Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Ono keeps teasing DLC characters...now its Hugo

• 56 results
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

so Ono has said on a couple of interviews that the game is ready for DLC characters should they decide to go that route, and how Rolento and R.Mika almost made the cut for SSF4. Now he's talking about DLC possibilities again, shoots down Hagger but syas Hugo would be a priority:

"Technically, it's completely possible," he said. "If I hear many voices of people saying, 'come on, update the game in 2011, add a character or two', I could. But in that case I wouldn't put Haggar in, it would be Hugo!"

it seems more and more likely that SSF4 will have DLC characters, especially with the Arcade release coming in july or august only, possibly with new characters. So, would you buy DLC character packs?

original interview here: 
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/ono_super_street_fighter_iv_worth_full_price.html

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By napalm

Who the fuck wanted R. Mika? Who do I have to shank for suggesting such a stupid character?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

Where the F is Skullomania?

Does Capcom still have the rights to the SNK characters or has that partnership expired?

MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MVP1101

They should add Q, YIn, Yang , Alex and maybe a revamped Sean.  

Kumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kumo

There's still hope for Rolento! Woo!

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By KingBroly

I would think they'd add Hagar just so they could complete the Final Fight trio.  But what do I know?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai

This should add this guy that i really like oh and this guy. You know what just add everyone so everyone can stop.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mmmslash

I wish they would add Q.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By luce

Where the fuck is Elena? Inexcusable

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By myke_tuna
    @Napalm said:
    " Who the fuck wanted R. Mika? Who do I have to shank for suggesting such a stupid character? "
    Yoshinori Ono himself.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By lordofultima

I love R. Mika and especially Rolento, I think I want to marry Ono.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

EFF YEA
     EFF YEA
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By demontium
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lordofultima
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bicycleham

Garuda. Garuda. Garuda. Either that or Skullomania, or Doctrine Dark.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By demontium
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AniMoney

This game isn't even fucking out yet. 

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Scooper

Yeah if they release new characters for the arcade version then they'll likely have them as DLC in the console versions. They won't be paid DLC though because that would screw online. They would be free DLC.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Scooper said:
    " Yeah if they release new characters for the arcade version then they'll likely have them as DLC in the console versions. They won't be paid DLC though because that would screw online. They would be free DLC. "
    they SELL costumes and you think they would GIVE you characters, just because Ono once said there would be no DLC (on the original SF4) because it wouldnt be fair to people that didnt buy it? Keep dreaming :P
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Scooper
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " Yeah if they release new characters for the arcade version then they'll likely have them as DLC in the console versions. They won't be paid DLC though because that would screw online. They would be free DLC. "
    they SELL costumes and you think they would GIVE you characters, just because Ono once said there would be no DLC (on the original SF4) because it wouldnt be fair to people that didnt buy it? Keep dreaming :P "
    No. They'd have to release them for free and try and make money on selling their costumes. It would ruin online because you'd split the community between those that bought the characters and those that didn't. Considering the split between SFIV and SSFIV already I don't think it would be wise to split it even further.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho
    @Rmack said:

"

EFF YEA
     EFF YEA
    "
    Nice. Some awful fanart to make a poorly designed character even less appealing. I'll send this to Ono and maybe he'll reconsider. 
    Honestly if they want to make SF a high character volume game like Tekken they should just do a KOF '98 style game and include everyone. Then you have a very clear picture of who people want for SF5 and you can finally retire some of the old characters.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gambit
    @KimFidler said:
    " Where the F is Skullomania?  Does Capcom still have the rights to the SNK characters or has that partnership expired? "
    I doubt you'll be seeing skullomania in another street fighter. Capcom doesn't own the rights to the character. Also im pretty sure the capcom snk partnership ended with SVC Chaos.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @KimFidler said:
    " Where the F is Skullomania?  Does Capcom still have the rights to the SNK characters or has that partnership expired? "
    The rights to Skullomania (and all the other SF EX only characters such as Allen Snider and Garuda) belong to the EX series developer Arika.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Scooper said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " @Scooper said:
    they SELL costumes and you think they would GIVE you characters, just because Ono once said there would be no DLC (on the original SF4) because it wouldnt be fair to people that didnt buy it? Keep dreaming :P "
    No. They'd have to release them for free and try and make money on selling their costumes. It would ruin online because you'd split the community between those that bought the characters and those that didn't. Considering the split between SFIV and SSFIV already I don't think it would be wise to split it even further. "
    i would bet good money that any sort of DLC that includes new characters will NEVER be free. If there are new characters eventually, it will probably be in some sort of Turbo update or whatever they call it, and it will cost money.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lordofultima

There's no way new characters could cost money, it would split the user base and also make tournaments a hassle.

demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By demigonis

I wouldn't say there's no way. They could just patch it so that you can fight against the new characters in online but couldn't play as them unless you bought them. There's always a way around something like that, it wouldn't HAVE to be free.

Sure it would be cool if it was a free update, because free things are awesome. But realistically adding more characters to an amazing game that is already going for a discounted $39.99 price tag brand new... I think it's unlikely they would add free characters on top. And we already know we're getting a free tournament mode update.

PS: I think Rainbow Mika is awesome and hilarious, and Rolento is pretty cool too. Hugo is neat too, but I'm not sure if we really need more big dudes. If people really want him I don't have a problem with it though.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rhaknar
    @lordofultima said:
    " There's no way new characters could cost money, it would split the user base and also make tournaments a hassle. "
    i understand your (and scooper's) reasoning, but I'm going with the "Capcom is a business" reasoning, and in 8-12 months, or whenever such an update would come (if it comes), whoever still cared about SSF4 (aka the hardcore players) would buy it no questions asked
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60

Hugo is in the game, he can be seen in the background of one of the trailers. Just not playable.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " There's no way new characters could cost money, it would split the user base and also make tournaments a hassle. "
    i understand your (and scooper's) reasoning, but I'm going with the "Capcom is a business" reasoning, and in 8-12 months, or whenever such an update would come (if it comes), whoever still cared about SSF4 (aka the hardcore players) would buy it no questions asked "

I don't think so. I think that Super is the last in the SFIV series on consoles and they're going to support the game down the line with paid DLC and the possibility of free characters and stages.
    Heartbreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Heartbreak

Give me Q or give me death

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lordofultima
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    i understand your (and scooper's) reasoning, but I'm going with the "Capcom is a business" reasoning, and in 8-12 months, or whenever such an update would come (if it comes), whoever still cared about SSF4 (aka the hardcore players) would buy it no questions asked "
    Capcom knows Street Fighter is primarily still a dedicated OFFLINE fighting community. Can you imagine the chaos of people bringing their own consoles to offline tournaments (bring your own setup) and some consoles not having the character that you main on them because they didn't purchase the character DLC. No way, not gonna happen. 

I didn't mean split the user base so much online, as they could just force an online patch so they would see the new characters but not be able to use them...I meant split the user base offline. Lesser tournaments just banning the DLC characters simply because they're DLC and it's too much of a hassle to plan for, etc.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I have not been keeping up on my Street fighter fighters 

Can I get pics of these DLC guys?

demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By demigonis
    @lordofultima said:

Capcom knows Street Fighter is primarily still a dedicated OFFLINE fighting community. Can you imagine the chaos of people bringing their own consoles to offline tournaments (bring your own setup) and some consoles not having the character that you main on them because they didn't purchase the character DLC. No way, not gonna happen.  I didn't mean split the user base so much online, as they could just force an online patch so they would see the new characters but not be able to use them...I meant split the user base offline. Lesser tournaments just banning the DLC characters simply because they're DLC and it's too much of a hassle to plan for, etc. "

I find it a little difficult to believe that people interested in Super Street Fighter IV enough to play in Tournaments and bring their consoles to other locations to be used in Tournament play will be against spending a couple of dollars for new characters. You believe the hassle isn't the fact that they'd have to download the characters for offline play regardless of if they're free or not... but that it's the fact that people might have to pay a couple bucks for them? A couple bucks is going to split the offline community of hardcore players?

Somehow I don't think so.

Edit: Who knows, I guess crazier shit has happened. Time will tell.
    demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By demigonis
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" I have not been keeping up on my Street fighter fighters   Can I get pics of these DLC guys? "

At the moment this is all rumor and speculation, based on quotes here and there from Yoshinori Ono, Capcom's producer on Street Fighter. However, if you want to see their appearances from other games you can see them here:  Rolento   R. Mika     Hugo Andore
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chrissedoff

i'd buy elena.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Demigonis said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" I have not been keeping up on my Street fighter fighters   Can I get pics of these DLC guys? "

At the moment this is all rumor and speculation, based on quotes here and there from Yoshinori Ono, Capcom's producer on Street Fighter. However, if you want to see their appearances from other games you can see them here:  Rolento   R. Mika     Hugo Andore "
    So a military man a mach man and a pair of boobs with a women attached?
    demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By demigonis
    @The_Laughing_Man:  The characters can be a tad deeper than that, but on a basic level... sort of. 

I particularly like R. Mika because I find her very funny. She's a female professional wrestler in training who is a huge fan of Zangief and seeks him out for training. She has comedic moves such as a butt-bump and some of her moves cause a wrestling ring to spontaneously appear at the side of the screen so that she can leap onto the turn-buckle and spring-board onto her opponent in over-the-top fun moves.

Rolento was a boss in Final Fight 1 & 2, and was known for having a military past and some sort of special forces training. He has an interesting fighting style with a baton and has had some really cool animations in the past.

Hugo is indeed a huge dude, also from Final Fight. He's based somewhat on Andre the Giant.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Demigonis said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  The characters can be a tad deeper than that, but on a basic level... sort of.   I particularly like R. Mika because I find her very funny. She's a female professional wrestler in training who is a huge fan of Zangief and seeks him out for training. She has comedic moves such as a butt-bump and some of her moves cause a wrestling ring to spontaneously appear at the side of the screen so that she can leap onto the turn-buckle and spring-board onto her opponent in over-the-top fun moves.  Rolento was a boss in Final Fight 1 & 2, and was known for having a military past and some sort of special forces training. He has an interesting fighting style with a baton and has had some really cool animations in the past.  Hugo is indeed a huge dude, also from Final Fight. He's based somewhat on Andre the Giant. "
    I was just being stupid. Hehe 
     I remember playing them now.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK. I want Skullomania, make it happen  
    Also Q is pretty cool, but yo, Skullo is where it's really at 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yep. Since we already have all the fan-favorites, there is no way for the SSFIV roster to go but into obscure niche characters. Rolento looks cool enough, as does Hugo. R. Mika just looks... ugh. No thank you. 

Really, I'm not against the idea of DLC characters, but the chances of this ever coming to fruition is questionable at best. The game isn't even out yet.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lordofultima
    @Demigonis said:
    " @lordofultima said:

Capcom knows Street Fighter is primarily still a dedicated OFFLINE fighting community. Can you imagine the chaos of people bringing their own consoles to offline tournaments (bring your own setup) and some consoles not having the character that you main on them because they didn't purchase the character DLC. No way, not gonna happen.  I didn't mean split the user base so much online, as they could just force an online patch so they would see the new characters but not be able to use them...I meant split the user base offline. Lesser tournaments just banning the DLC characters simply because they're DLC and it's too much of a hassle to plan for, etc. "

I find it a little difficult to believe that people interested in Super Street Fighter IV enough to play in Tournaments and bring their consoles to other locations to be used in Tournament play will be against spending a couple of dollars for new characters. You believe the hassle isn't the fact that they'd have to download the characters for offline play regardless of if they're free or not... but that it's the fact that people might have to pay a couple bucks for them? A couple bucks is going to split the offline community of hardcore players?  Somehow I don't think so.  Edit: Who knows, I guess crazier shit has happened. Time will tell. "
    Since a lot of players don't even go online, and have an Xbox or Playstation solely for Street Fighter, I'd say there's a pretty good chance. In Street Fighter IV, people would show up with consoles that don't even have some characters unlocked. All of that is on the game disc and free, so I can imagine this being even more troublesome.
    Ratfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Ratfoot

Oro or nothing else.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By MysteriousBob

Akira need to get Volcano Rosso in SSFIV.

s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By s0mah

Why is there always so much EX love?

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AniMoney
    @s0mah said:
    " Why is there always so much EX love? "
    I never really played the EX games but they did have interesting characters.
    Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ulong

Karin from alpha series added into this game and I'd have all 3 of my old mains in the game. I'd pay for the dlc aslong as it wasn't some crazy outrageous price.

Heck I probably would pay outrageous prices if she was still allowed access to V-ism's.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @s0mah said:
    " Why is there always so much EX love? "
    Because EX was awesome? Just a thought.
    Nophex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nophex
    @MVP1101 said:
    " They should add Q, YIn, Yang , Alex and maybe a revamped Sean.   "
    I second this..
    stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By stafax

Anyone who is excited for R. Mika only likes her for ONE REASON and that's because they think she's hot. If they claim otherwise, they are f'ing liars. R. Mika is a crappy character with horrendous moves. There is no person in the universe who says "yeah, this R. Mika is a beast, she totally kicks booty". No, that's not how it works in this reality, she sucks and you all need to admit it.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rhaknar
    @stafax said:
    " Anyone who is excited for R. Mika only likes her for ONE REASON and that's because they think she's hot. If they claim otherwise, they are f'ing liars. R. Mika is a crappy character with horrendous moves. There is no person in the universe who says "yeah, this R. Mika is a beast, she totally kicks booty". No, that's not how it works in this reality, she sucks and you all need to admit it. "
    people always said the same about T.Hawk but i always liked the character (long before the beast he is now in Super apparently), so I'm sure there are some genuine R.Mika fans. 

That being said, I never did, and I like grapplers >_>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.