Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Sportsmanship in Street Fighter IV

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

I am new to fighting games with street fighter IV being the first fighting game I've ever seriously played.  I went into street fighter assuming that the community would be the same ass holes and scumbags that seem to blight halo and gears of war.  Those people who never seem to shut up, talking trash at every opportunity. 

However I was amazed at the sportsmanship and friendliness of the street fighter IV community.  I'm a scrub and as such I get my as handed to me 75% of the time.  However most of the time after I get my ass kicked my opponent sends me a message saying "gg keep up the practice"  or they will send me a message with tips on how to play.   I have only ever had one player drop during a match.  I must say Street Fighter IV has one of the best communities that I have ever been a part of.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Yeah Halo and GEoW attracts the military macho rejects of life. Glad you've come on over to SFIV, maybe try a dab at HD Remix.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Stang

Hate to break it to ya, but there are a lot of fuck faces that play SFIV. Wait until you become more proficient, the hate mail will be flying your way. If you play a shoto, expect more then normal.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By yakov456

Online gaming, where assholes can hide in anonymity. I've never played sf4 online but I am sure there are plenty of douche bags. 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By lordofultima

Yeah Street Fighter is pretty full of hate, I generally found the FPS community surprisingly heart-warming in comparison.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

What? People are actually nice to you when you suck? I guess I don't suck enough. Damn you HD Remix and the experience you gave me!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Dude, go to Shoryuken (home of the hardcore SF IV pros) and you'll be surprised.  That place is full of people who'll call you a scrub for being a user who signed up in 2009 and for asking a question that you should know.  The only place where you could feel "safe" there for askingquestions when you're new is the ''noob'' threads where people are generally really helpful.  But even there they'll pound on you if you asked something you could have found with a little searching around the thread.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

I guess the reason people are nice to me is that I usually find someone who is way better than me and then play them about ten times all using fei long.  After ten matches people understand that I am trying to learn a new character and they tend to be respectful.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima said:
    " Yeah Street Fighter is pretty full of hate, I generally found the FPS community surprisingly heart-warming in comparison. "
    I disagree with that, you do anything "clutch" in FPS and anyone ells at you and calls you a bitch. I find that when you play Street Fighter, sure you get a few rejects who complain about you winning...but I also get a few who will give me a gg after a good match. That never happens in any FPS I've ever played on Xbox 360.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189

Youre probably not a scrub buddy, just a new player :)

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " Yeah Street Fighter is pretty full of hate, I generally found the FPS community surprisingly heart-warming in comparison. "
    I disagree with that, you do anything "clutch" in FPS and anyone ells at you and calls you a bitch. I find that when you play Street Fighter, sure you get a few rejects who complain about you winning...but I also get a few who will give me a gg after a good match. That never happens in any FPS I've ever played on Xbox 360. "
    I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic. ;)
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12  Edited By Symphony
    @thatpinguino said:
    " I guess the reason people are nice to me is that I usually find someone who is way better than me and then play them about ten times all using fei long.  After ten matches people understand that I am trying to learn a new character and they tend to be respectful. "
    I can see this. I tend to do the same when playing someone who is obviously trying to learn a new character -- if they have the perseverance to put up with losing ten times in a row to me, the least I can do is send them a message wishing them luck (especially if they're a fellow Chun player). Good to see you're finding cool people. While the jerks tend to be the more vocal ones, there are a LOT of friendly, fun players who play. They just tend to be the quiet ones who will join and leave without saying anything. If you play on xbox360, feel free to add me (gamertag: Wintersigh) and I'd be happy to give you some sparring practice.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Flushes
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Dude, go to Shoryuken (home of the hardcore SF IV pros) and you'll be surprised.  That place is full of people who'll call you a scrub for being a user who signed up in 2009 and for asking a question that you should know.  The only place where you could feel "safe" there for askingquestions when you're new is the ''noob'' threads where people are generally really helpful.  But even there they'll pound on you if you asked something you could have found with a little searching around the thread. "
    Shoryuken is a pretty terrible place to learn the basics, regardless of how many "new player" threads they have. It's a wealth of information, but you will have to dig past a fantastic amount of elitism, dick-waving, and bullshit to get to it. Lurk there for a LONG time before you so much as think about making an account, and make sure you do a ton of homework on basic terminology and other stuff like that. Watch videos, learn the big names in the community, etc. 
    Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gunner_Thor

the asshats are still here especially in SF4,
    Heshtodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Heshtodd

I play on Ps3 and find a lot of rage quitters.  I don't know how many times I make it to a final battle in championship mode and my status resets on account of the other player disconnecting.  I wish they would fix that. 

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I just played SF2 HF on XBLA again today...
    I suck at fighting games, I couldn't get past Honda and I rage quit.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Flushes

If you want to make enemies in Street Fighter, simply play a character that has a command grab, then learn to reliably tick into it. 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By lordofultima

Shoryuken is a great place once you understand how the place runs. If you're an ass-hat like everyone else, AND contribute a lot of stuff to your character forum, people are sure to warm up to you. Works for me. My advice is to lurk on SRK if you're easily offended.

As for the SF4 community being all ggs, it's exactly the opposite. 90% of the people I fight online leave me d-bag messages afterward, to which I respond "lol u mad?" At least when I played Halo regularly people would talk trash during the game, it's funnier that way. No one likes to talk mess with no other teammates to hide behind. Scurred.

Diagonol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Diagonol

Asshat is comin' back!

But yeah I agree with you, though I main Chun Li and win most of my matches... I don't really receive much hate mail if any, but when I play Zangief or the Shotos. Watch out. At least I never touch Sagat I can only imagine what those users get in terms of e-h8.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

Sportsmanship is more commonplace in Player Matches, I've found. In Ranked Matches you get a lot more assholes who want to hang onto their precious Battle Points and resort to annoying tactics rather than a good game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.