Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Smash Nintendo Direct Tues. 6PM EDT

• 73 results
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

So Nintendo just confirmed a Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct for next Tuesday at 6 PM EDT. The stream can be found over on this link: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-08-2014/

My Reggie Is Body.

Isabelle is excited!
    Isabelle is excited!

So what news are you guys looking forward to? I'm looking forward to see what new/old characters are coming. I would like to see the smaller stuff as well like menus and such. Also some talk about the online and a release date would be great as well.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Every character is now replaced by Marth.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By tebbit

Every character is now replaced by Marth.

Finally, dreams become reality.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Do give this thread a little more room for discussion, what do you want to see? A whole Nintendo direct devoted to one game there has to be more information than just character announcements. I want to see the following:

• Cross play (and cross buy) between the Wii U and 3DS
    • Showing off the online lobby and online play / features would be great to see as well
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Do give this thread a little more room for discussion, what do you want to see? A whole Nintendo direct devoted to one game there has to be more information than just character announcements. I want to see the following:

• Cross play (and cross buy) between the Wii U and 3DS
    • Showing off the online lobby and online play / features would be great to see as well

Cross play won't be in the game. They've already stated on multiple occasions that 3DS and Wii U players will not be able to fight each other and that both versions will have exclusive features (ex: stages, trophies) that won't be in the other. There will be a limited set of connectivity features and that's about it. Cross buy is also likely not happening.

This being a special Smash Bros.-specific direct, I'm expecting at least one new character reveal. Though I couldn't guess whether it'll be for a new or returning fighter.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want them to reveal that Marth being in was a joke, and he's actually replaced by Lucina.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iigrayfoxii: sorry, made this on my phone.

Besides new and returning characters, I would like to see the smaller stuff like menus and such. Also anything about the online would be great as well.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigdaddy81

I would be satisfied with a simple release date.

And for them to announce Captain N as a playable character.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mewtwo or Roy goddammit.

Hopefully they reveal more than one character. I'm betting Yoshi will be one of them.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Niceanims

I need my game & watch. I NEED it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

plz put in goku and naurto and reggie and ridley dunt 4get 2 put in nack the weasel plz sakrui

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJOR64

@steamrickroller said:

plz put in goku and naurto and reggie and ridley dunt 4get 2 put in nack the weasel plz sakrui

ALSO THE POWERPUFF GIRLS

For real though there is this guy who supposedly worked on Powerpuff Girls and he spams the shit out of wanting them in the new game. Miiverse is full of terrible people/kids.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 days till this kicks off.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I want them to announce Gengar as a playable character. If justice exists in Nintendoland, they'll stop ignoring the best Pokemon.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost there! Also, there is supposed to be some Release Window info in this thing as well.

Fall 2014. You heard it here first.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I'd like to see some more reps for things that previously have had no reps.

For a start we need an N64 rep, no Sheik does not count. The viable choices from that era would be Paper Mario, Banjo-Kazooie, Misc Rare Character Here, or James Bond. Rare's IPs removed it'd have to be Paper Mario, Krunch or James Bond. Probably none of those. Instead there'll be a 5th NES franchise that went no where getting love.

Second an eShop rep would be rad. I'm thinking Papa Blox. Could be that Western Hedgehog or the sexy police officer from Swap Force.

Third just reps for under repped series/games. I'd like to see Kamek filed as a Yoshi rep. I'd like to see Wolf switched for Krystal w/ staff. I'd be extremely happy if Flint made it in but that'd be crazy, I'm just hoping to maintain Ness and Lucas. I'm also hoping they're splitting up Sheik and Zelda. Maybe replace Shiek with Tetra or Impa so she can have a B down. Other than that I just hope they keep most of the good characters and make whatever cuts they have to make smartly. There's no need for there to be 2 Fox clones.

Finally yeah I bet there'll be a load of info about what's in the games. Modes, items, etc etc. This should be the first real burst of information that's actually useful. It'll be like the Smash Dojo only in video form and not every day. We can actually learn what's new about the game rather than just who's in it!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJOR64

Another round of potential leaked characters came out. Maybe we will see at least one of these today?

Shulk (Xenoblade)

Palutena (Kid Icarus)

Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven)

Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y

GoNintendo

They should just put in the wrestler from Rhythm Heaven Fever. Anyways, 5PM needs to hurry up and get here.

Should note that this leak is from the same leaker you leaked Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Pac-Man and Mii which a lot of those characters have been confirmed.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FEW MIN LEFT

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By strainedeyes

3DS version releases in the Summer, WiiU version in the Winter. Seems like a strange move.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By sodapop7

FOR GLORY! Love the names for the modes.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strainedeyes: Yeah. That seems sort of odd to me. If they want to boost Wii U sales, shouldn't it be the other way around? Or at least a simultaneous release?

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm excited. Some pretty cool looking stuff.

sprode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GRENINJA.

Freaking Greninja.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHERE'S MY GAME AND WATCH SAKURAI?

Little Mac looks legit

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Sakurai is such a troll. I love it.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Morbid_Coffee
    No Caption Provided

You win Nintendo. I'm fucking sold.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was fantastic! While everyone can think of a few characters that they'd like more than the Pokemon, I can hardly complain because the rest of the Direct was rad. Pong assist trophy! Yellow Devil! Male Wii Fit Trainer, who is surprisingly rad! Also Sheik and Zero Suit Samus both getting move upgrades, and the sheer smile-inducing joy of that Megaman Final Smash.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515: They don't care about boosting Wii U sales. This is them subtly saying "We are going to support this machine, but our focus is the 3DS." It is what they have been doing for the last year, but this is that philosophy made manifest.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Custom move sets" is trending on Twitter, and I gather it is SSB related, can someone explain that to me? Did not watch the stream.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@morbid_coffee: This is the first time I've seen you post in a long while. Where've you been?

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@cmblasko: They didn't really get into it on the stream, just said it would be a thing. It looks like the properties and behaviors of special attacks can be modified somehow, with a couple examples showing Mario's fireballs at different sizes, with different bounces, or shooting more like a missile, or a different attack having a freezing effect.

He made sure to mention that this was only for local play (and possibly online with friends).

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That was the worst possible way to unveil Greninja. The entire time I was thinking Mewtwo and then NOPE. FFS Nintendo.

Whatever. The games both look great and I'll probably end up getting both because I'm the sucker Nintendo needs but doesn't deserve.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Alright, I'll accept Greninja as the 6th Gen pokemon representative. Now just give me Chrom and we'll be golden Nintendo.

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Chicken008

Wow, Greninja out of no where!

Game looks great!

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By afabs515

@ericsmith: I can definitely see that being true. IGN has also started saying that they're not sure whether the Wii U version will even be out this year. That could just be click bait, but still, the Wii U and everything surrounding it are very strange to say the least.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

What the fuck is Greninja?

*looks up Greninja*

What the fuck is Greninja?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

That was the worst possible way to unveil Greninja. The entire time I was thinking Mewtwo and then NOPE. FFS Nintendo.

Whatever. The games both look great and I'll probably end up getting both because I'm the sucker Nintendo needs but doesn't deserve.

Mewtwo? The game doesn't really need another first generation representative.

Sakurai is such a troll. I love it.

Sakurai loves to troll as much as we love to be trolled by him!

I'm happy to see that they're moving away from the transition characters. Being able to play as Zelda or Sheik or Zero Suit Samus exclusively is something I've wanted for the longest time.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@aegon: Dead on the inside until I saw all the Megamans.

Two hours and counting and I still have a huge grin on my face and might be shaking violently waiting for the game to come out right now. Seriously, the only way they can top that for me is if Nintendo comes out and says "also we're buying the Megaman IP and making more megamans."

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#40  Edited By TheMasterDS

I started yelping frantically when I got to the Kremlings. HOLY SHIT! I paused and bounced off to AIM to IM someone about it. "KREMLINGS!" "Yeah Right?" I then returned to playing it. Shortly after I yelped again. "BLUE KREMLINGS!"

Great direct, really informative. The kind of stuff we'd be finding out on a daily basis if there was a Dojo concentrated into a 40 minute segment.

I like all the changes they're making to the characters. They sound like the right balance tweaks. They've done a real smart thing in breaking up the transformers and also powering up them accordingly. Zero Suit sounds way better, as does both Zelda and Sheik. I hope they unbroke Sheik, she was terrible in Brawl. That means of course that Charizard is being made the single Gen 1 Starter rep which is cool by me. I really enjoyed Ivysaur but he'd be a weird inclusion on his own.

Speaking of weird inclusions Greninja is a weird one. He wasn't my starter that generation so I've never used him but hey, I like fast guys like Sheik provided they're not terrible. He's probably fun to play. Looks like it! His Special Up looks like a water version of Pikachu's Special Up. Neat. I also like what they've doing with all the other new characters, after explaining their playstyles they sound super smart. They're all very well designed for certain niches. Little Mac is all about his ground game, that Animal Crossing Tree could be great for hitting people trying to recover, that Luma is Parry the Parallel Bird and can used for some pretty crazy combos. Really cool stuff.

Speaking of really smart they know their audience now. Having a For Glory mode is super smart. Having Final Destination versions of every map is fucking genius. Jesus Christ I want to play that mode. I never played Brawl online because while I'm down for whatever map and whatever items I only like playing 1 vs 1. I only wish that there was a 1 vs 1 mode in For Fun.

Speaking of online that 3DS only mode is weird. At first I was ecstatic because it looks like Subspace Emissary only with drones from the franchises (and they chose Kremlings for the first foe shown :D Their first appearance in the 10s!) but the multiplayer aspect kind of bums me out. I want to play the first part but a 4 player match does not interest me at all. Oh well. At least Kremlings aren't forgotten. Maybe K. Rool has a shot at being playable. I was thinking Cranky would have the best shot in the current climate but maybe it's K. Rool after all.

With all the new characters announced, the ones returning as separate characters and the ones yet to come the cuts are going to be pretty deep seems like. Ness and Lucas have yet to return. Mewtwo is likely remain shitcanned. Ivysaur and Squirtle are gone for sure. Maybe Ice Climbers and ROB are gone? Is Jigglypuff finally off the roster? Snake has to be gone, right? With a statement on the books about the number of characters not rising significantly over Brawl we have to start accepting many of those are dead for sure. I just hope Ness and Lucas are back.

Quickly want to mention the characters confirmed nonplayable in this stream. Kamek, Waluigi, Skull Kid, Goroh, Dark Samus, Ridley. Dark Samus could've been a decent Metroid rep, it's good Waluigi is an AT, Skull Kid is a cool AT and I'm glad he's in, Goroh is as expected. Nothing about James Bond or any other N64 era rep they could get their hands on through some deal with Microsoft.

Here's to K. Rool, may he be in the game. I'll also accept Cranky Kong.

Edit: Quick catch by someone elsewhere, they noticed in the Jungle Japes stage Cranky was in the background as he was on the Gamecube. Perhaps another character confirmed non playable? Then again there was a Toon Link in a 3DS stage. Maybe it's coincidence.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Kind of not surprised at the last two pokemon character reveals. Mega Charizard X sort of became the poster Pokemon for Mega Evolution, and Greninja, though out of left field, makes sense with them making one of the current Gen Pokemon playable.

What I'm most surprised about is that Smash 4 has way more fighting game elements than previous games. Specifically, way more influence from anime games. Doll character? Check. Character that uses items that are on a set rotation this time so you can manipulate it easier? Check. All it needs is air dashes, though I guess those are covered with some of the Up+B moves. Anime!

Characters I don't see making a return: Ice Climbers, Ike, Snake, Lucas, Metaknight

Characters that are guaranteed to be included: Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, Wario, Mr. Game and Watch

Characters I want to see: Pushmo and Wind Waker Ganondorf. Hell, I can deal with Pushmo being an assist trophy but I really don't want Falcon clone Ganondorf anymore, and Wind Waker Ganondorf is hella cool and makes sense with Wind Waker HD being released.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of not surprised at the last two pokemon character reveals. Mega Charizard X sort of became the poster Pokemon for Mega Evolution, and Greninja, though out of left field, makes sense with them making one of the current Gen Pokemon playable.

What I'm most surprised about is that Smash 4 has way more fighting game elements than previous games. Specifically, way more influence from anime games. Doll character? Check. Character that uses items that are on a set rotation this time so you can manipulate it easier? Check. All it needs is air dashes, though I guess those are covered with some of the Up+B moves. Anime!

Characters I don't see making a return: Ice Climbers, Ike, Snake, Lucas, Metaknight

Characters that are guaranteed to be included: Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, Wario, Mr. Game and Watch

Characters I want to see: Pushmo and Wind Waker Ganondorf. Hell, I can deal with Pushmo being an assist trophy but I really don't want Falcon clone Ganondorf anymore, and Wind Waker Ganondorf is hella cool and makes sense with Wind Waker HD being released.

It looks to me from the custom moveset segment that the custom moves are just the same moves with the properties of other characters, at least for some cases. Mario's Up+B looked like Fox's, one of the Neutral+B variants looked like Megaman's buster. With that in mind, I think Kirby's Neutral+B was actually from Ice Climbers' move, so that lends to him being in.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sold with the "FOR FUN" label.

I did feel it went too long for my own personal interest, especially the whole guess who trophies segments.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By DinosaurCanada

If everywhere can be Final Destination, then where is the true Final Destination?

Those assist trophies are insaaane. You can summon Pong to fight for you.

Looking great so far. Between this, Bayo 2, and Wonderful 101, the Wii U's potential line up is looking really good.

EDIT: Oh yeah, those changes to Pit are sort of interesting. Because no one I know used Pit.

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished watching the Nintendo Direct and I have to say, it looks like they are putting a lot more work into making it a solid fighting game since... well, ever. Seems partnering with Namco Bandai is really paying off. I'll see you guys in friend code sharing threads a little later this year.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Greninja wears his tongue like a scarf lolol, fucking Pokemon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.