Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Who should I main?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

If don'y already know this, I SUCK AT STREET FIGHTER. I have many, many, issues with my gameplay. Most of them come from not being able to read the god damn command list in the training menu, it's in fucking jibberish. I find my way around this by rotating th analog stick and hitting a button, BAM ultra. this causes issues with tryin Hadoken over Menstu Haydoken when playing a Ryu (same issues with Gouken and others). since I got Street Fighter I have "mained" Dhalsim, Ryu, Gen, Rufus, Chun-Li, and now Gouken. Notice none of them are charge style fighters except Chun. Most of my luck has came with Ryu (hadoken is most of it) but his Ultra sucks I really heavily on Ultra. My next options are Akuma (I don't want lower myself to that), maybe back to Rufus he has a solid Ultra. Hopefully some of you can pull out of the viod of Street Fighter rage, for the sake of me and my controllers.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By animateria

Ryu's ultra sucks?

Now that's a first. 

Stick to one character you are comfy with, you haven't 'mained' anyone from what I see.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Belonpopo
    @animateria:
    Ryu's Ultra sucks, I can be blocked, it can miss, and I doesn't do enough damage. 
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @Belonpopo said:
    " If don'y already know this, I SUCK AT STREET FIGHTER. I have many, many, issues with my gameplay. Most of them come from not being able to read the god damn command list in the training menu, it's in fucking jibberish. I find my way around this by rotating th analog stick and hitting a button, BAM ultra. this causes issues with tryin Hadoken over Menstu Haydoken when playing a Ryu (same issues with Gouken and others). since I got Street Fighter I have "mained" Dhalsim, Ryu, Gen, Rufus, Chun-Li, and now Gouken. Notice none of them are charge style fighters except Chun. Most of my luck has came with Ryu (hadoken is most of it) but his Ultra sucks I really heavily on Ultra. My next options are Akuma (I don't want lower myself to that), maybe back to Rufus he has a solid Ultra. Hopefully some of you can pull out of the viod of Street Fighter rage, for the sake of me and my controllers. "
    Dude what? Akuma's pretty good and if you can't use Ryu, I don't see you having an easier time with anyone else.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

No Caption Provided
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Try Guile. Always worked for me.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Belonpopo
    @CornontheCobbe: 

Charge character = Fail

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

akuma plz 

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @Belonpopo: At least I tried ;)
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Whoever you want.  I think it should be a personal choice, don't let external factors sway your opinion.  Choose a character that you are most comfortable playing with or a character that you personally like and stick with him/her.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By sodiumCyclops

My main = Crimson Viper, Secondary = Ken

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By SamStrife

I know you say charge characters fail, but hear me out when I say Blanka...

I remember a time when I suked at SF games, couldn't even dream of pulling a fireball off, but I practiced hard and got pretty darn good with Shotoken characters ,leariing combos and cancels and the like on they way.

I couldn't fathom charge characters in any way though, it seemed impossible to pull off any of their moves, and it didn't make sense that they were slowed down by having to charge, when a quarter circle is (what feels like) 10x faster to pull off.  But I started practicinging with a few, learnt how to pull a charge move off and learnt what charge characters can and cannot do along the way.

Then I found Blanka, who is a dream to play.  He suits my style perfectly, not combo reliant as much as he requires a solid base game.  You can get through with Blanka on the fundimentals - ie. he isn't charge gauge reliant and he doesn't have a wealth of combos other characters have. I love him the most though, because you can play some serious mind games on your opponants with him.   Faking people into thinking I'm going to fling myself into them with a backstep roll, only to pull a short one and transition into a slide and combo is satisfying everytime.  And he mops the floor with any 'geif player.

Edit:  I know you said you played as Chun, but to be able to use her well you need to be kinda advanced at gauge management and combos and stuff, don't be dishearted with her and say all chargers suck, I now prefer them to Shotos'

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Belonpopo said:
    " @animateria: Ryu's Ultra sucks, I can be blocked, it can miss, and I doesn't do enough damage.  "
    Is this a joke? I can't tell.
    NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666
    @Belonpopo: Pick Dan, dude.
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Necrotrophic

ryu's ultra is the best in the game because it has more set ups than any other. dont just do his ultra standing there you gotta use it as a combo. you cant "lower" yourself to Akuma.... Akuma is legit. just learn the game mechanics

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AniMoney
    @Belonpopo said:
    " @animateria: Ryu's Ultra sucks, I can be blocked, it can miss, and I doesn't do enough damage.  "
    lol don't just throw it out there, combo into it, if you just randomly do it they can jump out every time 

@Belonpopo said:
    " @CornontheCobbe: 

Charge character = Fail

"
    Ok now you're just spouting nonsense, charge characters are viable if you just practice with them 

@Belonpopo said:
    " If don'y already know this, I SUCK AT STREET FIGHTER. I have many, many, issues with my gameplay. Most of them come from not being able to read the god damn command list in the training menu, it's in fucking jibberish. I find my way around this by rotating th analog stick and hitting a button, BAM ultra. this causes issues with tryin Hadoken over Menstu Haydoken when playing a Ryu (same issues with Gouken and others). since I got Street Fighter I have "mained" Dhalsim, Ryu, Gen, Rufus, Chun-Li, and now Gouken. Notice none of them are charge style fighters except Chun. Most of my luck has came with Ryu (hadoken is most of it) but his Ultra sucks I really heavily on Ultra. My next options are Akuma (I don't want lower myself to that), maybe back to Rufus he has a solid Ultra. Hopefully some of you can pull out of the viod of Street Fighter rage, for the sake of me and my controllers. "
    Learn to read the damn command list, or go do trial mode or find the list online. And then practice. You can't just expect to be good at this like it's an fps, you need to keep playing and practice. 

Pick Ryu, Ken, Balrog, or Rufus if you want someone who is simple to play and good at a low level.
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Necrotrophic

maybe street fighter 4 should have an auto-win button.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By beargirl1
    @Necrotrophic said:
    " maybe street fighter 4 should have an auto-win button. "
    brilliant. 
    newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By newmarcom
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @Necrotrophic said:
    " maybe street fighter 4 should have an auto-win button. "
    brilliant.  "
    One already exists. It's the "Zangief-Spinning-Lariat-Triple-Punch/Kick" button.
    logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By logson

You sound to be dying to get comfortable with a character. I'd suggest playing through Arcade Mode with every character on the roster, and just feel out which character you're having the most fun with.  Furthermore, don't just choose a character because you happen to be naturally good with them. For example: I was naturally pretty good with Sagat, as I used him a lot in my SFII days, but found Sakura to be by FAR the most fun to play with, and thus the easiest for me to make real progress in my game with.

Also, I'm guessing that you believe that Ryu"s ultra sucks because people jump over it.  An ultra is meant to be the cherry at the end of your combo, so I wouldn't worry about how much you think they suck unless you're having a particularly hard time executing it.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bjorno

dan

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Plasma

Come on people, your getting so obviously trolled.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By trophyhunter

ken

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By JJOR64

This thread is full of lulz.

Rufus is a fantastic character to main.  Try that fat bastard and see how you like him.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By lordofultima
    @Belonpopo said:
    So many problems with this post. 

• A) Ryu's Ultra is pound for pound one of the best.
    • B) Your next option being Akuma somehow lowers yourself as a human being?
    • C) Stop rotating the stick and hitting buttons randomly, this will solve all your problems.

Learn to do inputs, think of what each notation means. It has a line starting in down position, and ending in forward position, that is a quarter circle forward (QCF) motion. You would use that + any punch (P) to do a hadouken. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.