV should help you for the time being. "
    I'd second this opinion. You can find it even cheaper for PC, though consoles have a bigger player base (I'd assume xbox has the biggest). You'll either have to get over the learning curve now or later when everyone else has a had 6 months of practice so I'd say go for it. Capcom is promising something "special" for people who own both versions, though I'm not getting my hopes up that it's anything more than a bonus video or costume (heck even a costume is wishful thinking).
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Plasma

Obviously get it, SSFIV will be very similar, read: identical to SFIV, as its mainly new characters and balance tweaks.  
    You'll learn focus attacks, FADC's, and SF basics like zoning and knowing how to punish. Otherwise when SSFIV comes out you'll be one of the scrubs getting raped by people who have played before ;)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By Atlas

*obligatory Atlas likes Virtua Fighter more than Street Fighter post*

Seriously, though, if you're interested in a Street Fighter game, just get SFIV. It's a good deal right now, and a lot of people have had some extremely nice things to say about that game. Never pass up the opportunity to get a great game at a great chance.

Or you could get Virtua Fighter 5. That's even cheaper. And, you know, better.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Plasma
    @Atlas said:
    " *obligatory Atlas likes Virtua Fighter more than Street Fighter post*  Seriously, though, if you're interested in a Street Fighter game, just get SFIV. It's a good deal right now, and a lot of people have had some extremely nice things to say about that game. Never pass up the opportunity to get a great game at a great chance.  Or you could get Virtua Fighter 5. That's even cheaper. And, you know, better. "
    Or he could download a ROM for 3s, which is free, and, you know, better. 

But I think SFIV is nice for beginners with the inputs and stuff.
    Diagonol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diagonol

If you're competitive get it now.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By GunstarRed

I would get it now if you have any intention of winning matches, when SFIV first came out there were a lot more players just finding their feet but some people will be going into SSIV with a whole lot more skill and knowledge.... if youre just going to mess about with it with friends then wait  it out for SSFIV... I don't think I envy anyone going into online without knowledge of  the first game.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By dbz1995
    @Atlas said:
    " *obligatory Atlas likes Virtua Fighter more than Street Fighter post*  Seriously, though, if you're interested in a Street Fighter game, just get SFIV. It's a good deal right now, and a lot of people have had some extremely nice things to say about that game. Never pass up the opportunity to get a great game at a great chance.  Or you could get Virtua Fighter 5. That's even cheaper. And, you know, better. "
    Really? For some reason, I can never get into Virtua Fighter...at all.

Anyway, I would say wait, because you can practice all you want when you get SSFIV. You can even practice with me! (hopefully)
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'll echo the earlier sentiments: it's super cheap, a must-own game and you'll have a few months of fun while honing your skills before the next iteration is out. 

Also, does anyone know if the storylines/campaigns from the original will be in Super? If not, then there's that going for a buy-now as well.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PureRok

Along with what everyone else said, you supposedly also get some sort of bonus in SSFIV if you own SFIV.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By asurastrike
    @ThePhenomenal1 said:
    " @Asurastrike: what the hell do you mean? its very simple, play against alot of people and youy will get better reguardless of which game you're playing. many mindgames and tactics go across different games in the genre. so much of what you learn in SF$ will work just fine in SSF4. do you not get the idea or are you just retarded as such? "
    No, I just hate the idea of buying a game so you can practice for when you buy the newer, better version a couple months later. Also, internet rage.
    fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fRAWRst
    @Asurastrike: that is a terrible thing to hate. what logic is there behind it?

id say get it, you can find it for 19.99 at some places and it won't be another 5 months (i think march at earliest, make it little over a year) till SSIV comes out. And 5 months of fun and practice is going to be hugely beneficial, especially if you plan to enjoy the higher levels of play once the update comes out. Everyone who's bought SF4 is going to buy SS4 (unless theyre not fans of the genre) and you're damn right theyve been practicing for over a year.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By asurastrike
    @fRAWRst said:
    " @Asurastrike: that is a terrible thing to hate. what logic is there behind it?  id say get it, you can find it for 19.99 at some places and it won't be another 5 months (i think march at earliest, make it little over a year) till SSIV comes out. And 5 months of fun and practice is going to be hugely beneficial, especially if you plan to enjoy the higher levels of play once the update comes out. Everyone who's bought SF4 is going to buy SS4 (unless theyre not fans of the genre) and you're damn right theyve been practicing for over a year. "
    I also hate when people talk about practicing a game. Maybe it's the old man in me (I'm 19), but if you are going to dedicate time to practice something, then why not practice something actually useful? Maybe learn a second language or learn to play an instrument. Practicing to play a fighting game...ugh.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#28  Edited By AgentJ

I'm waiting, because I know I'm almost definitely buying the super version

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Stang
    @Asurastrike: Who are you to judge what a person should practice? Is learning how to play a flute any more beneficial to the world then learning how to play a video game? No. From a social stand point, you are more likely to meet people playing SFIV competitively over picking up an instrument. Isn't that worth something?
    fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fRAWRst
    @Asurastrike: You are getting mad at how a person spends his time? Frankly, fuck you. You can do whatever you want with your time, but don't go around telling other people that the hobbies they may enjoy aren't worth the time. Do you spend every waking moment doing useful stuff?
    RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RawShark

SF4 is actually not that difficult for noobs. Well, I say that, but only because bitches don't know bout IIIstrike.

I'd say get it. It's gonna be a while before SSF4 appears, and you should get the practice in. Also, I think people who own both will get a bonus in SSF4. So, why not. You can always sell it to make up a bit of the price later on.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By asurastrike
    @fRAWRst said:
    " @Asurastrike: You are getting mad at how a person spends his time? Frankly, fuck you. You can do whatever you want with your time, but don't go around telling other people that the hobbies they may enjoy aren't worth the time. Do you spend every waking moment doing useful stuff? "
    lol, honestly I don't care about this thread at all. You're getting worked up over nothing.
    fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fRAWRst
    @Asurastrike: care about this thread at all? man we should really put an iq test to get onto this internet thing of ours
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Plasma
    @fRAWRst said:
    " @Asurastrike: care about this thread at all? man we should really put an iq test to get onto this internet thing of ours "
    No IQ test needed, your right, he's wrong.
    DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DRE7777
    @fRAWRst:
    Where is it 20 dollars? i looked at walmart yesterday and it was still 50.
    DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DRE7777
    @fRAWRst:
    ok never mind, i the one walmart i went to must have been retarded or something because i went to another one today and it was only 30 and its 25 used at game stop so once i get my full of MW2 (which wont be for a while lol) i am def getting it
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AniMoney

If you get it I'll help teach you how to play.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Stang
    @AniMoney said:
    " If you get it I'll help teach you how to play. "
    I can attest to this. Ani will show you how to turtle with the best of them :p
    Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gunner_Thor

get it now so there will be one less shoto scrub online when SSF4 comes out.
    Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gunner_Thor

get it now so there will be one less shoto scrub online when SSF4 comes out.
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for the game but get HYPE

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.