Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Do you like the new UI/HUD?

• 102 results
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By A Likely Story

I honestly hate the new HUD. For starters, I don't like the compass being on the top of the screen, but with those massive health/mana/stamina bars on bottom there'd be nowhere else to put it. Speaking of which, when I first heard that the interface would fade away when it wasn't needed I thought, oh, that's cool, but now that I've seen it in action it seems really annoying. Maybe that's because everything is so big and just doesn't at all really fit the whole rugged Skyrim theme. Also, can't forget the big ass text popping up every time you level up or find a new location or whatever. 

Not at all crazy about the menus, either. Here's a video clip of them from the G4 demo, slowed down:

Don't like the compass. Call me lazy, but I like the tab system from past Elder Scrolls games that allowed me to quickly jump from map, to inventory, to spells, to journal, etc. Now I have to back out to the compass every time I want to get to a different menu. Small annoyance, but still, why would they want to make us navigate through unnecessary menus? I suppose the whole 3D object manipulation is cool, but once again the inventory system returns with a list, and now you can see even less at one time than you could in Oblivion. And while the whole skill tree constellations are different and all, it just seems like a pointless attempt to make the menu extra flashy, when really I don't think anyone really gives a damn about it. I think most people just want a simple, yet informative and fluid menu system that functions well and looks clean. 

The map, however is my biggest complaint. A total immersion killer. When I'm planning a route a complete 3D map completely ruins the exploration aspect because I can see exactly what lies ahead of me! I don't want to see everything before I've actually seen it, you know? GIVE ME A PAPER MAP. Again, this is just flashy nonsense, and the fact that I have to load it up each time I wanna just look my journal is even more frustrating. 

Hopefully the modding community will be able to clean this all up quickly, because I'd like to play as little of Skyrim as possible with this crappy interface.
    dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dillonwerner

Get PC version, get mods, change the size, ????. profit. 

But yeah I agree.  I would have liked a normal HUD, but nothing will stop me from molesting this game.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By slax

I really like the sleek design of the menus. I think they look really nice and will hopefully make everything easy to manage.

As for the HUD i'm using a more wait and see approach. I'll play it and see how I feel, as of right now it could go either way.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TheHBK

It looks good to me, except for the compass being at the top, with you on that.  And a little weary about the map.  I think its cool to see everything and all, probably helps navigating, but i kinda like a plain old map.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By KarlPilkington

I just assumed that was a placeholder HUD.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By gike987

I use a mod on the PC version of oblivion that makes the bars fade away. It's only annoying for a minute or two before you get used to it and after that it's much better because it makes the screen less cluttered.
    The only thing I dislike is the map, I much prefer a 2d map.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By project343

Looks absolutely fantastic so far. Aesthetically, it's a perfect blend of stylish, sleek, functional, and still has a few winks and nods to the fantasy theme of the game. 

Derailing this off the topic of Oblivion for a second... Kingdoms of Amalur looks great, but THAT game needs a new UI. Suppose the game is still far off, and (this applies to Skyrim as well) I know that UI is something that constantly changes throughout development. 

NinjaInfoCards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NinjaInfoCards

I love the look of the new UI, looks a lot more streamlined and manageable than Oblivion's (which was only tameable with BTMod). That said, I can see how it might be less quick and efficient and would have to actually play the game and use it to pass further judgment. As for the compass, I don't really care where it is, top of the screen looked fine to me. And I'm assuming there will be an option for the HUD elements to always be visible even when not in use, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

I have to agree that I preferred the plainer map, it did help with immersion. But if you're playing on PC that shouldn't be a problem. Meanwhile I am way to excited for this game to let the UI hinder my enthuiasm.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

menus 
    shrug 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10  Edited By natetodamax

I think it's great. The 3D map and the constellation menu especially are way cool.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@DillonWerner said:

Get PC version, get mods, change the size, ????. profit. But yeah I agree. I would have liked a normal HUD, but nothing will stop me from molesting this game.

Or just run it at somethign higher than 720 and it'll probably be smaller. The Oblivion stuff was huge at 720 as well, but at 1080+ it was a reasonable size. When you are on a couch (and the 360 version was shown, I believe) you want bigger stuff.

@Hobbies: I do kind of agree with the map, but I still think the map is really cool. I'll probably mod that, but we'll see.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Subjugation

That is so much cleaner that Oblivion and Morrowind's menu interfaces. I think it looks great and I'll be elated if it fixes the problem of menu navigation being downright clunky. Sorry man, not feeling your hate on this one.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Looks great.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I like the constellation skill trees a lot. Don't really see what's wrong with it. The map thing I kind of agree with you on. I'd much rather have a regular old paper map than something that sort of gives away areas before I even visit them.

However, I really hate the menus and especially the font style used for everything. It looks incredibly bland, like placeholder stuff rather than final UI elements. I'm hoping that's actually what it is. I rather liked the inventory/map screen system they had in Oblivion and Fallout, and I see no real reason to change it, apart from fixing a few navigation issues. That stuff is a real shame, because literally everything else about the game looks stellar.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By JoeyRavn

Looks very nice, very streamlined... but very "un-RPG", if you ask me. I don't think it blends so well with the overall aesthetics of the game. But it certainly looks pretty on its own.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks horrible. There's no beauty or detail on it that portrays any sense of fantasy or role-playing tones. I fucking FUCKING hate how these developers are simplifying shit for these stupid kids that are plaguing this damned industry.

The 3D objects look good, however.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By beforet

Only thing I don't really like is that the weapon and armor list does not seems very mouse friendly. Definitely built for a gamepad. Overall it seems fine and it has a nice aesthetic, but I'll probably still mod elements of it all the same.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By A Likely Story
    @JoeyRavn said:

Looks very nice, very streamlined... but very "un-RPG", if you ask me. I don't think it blends so well with the overall aesthetics of the game. But it certainly looks pretty on its own.

That's a good way to put it. 

@NinjaInfoCards said:

And I'm assuming there will be an option for the HUD elements to always be visible even when not in use, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I can't decide which is worse...having the huge, terrible HUD constantly fading in and out, or having it cluttering up my screen permanently.  :P
    Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twitchey

I like the new menus. They seem more modern and sleek. The fade away system is really ingenious, if I have full health/magicka/stamina I don't need the bar on my screen to remind me, but if I have half health then I want the reminder before I take on a dragon.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eroticfishcake

If I remember correctly, Todd Howard did say that the interface was inspired by Apple products and I can see where the influence is. It looks sharper and slicker then Oblivion was at the cost of appearing less fantasy-like. Overall, I like it but as I keep saying, if they're are problems then you've got mod tools to sort it out.

MyNameIsJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MyNameIsJoe

It looks really good; very clear and easy to navigate quickly.

Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dejkrigeren

I like Morrowind where you could set up your ui so everything just got plastered on your screen when you hit whatever key it was. It meantt that you didn't have to navigate any menus.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By A Likely Story
    @eroticfishcake said:
    If I remember correctly, Todd Howard did say that the interface was inspired by Apple products
    Ah, there's the problem.
    TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheChaos

Mods

Avatar image for hafizlorfeast58
    hafizlorfeast58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hafizlorfeast58

Lol. Maybe they should make a game with options to close the compass, change the HUD, change the map and so on. Maybe people will become really happy.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SomeJerk

Deus Ex HR has gotten its HUD done right but I'm ready to call this a dumbed down consolized easymode rig and point everybody towards Morrowind.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Bollard

I really hope you can turn that stupid freaking compass off. I mean, the whole HUD was designed around the important things fading in and out only when you need them (which is really cool), but having that ugly ass compass there all the time is totally the opposite of that? If you're gunna try and make a cinematic experience with no clutter don't change your mind about the compass!  

Also, loads of people hate the thing anyways, so I can't imagine they'd leave it untoggleable. Otherwise: mods.  

Anyone else think that clairvoyance spell is a bit stupid too?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Chavtheworld said:
    I really hope you can turn that stupid freaking compass off. I mean, the whole HUD was designed around the important things fading in and out only when you need them (which is really cool), but having that ugly ass compass there all the time is totally the opposite of that? If you're gunna try and make a cinematic experience with no clutter don't change your mind about the compass!   Also, loads of people hate the thing anyways, so I can't imagine they'd leave it untoggleable. Otherwise: mods.   Anyone else think that clairvoyance spell is a bit stupid too?
    Does the clairvoyance spell mean we don't constantly have a Jack Sparrow style compass that always points towards each objective?  I loved in Morrowind when you'd only be giving directions and have to find things for yourself, especially towards the end of the game and you were traveling between the different Ashland camps.  Oblivion was no where near as rewarding and it felt like a much smaller and simpler game..  if we have the option of using a spell, instead of always having a big arrow to follow, I'll be very happy.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

I'm a little more concerned with the inventory system.  I like being able to see what my character looks like in a piece of armor or clothing before returning to the game proper.  I didn't get that sense from the above video if that's still an option. 

@DillonWerner said:

Get PC version, get mods, change the size, ????. profit.  But yeah I agree.  I would have liked a normal HUD, but nothing will stop me from molesting this game.

Yeah, that's another reason why I will get the PC version.  My current Oblivion has an modified UI and HUD to include an on screen mini-map and clock. 
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Bollard
    @WinterSnowblind: Have you played Dead Space? You know when you held like RB or Back or something and you got a line on the floor which showed you EXACTLY where to go? Yeah it's that. 

So no, it won't be like Morrowind. No directions. No fun finding anything.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Looks good, I just hope the PC version gets its own UI this time. Was a bit ridiculous when Oblivion launched.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By phrosnite

Hell no. Consoletard UI. Oblivion's was also bad.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MeierTheRed

Looks modern and sleek,  but i'm not sure i want that kind of feel for this game. If that makes any sense.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By unchained

I think the interface looks fantastic.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bioblood22

Idk it seems like something you might have to get used to. Never the less I am getting this game even if I have to for some strange reason sell a kidney to get it, and if there's a collectors edition or w.e I am getting that, I did with Oblivion and to me it was worth it, menus, or a HUD doesn't matter to me when it comes to living in a piece of TES. Bring on Skyrim I cannot wait! 

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By haggis

I like the interface as shown. Oblivion's interface worked, but it was a huge hassle. Now, it's hard to make too many judgments based on what they show here, but I think it looks nice and will function well enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Deus Ex HR has gotten its HUD done right but I'm ready to call this a dumbed down consolized easymode rig and point everybody towards Morrowind.

@phrosnite said:

Hell no. Consoletard UI. Oblivion's was also bad.

Is this still a thing? PC Users assuming anyone that holds a joypad is a cretin or something…

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By phrosnite
    @NeverDave: The game has been in development for over 3 years. Couldn't they make a PC specific UI? Now that retarded on their part.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By pweidman

The menus are great including the 3D map, HUD not so much. The 3 big bars at the bottom seem too big and too distracting. Less is more for me w/on screen stuff during gameplay. Bet it'll have options. Also, when on a bigscreen tv it'll seem less obtrusive maybe. The team will probably iterate on this stuff lots before Sept.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Hizang

I really think its a good design, although I personally found no issues with the Oblivion menu system, which I know alot of people did.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By phrosnite

Also what the f happened to the fantasy themed UI in fantasy games?

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bioblood22
    @phrosnite: That's a good point, it doesn't really fit the theme but I don't think it'll ruin the game, not saying you're saying that though.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By grilledcheez

I'm not sure what to make of it just yet, I feel like I'll have to get my hands on it before I can really say what I think of it. That music though...AMAZING.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I like it.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phrosnite
    @bioblood22 said:
    @phrosnite: That's a good point, it doesn't really fit the theme but I don't think it'll ruin the game, not saying you're saying that though.
    It won't ruin the game for sure but it's the little things that make a good game great.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By Aishan
    @phrosnite said:
    Themed UIs are weird. They can't be considered immersive, because the very nature of a UI is unimmervive - a UI is needed to show things that can't be shown contextually within the game world. I'd rather that they had something that was easy to use and navigate, presenting all the information to you that you're looking for rather than forcing a theme in expense of usability or clarity.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hockeymask27

I kind of like it.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bioblood22

I will say this, the world map....AMAZING might be the best world map I've seen in any game, but it's not like I've played EVERY game so I might be wrong, but to me, it's simply AWESOME.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SlashDance

@phrosnite said:

This.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By unchained

@bioblood22 said:

I will say this, the world map....AMAZING might be the best world map I've seen in any game, but it's not like I've played EVERY game so I might be wrong, but to me, it's simply AWESOME.

Actually, I was coming to revisit this thread to say the same thing. I love the world map. I don't agree with the op that it will provide spoilers for what is coming up, as the map is pulled back quite far and, from what I saw, most of it was obscured by cloud cover.

Looking up to the stars and building your own constellation as your character progresses is a very cool idea as well, as constellations have played a significant role since the inception of the Elder Scrolls games. I remember wandering around while playing Daggerfall way back in 1996 and being in awe of the night sky, then my awe increased as I recognized the constellations I'd seen during character creation. The system they have in Skyrim gives weight to the fact that your character is so epic, he is forging his own constellation.

I love the way they did the inventory where you can look at the items, even the trivial ones, and inspect them visually.

tl;dr - I like the interface a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.