Should I buy these SNES games?

#1 Posted by Hairy_Fish (365 posts) -

So I got a SNES the other day and bought Super Mario World, All stars, Starwing (Starfox) and Street fighter with it. I'm working on getting Super Mario Kart and the Donkey Kongs.

Popular games such as A Link to the Past, Shadowrun, Super R type, Pilotwings and Super Adventure Island are in a local retro game store. Should I buy them having never played them when I was younger?

Also is there any other game you guys could recommend to me that I should have. Obviously not games like Earthbound that are almost impossible to come across by normal people.

Cheers.

#2 Edited by Noct (306 posts) -

If you're cool with that era of graphics, then oh man is Shadowrun a blast. One of my all time favorite rpgs.

Pilotwings was very cool as well, but there's nothing to be gained by going back to that one. Even if you don't have a Wii you could emulate the N64 version.I personally don't think any of the others (you mentioned not buying yet) hold up very well...

If I was going to buy a Snes, Out of this World would be the first game I bought, hands down. Would totally hold up today too. It's a bit remnicent of Journey in a couple ways, and easily one of my all time favorite games ever.

Also, if you're playing Street Fighter, get a Game Genie if you can find one, the codes for that game were epic. And if you're into SNES fighters, Mortal Kombat 2 was absolutely fantastic; one of the best ports of an arcade game ever. Killer INstinct for SNES was a blast too.

#3 Edited by jking47 (1190 posts) -

If you have not played A Link to the Past, stop reading this now and go buy it. Seriously, stop reading. BUY IT TWICE DAMNIT!

EDIT:And yeah, Out of this World is amazing also...now I am gonna have to plug in my SNES again, you guys suck.

#4 Posted by NTM (7032 posts) -
#5 Edited by falling_fast (2142 posts) -

I recommend A Link to the Past and, if you can find it Donkey Kong Country II: Diddy's Kong Quest.

oh, and Final Fantasy III for the snes.

but A Link to the Past is absolutely essential. go get that right now :]

#6 Posted by Noct (306 posts) -

@jking47 said:

If you have not played A Link to the Past, stop reading this now and go buy it. Seriously, stop reading. BUY IT TWICE DAMNIT!

EDIT:And yeah, Out of this World is amazing also...now I am gonna have to plug in my SNES again, you guys suck.

Hahah, I don't even have one that works, he's killing me talking about it!

I just found out there's a collectors edition of OotW for PC you can download for like $10. I've been meaning to get it all week. Heh, just might go do that now...

While on the subject, Flashback was released for SNES I think (I played it on Genesis), and that's worth playing for sure. Super Star Wars was awesome if you're a fan...

Both Earthworm Jims are classic and totally hold up; I'm playing part one on 3DS right now...

#7 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Super Metroid

#8 Posted by SpaceRunaway (809 posts) -

Any licensed movie game.

#9 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

In my opinion, Super R-Type would be a must buy from that list if they are super cheap.

As for my recommendations, if you want to get something interesting/good for budget prices:

-Battleclash and its sequel Falcon's Revenge can both be purchased currently for dirt cheap on Amazon. 1 penny for each plus shipping. If you have a super scope, I highly recommend both these games.

-If you want something goofy and unique or simply are a fan of Frank Cifaldi, Pacman 2: The New adventures is going for under a dollar.

-F-Zero is a pretty iconic and fun racing game that's going for about 2$ right now.

-You can also get a Super Game Boy for $6 right now, with 3.99 shipping. If you have any interest in gb games, that's a steal.

But for just a blanket list of good games for the SNES, that's a little bit more tricky without knowing what kinds of genres you have interest in.

#10 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#11 Posted by Hairy_Fish (365 posts) -

@Alkaiser: I plan on getting the Super Game Boy down the line alright.

BTW, Super R Type goes for 15 euro (20 dollars) and Link to the past goes for 30 (40 dollars) Those prices worth it?

#12 Posted by vonFlampanker (322 posts) -

ActRaiser is well worth your time.

#13 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

You really should get A Link to the Past. One of my all time favorite games.

#14 Edited by believer258 (11039 posts) -

Big obnoxious picture recommendations for the win!

I was also looking for a Chrono Trigger picture but GB isn't too keen on letting me post pics right now.

#15 Posted by WizardShazam (135 posts) -

A Link to the Past was the last LoZ game I actually enjoyed, up until Darksiders came out. That aside, almost any Squaresoft JRPG is a good get, as well as Earthbound (probably my favorite game ever).

#16 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

@Hairy_Fish said:

@Alkaiser: I plan on getting the Super Game Boy down the line alright.

BTW, Super R Type goes for 15 euro (20 dollars) and Link to the past goes for 30 (40 dollars) Those prices worth it?

Hmm... that depends. If they're complete in box then I'd consider it, but if it's just for the game by itself then I'd say no. Then again I'm kind of cheap when it comes to my hobby.

Whats the general pricing for your retro store? I've found that some of them jack up the prices just because they can, so if you have other options when it comes to buying your classic games I'd search around. That's how you find the good stuff like Super Castlevania 4 for 5 bucks complete in box. Say, if you have old video stores or a Goodwill.

And not to besmirch the quality of games like Earthbound or Super Metroid or FF4-6, but don't pay an arm and a leg to play those. Earthbound is one of my favorite games of all time, but it's not worth the 100-200 most places will try to wring out of you. No game is worth that much IMO.

#17 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

@Hairy_Fish:

A Link to the Past is a must-have for SNES, in my opinion.

To me, the SNES is a great console for JRPGs, if you like them. My favourites are Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Illusion of Time and Secret of Evermore.

#18 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (708 posts) -

Secret of Mana. Uniracers. SimCity.

Fuck you if you hate SimCity.

#19 Posted by Elyk247 (361 posts) -

@Hairy_Fish said:

BTW, Super R Type goes for 15 euro (20 dollars) and Link to the past goes for 30 (40 dollars) Those prices worth it?

I feel that's kinda steep. They are essential to the SNES library though, so Ebay could be your best bet.

All retro stores are too high priced imo, they kind of rip you off even on lesser titles.

#20 Posted by Hairy_Fish (365 posts) -

@Alkaiser: It's like €15 for the typical good games you would of heard of like the Marios and such. It goes as low as €5 for some other low profile/obscure games. A link to the past is an outlier at €30.

I can't find a Super Metroid anywhere for under €30 either. When I find myself with €30 to spend, would you guys still recommend it?

#21 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

I have a SNES I picked up used years back. I have Link to the Past, Final Fantasy 3, and then just a few months ago I found a copy of Yoshi's Island in a give away bin. I discovered I am not much of a retro gamer, lol. I would rather play modern games, although these oldies are deep in the gameplay department. Also as a point of note, the SNES displays best on a old 480i 4:3 CRT TV. Big screen LCDs display these old games like dogmeat. You would think they would look even better on a HDTV, but they don't.

#22 Posted by Arabes (330 posts) -

@Hairy_Fish said:

@Alkaiser: It's like €15 for the typical good games you would of heard of like the Marios and such. It goes as low as €5 for some other low profile/obscure games. A link to the past is an outlier at €30.

I can't find a Super Metroid anywhere for under €30 either. When I find myself with €30 to spend, would you guys still recommend it?

Super metroid is an awesome game. super awesome in fact. But, Jesus man, 30 yoyos is a lot of money for a 20 year old game. If you just want to play it, there are easier ways of doing that. Much easier, maybe I'm crazy here or something but its not exactly piracy when your only other alternative is buying it second hand anyway. You're not denying the developer any cash and they only take about 10 seconds to download. just putting it out there.

#23 Posted by RuthLoose (740 posts) -

@Hairy_Fish said:

So I got a SNES the other day and bought Super Mario World, All stars, Starwing (Starfox) and Street fighter with it. I'm working on getting Super Mario Kart and the Donkey Kongs.

Popular games such as A Link to the Past, Shadowrun, Super R type, Pilotwings and Super Adventure Island are in a local retro game store. Should I buy them having never played them when I was younger?

Also is there any other game you guys could recommend to me that I should have. Obviously not games like Earthbound that are almost impossible to come across by normal people.

Cheers.

My personal belief with owning actual SNES games at this point is to avoid any game where a dead battery might be a huge issue. Games like Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Mario World 1 & 2 work well since you can beat some of those in a sitting or two. Longer games like Lufia 2, Final Fantasy IV, EarthBound are dreadful to play if you think the battery might die on your current playthrough.

That said, if you don't mind soldering, replacing the battery on an older cart can give you a pleasant peace of mind. Just make sure you test it out on a more common game before you screw up your copy of Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen.

#24 Edited by Hairy_Fish (365 posts) -

@Arabes: I'm with you. I had to resort to playing Earthbound on an emulator because of that (Along with it not having a PAL version). The thing is, I went to the trouble of actually buying the SNES so I feel as though I should get some of the actual games to go with it.

#25 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

You should always buy SNES games.

#26 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i wish i could recommend more games, but i started with a sega genesis in the past. i give you one word of warning though, i've seen tons of people including myself spend money on retro games only to stop playing it shortly after. so just be careful not to overdue it

#27 Posted by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -
#28 Posted by Hairy_Fish (365 posts) -

@kermoosh said:

i wish i could recommend more games, but i started with a sega genesis in the past. i give you one word of warning though, i've seen tons of people including myself spend money on retro games only to stop playing it shortly after. so just be careful not to overdue it

That makes sense, Since they're not making new games. At least not with any regularity.

Other than the Donkey Kongs though, I have reclaimed my childhood games that I want and am happy with what I currently have. That being said, I'm wondering if I should hunt down the physical copies of games like Super Metroid and Link to the Past just to have a that much better collection although having never played them.

#29 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

@RuthLoose said:

That said, if you don't mind soldering, replacing the battery on an older cart can give you a pleasant peace of mind. Just make sure you test it out on a more common game before you screw up your copy of Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen.

Ouch. I feel for you dude.

#30 Posted by RuthLoose (740 posts) -

@Alkaiser: Mind you, I don't own a copy of Ogre Battle, I just wouldn't want someone to eBay a copy or what have you and ruin it.

#31 Edited by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

@Arabes said:

@Hairy_Fish said:

@Alkaiser: It's like €15 for the typical good games you would of heard of like the Marios and such. It goes as low as €5 for some other low profile/obscure games. A link to the past is an outlier at €30.

I can't find a Super Metroid anywhere for under €30 either. When I find myself with €30 to spend, would you guys still recommend it?

Super metroid is an awesome game. super awesome in fact. But, Jesus man, 30 yoyos is a lot of money for a 20 year old game. If you just want to play it, there are easier ways of doing that. Much easier, maybe I'm crazy here or something but its not exactly piracy when your only other alternative is buying it second hand anyway. You're not denying the developer any cash and they only take about 10 seconds to download. just putting it out there.

He has a point. I'd hate to recommend that you go in blind and waste money on an overpriced game you might end up disliking. Though, if you feel a bit iffy about the whole piracy thing there's always virtual console. It's a lot cheaper to drop down 8 bucks before you think about dropping 40 or 50.

Also, dude, that store is scamming you bad. I picked up a lot of SNES games that included about 15 games for 50 bucks. LTTP was one of those. No boxes or manuals, but they still had the plastic sleeves on them which is the only thing that really matters to me anyways. If you have a lot of friends or acquaintances that played games when they were younger but fell out of the hobby think about asking them if they still have their old stuff. Odds are if they do they're just looking for a reason to get rid of it.

#32 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

@RuthLoose said:

@Alkaiser: Mind you, I don't own a copy of Ogre Battle, I just wouldn't want someone to eBay a copy or what have you and ruin it.

Oh, I thought you were speaking from personal experience. My bad.

#33 Posted by Sjosz (482 posts) -

Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Mega Man X, Final Fantasy 3, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Super Mario All Stars are all phenomenal games. If you can get them, you should.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.