Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

What is the 'official' button layout considered to be?

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Jaktajj

Just got a stick today - it's got eight buttons, I'm trying to train myself to only use six (and keep the other two as taunts)  - is that what most do? I was wondering what the official, generally accepted button layout is for most people? I am not too familiar with arcade versions of Street Fighter so don't have any point of reference!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

6 Buttons, punches on top, weak - medium - strong.  

EDIT: Default layout, basically.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jaktajj

Sweet! Thank ya! :)

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jaycee13

I recommend using one of the ends as focus and one as taunt just so you can focus cancel into taunt and look awesome.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CptPanda29

Just Options > Config > Set it to the first Arcade Stick layout, that's considered default. 

To spell it out though top three are punches, weakest to strongest left to right - same again for kicks.  
    Also to taunt you just press both Strong / Hard / Fierce buttons, not all of them.

Mine just has 6 face buttons but two marked at LB / RB at the top for some menus and the like.

zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zolloz89

ive got 6 buttons as well, the other triggers are placed on the side of the case, so they are out of the way.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By copycatzen

All buttons must have Hard Punch for SHORYUKEN!!!! 
    why would you do something else?
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By lordofultima

You're welcome to use the 3P or 3K button, but for the love of god don't map any button to focus or throw. Those are controversial mappings for one, as well as completely unnecessary. I recommend just the normal attacks.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By yates
    @lordofultima said:
    " You're welcome to use the 3P or 3K button, but for the love of god don't map any button to focus or throw. Those are controversial mappings for one, as well as completely unnecessary. I recommend just the normal attacks. "
    I never understood mapping separate buttons for focus and throw. What's so difficult about pressing two buttons at the same time?
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @yates said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " You're welcome to use the 3P or 3K button, but for the love of god don't map any button to focus or throw. Those are controversial mappings for one, as well as completely unnecessary. I recommend just the normal attacks. "
    I never understood mapping separate buttons for focus and throw. What's so difficult about pressing two buttons at the same time? "
    In the narrow-ass time window you have for FADC, pretty fucking difficult yeah imo. My hands don't move that fucking fast. 

As for throws *shrug* should have remained one button imo anyway.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By sfighter21
    @yates said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    I never understood mapping separate buttons for focus and throw. What's so difficult about pressing two buttons at the same time? "
    Yeah.  I can srk FADC to Taunt easily without mapping them to separate buttons, lol.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JokerSmilez
    "Default" is:

(LP) - (MP) - (HP) - (LP+MP+HP)
    (LK) - (MK) - (HK) - (LK+MK+HK)

For a throw, LP+LK
    For a focus, MP+MK
    For a taunt, HP+HK

Use the far right buttons for activating ultras or EX moves. Some people are more comfortable doing EX's with 2 regular buttons, some mix it up, some activate Ultras the ol' fashioned way, depending on how familiar they are with typical arcades.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lordofultima
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @yates said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    In the narrow-ass time window you have for FADC, pretty fucking difficult yeah imo. My hands don't move that fucking fast.  As for throws *shrug* should have remained one button imo anyway. "
    It takes no more time to hit two buttons then it does one, especially considering you're hitting them simultaneously. As for one button throws, that's the reason I can't play SFII/Alpha. Makes no sense.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @lordofultima:  Well, coordination then? 

Whatever the fuck, basically, I can't do FADCs and it makes me rage. 

I <3 one button throws but, 2 are just as good. It's just having to press middle kick + middle punch in the middle of doing other shit that throws me off. I just need a fuckton more practice.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lordofultima
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @lordofultima:  Well, coordination then?  Whatever the fuck, basically, I can't do FADCs and it makes me rage.  I <3 one button throws but, 2 are just as good. It's just having to press middle kick + middle punch in the middle of doing other shit that throws me off. I just need a fuckton more practice. "
    Yeah no biggie, I see where you're coming from.
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Vade

Is it even allowed in tournament play to map combinations on a stick? I know it's banned in some games, wondering how it's in SF.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.