Best Melee weapon

#1 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

So I really got into the medieval cp gamemode on Degroot Keep tonight and found myself doing pretty well with the Demoman and eyelander/shield combination. However, I'd nearly always lose in a fight against the pyro and his rake/hammer. Even if I got way more hits in. Sometimes he'd one hit me and knock my head straight off but the lack of critical hits on the eyelander kept me from ever doing the same (minus the occasionally successful charge).

My question is, is there something that's considered to be the best close range melee weapon for that mode? Or are they all balanced enough to be comparable and just down to personal preference?

#2 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

Hmm, I wonder if I was one of the pyros that killed you...

#3 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

The half-zatochi (spell-check needed) ain't half bad, because it gives full health. The drawback is that you can't change it, but since it's the only weapon you carry anyway it's not a problem.  

The Pyro's jackhammer is good, same with the rake as you mention. KGB  (Killing Gloves of Boxing) for the Heavy has great potential, but it might be tough to be a Heavy if the other team has a lot of Snipers wielding the Huntsman. Scout is kinda left out, he doesn't have the best  meleeweapons, does less damage per hit but swings the meleeweapon faster than any other class.

Meleeweapons don't really have balance, since they have stats on so many strategic and playstyle levels. The Equalizer for the Soldier is my all time favourite, even though I don't play that much Soldier. It also depends on the class. 

#4 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Even though the Homewrecker (sledgehammer) looks cool, it actually does less damage than default fire axe.

#5 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

Um... Butterfly knife? You know, instant kill?

#6 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

Boxing Gloves

#7 Posted by YI_Orange (1172 posts) -

The fish. Might not be the "best", but it's definitely the best.

#8 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 Homewrecker is terribad. How often do you need to destroy a zapper as a Pyro anyway? 

@valrog
: Knifes demands a backstab. Hard to pull off on a map that doesn't treat the spies so well.

@Mikemcn: Wich gloves? KGB or GRU?
#9 Edited by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

Jarate + Bushwacka  

Scotsman's Skullcutter has great range.

#10 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

The Persian Persuader with the Charge-n-Targe or Splendid Screen are great for meleeing. Your Eternal Reward is my personal favourite in terms of kool-points.

#11 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

For Degroot I find the KGB is hands down the best.

#12 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

I like using the Warrior's Spirit with Steak Sandwich combo.  It one hit kills a lot of the time and your fast enough to dodge a majority of classes. 

The KGB is a close second though.

#13 Posted by Ub3rSlug (150 posts) -

If you're crazy like I am, the Ullapool Caber (TF2 Wiki Link) is a nice choice, but not if you're only up against other melee weapons. Even though I often kill myself with it, it's a fun weapon to use that packs a powerful punch!

#14 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

@HellBrendy: KGB Kill one dude, then crit 5 more! Its great!

#15 Edited by Vitor (2832 posts) -

@IncredibleBulk92 said:

I like using the Warrior's Spirit with Steak Sandwich combo. It one hit kills a lot of the time and your fast enough to dodge a majority of classes. The KGB is a close second though.

Ugh, I HATE those. Kept getting worked by someone wielding them last night. Kept one shotting me and the 2/3 hits I could get off were never enough.

@dbz1995 said:

The Persian Persuader with the Charge-n-Targe or Splendid Screen are great for meleeing. Your Eternal Reward is my personal favourite in terms of kool-points.

Desperately looking for those right now - that and Ali baba's wee booties to make the full set. Was getting demolished by a guy wielding all of those the other day. Seems like even with 4 heads collected, the eyelander just can't match it.@Vito_Raliffe said:

Hmm, I wonder if I was one of the pyros that killed you...

Were you playing on an East Asian server? Studying in Japan right now so was using those although my ping was still higher than I would have liked (around 130). This was from around 12-2am last night Tokyo time. It's more than possible if so...

#16 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Scout: Candy Cane
Soldier: Half-Zatoichi
Pyro: Back Scratcher
Demoman: Eyelander/Persian Persuader
Heavy: KGB
Sniper: Huntsman, fuck melee just bring a Kukri
Medic: Crusader's Crossbow/Solemn Vow
Spy: A fucking knife

#17 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Spy: A fucking knife

Ain't that the truth

#18 Posted by Flushes (329 posts) -

In general, I think the medic has the most practical melee weapons due to the high crit chance on bonesaws. A cornered medic with a bonesaw is more likely to dust you in one shot than any other class in the same situation.

#19 Posted by BombKareshi (979 posts) -

I don't know whether this still applies, but people used to single out the Engineer's wrench as the single most likely-to-crit weapon of all.

Of course, Engineers are not much use in DeGroot Keep. But then, Medieval Mode is hardly Team Fortress at all, if you ask me.

#20 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

I like the Half-Zatoichi, especially on medieval since then it doesn't matter that you can't switch to another weapon.

Also, full health on kill is always good to have.

#21 Posted by theguy (797 posts) -

Butterfly knife, work on sidestabs and you'll own on that map.

#22 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@BombKareshi said:
But then, Medieval Mode is hardly Team Fortress at all, if you ask me.
I agree, I like to think of it as a little break between other the maps were you can let off some steam, kinda like pistol only rounds with friends in COD.
#23 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

@HellBrendy said:

The half-zatochi (spell-check needed) ain't half bad, because it gives full health. The drawback is that you can't change it, but since it's the only weapon you carry anyway it's not a problem.

I'm going to vote for the above. For the reasons above. That weapon is not balanced for melee-only gameplay.

#24 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3084 posts) -

I like the Scotsman's Skullcutter quite a bit. Single-handedly defended a control point with it the other day and managed to rack up 10 kills before dying!
#25 Posted by ajamafalous (12145 posts) -

Scout: Don't be ridiculous 
Soldier: Half-Zatoichi 
Pyro: Back Scratcher 
Demo: Half-Zatoichi 
Heavy: Buffalo Steak + KGB 
Engineer: Gunslinger 
Medic: Amputator for the heal. You're a Medic. 
Sniper: Huntsman 
Spy: Knife 

There are only a few acceptable variations.

#26 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

@HellBrendy said:

@FrankCanada97: Homewrecker is terribad. How often do you need to destroy a zapper as a Pyro anyway?

I've done it a whole bunch of times...

Pyro is great support for Engy, especially if the engineer has just been backstabbed and the buildings sapped.

#27 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

@project343 said:

@HellBrendy said:

I'm going to vote for the above. For the reasons above. That weapon is not balanced for melee-only gameplay.

Unless you come across someone else wielding another half-zatoichi

#28 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

Similarl to the Half-Zatoichi, the Persian Persuader is also good for its ability to get health back and is also nice for the charge regeneration bonus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.