Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Can Bethesda raise the level cap in Skyrim DLC?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

Because I've pretty much reached 100 in nearly all my disciplines. I'm at level 77 right now and I don't think I will even reach 78 with the few more things I need to max out. Do you think Bethesda planned for anyone to be in my situation (I know I'm not alone here)? I don't think they added levels in Oblivion but they have in Fallout. Will they add disciplines or will I just have to play the Expansion with my current level? Hope I'm not overpowered....

Also, what disciplines would you add to make the game better if you had your way?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

@Vinny_Says said:

Hope I'm not overpowered...

Ahahahahaha, you're overpowered once you 100 pretty much any skill from what I can tell. I have sneak 100 and the game is a doss if I use it now.

I think your best option would be a new character, I can't imagine any way Bethesda can retrospectively add something to make a character with 100 in everything feel weaker. They might be able to tweak some stuff but I don't see it happening. Personally I can't see the gain in maxing everything in one character, but then again I guess I have a slight affinity for the roleplaying aspect, and I don't want my Thief character to be amazing at magic and heavy armour. Which is why I plan to make a new conjurer/armourer once I complete the main story, and having Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild done.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JoeyRavn

Leveling up in earlier Elder Scrolls game was different. You could only level up when you trained your Major skills. Getting to levels as high as Skyrim was almost impossible, IIRC. I guess they could add more skills, but, really, the matter of levels in TES games is not that important. Enemies reach a cap and they stay there, while you continue to level up. Pretty pointless... though I'd love me some Acrobatics :O

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I suppose there probably isn't any technical reason as to why they couldn't let skills go higher. I wouldn't mind seeing that either, as I know my interest in playing kinda fell off a cliff once I got my combat skills to 100 (and completing all the quests I was interested in too).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

No of course not. The hard cap is when every skill is at 100; so unless they add more skills, which they won't, nope.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Rattle618

They´ve always added different stuff to do and explore on previous expansions. They can add different enemies to scale better against higher lvl characters such as yours, thus increasing the overall difficulty of the new content (that way it also scales down in case you want to go into expansion stuff with a low lvl character). I dont think they will add skill trees or modify the way the skill system works in significant ways, but that´s just me.

Whatever they do I really hope they dont try to pull the old "strip you naked and dump you into a new zone" trick, that would suck.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lagaroth

I am assuming you aren't on PC?

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#8  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Raising the cap seems completely unnecessary from what I'm hearing. They might add a new discipline or two, but I'm not sure there are really any significant gaps, as much as I'm sure some fans were bouncing for not-joy about Acrobatics disappearing. Maybe if the DLC was all about the Dwemer civilization and you could pick up "Dwemer Magic" to build and control automatons and the like, but I really don't think they'll mess with that side of things at all. It'll just be more missions with the pre-existing character development stuff.

I just hope they don't follow the usual rule of separating the player from all their overpowered gear and faithful companions before warping them away to DLC land so there's at least some challenge to it. I mean, I get it, but it kind of sucks all the same.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Chavtheworld: Yeah I just got bored of cutting everyone's throat with my Mehrune Razor so I got into the other disciplines and eventually got bored of them too. Now I'm just a weird hybrid character.

@Rattle618: That's how they ruin an expansion, by robbing you of all your gains.

@Lagaroth: xbox

Could they add extra perks? A perk like unlimited sprint would be awesome, but then again I don't know how you would earn the points to unlock it.....

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By mikey87144

@Vinny_Says: I don't think they will. The best we could hope for is Bethesda retooling the leveling system a bit so we can earn more perks. I know I would like some more perk points.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Hizang

No, and really why should they?

Unless you cheat the game, it will take you well over 100+ hours to get to the limit in everything.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By david3cm

I loved Skyrim, I played it for over 100 hours across a few different characters, I cannot imagine playing this game enough to get to level 77. How are you not burned out on this game yet, I can only assume you have done everything this game has to offer. Maybe you should make a new character if you are interested in playing the DLC whenever it comes out and not just one shotting every enemy you come across, but because of the way the skills and leveling up works I doubt they are just going to throw in some new disciplines for DLC. Unless they add new weapons such as energy weapons, then that would need its own skill tree.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By dillonwerner

I doubt they will, I just wish the old leveling system was back.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
    michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By michaelfossbakk

@DillonWerner said:

I like this system because it doesn't lock you into any assortment of disciplines from the beginning. You can do whatever you want and still gain experience from it.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dillonwerner

@michaelfossbakk said:

@DillonWerner said:

I like this system because it doesn't lock you into any assortment of disciplines from the beginning. You can do whatever you want and still gain experience from it.

I just think it's too easy and I don't like gaining levels off of Smithing and Enchanting.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn

@DillonWerner said:

At least you don't have to level jumping anymore.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By strainedeyes

@Vinny_Says said:

Because I've pretty much reached 100 in nearly all my disciplines. I'm at level 77 right now and I don't think I will even reach 78 with the few more things I need to max out.

The hard level cap is 81.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By sopranosfan

@Mikemcn said:

@DillonWerner said:

I don't know I found it quite funny jumping around in Oblivion. I just always tried to imagine what it would be like if it were real life and the people saw a knight jumping around the landscape.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikemcn

@sopranosfan said:

@Mikemcn said:

@DillonWerner said:

I don't know I found it quite funny jumping around in Oblivion. I just always tried to imagine what it would be like if it were real life and the people saw a knight jumping around the landscape.

It's alot like the Monty Python crew galloping all over in the Holy Grail.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Hizang said:

No, and really why should they?

Unless you cheat the game, it will take you well over 100+ hours to get to the limit in everything.

that's pretty much where I'm at....when a dev makes such an amazing game they shouldn't be surprised when people spend 200+ hours playing their game :)

@david3cm said:

I loved Skyrim, I played it for over 100 hours across a few different characters, I cannot imagine playing this game enough to get to level 77. How are you not burned out on this game yet, I can only assume you have done everything this game has to offer. Maybe you should make a new character if you are interested in playing the DLC whenever it comes out and not just one shotting every enemy you come across, but because of the way the skills and leveling up works I doubt they are just going to throw in some new disciplines for DLC. Unless they add new weapons such as energy weapons, then that would need its own skill tree.

I thought I had done everything but then I found myself solving a murder mystery in a lighthouse.....this game is enormous you can't even imagine....also now the dungeons are filled with Draugr deathlords and overlords instead of the standard draugr enemies. I think it scales to your level but my legendary dragon armor just makes me invincible...

@Geo7877 said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Because I've pretty much reached 100 in nearly all my disciplines. I'm at level 77 right now and I don't think I will even reach 78 with the few more things I need to max out.

The hard level cap is 81.

Oh well okay....still got more to do then.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By spazmaster666

If they are going to add anything it will probably be new perks like they did in Fallout 3/NV. And perhaps change the way the enemies leveled up to you (like what they did with Borderlands) so as to make the game more challenging at higher levels.

nitronomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nitronomicon

Raising the level cap might not be the way to go for Bethesda. The idea of having to grind from say 81 to 90, especially if the enemies do not scale, seems like too much of the same old. I say put the level cap on ice and instead focus on producing more randomly generated quests in the world. I have already put around 170 hours into the game and when i think about why I always come back to the world itself, i.e. the people, places, random encounters, etc. The quests were good, but it was the world in which the quests were set that kept me coming back. I would be fascinated with a dlc that updated the world to truly reflect my choices. How does Maven Black-Briar feel about me siding with the Storm cloaks, does my wife, Mjoll the Lioness, really love me after all the assassinations I have carried out?, and kill all dragons too. Also, respec perk points in the dlc.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By nightriff

Raise the cap? That needs to be done? I got to 50 and that was all I needed

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Just download a Mod from the workshop or nexus or even use a trainer. I don't see your problem.

Mjdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mjdemon

with new skill trees possibly from being a vampire or werewolf i hope they give you an option to redistribute your perks.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NickL

Maybe some books that give you more perk points when you read them. After I maxed out the mage perks I wanted, I started working on sneak/bow perks but I couldn't get everything I wanted for that.

Or maybe just letting you redistribute your perks would work too.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NickL

@ShadowSkill11 said:

Just download a Mod from the workshop or nexus or even use a trainer. I don't see your problem.

His problem is called an xbox 360.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vinny_Says

@ShadowSkill11 said:

My problem is that like many others I'm playing on an xbox.

@Mjdemon said:

with new skill trees possibly from being a vampire or werewolf i hope they give you an option to redistribute your perks.

That would be cool but does it kind of diminishes the value of stuff like dragon or daedric armor. I had to waste my last 2 perks to make a sick daedric bow and helmet (I'm at lv. 81 with every skill maxed out) instead of getting cool archery skills....

A new skill tree on the other hand, that would be cool.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By strainedeyes

I think they will probably just throw extra skill points out during the DLC. A way of leveling up without upping the cap.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Only if they raise the cap for skills over a 100 or if they increase the gain towards next level at each skill upgrade. Which i doubt they'll do. Although throwing in a quest or two that, upon completion, gives you a free perk point would be nice.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By InternetCrab

I played since December and stopped in about March, and im only level 41....

Praedos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Praedos

I hope they pull a broken steel (fallout 3), and raise it significantly, like skills being able to go to 100-150, etc.

pogo07rt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pogo07rt

There may be a couple added skills. watching the trailers i noticed you can attack on a horse. Maybe there will be a new skill referring to cavalry. Also now that there will be vampires maybe there will be a new skill were you use silver weapons or anything referring to demon hunting to help even out any faction problems since they might be unbalanced. I my self just hit 78 today and was wondering if there will be increase in level. I personally would like to see new armor i will be able to forge. :D

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Kazona

They might add some new perks, but I really see no reason for them to raise the level cap on skills and

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Kazona

Yay for phone keyboards adding unnecessary words to the end of my sentences

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zella

If you are playing not on the hardest difficulty crank it up if it's gotten really easy

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AuthenticM

Well they added a new skill (Vampire Lord), so there you go.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AuthenticM said:

Well they added a new skill (Vampire Lord), so there you go.

Two new trees! Werewolf one is being added.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bane

If you're playing on PC I highly recommend using the Skyrim -Community- Uncapper by Elys.

The default settings of this plugin will unlock the skill level caps of 100 and push them to 300. This allows you character to potentially reach level 252.
    You will also get benefits from skills above level 100, up to level 400 including enchantement bonuses.
    You may also tweaks the settings of this plugin to set your own caps, to modify the experience earning rate of each skill, the relation between skill leveling and player leveling, and to change the number of perks, health points, magicka points, stamina points, "Carry Weight" points gained at a specific level up.

You can use this mod to tweak the leveling systems to the exact specs you want. You can prevent Enchanting and Blacksmithing from contributing to your character level. You can bring back Major Skills by having only the skills of your choosing contribute to your character level. You can increase your carry weight with each level up even if you choose health or magicka. It really is extremely flexible.

pogo07rt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pogo07rt

Thanks for the info on the vampire and werewolf trees. I don't think this will help me. I play a goody two shoes warrior and i never try to do anything that leans to being evil. The vampire tree wont work but i will have to see if there is any cons to the werewolf. i might be stuck at 79. (I even refuse to were Deadric Armor because of the order that starts to hunt you down. Dragon plate is good enough anyways.)

pogo07rt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pogo07rt
    sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sean2206

The Fallout NV level cap was raised with each DLC although this did make the game very unbalanced and the player extremely over-powered. So it is possible but it might make skyrim similarly unbalanced (which it already is in many ways) with it's skills and leveling system. I also think they would have mentioned a level increase in Dawnguard already if it was going to happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.