Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Binding of Isaac

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 28, 2011

A twisted twin-stick shooter from one of the designers of Super Meat Boy. Players take control of Isaac, a young boy who delves deep into the dungeons of his basement as he is hunted by his deranged mother.

17 hours and I finally finished my first playthough

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Yep. 17 hours. I haven't really discussed this game with anyone else so I'm not sure how long it takes the average person. But I did it, and damn did it feel good. After finishing it, I checked my Steam gameplay time and was shocked to see that it took me that long. It's such an easy game to sink very small to very large amounts of time in at once. I've had it for a month or so and have been playing it bit by bit since. I had made it to the final boss only twice before, but I feel like I lucked out with a bunch of good upgrades this last time. The last fight was easier than I initially thought, but it was still one of the most triumphant feelings I've gotten from a game in a long time.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it so far, much more than I was expecting actually, having not really played any games of this type before. Subsequent playthroughs seem to have more than a fair amount more surprises in store, and I'm thinking about checking out the new DLC for it soon. I don't love everything about it, mostly the ridiculously unfair rooms you can stumble into that can ruin a good run, but yeah, this game is pretty fucking fantastic and it's very easy to recommend given the low barrier of entry.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@OneKillWonder_ said:

and I'm thinking about checking out the new DLC for it soon.

There's supposed to be a summer steam sale...

Anyway, glad you enjoyed a game. I might just have to pick this up as well. Looks like a lot of fun.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By dillonwerner

Jesus Christ that is a long time, I haven't beaten it yet myself but I only have an hour or two clocked.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Now when you say you've beaten it, you mean beaten it beaten it right?

Not just defeated Mom the first time?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By jacksukeru

So are we talking Mom kill, Mom's Heart kill or Satan kill?

I got really into this a while ago, Steam says I have 54 hours played. Good podcast listening game.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @Tim_the_Corsair:  No, I mean finished the first time, as specified in the thread title. I'm fully aware there's a lot more to experience.
    Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nickieroonie

I got a mom kill on my first game back when it first came out! But no credit for it :(

No Caption Provided
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BisonHero

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@OneKillWonder_ said:

Anyway, glad you enjoyed a game. I might just have to pick this up as well. Looks like a lot of fun.

I would actually suggest holding off on the DLC until you sink another...like 30-40 hours into the game at least? I guarantee it will probably take you at least that long to beat the game with all of the characters, let alone get all of the base game achievements.

The DLC is so extensive that it's really more of an expansion pack that happens to cost $3. I would advise you consider getting it when you think you feel really confident about your skills at the base game, and want the game to get amped up a notch, because the DLC has alternate versions of each floor (alternate Basement is called the Cellar, alternate Caves is the Catacombs, etc.), where the new enemies are annoying assholes and it's even harder to avoid taking damage.

The DLC is great fun, but it makes an already hard game even harder in my opinion, so I suggest cutting your teeth on the base game for a while longer. Also, congrats on killing Mom!

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cubidog1

To beat Mom for the 1st time, I died more than 30 times and sunk 9 hours. Since then I've sunk over 70 hours into it and got every achievement in the base game. I'm considering buying the DLC, but I feel like I need to take a break from Isaac. I'm really enjoying a platformer that has rougelike elements called Spelunky. It's has permadeath, randomly generated levels, a bunch of items and the like. I'd recommend that if you like the randomness of Isaac.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @BisonHero: Thanks for the advice. I wasn't really sure if I was going to get it anyway. In the event that I do, does the DLC automatically and permanently effect the base game, or is there a way to disable it without uninstalling it if I don't like what it adds?
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@OneKillWonder_ said:

On a 3 dollar DLC? Really?

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Brians

@OneKillWonder_: Yes, Yes It Does.

Also I just got my first secret character but still haven't beat the game yet :(

ABK_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ABK_92

No offense but according to Steam I have 96 minutes played on this game and have beat it twice. Lol.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tim_the_corsair

The reason I ask is because some would argue beating Mom the first time isn't a true play through.

Regardless, though, it's an achievement in a tough game, no offence was intended

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akyho

I have 10hours and I havnt even seen mom...i get owned by one room and get messed up by another. When I am on her level.

A friends sunk 24hours and is often getting to and past mom only till recently. It sounds like a crazier game after that.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Sayishere

Yeah hold of the dlc for now, it's way harder, aim to beat the game 10 times (beating moms heart) to unlock all characters.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By ch3burashka

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@OneKillWonder_ said:

A sale... on a 3 dollar expansion? Pony up the cash.

17 hours? Sounds about right.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#18  Edited By BeachThunder

@Nickieroonie said:

I got a mom kill on my first game back when it first came out! But no credit for it :(

No Caption Provided

Congrats, that's actually pretty impressive; although, it only counts a 'mom kill' after you beat the next final boss :P

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By wunder_

Congratulations man, I have a love-hate relationship with this game, some base mechanics are annoying but it's mainly the DLC stuff that annoys me the most, though the new items are pretty rad. Keep playing and good luck :)

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By L44

All up i'm at 171 hours for Binding of Isaac. One of the most addicting agmes i've ever played. To properly beat the game you need to defeat Satan or Isaac, and to even attempt that you need to defeat Mom's heart 10 times (randomly you can attept Satan if your lucky).

Edit: I'm also not very good at Binding of Isaac. I think I was about the same, around 8 I think.

No Caption Provided
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BisonHero

@OneKillWonder_ said:

@BisonHero: Thanks for the advice. I wasn't really sure if I was going to get it anyway. In the event that I do, does the DLC automatically and permanently effect the base game, or is there a way to disable it without uninstalling it if I don't like what it adds?

Once you get the DLC, it is permanently added to the base game. Even if you uninstall, the next time you go to install the game, Steam automatically downloads and installs both the game and the DLC. Once you buy the DLC, THERE IS NO GOING BACK.

That's why I suggest spending as much time as possible with the base game, to get a sense of how the game works and all of its little secrets, before you get the DLC which adds a bunch of crazy new nonsense.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By GunstarRed

I've been playing a ton of this recently and only just beat the first Mom battle for the first time, and it took me about four hours. I have since put in another 8 hours and I haven't made it past the second bloody floored level. I use Cain as I tend to get the best pickups, but I find myself doing amazingly well and then getting one or two rooms in a row where I go from being in perfect condition to death.

I Can't stop playing the game, but I do feel like i'm getting slightly more frustrated by not being able to progress any farther.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Cincaid

I've clocked around 130 hours into the game so far (once again, a thousand thanks to Winternet for gifting me the DLC), and I'm actually nearing the end of everything. I still need to:

• Finish the Cathedral with Maggy.
    • Finish the Chest with all characters.
    • Complete the Caves and Depths without taking damage.

Since the DLC ramps up the difficulty, finishing those levels without being hit will probably be the most complicated thing for me. As others have said; if you don't have the DLC yet I recommend finishing every achievement before installing the DLC.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @mnzy: I don't know much it has to do with sucking. Sometimes you just get shitty rooms that can fuck you over in an instant or get no good upgrades. It's the luck of the draw. Eve isn't really that good, though. My first completion was with Maggy. I ended up having like 10 hearts by the time I got to Mom. I would recommend using her first.

So far I've managed to beat the full game with both Isaac and Cain. I was kind of surprised at how easy Mom's heart is. Really makes going through the Womb areas less daunting knowing that once I hit the boss I'm basically home free.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By EVO

I just killed Mom's Heart for the first time after 14 hours. I got really lucky with items.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for xthegiftedgamerx
    XTheGiftedGamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By XTheGiftedGamerX

I beat mom the first time I tried. This being in the DLC and with over 120 Hours of youtube video experience of the game. I feel very satisfied, but the game is incredebly hard and there still is a ton of remaining content.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By gaminghooligan

@RockmanBionics: podcast listening game of the year for me, clocked in a lot of time on it, Spelunky, and Minecraft while listening to the Bombcast

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.