Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Super Mario Galaxy 2: Final Verdict

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

Edited By RAmpersaND

I'm not sure at what point it becomes truly fair to write a "final" verdict on Super Mario Galaxy 2. After beating the game, you've still got a whole 'nother world to play through, and even after collecting "all" 120 stars, you're tasked with collecting... *gulp*... another 120!

For full disclosure's sake: I just passed that second milestone, beating the game's final level for a second time only to learn that a whopping 50% of the game's stars still elude me. So, for my sanity's sake, let's consider that latter 50% purely "game-plus" material, and let's forge ahead with my verdict on SMG2!

The Good: Graphics, level design, and controls are all great, as I mentioned before. The sound design is fantastic. And the many worlds of SMG2 are all so unique that the game as a whole never stops demanding to be revisited. But what else could you expect? It's Mario! It's platforming at its finest!

The Bad: Half of the "cosmic clone" stars and half of the "purple coin" stars had me pulling my hair out, and the "fluzzard" levels (which rely entirely on motion controls) were annoying. Also, I don't understand why every time I'd reset my Wii, the game would reset my total lives to four, no matter how many more I'd managed to accumulate. But these are minor complaints.

The Stand-out  Moment: Reuniting with Yoshi for the first time.

The Verdict: 9.5 (out of 10)

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RAmpersaND

I'm not sure at what point it becomes truly fair to write a "final" verdict on Super Mario Galaxy 2. After beating the game, you've still got a whole 'nother world to play through, and even after collecting "all" 120 stars, you're tasked with collecting... *gulp*... another 120!

For full disclosure's sake: I just passed that second milestone, beating the game's final level for a second time only to learn that a whopping 50% of the game's stars still elude me. So, for my sanity's sake, let's consider that latter 50% purely "game-plus" material, and let's forge ahead with my verdict on SMG2!

The Good: Graphics, level design, and controls are all great, as I mentioned before. The sound design is fantastic. And the many worlds of SMG2 are all so unique that the game as a whole never stops demanding to be revisited. But what else could you expect? It's Mario! It's platforming at its finest!

The Bad: Half of the "cosmic clone" stars and half of the "purple coin" stars had me pulling my hair out, and the "fluzzard" levels (which rely entirely on motion controls) were annoying. Also, I don't understand why every time I'd reset my Wii, the game would reset my total lives to four, no matter how many more I'd managed to accumulate. But these are minor complaints.

The Stand-out  Moment: Reuniting with Yoshi for the first time.

The Verdict: 9.5 (out of 10)

mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#2  Edited By mgsolid86

Super Mario Galaxy 1 also does the "number of lives" reset.  I once had 34 lives stocked up, only to return a few hours later to three or four lives.  Not that I've needed a continue yet so it's not a real complaint, just strange.  Glad you enjoyed it!  Did you use your $20 credit at Amazon yet?

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @MGSolid86: Yeah - the whole "lives reset" thing frustrated me in both SMGs, even though needing a continue only becomes a problem when you're going for the 15 or so most difficult stars in either game, dying over and over again.

Thus far, my $20 Amazon credit remains unused. But maybe I'll have to resort to it if Gamefly never ships me Redemption!
    RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RLLink

I found the purple coin challenges just as easy as they were in part 1. Except for the one in that... Wood clock stage thing, forgot what it was called. Only one that got annoying. Didn't entirely mind my lives resetting, since I mainly used 3 or so in the really difficult stages.
    Collecting the green stars is already boring, and I only grabbed 8 of them. Ah well. I'll probably finish up in a month or so, since I only really grab 4 stars each day. Unless I feel like going to a nice 10-20 stars.

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @RLLink: The purple coin challenge on Clockwork Ruins I found to be second-most difficult overall. (The one on Tall Trunk took home first in my book.) But not all of the purple coin stars are hard to acquire, by any means. The one on Starshine Beach is actually one of the easiest stars in the entire game!

I'm a little surprised that you're not enjoying the Green Star Challenge. I'm 48 stars into it right now, and I already consider it to be one of the best aspects of SMG2, period.  I absolutely love the way it makes you re-think your assumptions about familiar stages over and over again!
    RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RLLink

Green Star Challenge is mainly me thinking "Could they have put it on this insane spot?" and then jump off the ledge only to die. So it's hardly that exciting since most of the time they're in plain sight before you reach them. Then again I decided to grab the ones in Boss Blitz first, and well... You see one of them during the load screen. Yeah. 

I still only have 8 stars in it, and I'm currently too lazy to grab the rest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.