Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

This game has blown up.

• 67 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Like Minecraft this game has blown up and suddenly a lot of people are playing it, does anyone know what caused this? I learnt of this game because of the almighty Total Biscuit, maybe that's how everyone found it?

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jking47

this post is the first I have heard about it. will research and return

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By amomjc

A lot of people have been going on about it for a while, especially Minecraft enthusiasts. Most blogs I have read are either "Holy Crap, this is awesome!" or "This is some stupid Minecraft ripoff."

Looks like a lot of fun and I wish I had $10 to pour into it because I could never get into minecraft, but this looks more inviting for me.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @csoup said:
    A lot of people have been going on about it for a while, especially Minecraft enthusiasts. Most blogs I have read are either "Holy Crap, this is awesome!" or "This is some stupid Minecraft ripoff."Looks like a lot of fun and I wish I had $10 to pour into it because I could never get into minecraft, but this looks more inviting for me.
    Yeah, this is more like Minecraft but focused on combat instead of building random stuff. 
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aww, man, I thought the thing literally blew up. I was going to suggest it was crafted from unstable chemicals, but the whole thing is ruined now.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By soldierg654342
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Like Minecraft this game has blown up and suddenly a lot of people are playing it, does anyone know what caused this? I learnt of this game because of the almighty Total Biscuit, maybe that's how everyone found it?
    Minecraft has been pretty stagnant for a while now and looks to remain that way for the indefinite future, with bug fixes taking precedent over new feature (not that bugs don't need to be fixed). People are also starting to fully burn out on Minecraft.

Terreria looks to be similar enough to appeal to the same market, but different enough to provide a new experience. 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Minecraft has had a big lull in updates in the last 3 weeks, since its in Beta, Notch has actually started releasing updates that don't completely break things, but they take longer to put out. 

I plan on buying terraria as soon as I have time to play it. 
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Three0neFive

I blame /v/.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

/v/ griefs internet.  Internet blows up.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Turambar

The gf talked me into playing it.  Kinda fun I guess.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Three0neFive@SeriouslyNow: What?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Minecraft has been pretty stagnant for a while now and looks to remain that way for the indefinite future, with bug fixes taking precedent over new feature (not that bugs don't need to be fixed). People are also starting to fully burn out on Minecraft.

Terreria looks to be similar enough to appeal to the same market, but different enough to provide a new experience. 
    Im sort of getting tired of waiting for new updates. Yes there is mods but it kidna seems at times Notch is just dragging his heels .
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Three0neFive
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Nobody would pay a second glance toward Terraria if they weren't introduced to the "build your own stuff in a randomly-generated block world" concept through Minecraft, and one of the main reasons Minecraft is so popular is because of the word of mouth it got from /v/.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By vager

The game got noticed when Notch tweeted the trailer about 2 weeks ago.

The game is pretty great. It's more focused on loot and combat then Minecraft, which focuses on building stuff.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Three0neFive said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Nobody would pay a second glance toward Terraria if they weren't introduced to the "build your own stuff in a randomly-generated block world" concept through Minecraft, and one of the main reasons Minecraft is so popular is because of the word of mouth it got from /v/.
    What do you mean the word of mouth from /v/? You think everyone who plays it have visited /v/?
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By MistaSparkle

Its cuz the Yogscast played it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @NekuSakuraba
    @Three0neFive said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    What do you mean the word of mouth from /v/? You think everyone who plays it have visited /v/?
    Scratch that, I mean how did it get so popular just from /v/?
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Three0neFive
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@Three0neFive said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
    Random, non-consequential person finds random indie game, posts it on /v/, more people play it, in usual fashion /v/ circlejerk over it until their shittery causes the game to gain more media attention, /v/ abandons game because they consider it too mainstream

As much as I advocate not thinking of 4chan as some dark, scary shithole to be avoided, sometimes it really can be full of douchebags.
    picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By picklecannon

I've known about minecraft, and I also know about terraria and whereas minecraft looked dumb and pointless to me, I'm going to buy terraria once i finish the witcher 2, mainly because terraria isn't just pointless building/mining in order to build/mine more efficiently.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By TehFlan
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Three0neFive said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    I'm not even sure what /v/ is and I play Minecraft, so I don't think that's the answer.
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By soldierg654342
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:

Im sort of getting tired of waiting for new updates. Yes there is mods but it kidna seems at times Notch is just dragging his heels .
    I feel you. The updates are getting farther apart and including less and less. I've really don't play Minecraft anymore because I don't have much of a reason to. I've done all I care to do with what's available to me. 

I'll probably grab Terraria either when it's on sale or I have more funds available to me. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @TehFlan said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Three0neFive said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    I'm not even sure what /v/ is and I play Minecraft, so I don't think that's the answer.
    That's not the point.  You don't need to know what /v/ is to be influenced by it.  Many people don't know what NeoGAF is either and yet they're also strongly influenced by that too.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:

I feel you. The updates are getting farther apart and including less and less. I've really don't play Minecraft anymore because I don't have much of a reason to. I've done all I care to do with what's available to me. 

I'll probably grab Terraria either when it's on sale or I have more funds available to me. 
    What annoys me is that he talks about stuff he wants to put in. Then never seems to follow up. Lanterns where had my interest. And where are they now?

Also Terraria is still being worked on. They are working on steam based servers. Achivments. More items...and all that. 
    UchihaMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By UchihaMatt

PBat, The Yogscast and a tweet from notch was what got the word out. The fact that it looked promising is what got everyone interested. The game seems to have sold pretty well so far, and without spending a dime on marketing by the looks.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Hmm...I have never heard of this game before...I am a regular player of Minecraft (over 90 hours on it so far over the past 4 months). Is it any good?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sanity

Who cares what made it popular, its good and that means it deserves to sell well. Better then minecraft imo. 

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vaguely skimmed a post on RPS about it sometime in April. Then promptly forgot about it. PCGamer gave it a quick nod the day it came out, though. It looked really cool and the price was right so I picked it up out of curiosity. After watching the Dev team's Let's Play series on YouTube, I was hooked.

It'd be too easy to dismiss this as just some awful Minecraft clone. I'd almost go so far as to say that it suggests the person saying that never actually played the game. There's an astonishing amount of depth here for a game that was started in January.

Personally, I like it. I feel like there's a little more direction in Terraria than Minecraft. I don't care about building a particularly sexy or clever house. I do like that there's loot, coupled with merchants AND resource mining, as well as a comprehensive crafting system. And boss fights. How fucking cool is that?

Anyways, I like Minecraft, I do. It just never grasped me fully by the testicles and refused to let go. Terraria has enough "game" there that I can see it completely eating my brain.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By crusader8463
    @UchihaMatt said:
    PBat, The Yogscast and a tweet from notch was what got the word out. The fact that it looked promising is what got everyone interested. The game seems to have sold pretty well so far, and without spending a dime on marketing by the looks.
    Take a look at Steam top sales and it's outselling EVERYTHING. It out sold the fucking witcher 2 for crying out loud!
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By captain_clayman

my minecraft fanboy 12 year old brother has been playing it nonstop.  i said that it looks pretty much like minecraft, but 2d and he was like NOOOO ITS NOT THE SAME, YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING SHUT UP!

ugh.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @captain_clayman said:
    my minecraft fanboy 12 year old brother has been playing it nonstop.  i said that it looks pretty much like minecraft, but 2d and he was like NOOOO ITS NOT THE SAME, YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING SHUT UP!

ugh.
    It looks the same but is much more battle focus. 
    Bongos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bongos

So basically minecraft is more sandboxish and buildish due to being three dimensional but Terraria has more gameplay and bosses with a ok building aspect being two dimensional. Still there's no rush like finally killing skeletron with a flamerang and exploring the underground jungle.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Bongos said:
    So basically minecraft is more sandboxish and buildish due to being three dimensional but Terraria has more gameplay and bosses with a ok building aspect being two dimensional. Still there's no rush like finally killing skeletron with a flamerang and exploring the underground jungle.
    I think it might be that t has "More" to offer on release. And people are starting to get annoyed with Notchs updates. He goes fixing stuff about maybe...200 people MIGHT encounter. Instead of adding new things and fixing majors bugs like chunk errors and what not. 
    Bongos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bongos
    @The_Laughing_Man: Maybe notch is running out of steam or ideas. I had so much hope that minecraft could of been more but it kinda languished.
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Nasos100

guys who is /v/ ? Satan?

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By hakunin
    @Nasos100: Pretty much.

(it's the video game boards on 4chan. don't go to 4chan)
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pinworm45
    @captain_clayman said:

ugh.
    It's not the same.
    Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sedasys

I first heard about it from /r/gaming on Reddit. From there I started to follow it and watch all the LPs that were on youtube.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I saw some videos on Yogscast. Looks bad.

And why is OP watching TotalBiscuit? Unfunny, uninformative videos from someone who complains about a game when he's too stupid or blind to know the incredibly obvious solution to whatever he's fucked up on today. He's awful.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Bollard
    @NekuSakuraba said:

Total Biscuits audience isn't that wide :P. Also, let me draw you a Venn diagram to explain the situation a bit better:
    I think this pretty much explains everything. 
    I think this pretty much explains everything. 
    EDIT: I should have added that most of the dark green circle can be classified as the "Frustrated" Minecraft fans. By that I mean the ones that constantly bitch about notch and feel they are entitled to a million updates a week cause they spent a few bucks on a beta. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @GunslingerPanda said:

I saw some videos on Yogscast. Looks bad.
    And why is OP watching TotalBiscuit? Unfunny, uninformative videos from someone who complains about a game when he's too stupid or blind to know the incredibly obvious solution to whatever he's fucked up on today. He's awful.

When Simon played alone he stated several times he did not like it so he did not put much effort into it. When TB played it he stated many times he hated minecraft. So....

About TB. You do know he has a medical issue (He talked about it once) Where he has issued seeing stuff. He also has issues with short term memory. 
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pinworm45 said:
    @captain_clayman said:

ugh.
    It's not the same.

^^^^

No.

It is not the same.

I am of the opinion that one does not know anything about this game until they play it.

I would appreciate it if you gave the game a shot because it may perhaps change your pre-formed opinion.

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By djaoni

The reason it has gotten big is because Youtube.
    The Yogscast have gotten almost 750.000 views on one of their Terraria videos, 300.000+ on their other videos.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By frankxiv

i like how everyone tries to credit it's success to one place or another when it's probably a combination and all boils down to "cheap good game on steam, people buy and tell friends"

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By azrailx

its all because of the server im hosting for funz

for sure
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Daveyo520

Well, it is like Minecraft.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vexxan

Gonna give it a try, I liked Minecraft. Guess it would work in 2D...

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By time allen

just bought it. time to see what the fuss is about.

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onimonkii said:
    i like how everyone tries to credit it's success to one place or another when it's probably a combination and all boils down to "cheap good game on steam, people buy and tell friends"

This. Emphatically this.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By endless_void

I've already put 12 hours into this game and I've been balancing it between starcraft 2 xD It's amazing.

Is there a Giantbomb server?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Three0neFive said:
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@Three0neFive said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
    Random, non-consequential person finds random indie game, posts it on /v/, more people play it, in usual fashion /v/ circlejerk over it until their shittery causes the game to gain more media attention, /v/ abandons game because they consider it too mainstreamAs much as I advocate not thinking of 4chan as some dark, scary shithole to be avoided, sometimes it really can be full of douchebags.
    This is literally the answer.

Minecraft is popular because of /v/. Terraria is popular because it's like Minecraft.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.