Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy

Franchise »

It's Mario... in space! The Galaxy series is made up of Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel, Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii.

Good art style, creative level design, AWFUL controls

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

You all know what Super Mario Galaxy games are like so I'll skip the intro.  

The controls take half a second to respond, Mario's behaviors are erratic and inconsistent thus making relatively straightforward actions a leap of faith, and the games are riddled with random death scenarios that are completely out of your control. On top of that there are some of the worst camera angles in games outside of Tomb Raider. For a platformer you'd think these aspects would be more refined.  

Possibly you may be thinking at this point "oh Geno, maybe you're just bad at the games and now you're just mad". A plausible thought, but not really applicable in my case. I have no problem playing hard games or games at hard difficulty as long as the controls are sufficient. For example I'm currently over halfway through my insanity Mass Effect 2 playthrough and I haven't cursed any of my deaths once, since it's clear what I did wrong each time. 

SMGs are great games and I did overall enjoy them, but let's be honest, the controls are garbage. I feel that any reviewer that gave these games better than a ~85-90 score is probably a fanboy. Who here wants to bet that if Mario's foppish mannerisms were taken out of the game and it wasn't made by Nintendo its controls would be much more heavily scrutinized? I do. 

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Cwaff

If you try playing Mario 64 after Galaxy 2 you'll realise it's actually not so bad! At one point I jumped and shook the n64 controller and fell to my death. Felt rather silly after that!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I've gotta agree wholeheartedly.  The controls are floaty, and have bad response time.  What I have played of the SMG games I have enjoyed though. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

My sentiments exactly. Mainly the camera. It does the job but there are some cases in which it does a terrible job. Resulting in me falling off the platform more then once.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

I agree, on both the camera and controls.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Willy105

You can find things to complain about Mario Galaxy, but controls and camera don't really come to mind at all.

But the controls are definitely a few microseconds less responsive than Mario Sunshine's, especially the analog stick. But you won't really notice it unless you only play Mario games.

infamous021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By infamous021
    @Willy105: Nah I noticed it too, this game has a weird delay problem. Still a great game though.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The controls weren't great but with how good the rest of the game was I hardly noticed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.