Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Why is this game so popular?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

It's not very fun, just random rockets and things flying everywhere, and people with medics tagging behind them.  I feel pretty useless as a lone soldier with all the teamwork mechanics.   Also, I hate how the medic class works; it's like a job having to heal people, and then it's no longer a shooting game, or a game at all.  I prefer games where teamwork means covering eachother and being faster than the other guys, but in this game teamwork is a button press.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Don't play medic, learn to teamplay. Or go play something else and don't worry about what others enjoy.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Ineedaname

The game's fun because...well it's fun, do some achievements unlock some of the weapons, once you've established there's no team play it'll become fun, going a spy and using Cloak and dagger sneaking all the way into the base is sheer fun, then spiriting back out the way where the least turrets are, or taking a gamble and sapping them, but risking being caught, my favourite thing to do, is on 2fort, start as a scout, then sprint across the top roof, down the spiral and out, nearly always works =D

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

This game is amazing. All the classes are very balanced and a total different experience from each of the others

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Absurd

It's a good Class based game, but I don't particularly enjoy class-based shooters much. I'll stick to my CS, although I do jump into TF2 once in awhile when I need a break.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93

Oh, TF2 requires a lot of teamwork, you clearly didn't play very much of it, or atleast not the right game modes. And if you don't like the Medic, don't play him. I find playing a Medic extremely fun, but not all classes are for all people. Find a different class. I hate scouts and demoman, but that doesn't make them stupid, there in the game for a reason and they serve a meaningful purpose, but I ain't gonna be playing 'em.

And I will agree, the game can be ridiculously chaotic at times but that's what makes it fun. It's hardly anywhere as realistic (because it clearly isn't trying to be) as Call of Duty, Halo, or Counterstrike.

It's dumb fun. How can you expect a game with a giant overweight slow man shouting "Medic!" at the top of his lungs meanwhile holding a giant minigun and firing 5 rounds a minute at some extremely quick man holding a baseball bat being healed by a guy in a med coat and glasses via a ghostbusters-like stream who then gets killed by somebody who managed to jump 30 feet into the air because they shot the ground with a rocket to be anything but dumb fun? If you're going into expecting a insanely realistic and serious game... you aren't gonna like it.  Try it out again, completely forgetting about any or realistic shooter you've ever played and treat it like it's in a whole 'nother dimension... because it really is. Or you could try out the Mario Kart map, eh.

Fun game. I love it. Probably the best online game ever made, blows CS out of the water, but that's just me.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By whyzenheimer

As someone who plays TF2 purely with a group of local friends, and religiously plays medic, I personally disagree with your stance on the game.

With good tactics, team build, and communication the game completely changes.  As a medic you will be killed repeatedly by the pyro, sniper, demo, and more often than any other the spy.  But, when surrounded by a group who knows how to spy-check and keep the demo men at bay around corners, and know where pyros ambush, you will more often than not pull off an uber that will win/advance the game.

I do like to jump on randomly into servers as different classes from time to time, and while it is chaotic, it's quite a rush.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By tekmojo

Cause Valve makes fun games. Next year Team Fortress 3 comes out. (I kid)

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gruff182

Because Xbox users can't play BF2

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r
    oO
    It's pretty damn popular on PC too...
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Plasma

I played it for quite a bit, its more about fun than skill based, like in CSS.

Its not ment to show whos best, as winning is very luck based, its the battle inbetween which matters. In my opinion anyway.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Termite

If you're having problems doing well as a medic-less soldier in TF2, then that's your problem. The soldier can do just fine alone, much more so than the heavy can. As for the teamwork, it's essential. If the other team knows what they're doing unless you have a giant individual skill advantage or better tactics, they are going to dominate you.

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mementomori
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " It's not very fun, just random rockets and things flying everywhere, and people with medics tagging behind them.  I feel pretty useless as a lone soldier with all the teamwork mechanics.   Also, I hate how the medic class works; it's like a job having to heal people, and then it's no longer a shooting game, or a game at all.  I prefer games where teamwork means covering eachother and being faster than the other guys, but in this game teamwork is a button press. "

Cry some more, scrub
    Damolition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Damolition

Well, it's only natural is you preferred cover mechanic shooters that you wouldn't like Team Fortress 2.
    Besides, from the little you say you appear to be charging alone into medic pairs as well as expecting to be shooting the majority of the time  when you play medic.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By iamjohn
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "I hate how the medic class works; it's like a job having to heal people, and then it's no longer a shooting game, or a game at all."
    What the fuck?  The point of playing a medic in any game is that you're making it you job to heal people in between killing people.  You're not making any sense whatsoever.

Also, saying that teamwork is a button press shows just how completely uneducated you are about the game.  There's a huge dynamic to how all the different classes play off each other and how you use them in the map.  Please don't say any more smack talk about the game until you learn how to play it.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Discorsi

Umm the game is pretty addictive and the classes are all very satisfying.  i don't know why people think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread but it is a good game.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By lemon360

not that popular

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iamjohn
    @lemon360 said:
    " not that popular "
    Lol @ playing Valve games on consoles.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nasar7

TF2 is best played with a group of people you know bc it's all about teamwork. And yeah, its not CoD or Halo, you have to play the role of the class you choose. The switch can be jarring at first.

Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Queequeg

Personally, I think it's fun because of the teamwork.  I don't have the most awesome aim in the world (I can hold my own though), but I can still contribute to my team by playing support roles.  Plus there's just so much variety of play styles with all the different classes and different game modes.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By ImperiousRix

I love TF2.  Sadly, I only play on Xbox LIVE so I have yet to get all the awesome new patches the PC version has gotten, but still.
    For me, I like cooperative multiplayer in shooters a little better than competitive, but with TF2, it's the best of both worlds.  There's nothing better than checking what component of your team is missing, filling that role, and basically being the linch-pin in your team's victory.  It's not about personal glory, it's about doing what's best for your team, and that's what I love about TF2.
    Besides, the graphical style and design of the game is just amazing.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoelTGM
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "I hate how the medic class works; it's like a job having to heal people, and then it's no longer a shooting game, or a game at all."
    What the fuck?  The point of playing a medic in any game is that you're making it you job to heal people in between killing people.  You're not making any sense whatsoever.

Also, saying that teamwork is a button press shows just how completely uneducated you are about the game.  There's a huge dynamic to how all the different classes play off each other and how you use them in the map.  Please don't say any more smack talk about the game until you learn how to play it.
    "
    lol woah there I never meant to upset anyone with this thread.  I'm just saying I plain don't like the idea of a healer class in any game, because it's not as much fun being stuck on healer duty in my opinion.  That's why it bothers me that in this game a healer is so necessary.  I'm trying to enjoy it, but it's just not clicking with me.  Then my brother joins me as a medic, and I start killing like crazy, but it feels cheap, like we aren't winning because we're both good players, we're winning because he's holding down the heal button.  It's fun running around with a shotgun and all that, I like it, but I'm not used to a game forcing teamwork so much, it's not subtle at all.  I will keep playing it though!  Like I said I'm trying to like it.
    Dragoon14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dragoon14
    @DOUBLESHOCK: Then why the hell would you make this topic if you just said that is was fun, but you don't like healing people. Who cares if you don't. Don't be a healer there is more classes you can be.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Dragoon14 said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK: Then why the hell would you make this topic if you just said that is was fun, but you don't like healing people. Who cares if you don't. Don't be a healer there is more classes you can be. "
    and again... calm ... down...  yes we're on the internet but it doesn't mean... lol nevermind it's hopeless.  I made this thread because I was frustrated that I couldn't get into the game, and most people here were mature enough to tell me what this game was about and why they like it, so thanks to them.
    KME93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By KME93

I think its fun cause of all the diversity. If your not good with one class try them all and see what you like. Also I think its fun because it is just silly seeing cartoon heads fall off... then again that could be the reason it is fun it is just silly

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By Gunner

Because its something different.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wolverine

Its popular because there are so many different classes in the game and that is something you usually don't see in a FPS.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JJOR64

Like Ryan said in his Rayman 2 review "How good? Eating your fav ice cream while getting a bj in zero gravity ... is a close 2nd."

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Systech

No Caption Provided

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ghostin

It's fun to play, well supported and cheap.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By turbomonkey138

Did you just insult my favorite class the medic . I should act like a fanboy and abuse you over the Internets .

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Player1

I totally agree with every complaint you have with the game. But I do see how people can get into the game and enjoy it.

So I'll stick to my halo,cod,killzone, and they can play their little cartoon shooter. :P Whatever floats your boat. 

@Wolverine said:
    " Its popular because there are so many different classes in the game and that is something you usually don't see in a FPS. "
    Congratulations. You win most ridiculous statement of the day award! 
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33  Edited By dsplayer1010

I can see how you would feel that way. Like all games, it's a matter of "To each their own." Some people,like myself, like the the teamwork based gameplay

dartagnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dartagnan
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @iAmJohn said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:

"
    lol woah there I never meant to upset anyone with this thread.  I'm just saying I plain don't like the idea of a healer class in any game, because it's not as much fun being stuck on healer duty in my opinion.  That's why it bothers me that in this game a healer is so necessary.  I'm trying to enjoy it, but it's just not clicking with me.  Then my brother joins me as a medic, and I start killing like crazy, but it feels cheap, like we aren't winning because we're both good players, we're winning beun and all that, I like it, but I'm not used to a game forcing teamwork so much, it's not subtle at all.  I will keep playing it though!  Like I said I'm trying to like it. "
    Medic takes, a lot of skill to play properly, not so much in pubs, but in an actual competitive game, a medic can easily make or break team. I'd consider it the second hardest, maybe even the hardest class in the game to play well.
    Giganticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Giganticus

Join 24 player servers instead of 32 player, that will reduce a lot of the spam. Unless you're on Xbox or PS3 of course.

Also the game requires teamwork because of the inter-class dynamics. Demomen have trouble with Scouts and Pyros, Scouts and Pyros are weak to Soldiers, Heavies weak to most stuff without a medic, etc. etc. A medic is weak to everything so requires his over-healed teammate to do the heavy lifting for him. Play against good players and you'll notice they'll always aim at your medic first, and you'll always be trying to protect your medic.

A good medic who knows how to pocket and to uber-save is a godsend :)

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By subject2change

Classes are quite balanced in TF2, Solider's in my opinion should be doing more damage due to the 4 rocket limit but its pretty similar to how they were doing damage back in TFC 2 rockets and shotty to kill a medic, just wish they could take down Heavies easier. The game itself is quite fun being someone that played TFC quite a bit but never got competitive the changes in TF2 were kinda a shock at first mainly the slower pace and the lack of grenade spam. I believe changing your class will make the game more enjoyable, Solider to me is great as a lone class but requires some knowledge and experience to play well. Personally go with a more entry class like Pyro or Spy. The only thing I really hate in TF2 are Sentry Guns comapred to TFC they are insanely over powered being that a scout used to be able to run around a sentry without getting hit; now they do 180s instantly.

Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Benjaminvdv
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @lemon360 said:
    " not that popular "
    Lol @ playing Valve games on consoles.
    "

It's quite good really, I don't know how many people play it these days, but I clocked well over a 100 hours on it before I got it on Steam, which was mainly because of a friend and the fact that we didn't get any updates. Still I did enjoy the gameplay on the 360 more, yes it is with a controller, but then again, everyone has that disadvantage, and frankly it really balances the classes.

Still, even though the class balance isn't perfect on either the PC or the consoles, all characters do really serve a purpose, ofcourse some classes are more popular then others, but a medic is what makes a heavy great, a pyro is vital to defense with engineers and there is nothing like a demoman setting a trap at a capture point.
    So while certain classes do get better scores then others, the fact is that if you had a team with only those classes, that you would get ripped a new one by a team of the same skill using all classes.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By xplodedd
    @SirPsychoSexy said:
    " This game is amazing. All the classes are very balanced and a total different experience from each of the others "
    i agree....
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Meowayne

I prefer games where teamwork means being faster than the other guys 

Wow. Just.. wow.
    AardvarkBarber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AardvarkBarber

Quit playing on pubbie servers. Find a good set of servers to play on often. Learn to actually play as a team. The game becomes 1000x more fun when you do this. 

Pubbie servers offer the least the game has to offer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I suggest find a nice server and stick to it. Also, read some class guide.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Whisperkill
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "It's not very fun, just random rockets and things flying everywhere, and people with medics tagging behind them.  I feel pretty useless as a lone soldier with all the teamwork mechanics.   Also, I hate how the medic class works; it's like a job having to heal people, and then it's no longer a shooting game, or a game at all.  I prefer games where teamwork means covering eachother and being faster than the other guys, but in this game teamwork is a button press."

you have no taste, stop whining

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.