Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Did GiantBomb forget this game during their GOTY talks?

• 56 results
    wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#1  Edited By wumbo3000

It wasn't even mentioned once.  And this got 5 stars and is one of my favorite games of the year.  WEIRD.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By copycatzen

It was out very early in the year so yes, I guess they did forget.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

They also did preliminary rounds for the games they had in mind before bringing it up into the Bombcast as well, I think.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By l4wd0g

It's also a 2009 game (for the most part).

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By copycatzen
    @l4wd0g said:
    "It's also a 2009 game (for the most part). "

But they didn't even mention it on  2010's 2009 game of the year, so they forgot about it.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob

I think they did forget but to be fair, I doubt it would have won anything. It is just SFIV again.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Milkman

What could it have possibly won?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Milkman said:
    " What could it have possibly won? "
    Multiplayer...or at least get a mention... 

@wumbo3000: Also why did you make this topic twice?
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By DanielJW

They didn't forget it.  

From Jeff Gerstmann's formspring:

No, we had a fat list of every single thing that came out in 2010, nothing was forgotten.    

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By ThePickle

I think Jeff was the only one who got into it. 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Milkman
    @Doctorchimp: Over Starcraft II? No way. Considering the game is simply an updated version of a game that came out last year, it's kind of hard to consider for any GOTY awards. 
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

Seeing as how Jeff is the only one that likes fighting games out of the bunch, and thats on a curve really since he appreciates it but doesn't play it regularly like Brad does with SC2 still, its no wonder nobody fought for SSF4 for GOTY. Even if I was on the staff, I probably wouldn't have fought for it much past getting honorable mention. I'm just glad the GOTY wasn't given to Black OPs or Reach since its just the same shit for thier respective games as well (jab @MysteriousBob: )

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Milkman said:
    " @Doctorchimp: Over Starcraft II? No way. Considering the game is simply an updated version of a game that came out last year, it's kind of hard to consider for any GOTY awards.  "
    Never said it had to win it, but it did have a shot...especially considering that Blops and Halo were the runner-ups.... 

It's also weirder that Starcraft 2 won it largely because of the whole Korean e-sports scene, while SSF4 definitely has something similar in the way regionals and tournaments are laid out yet Blops and Reach got the nominations over it. 

I don't really care what they do, but lets not get feign ignorance in saying Super Street Fighter 4 had no shot at the category.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Kazona

It wasn't forgotten, just wasn't better than any of the other games. 

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Icil

Duder, I was going to make the exact same topic. I don't remember hearing a single mention =(

I'm wondering if GB decided that price doesn't factor in their deliberations at all? $40 for this game is one of the finest deals (on disc) for 2010. If someone wants the most value and longevity out of 40 bones, this game is it.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By lordofultima

Price really shouldn't factor into how good a game is. 10 dollar games can be just as good or better than 60 dollar ones, doesn't really matter. Games is games!

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Icil said:
    " Duder, I was going to make the exact same topic. I don't remember hearing a single mention =( I'm wondering if GB decided that price doesn't factor in their deliberations at all? $40 for this game is one of the finest deals (on disc) for 2010. If someone wants the most value and longevity out of 40 bones, this game is it. "
    Why should price be a factor in GOTY deliberations? If a game is good, it's good regardless of the price. A lower priced game may hold more value to the consumer, but that doesn't mean a $40 game that's of the same quality as a $60 game is better just because it's priced lower.
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icil
    @spazmaster666: @lordofultima:  Okay, fair points. Maybe I'd rather have a 'best value' category next time. Is it a stretch to call it the best fighting game release this year?
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Skytylz

It came out last year, but that actually is probably why.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @StaticFalconar said:

"(jab  @MysteriousBob: ) "

... what does that mean? Are you implying I give a shit about Black Ops and Reach? Because I don't. 

I fucking love SSFIV and I think it does great things.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @MysteriousBob: I'm implying SSF4 is a whole new game over SF4 only if you are into that genre. I'm sure Reach and Black Ops had enough advancements and refinements to fans of FPS games to call it an entirely new product, but that may be lost to non FPS fans since it was all the same to them. 
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Skytylz said:
    " It came out last year, but that actually is probably why. "
    If you didn't play Street Fighter IV and then Super Street Fighter IV....you can just say that..instead of saying something wrong...
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Skytylz
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Skytylz said:
    " It came out last year, but that actually is probably why. "
    If you didn't play Street Fighter IV and then Super Street Fighter IV....you can just say that..instead of saying something wrong... "
    That's what I was implying.  Nearly any game couldn't get away with doing what Super did, but it got a positive reception.  I really believe it sets a bad precedent awarding this game anything.  
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @MysteriousBob: I'm implying SSF4 is a whole new game over SF4 only if you are into that genre. I'm sure Reach and Black Ops had enough advancements and refinements to fans of FPS games to call it an entirely new product, but that may be lost to non FPS fans since it was all the same to them.  "
    All the praise that SSFIV deserves was at least given to it in part to its GOTY last year.

And no, SSFIV is not a whole new game. Even Capcom acknowledges that. All I think the upgrade deserves for 2010 is a 'best competitive multiplayer' nomination for its refinements of the online. Again, I don't give a shit about Starcraft either.

I don't give a shit about those two FPS games. I haven't even played Black Ops. My favourite genre is fighting so don't tell me that you have to be an expert to believe that SSFIV is a whole new game. It isn't and its not supposed to be. Capcom are beyond their Alpha 1/2, NG/SI half-sequel days. I believe the GB crew dealt with SFIV last year and just see SSFIV as a continuation. So they forgot. I love SSFIV and I think it should have been acknowledged in the 2010 GOTYs. I'm just explaining why it probably wasn't.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Skytylz: You're not getting what I'm saying... 

You're wrong because you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The changes in Super were in fact significant and it couldn't be brought about with just an update...that's why it reviewed so well. 

And are you kidding me, super street fighter IV is the game that sets a bad precedent? People shit their pants for Black Ops multiplayer and eyebrows aren't raised at all.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @MysteriousBob: My thoughts exactly.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho

It got a passing mention in the "party with" talks, I think.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Skytylz
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Skytylz: You're not getting what I'm saying...  You're wrong because you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The changes in Super were in fact significant and it couldn't be brought about with just an update...that's why it reviewed so well.  And are you kidding me, super street fighter IV is the game that sets a bad precedent? People shit their pants for Black Ops multiplayer and eyebrows aren't raised at all. "
    I've played my fair share of both super and vanilla.  The changes from MW2 to Blops are more than the changes in Street Fighter.  Street fighters changes would be like Blops being released again next year with a few more maps and guns then change a few things about the existing guns.  
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper

To be fair I wouldn't give it a win for any of the categories and I've played the game at least 10x more than any other game this year.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Scooper said:
    " To be fair I wouldn't give it a win for any of the categories and I've played the game at least 10x more than any other game this year. "
    Neither would I, but I would at lest mention it.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I wish it was discussed, but it had no chance of winning (especially as an upgrade, rather than a proper new or sequel title).

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @MysteriousBob: I never said Expert, I just said fan. I can be a fan of fighting games and follow it enough to understand all the subtle differences, yet I wouldn't call myself an expert unless I can actually put those subtle differences to use in regular gameplay, hit links for days and all that jazz. Either read more carefully or simply don't try to put words in my mouth. Either way from both our previous posts we generally agree that SSF4 should have at best just gotten honorable mention of some kind, and lets just leave it at that. 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
    @lordofultima said:
    " Price really shouldn't factor into how good a game is. 10 dollar games can be just as good or better than 60 dollar ones, doesn't really matter. Games is games! "
    Fuck yeah.  I got BC2 for 6 bucks, that's 10 times cheaper than what it costs for console idiots!  Price doesn't matter, it's value!
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By gosukiller

They forgot it, but it wouldn't really have made top 3 for anything.

Objectively, to the outsider with no stake in Street Fighter, Super is little more than a Game of the Year edition of Vanilla. A stand-alone expansion at the most,

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Milkman said:
    " What could it have possibly won? "
    Without a shadow of a doubt, "Best Competitive Multiplayer"
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DystopiaX

The thing is, SSFIV is not that much of an improvement over SFIV unless you're hardcore into the mechanics/balance etc. It also doesn't have the same impact, SFIV being a "holy shit" kind of game due to the fact that it was the first good one in awhile, whereas this is an iteration of that. 

@Skytylz
    said:

" @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Skytylz: You're not getting what I'm saying...  You're wrong because you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The changes in Super were in fact significant and it couldn't be brought about with just an update...that's why it reviewed so well.  And are you kidding me, super street fighter IV is the game that sets a bad precedent? People shit their pants for Black Ops multiplayer and eyebrows aren't raised at all. "
    I've played my fair share of both super and vanilla.  The changes from MW2 to Blops are more than the changes in Street Fighter.  Street fighters changes would be like Blops being released again next year with a few more maps and guns then change a few things about the existing guns.   "
    And to be fair, as far as I remember Blops didn't win anything either, so that standpoint isn't really a legit arguing point since it's not like Blops was a winner either, no matter how iterative it was of MW2/CoD.
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " To be fair I wouldn't give it a win for any of the categories and I've played the game at least 10x more than any other game this year. "
    Neither would I, but I would at lest mention it. "
    I think that they mentioned it for the "party with" category, so at least they know it came out this year. I guess they thought it wasn't really deserving of anything.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Raymayne

No, it's a re-hash of a 2009 game, of course it doesn't deserve any awards. I guess throwing a couple of new characters and modes into a less than year old game and charging people money for it maybe deserves "Best rip-off of 2010" but of course it isn't anywhere near one of the best games of the year.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gaff

I literally went "Aww, no SSF4" for one second after listening to the podcast. And then went about doing my business.

And paraphrasing Ryan at the end of it all: "Congratulations to all the winners, you got accolades, from a website." In the long run, these awards don't mean a lot.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Greg liked it.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AndrewJD

If only they'd had a "Game that you love/hate/love/hate/love/hate" category. Would have been a real contender for that.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Plasma

Yeah Jeff was surprisingly tame when talking about fighting games.  

When that Brad was going on his rant about Starcraft being the only competitive game, only one with a meaningful league and all that. Said Starcraft was like a fighting game that lasts 20 minutes and they have 30 special moves. Jeff didn't even try and say, STFU Brad you moron, you cannot compare them like that, and don't try to make fighting games seem simple.  

Maybe before hand they had agreed that SSFIV wasn't different enough from SFIV to be considered. Or at least the other three had, so there was no point Jeff trying. 

EDIT: Maybe I have some bias, I hate competitive RTS, and Brad annoyed me with his stubborn hypocritical logic throughout the game of the year podcasts -_-

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AndrewJD
    @Plasma said:
    " Said Starcraft was like a fighting game that lasts 20 minutes and they have 30 special moves. Jeff didn't even try and say, STFU Brad you moron, you cannot compare them like that, and don't try to make fighting games seem simple.  
    I laughed when Brad said that and thought Jeff might pipe up as well. The only thing the two games have in common is that they have good competitive multiplayer.
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By leburgan

Its kind of an expansion pack to a game that came out last year.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @mubress said:

" @Plasma said:

" Said Starcraft was like a fighting game that lasts 20 minutes and they have 30 special moves. Jeff didn't even try and say, STFU Brad you moron, you cannot compare them like that, and don't try to make fighting games seem simple.  
    I laughed when Brad said that and thought Jeff might pipe up as well. The only thing the two games have in common is that they have good competitive multiplayer. "
    Just goes to show how little they know/think about fighting games.
    Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By Kill

If you re-watch the SSFIV Quick Look from way back and the recent live stream they did, none of them are really that good at the game. Even Jeff relied on tactics that a kid would use with Honda (hundred hand slap spam). I'm not saying they couldn't have skills with practice, but it was obvious none of them had really put that much time into the game. Even with Vinny buying that arcade stick and obsessing over square gate/octagonal gate modding, he was pretty bad at it.   

Maybe they realised that none of them are particularly skilled at Street Fighter and soured on it when the competitive scene got too fierce for beginners to excel through sheer luck. I remember them complaining about being unable to win online when SFIV was huge. Oh well.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Phished0ne
    @Kill:     They reguarly joked about how bad they were at it.  Jeff, Brad, and Vinny  all said when the vanilla came out the first thing they did was play online to try for the 10 wins in a row achievement before online was flooded with people who were actually good.   

I am torn on this, i never really played vanilla, so Super was easily number on on my GOTY list.  I can imagine the iterative quality of it taking away from it's chances in the awards, but to me it was easily GOTY, but thats obviously because i didnt own Vanilla. 

The only award i could've seen it having a chance of winning was competitive multiplayer,   but i think what it boils down to is this. The built in multi in Super or Vanilla is pretty gross,  the "skill matching" is mind boggling, no idea what it uses to match people.  The ranking system is bare bones. That is what would've tipped the scale to SC2 for me, and i don't even own SC2.  From what I've heard, the matchmaking is great, and the ranking/ladder system allows you to easily compete with people around your skill level.  They both have huge scenes around them with tournaments and professional level players, but the multiplayer that was built into SC2 is lightyears ahead. If Super had  Starcraft's ranking and ladder system it probably would've given SC2 a run for its money, because the main problem with Super is that the average person hits a level where they have trouble competing  with the players they get matched against online.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @mubress said:

" @Plasma said:

I laughed when Brad said that and thought Jeff might pipe up as well. The only thing the two games have in common is that they have good competitive multiplayer. "
    Just goes to show how little they know/think about fighting games. "
    I think Jeff cares, but I also think after GOTY part 2 he just wanted to wrap everything the fuck up. If the awards were given out in a different order, we would have heard different arguments I think.  Its almost like they intentionally overextended themselves just so there would be less energy to throw around.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kishan6
    @Icil said:
    " Duder, I was going to make the exact same topic. I don't remember hearing a single mention =( I'm wondering if GB decided that price doesn't factor in their deliberations at all? $40 for this game is one of the finest deals (on disc) for 2010. If someone wants the most value and longevity out of 40 bones, this game is it. "
    well the steam sale pretty much had every publisher pack be a better deal.  and the orange box will forever be the best deal in gaming lol. 
    maybe it should have gotten a mention but i cant really think of anything that it should have won
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By demontium
    @Milkman said:
    "What could it have possibly won? "

Yeah, seriously? 

I mean sure, it's one of my favorite personal games of the year, but its an upgrade from a game released in 2009. I guess if they had an award for like, best deal (since its 40 bucks), then maybe.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Phished0ne said:

" @Kill:     They reguarly joked about how bad they were at it.  Jeff, Brad, and Vinny  all said when the vanilla came out the first thing they did was play online to try for the 10 wins in a row achievement before online was flooded with people who were actually good. "

If they are playing the game to attain achievements, this is not their game. I guess they can enjoy it much more if they had more time to play it but with them, it's a bit challenging.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.