Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales from the Borderlands

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 25, 2014

A spin-off of the Borderlands series of first-person shooters, Tales from the Borderlands is an episodic adventure game where a reluctant group of civilians try to strike it rich in the hostile world of Pandora.

So the first episode is pretty fantastic

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I've never been fully into the whole world of Borderlands, though I do enjoy the games the humor just never really hit me that hard. However, I love telltale and have all their shit even Bone, so I got it. Honestly, I found myself laughing constantly and wanting to get to know all the characters.

Anyone else gotten around to this? Can't wait for episode 2.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I just finished the episode last night and loved it. I think it's the funniest Telltale game to date. I do sort of feel bad for letting Felix die, but that "Choke on it" option felt good. Haven't used my bullet yet, so I can't wait how that plays out in later episodes.

Do the driving masks have any effect other than its looks? I bought the most expensive one not knowing what money could be used for yet. That whole money mechanic seems underutilized so far.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@audiobusting: I knew I only had 10 bucks so I didn't spend it on the masks, but I totally used my bullet on Fenix forgetting that he would blow up. Mistakes were made and that's exactly the way I like to play Telltale games.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I picked it up since I had some money left over from a giftcard. 5 bucks ain't much. I enjoy the art and the main guy character but, so far, the jokes have fallen flat for me and it still has the Telltale kind of buggy quality. I get a lot of hitching up and it has crashed 2 times on me. I'll continue playing though... the art is enough to carry it for me; I really like how it all looks.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By cbk486

@handlas:

I'm sorry that you had all those bugs (PC version)? I played it today and it ran flawlessly on my machine, and so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By sammo21

@lackluster: I used that as a moment of "player knowledge ≠ character knowledge". Did she know there was a bomb in it or was that only the other two characters? I couldn't remember, so I acted like she didn't know.

I have to agree that this game was fantastic. I was ready for it to be terrible to OK, but it was superb. I will be getting every episode now. The story in this is 500x better than anything in any other Borderlands game.

I do feel Tell Tale has a massive problem with what seems like lazy coding (and an extremely dated engine) but I felt the humor was better than anything we've gotten from Borderlands before.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait....this game isn't terrible?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: My guess is that the money will play a bigger part in later episodes, likely locking you out of choices depending on how much you've spent or found. Granted it could just be something as simple as an extra gag, but I doubt buying that mask was the extent of it.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sammo21 said:

I have to agree that this game was fantastic. I was ready for it to be terrible to OK, but it was superb. I will be getting every episode now. The story in this is 500x better than anything in any other Borderlands game.

I do feel Tell Tale has a massive problem with what seems like lazy coding (and an extremely dated engine) but I felt the humor was better than anything we've gotten from Borderlands before.

Borderlands has always been a podcast game for me, Gearbox really makes some garbage choices when it comes to characters and humour. It's super encouraging to hear Telltale might have made a story worth half a damn.

I'm always a little amused when people mention all the bugs they encounter in Telltale games. I know people have had tons of problems, but I've played three different Telltale games on a different platform each time and have never had a problem. Luck of the draw. Maybe Tales From the Borderlands will be the one that finally breaks for me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enemylandlord: I've never encountered any game breaking bugs (and I've played a good majority of the stuff they've released), but there games are always a bit on the janky side.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enemylandlord: I never get anything super janky, but there are small jerks here and there where you can tell you're coming across the seams of the game where choices come into play.

Question, so is it even possible to be able to get the other two masks? I never saw an opportunity to get more than my starting $10.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

@sammo21: You can take 100 from the dude getting stabbed at the beginning and you can get another 150 or so behind a poster and a loot crate just before climbing into the vent with Fiona. It's the usual rule of thumb with adventure games: check everything.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Well hell, I might have to go through again. Still not self destructing Loader Bot though. I'm gonna name my firstborn after that guy.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@zeik: The $100 I took from the stabbed guy didn't even carry over to after the short time jump, don't know if it's a bug or intentional. I hope the money doesn't carry over to episode 2 because spending all my money on those cool skeleton masks might bite me in the ass later.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbk486 said:

@handlas:

I'm sorry that you had all those bugs (PC version)? I played it today and it ran flawlessly on my machine, and so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Xbox One for me.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

What a fantastic episode.

The beginning was a bit slow, but it got miles better as it moved on. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that this was the best of all first episodes from Telltale. The Humor is sharp (sunset Overdrive could take some notes), the characters are diverse, the dialogue awesome, the voice acting is perfect, the storytelling is fan-fucking-tastic, and this has to be the most action oriented telltale episodes yet.

I honestly thought that playing as two characters may have been a bad choice, but the two perspectives are so perfectly and smoothly blended that I almost forgot that I was the one playing the game. It honestly felt like watching a movie, something which the other games haven't managed to do.

I think I'll wait for the full package, considering that a game with such an amazing flow and story progression doesn't deserve to be played so sporadically.

turner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just finished it... my god, that was awesome!!

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I got this game after I finished Game Of Thrones.

Didn't think I'd like it very much... I was wrong

It's easily the best paced Telltale game to date and also incredibly funny. Also every single voice actor is on top form, something I felt was lacking in GoT, also I think it depicts the Borderlands universe in a way that I feel Jeff and others hoped they would in the 2nd game. They ditch the memes and as a result the writing is incredibly sharp. The satire of Teltales own games is also something I enjoyed a great deal as it is quite subtle but effective... for example when I slapped that crazy guy after the jump scare and it went 'his face will remember that' in the top left corner of my screen I lost my shit.

It's amazing

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DoctorTran

After finishing this, and maybe getting two chapters into GoT, I have come to the conclusion that TTG really needs to make a new engine, or something. My biggest beef is the lip syncing. It looks almost as bad as something from 2000.

That said, the story to this game (thus far) in particular was pretty damned awesome.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man what a turnaround seemed like this was gonna be a commercial and critical failure, people seem to be really warming up to it.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By LackingSaint

I am INCREDIBLY impressed with this episode. For clarification: I love The Walking Dead Comics. I love Fables. I love the Game of Thrones TV Show. I straight-up dislike Borderlands as a property, especially in terms of story and characters.

This was far and away my favourite opening episode of any TellTale series. It's so refreshing to see them just try hard to construct a compelling narrative rather than desperately try to force "hard choices" and "feels" at you in lieu of clever narrative twists. Awesome, awesome job, TellTale!

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this really was the best thing Telltale has ever made and its also the best Borderlands game. Its lighthearted while still being involving. It would be cool to see Telltale do other stuff like this, like in the Firefly universe. One can only hope that they can do a side story of crime on Citadel from Mass Effect.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By newmoneytrash

Yeah this is probably the most enjoyable episode of a Telltale game that I've ever played. It was just a bunch of fun from beginning to end.

I was never going to play this because after Borderlands 2 I was kind of done with that game's story, but enough positive talk about this game (and the fact that it was discounted on Xbox Live) got me to check it out and I am super, super glad that I did.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Finally played this. It was fucking great. Shot Felix that fucker.

I think the combination of setting and two main characters is really freeing for this sort of game to fuck around with choices. My only concern is that they won't be able to maintain the high bar they've set for themselves out of the gate. Rgh I need more!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Just finished now, right in time for Episode 2 :D

So far, it's pretty great, up there with some of Telltale's best. I'm glad Telltale are back to doing comedy; there were some genuinely hilarious moments. This actually makes me want to play Pre-Sequel now.

My choices:

No Caption Provided

I hope this game isn't just leading up to Borderlands 3 though...

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving it. A TellTale game where I don't feel guilty about being a dick.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Turns out the second episode is not as good... Still a good time though. It's much shorter, isn't as funny and has a lot less of the big action moments, although the ones that are there are pretty good. The final scene was pretty tense, but the way it just cut to the credits transitioned really weirdly.

Wildo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just grabbed this a week or so ago on XB1 since it was free and I was feeling like an adventure game, and I was impressed.

Dug Borderlands 1 & 2 enough I guess, thought they were fun with friends but pretty shallow overall. But really digging this one.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I don't want to seem like I'm shilling for Gearbox or Telltale, but the game is $3.75 on PSn right now. I don't know if that's a glitch or intentional, but you might want to grab it while it's that cheap. No idea how long the sale will last.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I got the game on psn last week and played through the entire thing in a day over the course of two sittings. Second episode is a bit weak but after that it picks up and just gets better. Best telltale game I've played so far.

The late title cards and opening music stingers are put to amazing use and get better with each episode. I kind of wish these main 4 characters were who you played as in the prequel. I am not a fan of borderlands humour at all but telltale nailed this.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: yes! Everyone should do this NOW. This is the best thing telltale have done. Best writing, best action sequences, best title cards, best jokes, best pacing, best characters, surptingly good though not best feels

And I didnt really like anything about the borderlands lore and humour prior to this game. Even Handsome Jack becomes a good flushed out character. Loaderbot for character of the year! It's one of best buddy movies you'll ever play

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished the whole thing just this week, the game is fantastic! The best TT game so far I would say, the humour is good, the characters are good and real moments that hit you in the feels (Ep 4 ;_; ). Definitely a top10 game for me this year.

Loaderbot is the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.