Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Binding of Isaac

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 28, 2011

A twisted twin-stick shooter from one of the designers of Super Meat Boy. Players take control of Isaac, a young boy who delves deep into the dungeons of his basement as he is hunted by his deranged mother.

Item discussion thread.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I was going to make a thread talking about Guppy the Cat and whether or not the risk is worth the reward, but there are a few items in the game that have risks and rewards (mainly the ones you buy with hearts) so I thought why not put it in one thread? Let me start with Guppy,

In case you don't know, Guppy the Cat is an item in game that does the following -

Your HP is set to 1. You are followed by a floating cat head, receive 9 extra lives. You can increase your max HP as normal, but after each death it willset to 1 again.

I just used it and found it very hard to clear rooms with and especially bosses. Well having 9 lives in theory sounds great, having to restart a room after losing 1 heart is a real bummer, what do you guys think?

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By ADAMWD

I agree, Guppy is pretty much worthless in my opinion. It really sucks when you have a powerful character with a lot of hearts and then you accidentally pick up Guppy.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

You should never buy Guppy. Ever. Save your hearts for The Mark, The Pact, or The Lord of the Pit. Those are pretty sick.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Aishan

There is one trick with Guppy: if you come across Famine in the Caves and kill yourself quickly in his goo after picking up the Meat-cube, he will sometimes respawn and you can kill him again to get another, and another. Saves a little on the luck aspect of getting all four horsemen in one run for a Super Meat Boy companion.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By SMTDante89

Only reason why I got Guppy was so I could add it to my items list.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aishan

@SMTDante89 said:

Only reason why I got Guppy was so I could add it to my items list.

That and it counts towards unlocking the Parasite, which is pretty decent weapon power-up.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba

How long did it take you guys to get up to the final boss by the way (Mom's first form) I've been playing for a while (steam count says 7 hours but I think I left it running in the background for a while) and I can't freaking do it, should I just give up?

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By retrovirus

I found the Guppy, and it caused me to fail a Mom battle. Personally, I like the protective items like the Book of Shadows or one of the little siblings that fire along with you.

Alo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Alo81

Guppy isn't really that bad. My first time beating mom was using guppy, but I also had the card that spawned 2 of the false hearts. This game is great fun to play, if only to see all the cool random loot you can get.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By samfo
    @NekuSakuraba: youll get a good run eventually. keep at it.
    kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By kalmis

Ended up using Guppy the worst way possible. Got it and managed to get few extra hearts. Didn't know that you start with one heart if you died. Got killed by mom of course and was so deflated by this that couldn't do anything with remaing lives.

Really good wiki: http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Items

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@kalmis said:

Ended up using Guppy the worst way possible. Got it and managed to get few extra hearts. Didn't know that you start with one heart if you died. Got killed by mom of course and was so deflated by this that couldn't do anything with remaing lives.

Really good wiki: http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Items

Yeah, that wiki is awesome.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Pop

I've taken the cat head like 3 times cause I kept forgetting my hp will reset to 1 if I die, so the cat is not so good, what do you guys think about the Chocolate Milk item that makes your tears charge up? I personally don't like cause I like spreading tears everywhere, I only get the +2 damage item from the devil's room if I have at least 6 hearts, I can't beat mom with less than 4 hearts she moves pretty fast for a big girl.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Pop said:

I've taken the cat head like 3 times cause I kept forgetting my hp will reset to 1 if I die, so the cat is not so good, what do you guys think about the Chocolate Milk item that makes your tears charge up? I personally don't like cause I like spreading tears everywhere, I only get the +2 damage item from the devil's room if I have at least 6 hearts, I can't beat mom with less than 4 hearts she moves pretty fast for a big girl.

Chocolate milk isn't that bad. You can still fire fast by tapping the arrow keys really fast and having the option to charge is pretty nice. Awesome item if you have an ally with you, you charge while they spray.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Do you guys think the lucky foot is worth it?

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By dandead

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Pop said:

Chocolate milk isn't that bad. You can still fire fast by tapping the arrow keys really fast and having the option to charge is pretty nice. Awesome item if you have an ally with you, you charge while they spray.

I beat the game the first time around with Chocolate Milk + Triple Shot Combo with some additional range and projectile ups. Very devastating, mom never stood a chance against a three wave charged shot! :D

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dandead

I would also like to state that the Halo of Flies is also really useful, as is the Unicorn Power Up as it can clear potentially deadly regular enemy rooms with ease.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Pop
    @dandead said: Chocolate Milk + Triple Shot Combo

oh wow those stack? that sounds amazing, I need to try that

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aishan

@Pop: Most of the weapon power-ups stack like that. I think the only exception is Dr. Fetus.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba

What do you guys think of Number one and My reflection?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder

I don't think too highly of either; My Reflection reduces your range and will probably kill you if you have a fetus in a jar :( Similar issue with Number One, it's faster, but you have limited range.

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By valiantgoat

I like Number One, with some added damage/range you can dominate. My Reflection is just plain bad, reduces your range to next to nothing.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@ValiantGoat said:

I like Number One, with some added damage/range you can dominate. My Reflection is just plain bad, reduces your range to next to nothing.

Unless it's been patched out in the last day or two, you can't get added range with Number One. In the playthrough where I found Number One, it reduced my range to the minimum, and it stayed there, even though I used multiple range-up pills afterwards. Maybe that was a bug, but I get the feeling that it's intended that it auto-maxes your rate of fire, while permanently giving you minimum range. Thankfully on that playthrough I did end up getting to max damage, so I was able to defeat Mom's Heart, despite having to get uncomfortably close to the enemies in The Depths and The Womb. I'm not a fan of Number One.

And yeah, My Reflection is pretty much complete garbage. It insures that there is a high density of shots a few spaces in front of you since the shots sorta linger there without fully returning to you, which I guess is useful against stuff that charges at you like the regenerating enemies (Globins). But it kills your range so much that it's never worth it, because you will have a pretty hard time fighting any enemy that can shoot at you from far away.

And yeah, Guppy the dead cat is not worth it, unless you have some kind of completely broken item combo, like Battery + Mom's Pill Bottle, and on that particular playthrough, the game is giving you nothing but Health Up, Balls of Steel, and Full Health pills. My playthrough would have to be that broken for me to take Guppy. Even Battery + Book of Revelations/The Nail isn't broken enough to make it worth taking; you'd be better off just trying to bank the soul hearts in addition to keeping your regular hearts.

While we're bitching about items, I'm convinced that Fetus in a Jar/Dr. Fetus is basically a death sentence. Maybe it would be useful if the bombs exploded upon contact with the enemy, but they don't, which means you just got fucked over constantly while waiting for bombs to detonate so you can fire the next one. It works alright in completely open rooms where you can maneuver around, but once you get to any rooms that have chasms forcing you to maneuver around narrow areas, you're boned, though if you had normal shots you could totally have avoided taking damage. Also, you're completely screwed when fighting any enemies that charge directly at you, like the regenerating Globins, Lust, etc.

Also, I just generally find the Wiggle Worm irritating, and I'd rather my shots go straight. That may just be personal preference. However, I distinctly remember firing at a stationary boss, and because I was a little off-center, some of my shots curved around the boss depending on which they were randomly oriented. I guess the powerup is good for spamming a room with your shots, but I'm good enough at aiming that I'd really rather they go straight.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#24  Edited By BeachThunder

I would say Fetus is a Jar can actually be pretty good - you just need to be very careful. Consider it a different game mode whilst playing with the Fetus in a Jar. It can help you do a lot of grinding if that's your sort of thing - ie. if you have the Battery you can keep blowing up doors and leaving the room and returning to continuously recharge your item. Also, you can keep re-entering a room in order to kill any special enemies, then leave the room and return to look for more special enemies.

vexing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vexing

Of the new stuff added in the update I have to say I love me the pony. I don't even use the space power, it's pretty great without it.

Gaidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gaidren

Regarding Number One, there are definately some items that overwrite the minimum range. Range Up pills won't, but Technology does (what a combo THAT is! Max range/piercing/max rate of fire!). I think anything else that changes the nature of your tears might as well (Small Rock, etc) but don't quote me on that.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@vexing said:

Of the new stuff added in the update I have to say I love me the pony. I don't even use the space power, it's pretty great without it.

Agreed, the pony is pretty freaking awesome. It makes the ladder useless and you can hover over spikes/rocks.

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By valiantgoat

I still haven't gotten the pony, you're supposed to get it from the headless horseman but he always drops a cube of meat for me. Can someone confirm if unlocking the pony is considered a secret in the game? I'm afraid it's glitched for me somehow, but I could just be really unlucky with getting that one item.

Gaidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gaidren

@ValiantGoat: Weird, I've only ever seen the pony drop.

Another possible bug...I was holding the Book of Revelations on Womb 1 and encountered Headless Horseman instead of Death. That would have been annoying as hell if I had been trying to unlock the Super Bandage (which I still am, but I didn't get a horseman boss in the Basement so it wasn't going to happen anyways that run).

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valiantgoat

@Gaidren I just want a pony... lol

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got Brimstone the other day, and man, it completely destroyed the game, even with one heart! I hope I see it again in another playthrough!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.