Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 31, 2008

Strap on your fighting shoes and get ready to brawl on the Wii in the third installment of the Super Smash Bros. series.

Final Destination and No Items: LAME!

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Blubba

I simply don't get why people like to play that way. I mean it's not completely boring or anything, I like to do it just to mix it up every now and then, but constant play like that would get boring a lot more quickly than playing on the variety of awesome, crazy stages with all of the cool items. It's always been my thought that the SSB series was never supposed to be some ultra competitive fighting game like Street Fighter or Tekken. Also, lets be honest, the game simply does not have the depth of crazy combos like those games do. Also, I know people say the other stages and items create "cheapness", which to a certain extent, sure. However, in my experience, the person that played the best game usually wins. Besides, it's not really about winning, it's about having fun enjoying the absolute chaos. Playing Brawl on Final Destination with no items would be playing Mario Kart on Luigi's Circut with no items...and that's just dumb, yo.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By ReyGitano

I have a lot of friends that like playing Smash this way... I don't like playing Smash with them. It just seems like a strange choice of a fighting game to be competitive about.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I always liked Super Smash Brothers because of the crazy stages,the random items that fly out of the sky, and having four players just beating the shit out of each other. Any other way is just plain weird. 

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By beej
    @SlashseveN303 said:
     It just seems like a strange choice of a fighting game to be competitive about. "
    This is so god damned true.
    Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

completely agree with OP. i don't even know what i can add to that, you pretty much got it all down. SSB is super fun to play with friends, but weak if you're trying to be ultra-competitive with it

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

It's because they are bad people who only care about winning.

Also I'm saying you are a bad person if you only care about winning when playing games with your friends.

You are a bad person.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yoshimitz707

If it's how they have fun why does it matter to you?

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By clarke0

I'll agree Brawl is not a game that should be played competitively. Melee on the other hand actually has a wealth of advanced techniques, and depth that matches mechanics of traditional fighting games.

No one who attends tournaments just plays on Final Destination. Platforms are an important part of competitive play, and the series in general.

Items are ridiculously unbalanced and mostly based off luck. This is why when people want to have a skill orientated match, they turn them off.

So there you go. Play the game however you want of course, but that's why some people prefer certain stages and no items.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikemcn

I just build a flat stage with tall sides you cant jump out of and then turn on max items, soccer balls only.

Super Smash Soccer.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By TechHits
    @Blubba: 
    If you're not a competitive person it can be hard to understand.

It really sucks to lose the match because of something like the smash ball or a random stage trap. Those things are fun at first, but after the novelty wears off they are frustrating, both for the person that lost, but possibly more so for  the winner who had just lost the chance to win fair and square.

Ironically when someone is really good at SSB it's the items and crazy moving stages that make the game less fun to play.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar

The OP kinda answered the question himself. The only reason for doing this LAME match is to make it a pure game of skill and not luck. That and its LAME because the game wasn't meant to be played that way. kinda funny how your friends will do that but not play SSF4 and such (ok, its only funny if they don't, but the truth could be that they do play SSF4 (and other proven fighting games) but it just not stated. 

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm not really competitive about the game, but I do find that in two player games I enjoy it more if items are turned off. And the nice thing about final destination is that there's no messing about with a massive stage, no downtime, it's pretty much a constant fight. It's a game with a multitude of options that cater for a large variety of playstyles, yo. There's no need for hating.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Blubba
    @MEATBALL: Wasn't "hating", I even said I do it from time to time to mix it up a little bit.

@yoshimitz707: That would be true if the online play allowed for different match types. It was really frustrating when ended up in games like that. That was really the developer's fault, though. It doesn't even matter any more though because the Wii's online is  such a joke that I can't even get into a game anymore for what is Nintendo's most popular multiplayer franchise.

To add to my OP, I also hate the arrogant stance someFinal Destination players have that they're better at the game because they win with skill. I can usually beat those people on Final Destination, but it's been my experience that the second they step into Big Blue, they get overwhelmed pretty quickly and start dying. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @TechHits said:
    " @Blubba: If you're not a competitive person it can be hard to understand. It really sucks to lose the match because of something like the smash ball or a random stage trap. Those things are fun at first, but after the novelty wears off they are frustrating, both for the person that lost, but possibly more so for  the winner who had just lost the chance to win fair and square.Ironically when someone is really good at SSB it's the items and crazy moving stages that make the game less fun to play. "
    But by removing items and playing exclusively on a single flat surface, you remove a lot of the game's appeal.  The "ideal" competitive mode of Smash Bros. is a sterilized environment that forsakes what many enjoy about the games, and it's annoying to play against people that find No Items/Final Destination the only way to go.  In my experience, they'll fight to have the game played their way, even if it's a non-competitive, non-tournament setting, and will incessantly complain if they don't get their way.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Getz

AGREED.

trevorB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trevorB
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " The OP kinda answered the question himself. The only reason for doing this LAME match is to make it a pure game of skill and not luck. That and its LAME because the game wasn't meant to be played that way. kinda funny how your friends will do that but not play SSF4 and such (ok, its only funny if they don't, but the truth could be that they do play SSF4 (and other proven fighting games) but it just not stated.  "
    If it wasn't meant to be played that way you wouldn't be able to do it.

Also, you people are all just philistines.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

Fighting game snobs suck.

I say immediately after being a snob about Soul Calibur.

But yeah. The stakes are low, being "fair" isn't contingent on fun unless your idea of fun comes purely from winning based on an arbitrary sense of "fairness" you yourself set. The game is more fun in dynamic levels with crazy items. If I wanted to play a boring fighter, I would have.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Competitive Smash is dumb. In some ways, it's even dumber than competitive Pokemon, because at least the Pokemon people can make claim that the mechanics that encourage such play were put in the game by developers. In contrast, Smash is a party game that players have to remove options from in order to make it competitively viable. They're fun games, but my interest in competitive Smash (much as competitive pokemon) is one born out of irony that they exist in the first place.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I can enjoy Smash Bros either way. I am a major fan, Although I admit i'm not big on the really crazy matches. Like invisible, low gravity, curry and tiny. A match like that is just madness.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Andorski

SSBM is fun as a party game, and it's a fantastic (and extremely technical) competitive game as well.  It's what makes that game so good.  It shouldn't be knocked simply because no other fighting game has been able to reach both sides of the table.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daveyo520

Agreed

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TechHits
    @Hailinel said: 
    But by removing items and playing exclusively on a single flat surface, you remove a lot of the game's appeal.  The "ideal" competitive mode of Smash Bros. is a sterilized environment that forsakes what many enjoy about the games, and it's annoying to play against people that find No Items/Final Destination the only way to go.  In my experience, they'll fight to have the game played their way, even if it's a non-competitive, non-tournament setting, and will incessantly complain if they don't get their way. "
    sounds like whoever you're playing with is a colossal asshat :p

but seriously there Isn't really a right and wrong way to play a game, I was just saying personally that specific items and levels make the game less fun. for example, any level that forces you to scroll, or the warioware level. it's a cool novelty but after the first time it killed me, I was done. Same gos for certain items, like anything that can kill you in one hit (which in SSBB is a surprising number of things)

I personally wouldn't take it to the extreme of only FD / No items (my favorite level is yoshi's island), but I could see how someone who played alot more than me could find their way there.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Hizang

Whenever I play I always have items on to "Very High" and I always love the gimicky stages. But to each his own, who are you to look down apon there playing choice?
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous
    @clarke0 said: 

" I'll agree Brawl is not a game that should be played competitively. Melee on the other hand actually has a wealth of advanced techniques, and depth that matches mechanics of traditional fighting games.No one who attends tournaments just plays on Final Destination. Platforms are an important part of competitive play, and the series in general.Items are ridiculously unbalanced and mostly based off luck. This is why when people want to have a skill orientated match, they turn them off.So there you go. Play the game however you want of course, but that's why some people prefer certain stages and no items. "

Thisx100 is the answer.

Nobody likes to lose to RNG. It's the same reason everybody hates tripping. "OH MAN I WAS RUNNING TOWARD YOU BUT THEN SUDDENLY I'M ON THE GROUND AND YOU BEAT ME WITH NO INPUT FROM MYSELF BECAUSE I RANDOMLY FELL OVER. THAT SURE WAS FUN"

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DystopiaX

I like playing Smash that way...less randomness but still really fun. I don't like too much of the crazy in the game.

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vision

I play without items because it removes the random part of the game. (smashball is cool sometimes)

I play on all stages though.

Having said that, everyone has their way of playing.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iDarktread
    @Blubba said:
    " Playing Brawl on Final Destination with no items would be playing Mario Kart on Luigi's Circut with no items...and that's just dumb, yo. "
    I disagree.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By xpgamer7

It's a party fighting game. While unexplored as a genre you can't expect some people to turn it into more fighting less party. Everyone has their way of playing.

Shadowx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shadowx

I think a truely skilled player, can sue the skill and the stag eto its advantage. Sure some things are random, but in stages you can ussaly tell when soemthing is going to happen. And me and sibling, and cousins, we can use Items in strategic ways, sure the ones that appear are random, but to be able to control the randomess to use your advantage, shows true skill.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zityz

Only way to play that game is with Red shells on high and high damage on the animal crossing map...at night...on a Saturday. YOU HAVE NO WHERE TO HIDE AS K.K SLIDER SINGS YOU TO YOUR DOOM!

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BBQBram

Dictating how people should or shouldn't play a game: LAME!

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DeeGee

@BBQBram: Reviving old threads: LAME!

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By xpgamer7

Agreed, it's a party fighter and party fighters should be fun, quirky and downright crazy. They shouldn't be about competition but the fight itself. The competition just helps the flow.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By matoya
    @DeeGee said:

If it's still relevant, it's okay to do, calm down. Would you rather he made a new thread on the same topic? 

However, on topic, the reason people do this, is to remove the RNG from the game. It makes it skill based, not item or stage based randomness
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DeeGee

@Matoya said:

@DeeGee said:

If it's still relevant, it's okay to do, calm down. Would you rather he made a new thread on the same topic?

Yes. Yes I would.

I WILL NEVER CALM DOWN.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.