Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tharsis

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 12, 2016

A turn-based strategy, perma-death game set on the first manned mission to Mars.

Tharsis seems cool. Anyone else having fun with it?

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Played this the last couple of days after watching friend of the site Will Smith stream it. I've really enjoyed my time with it and was wondering if anyone else has given it a shot?

It a good short time game that similar to FTL but simpler on it's surface. Actual dice rolls are fun. I like that Jennifer Hale narrates the mission. There's enough to unlock in terms of crew members and endings(?) to warrant replays after finishing it the first time.

Oh, and cannibalism.

Still figuring it out and was wondering what other people's strategies are. I hope this get's a quick look at some point. Here's Will playing it if you want to see more of the game and a friendly face.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I haven't tried it yet, but have been really curious about it. Is it as frustrating as people make it out to be?

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ericjasonwade

I was hoping the crew would do some sort of feature on it so I could make my decision on buying it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam says I have 3 hours played and I already rage-uninstalled it twice. First time I was trying to fix a room with a single void hazard and I lost 7 dice to it, one crew member lost all 5. Second time I was doing really well, ship was doing really well, everyone was healthy etc etc. Go in to repair a room with a double injury on the same die, gets one fail on the first roll (assisted away), then three on the next roll, dead...

My experience so far is that the game is just dice rolls. It doesn't matter how well you strategize, if you don't get good rolls you can't survive. Even if you're lucky enough to avoid hazards, getting "decent" rolls won't be enough.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sessh: It's very much a trial and error type of game and sometimes the RNG can really fuck you over. At the same time the games, for me at least, are short enough that if everything goes belly up you don't lose much time.

So, yeah it's frustrating but I think it finds a good balance to still be fun. This morning I completed a game for the first time without losing anyone or resorting to canibalism. It was a pretty damn satisfying moment.

samsara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tharsis can absolutely be strategized; this is MATN's second and concluding part of a four-person landing. Lot's of tough but reasonable calls.

https://youtu.be/6eb7_CtzhZk

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Oh cool, I hadn't realized the Fresh Prince of VR streamed it. Awsome. Gonna have to watch this later, as I haven't heard much about the game and the video on Steam's page is confusing.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ares42

@samsara: Watched the first 10 minutes of the video. Guess what, he's rolling really well. There's absolutely strategy to the game, but it's ultimately a resource game where your dice decide how many resources you have. And if you don't get enough resources you can't succeed. It's just pure balancing, and they have set the bar quite a bit higher than what an average roll would be.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@papercut: Okay, thanks for letting me know, I can definitely handle some RNG nonsense here or there. I'll get it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm planning on buying that game, it seems interesting in a very 'pound your head' on a table sort of way.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By maginnovision

I feel like what happens to me ALOT is that I'll get to two weeks before just trying to keep going and it either dumps more than I can possibly manage, or it'll give me something where 1 die has 3 injuries and lo and behold every single person will roll enough to die. But yea it definitely seems like its a matter of time before you literally luck your way through it. I wish assists could be managed, I think that alone would cut down the rng to managed levels. Instead it eats all my assists on stasis and the injuries kill my dudes.

The worst i had was my crew was all full health, ship maxxed and it dumped a bunch of -2 health's on me. I lost every single person to rooms that only needed 8 repairs. I haven't raged about it though. Its totally random so I never feel bad about it. It doesn't really matter what I do, the game can fuck it all up in an instant.

ComradeSolar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@monkeyking1969: "Pound your head" is right. I'm at 20 runs and only got past turn 5 once, and that one time seemed pretty charmed in terms of events (a bunch of sys fails allowing me to do other things) and in terms of rolls. Then on Turn 7 I got a 30 repair 4-5-6 void (makes your dice disappear if you roll those numbers) 3 damage event and it was basically over.

It has kindled in me an obsession to actually beat this thing, so if that sounds like something that would happen to you then it might be good. I will probably give it another 30 runs, like if I have played this 50 times and not beaten it or at least come close, I'll probably be done with it

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I downloaded it this morning and got three weeks in on my first try. I will say that I liked that they game only too 20 min to download (a new record for PSN)! I will play more tonight. I have seen people post their 10 week screens, so its is possible to 'beat the game', this seems like a good game to just sit your "tech savvy" friends in-front of for a few hours.

I know in my first play through I messed up the placement of one die, not that it mattered my ship was doomed anyway. Warts and all I still like the game because short replayabkle games that have a 'fuck you' element can also be fun.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just finished a game, probably about my 25th go around on normal?

I actually find the RNG element to be more frustrating on the winning run than any of my losing runs. I made a lot of decisions that turned out to be the right ones, but I don't think I had any way of knowing they were the right decisions until the end of the next turn. Even then, it was pretty obvious that I was quite lucky (eg getting events in the food module is always nice).

My advice would basically be to prioritise dice.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wish I could bring more crew in ship. Once I unlocked more crew I was hoping I could bring more along with me at once. Even if it was easier, I would just like to make it once.

I'm unsure what system failures do? I generally skip them for more important stuff.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it's coming to iPad. Seems like it would fit well there.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bofooq said:

I wish I could bring more crew in ship. Once I unlocked more crew I was hoping I could bring more along with me at once. Even if it was easier, I would just like to make it once.

I'm unsure what system failures do? I generally skip them for more important stuff.

As far as I can see, a System Failure just means that you won't be able to use that module (by putting dice into the slot on the right of the screen). How much of a problem this is will depend a lot on which module it is and what your situation is - for example not being able to harvest food might be a real problem, but not being able to reduce stress is probably less of an issue. With that said, leaving it untended will mean that your dudes are taking damage when they move around so you can't leave it indefinitely.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BoFooQ

This game is great and random. I have now beaten the game twice once just scraping by and once getting real lucky. I find the commander to be very useful, this helps when having low numbers getting locked and you can still fix 4. One of the biggest keys is keeping your number of dice for each member maxed. Its also very helpful to keep your crew grouped together. This gets the most out of peoples skills cause most only help those in same module, also when harvesting food or repairing ship its helpful in module to have more than one crew member so you can split die over more than one turn. If there are stasis numbers 1-3 use those to harvest/repair or whatever module helper is. On the last week all you have to do is get to flight module. You want to get first person there and than use "no movement damage" to get rest of your crew there. I don't think there is any reason to try and fix ship at this point cause crew will be left behind. I also only used reduce stress research on this last week to help final score.

loved the game and can't wait to see missions are?

will try hard mode some other time, don't want to ruin my week by killing everyone again. As of now my whole crew is on Mars.

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like this game. It's definitely brutal and you will die a lot due to RNG, but it's that particular feature which seems to tickle some part of my brain. So far I made it once out of 6 or 7 tries. Oddly enough I survived with 4 characters and, apart from the last turn, I fixed every event on the turn their happened! The fun is in strategizing and making the right call, but making the right call is definitely not a guarantee for succes. Some call it bullshit, I call it tension. If I know I'm going to beat a game before I start it, why even play? I hope they release more types of crew members and look forward to the missions.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

I got to week six on my first playthrough, week EIGHT on my second one (thanks to the Quick Look) but LORDY this game can get infuriating.

I'm 0/7, and I haven't really considered a ragequit/uninstall until my most recent one. In trying to accumulate seven...SEVEN to repair a single event with a 1 as an injury, I rolled three 1s, killing a crew member...only to roll 4 more ones and kill the second one. Game had been goin' REAL well to that point too.

But I CANNOT stop playing it. There is just SOMETHING very addictive about this game. Apparently seeking out general advice is pretty helpful, and I find the in-game tooltips to actually be pretty useful as well.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bofooq: You will have to fix the ship on the last turn if it is going to be actually destroyed at the end of the turn, I think, but you only need one crew member in the module. The first time I almost beat it I got someone to the module and managed to stop the ship blowing up, but couldn't do anything about a -2 health to all event, so I got an ending where the module launches and then explodes on entry.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I was playing this more, but I have been busy most nights (my hot water heater was broken...its winter...damn it!)

What I can say is that this game seems more fun when people are sitting next to you watching you screw up or watching you preserver through a no win scenario. In fact, I think this game should have been called "Kobayashi Maru". Nevertheless, I do find that game intriguing whenever I can play it, but I wish I could play it around other people.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I considered it, but my illogical disdain for virtual dice prevented me from indulging.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.