Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Do you like the new UI/HUD?

• 102 results
    bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By bioblood22
    @Unchained: Yea the 3D viewing of the items is pretty cool, I'll be wasting some time doing that.
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By A Likely Story
    @Unchained said:

@bioblood22 said:

I will say this, the world map....AMAZING might be the best world map I've seen in any game, but it's not like I've played EVERY game so I might be wrong, but to me, it's simply AWESOME.

Actually, I was coming to revisit this thread to say the same thing. I love the world map. I don't agree with the op that it will provide spoilers for what is coming up, as the map is pulled back quite far and, from what I saw, most of it was obscured by cloud cover.

I noticed that as well, but i still seems like it'll give away some things. One of the greatest aspects of this series is exploring the world, and I just think that being able to see the entire terrain just like that will hinder that experience. A paper map would allow you to see where you're heading, maybe plan a route out along some roads, and just improvise from there, facing any obstacles you come across unexpectedly. This new 3D map, however, won't allow you to do that because you'll see that mountain in your way, or that small lake, or that cliff.
    bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By bioblood22
    @Hobbies: I can see that point as well. But to me that's not a big deal, and I understand I am probably in the minority in this. To me the map looks so good that I can overlook what it might take away in surprise. But I do get your point. 
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Helimocopter

the only thing that worries me is the map, its not just the gameworld, it is complete with clouds, large, obscuring, opaque clouds

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By unchained

@Hobbies: You definitely make a compelling argument. I'm hoping most of that is obscured by clouds essentially making it a paper map. One of the things about Morrowind and Oblivion, even Fallout 3, that I loved was discovering that tiny pocket of the world that has a beautiful waterfall that you are quite sure only you and a handful of others have seen, so far is it removed from any road. I too would much prefer to leave the discovery of my explorations to me, instead of the map. But I do think Skyrim's world map is beautiful and am willing to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By bioblood22

Maybe the areas you uncover will loose the cloud cover, kinda like making the unseen seen when you uncover it....if that makes sense oddly it doesn't to me and I wrote it.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By unchained

@bioblood22: You mean like a fog of war in rts games? Interesting theory...

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Aishan
    @bioblood22@Unchained: Would make sense. That's how the world map in Morrowind worked. It was a featureless brown mass until you explore it and fill it in square-by-square.
    bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bioblood22
    @Unchained: Yea that's what I meant, couldn't think of the phrase used for it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I like the new Hud and Menus.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By Matfei90

It looks great. The only thing I'd change is the size of certain things - but that's what I'm getting the PC version for.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SomeJerk

@NeverDave: I remember first using "consolized" when Deus Ex: IW appeared, because that's what it was. Made easier to access and use, especially for a console joypad. But when things like text and numbers are taken away together with freedom and choice, something is wrong. Survey says it's all about focus tests. Morrowind had a fine system to level skills and abilities, even attributes with. Oblivion ruined that. Now we're getting something less. Bring a random dumb babby in from the street, put a joypad in his hands, "numbars am confusing, where am action"

Skyrim might end up a great game despite of this, I hope it does because I've worn out my Morrowind disc. If it doesn't, at least I will have some faith restored in the future of gaming thanks to Deus Ex Human Revolution - a game that could have been made ten years ago.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By sumbog

I like it, it's pretty darn slick I gotta say, the only thing I want to see is the ability to view my dude in his equipment before I leave the menu. Fallout 3 angered me so much because I would have to leave the menu to see my guy, realize I dont like how he looks, and then go back into the menu to change him. Also the font should be changed to comic sans..

Edit: I dont enjoy the map though

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Nasar7

I hope you can turn off the silly, Fallout-style, LOCATION DISCOVERED messages.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By bioblood22

Yea those giant messages are a bit to big and HEY YOU ARE HERE! -ish.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I don't know if you played Oblivion but the UI was terrible, I will take any UI over the old one.

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By luchadeer797

For consoles I think its fantastic, modern and sleek, but I can understand why PC players don't like it.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Aishan
    @somejerk said:

Morrowind had a fine system to level skills and abilities, even attributes with. Oblivion ruined that. Now we're getting something less. 

Morrowind and Oblivion's level-up systems are practically identical. The only difference is that there's only two categories of skills (Major and Minor) in Oblivion instead of three (Major, Minor and Misc.) and you chose less (7 instead of 5 Major/5 Minor) to affect your levelling up. 

The system they'll be using in Skyrim will actually let you level by raising any of your skills, instead of the pre-defined ones you choose at character-creation.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By MysteriousBob

Looks fantastic. Looks far better than Oblivion's generic cheap looking menus, which were clunky as hell.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

doesnt matter how it looks its gonna be my goty no matter what, my life will be gone for about 9 months

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AuthenticM

I don't agree with anything OP has said, except for the compass. Everything about the UI is slick and minimalist, which is in deep contrast to Oblivion's fat and clunky menu.

Oh, and the map... gorgeous! It reminds me a lot of Valkyrie Profile 2, another game inspired by Nordic Mythology. I love it.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Rebirth1337

I really like it. They look more modern and my style.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Looks fine to me

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By FreakAche

Anything's better than the Oblivion UI, but I wish they'd design a separate UI for the PC version.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BaneFireLord

I'm a tad annoyed that the mana, stamina and health bars aren't always on the screen. Otherwise, I'm digging it.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I like the menus, they're simple and easy to navigate and give you a better look at weapons and armor in much detail. The HUD is also kept very simple and in a place where I can always monitor my health and mana instead of in the corner where I'll lose track and possibly die because I was too busy looking at the enemy's health to notice my own.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By bioblood22

Being able to 360 the items is cool, I like doing that, and the amazing map, those two things can make up for any short comings the rest of the HUD and such may have.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Crocio

I honestly don't care because there will be mods for this thing.

ToxikPandaKoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79  Edited By ToxikPandaKoi

well the game doesn't come out for a while. there are probably changes to be made. this is probably why they showed a video of this in the first place. for feedback! :)

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#80  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I really really like that. 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#81  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It looks slick. Certainly better than the fairly bloated UI of Oblivion. And although it's kind of pithy, not a huge fan of the font. They could do with making it a little more... "Fantasy"

TehCHef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TehCHef

It's not the clunky crap that was in Oblivion and Fallout 3 so I'm happy with it.
    FrakesFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FrakesFace

Everyone who's had an extended look at the game said the menus look awesome, so, I dunno. You can look at the shield. Rotate that Golden Dragon Claw. Yeah. Yeah!

animaltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By animaltime

I don't mind that it departs from the ugly-ass generic scroll-and-serif theme we've seen in every RPG since the dawn of time. The sans serif typeface may not be appropriate for the genre, but at this point I really couldn't give a damn about staying true to generic medieval/LoTR tripe.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BonOrbitz

@eroticfishcake said:

If I remember correctly, Todd Howard did say that the interface was inspired by Apple products and I can see where the influence is. It looks sharper and slicker then Oblivion was at the cost of appearing less fantasy-like. Overall, I like it but as I keep saying, if they're are problems then you've got mod tools to sort it out.

I hope modders will fix this. Though I'm an Apple fan, I feel the aesthetic strips away any character from the menus and actually takes me out of the game. Instead of looking appropriately fantasy-like, Skyrim's interface looks like it can appear in any game from any other genre. It's too contemporary-looking for this game, in my opinion. Also, I don't feel Futura Condensed doesn't belong anywhere in an Elder Scrolls UI.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By shinigami420

NOOOOOO

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#87  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I find that I either want fast/slick interfaces OR completely 'real' ones. The fake book stuff found in stuff like oblivion is in between and doesn't make me feel good at all when navigating it's mess. Give me what Skyrim is doing, or give me what Metro 2033 does with it's map being a real in-game item etc, anything else is lame and feels old.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SomeJerk

I like my interface to fit the game I'm playing, and that kind of thing takes me out of the game. The PS3 interface is very kind to keeping you "in the game" whereas you have no idea how disturbed I am with the 360 interfaces over the years (and I have a few days total spent playing 360s over the years, it still ticks me off), to make a console example, and I do think the Wii one handles it well.

Deus Ex Human Revolution, Star Ocean Last Hope, APB Reloaded, Battlefield Bad Company 2, those are four examples of recent games that have interfaces that suit them. On the fantasy RPG side of things, look at World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Rift, Morrowind, they have interface design relating to the game. If I say anything more in this paragraph of text I'd be insulting the people responsible for the Skyrim UI design.

Skyrim is with it's interface is an Assassin's Creed game. It's telling me that I am a player living in the future, and that the "game" is simply my experiences when wet-wired into the genetic memories of an ancestor's magical past.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Gargantuan

It looks better than Oblivions and Fallout 3 super clunky UI. I hope you can press J to instantly open the journal and I to instantly open the inventory.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Clean and functional is always a good thing, I do like this new UX.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By sreya92
    @eroticfishcake: exactly what I thought. Oblivion had a menu with a fantasy flavor too it albeit it sucked a scrotum. As to the op complaining about the map, you can only see parts that you've been to, from what I could tell, regions and places you haven't been to remain covered in clouds. I don't think it'll harm immersion too much
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#92  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I've said it time and time again. As long as the level scaling system is gone or modified, they could put Hitler in the game and order you to help him for all i care. And the UI looks fine, if someone doesn't like it they can change with a mod.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By bioblood22

Having looked at it some more I'm leaning to liking it.

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mordi

I get a more "futuristic" or "modern" feel from the UI. I love a good medieval/fantasy-style interface, like the ones in older RPGs. Baldur's Gate and Diablo for example. At least it's functional and sleek.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By fjordson

Looks fantastic.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By geirr

I don't remember TES ever having a nice UI so to speak, I'm always hoping though!

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By valrog

What's up with the Aero-like GUIs lately? In a goddamn Medieval Fantasy setting. Really killing the atmosphere for me.

Frenchie108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Frenchie108

I actually really like the new UI, i just hope that it'll work better with consoles than the Oblivion's terrible UI

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Dragon_Fire

I like the 3-D Map reminds me a lot of Just Cause 2 & I like that map.
    HUD looks fine.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#100  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

You know, i remember the Oblivion HUD...wait, no, that's right, i downloaded that UI mod as soon as i saw it and i never went back to the old HUD cause it sucked. That being said, the new HUD looks pretty sweet to me, and i don't think i will need a mod for it anytime soon. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.