Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Chun Li's starting to get on my nerves.....

RenaissanceXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RenaissanceXD

Hey guys, 
    I've been playing a fair amount of this game and use around 7 characters in rotation but every time I play against a good Chun Li, I seem to hit a brick wall! I've tried all my characters and nothing gives so does anyone know a way around her? Do you usually pick a specific character when you see a good Chun Li character? 
    Thanks

Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Onigenko

Just rush that shit down. She doesn't have any good reversals except EX SBK, and that can be safe jumped. Her pokes are godlike, though, so try to get that untechable knockdown early on.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

I play Chunli most of the time, and I find it hard when someone plays an all out offense character like Bison. Like the above poster said, she doesn't have that many good reversals, so if you just go all out, it's usually a win. Or I can't deal with the pressure.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Stang

Chun is a whore. I have 3 beast Chun's I play with regularly, used in the right hands she is a fucking fortress. Good luck getting in on a good Chun, it is a lot easier said then done.

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

Taunt, it's my solution to everything. 

I lose a lot of games.

Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Earthborn
    @RenaissanceXD said:
    " Hey guys, I've been playing a fair amount of this game and use around 7 characters in rotation but every time I play against a good Chun Li, I seem to hit a brick wall! I've tried all my characters and nothing gives so does anyone know a way around her? Do you usually pick a specific character when you see a good Chun Li character? Thanks "
    I'd like to know which 7 characters, maybe we can give you some character specific help?
    Stefanten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stefanten

Be careful with jumping when you're at about half-screens distance, her standing fierce and roundhouse are excellent anti-airs.

RenaissanceXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RenaissanceXD
    @Earthborn: From main to last-> Ibuki, Cammy, Gouken, El Fuerte, Rufus, Makoto, Juri. 
    With Ibuki I can do alot of dif. target combos but most involve me either focusing (for extra time) or jumping in at chun-li which seems suicidal!!
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @TheLegendofLuke said:
    " Taunt, it's my solution to everything.            I lose a lot of games. "
    I respect that.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Fighting a good chun li is really a pain.  Her grab is fast, her straight jump HK is difficult to go against and her pokes give me so much rage.  And her Kikosho setup with EX lightning kick, damn that damage.  What I usually do is jump her if you're close and if you have projectiles, maintain a pretty far distance from Chun Li.  Her jumps are quick but it doesn't go that far.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By lordofultima
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    " Fighting a good chun li is really a pain.  Her grab is fast, her straight jump HK is difficult to go against and her pokes give me so much rage.  And her Kikosho setup with EX lightning kick, damn that damage.  What I usually do is jump her if you're close and if you have projectiles, maintain a pretty far distance from Chun Li.  Her jumps are quick but it doesn't go that far. "
    That ultra combo actually does relatively low damage.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @lordofultima said:
    " @lilbigsupermario said:
    " Fighting a good chun li is really a pain.  Her grab is fast, her straight jump HK is difficult to go against and her pokes give me so much rage.  And her Kikosho setup with EX lightning kick, damn that damage.  What I usually do is jump her if you're close and if you have projectiles, maintain a pretty far distance from Chun Li.  Her jumps are quick but it doesn't go that far. "
    That ultra combo actually does relatively low damage. "
    Really?  I though it deals a lot, but I guess it deals more damage to my momentum and morale lol!
    DasSmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DasSmiter

Fireballs and stay the fuck away from those legs

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Renahzor
    @RenaissanceXD said:
    " @Earthborn: From main to last-> Ibuki, Cammy, Gouken, El Fuerte, Rufus, Makoto, Juri. With Ibuki I can do alot of dif. target combos but most involve me either focusing (for extra time) or jumping in at chun-li which seems suicidal!! "
    Cammy specific: rush that bitch down hard.  

She has terrible reversals, EX SBK is the only thing remotely close to an escape for her.  If she has meter on a knockdown, dash in and bait the EX SBK out.  If he likes to jump, Cammy's SRK is pretty godly, and sets up a frame trapped hooligan combo.  A smart chun will sit and poke with you, her pokes are pretty amazing and can shut down your offense.  Remember that the high air dive kicks are now relatively safe, so you can really mixup someone sitting on /downback especially by stuffing pokes with divekicks (ex if necessary).  She'll try and poke your jumpins (bad idea, EX C.strike can dominte those pokes by messing up timing), or she'll revert to focusing your jumpings like online players love to do.  FA can be stuffed hard by a late j.mk or j.lk XX C.spike for a ton of damage.  This will discourage focus attempts later on and opens up your crossup game.

When you land any hooligan(or backthrow) Chun li is hosed without meter.  She HAS to EX SBK your jumpin.  If she has no meter or isnt EX SBK reversaling due to being punished, you need to land a fat combo or re-throw into the mixup.  Basically, jump toward her, and at the peak of the arc, dive kick.  A light/medium dive will end up in front, and a HK will land behind, the standard cammy mixup.  Chun is especially vulnerable to this because they will be STRONGLY inclined to poke at you on wakeup, or will miss the crossup block, which gets stuffed clean by a late HK TKCS, into your favorite combo(my high stun combo of choice is TKCS cr.fp, cr.mk XX HK SA (xx Super)).  Depending on the situation, you can go for a TKCS, blockstring, cancel into throw (or SA, FADCf into tricks) The best new thing with Cammy is HK SA puts you at ideal crossup distance, jump in with a crossup attempt, or fake it and dive kick back down in front, or hooligan.  landing a B&B crossup combo after that high stun combo will usually stun anyone, may need one more throw or jab, but they're damn close either way. 

If you get knocked down, buffer ultra 1, a lot of chun's like to meaty Fireball on wakeup, which = free full ultra from about half screen with cammy.  Just buffer the motion, tap the kicks when you see the fireball, she can't recover.  Learn the correct spacing though, far enough away and she'll be safe. 
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Flushes

In general, it's important to be disciplined with your blocking when Chun is close to you so you don't eat low short short xx EX legs, because that shit starts in three frames, is easy to confirm and she'll be looking for it. The only way I know how to approach that match is to work my ass off for a knockdown in footsies (hard), or capitalize on a stupid jump (only works if they're bad). Chun is basically a free lunch on wakeup without meter, and even if she has it, one whiffed EX bird kick will absolutely cost her the round if you're looking for it. I guess my strategy is to out-lame her until she fucks up, and then try to get in that ass and end the round as quickly as possible. @Stang said:

" Chun is a whore. I have 3 beast Chun's I play with regularly, used in the right hands she is a fucking fortress. Good luck getting in on a good Chun, it is a lot easier said then done. "  
    But, like he said, there are Chun players out there who will not fuck up in footsies in such a way that you can run a train on them. In that case, good goddamn luck.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm

I've had more success turtling and playing the poke game with a Chun Li than rushing her down. But, I play Guile so I can deliver a fireball game that makes her nervous.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By AniMoney

Chun vs. Balrog is soooooooo annoying man. Rog's worst matchup imo, worse than Sagat or Gief now. 

Her s.hp antiairs rog perfectly, and she can beat him air-to -air. She can just play lame and chuck plasma safely for most of the match. If you jump you get aa'd, if you ex dash punch she can throw or c.mp on reaction easilly. tap gets swept, headbutt is too slow. Eventually you'll close the gap a bit, and Balrog is a great footsie character, but Chun just beats him here. Her s.mp is too fast for rog to do much about, her sweep can be counterswept if you're looking for it, but she can just generally outpoke you and once she gets a knockdown switch sides and start the fireball game again. She has mad pressure on your wakeup with low shorts, counterhit setups, tick throws (gdlk throw range), crossup kick ruining your charge, and hazanshu is pretty safe if blocked too. If you knock her down you pretty much gotta guess if she'll ex sbk (bitch always has meter by the time you get her down if she's playing the matchup lame), or backdash, which is hard to punish unless you read it. It's not unwinnable but if feels like my toughest matchup for sure.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#18  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Mind you, I'm probably the worst SFIV player on this forum (and probably in the world), but usually just get in close and fast.  Blanka and Bison work well for me against her, but if you get in close and just hammer the piss out of her, usually they can't do anything to retaliate.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By demontium
    @AniMoney: Ah! So this is starfox!!!! I'm going to crush!
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm said:
    " I've had more success turtling and playing the poke game with a Chun Li than rushing her down. But, I play Guile so I can deliver a fireball game that makes her nervous. "
    Since you got experience in both characters that I can't figure out please answer this for me. 

How the hell do you beat this tactic? 

Light fireball then dash up right behind it and poke the fuck out of me, until i turn into a ball since FADC, jumping whatever the fuck I try I get out poked. This applies to Chun li, Guile and DeeJay. I just can't figure out what to do. I play Gief and Dudley. I know dudley has the duck move but they all still beat me out since they can throw me or out poke me when I get past teh fireball. 
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By gosukiller
    @demontium said:
    " @AniMoney: Ah! So this is starfox!!!! I'm going to crush! "
    CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:

" @Napalm said:

" I've had more success turtling and playing the poke game with a Chun Li than rushing her down. But, I play Guile so I can deliver a fireball game that makes her nervous. "
    Since you got experience in both characters that I can't figure out please answer this for me.  How the hell do you beat this tactic?  Light fireball then dash up right behind it and poke the fuck out of me, until i turn into a ball since FADC, jumping whatever the fuck I try I get out poked. This applies to Chun li, Guile and DeeJay. I just can't figure out what to do. I play Gief and Dudley. I know dudley has the duck move but they all still beat me out since they can throw me or out poke me when I get past teh fireball.  "
    If you're playing against Chun Li, you can jump in and go for a crossup/mixup, you can Focus-absorb and backdash, or you can FK Flash Kick. Though, be careful. You need to have specific timing for it to go through fireballs. 

Though, you shouldn't ever be in this situation unless you're trying to bait something. And this would also be a good time for a Sonic Hurricane, provided Chun Li is the start up frames of a move.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By demontium
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Necrotrophic

rush her down. if she has ex and is on the ground bait it with a backdash, not a jump because thats a really easy ultra setup for her, all she has to do is hit you with crouching forward lightkick on your way down.

something ive noticed people are doing against me is using focus attacks as i walk back which ends up keeping me in place. i actually really hate that.

from far away chun li is pretty great with her defense, she cant fireball spam with almost anyone but a neutral jump is often good enough. she has pretty good anti airs too.

up close she has almost no defense, and only really fast offense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.