Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

First two Skyrim DLC packs heading to Xbox 360 first

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Linky to Joystiq

Thoughts? I, personally, don't like it so I'll be passing on Skyrim for the time being. I have plenty of other games I want just as much if not more anyway.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Arker101

Dragon Armor as DLC, I'm calling it. 

What about PC, are they also going to have to wait a month or more for DLC? This seems kind of annoying.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

That's a little annoying. But then again it's not like every piece of DLC for Oblivion was great plus it's a long, long game to play so I doubt I'll be wanting it any time soon. Not to mention the fact that I'll be playing it on the PC anyway (Read: Mods).

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss

I assume the game will be big enough that I won't even bother with DLC (at least for a long time - as in years).

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Arker101 said:

Dragon Armor as DLC, I'm calling it. What about PC, are they also going to have to wait a month or more for DLC? This seems kind of annoying.

They said "substantial". I imagine the DLC will be similar to what we saw with Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

And yeah, the PC will have to wait as well. But at least it is only timed exclusives, I don't mind waiting to get it. I always wait for DLC to drop in price any way, I'm yet to play any that justified its price.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maluvin

It's cool.  That stuff costs too much on release anyways.  I although I'll be buying  this one at release I'll probably follow my usual pattern of rebuying it in a GOTY collection with all of the DLC/expansions down the line rofl.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Franstone
    @ProfessorEss said:

I assume the game will be big enough that I won't even bother with DLC (at least for a long time - as in years).

Exactly... 
    With all the other games coming out (BF3, Rage, Gears3, Forza4 for me) they will probably have 4 DLCs out on PC before I'm even ready for them.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

Same old dance ... MS should use the money to produce some actual exclusive games instead of throwing it out for something as lame as exclusive DLC. (I know Sony to a lesser degree is guilty of this as well)

I blows my mind how much money they gave RS for the GTA episodes, for example. 50 million $ just for a year of exclusivity! This could've been another AAA game!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@CptBedlam said:

Same old dance ... MS should use the money to produce some actual exclusive games instead of throwing it out for something as lame as exclusive DLC. (I know Sony to a lesser degree is guilty of this as well)

Sony seem to do it a lot more these days. It usually stays exclusive with them as well, which is much worse.

Definitely agree that they should be funding more studios with this money instead though. How about creating a new studio that could create a game like the Elder Scrolls for them that would be 100% exclusive? That might sell consoles.. having DLC 2 months early will not.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Muerthoz

All these timed exclusives do is make the DLC come out when I've already gotten what I wanted out of a game and moved on to another game. I'm OK with not spending more money.  Maybe I'll wait to buy it used and save even more money. Why pay full price for a game that's already talking about DLC before it's been launched.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

@WinterSnowblind: Sony definitely catched up to MS with buying exclusive DLC (Batman or MK stuff comes to mind). But MS still has the lead in this questionable category with the Modern Warfare mappacks and everything. It's just lame and makes them look like they can't come up with anything on their own.

MS probably thinks their customers highly appreciate exclusive DLC when in reality they don't give a shit about the fact that the PS3 guys have to wait a few weeks to play a bunch of new MP maps. At least I don't.

Man, MS is doing a lot of stuff I don't like these days (excluding games that are not exclusive, Kinect, etc). I should just buy a PS3 and give them the finger.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Storms

Was that Batman DLC timed exclusive? 

In the end, that one month won't matter so much in a game as big as Skyrim. Still, it irks me a little bit; Microsoft should just buy Bethesda and be done with it if they're going to keep paying them little by little to shaft PS3 owners just for teh LULZ.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I'm probably not even going to worry about DLC for quite some time. The game itself seems like it will have more than enough content out of the box.

I wouldn't pass up a full game because I can't have access to the DLC right away. That's just silly.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm speechless 

I am without speech

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Personally I will wait for the sales. But whether you like it or not this will probably contribute to the game selling the most on the 360. Bethesda Soft games always do.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I love talking about DLC before the game is out...

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By bioblood22

Not a big deal, the game is huge and offers enough to easily pass 30 days. 

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as they release another construction set I can manage without DLC.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SomeJerk

We'll manage, it's not like we lack exclusive non-DLC titles or anything.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Nasar7
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@CptBedlam said:

Sony seem to do it a lot more these days. It usually stays exclusive with them as well, which is much worse..

Sometimes it might not be Sony's fault... http://www.giantbomb.com/news/if-you-publish-on-psn-first-microsoft-aint-interested/3613/
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cap123

I'm a 360 user so i'm not unhappy about this but it still stinks. fuck off microsoft.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dany

Microsoft tends to do this commonly enough so it is knida expected but 30 days is not a lot of time

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By spazmaster666

Not surprising at all. This exactly what they did with Fallout 3 and New Vegas (though from what I remember, this really only affected the PS3 versions since the DLC came to the PC at around the same time as the 360; the one exception is Dead Money, which was 360 exclusive for a couple of months). I'll be playing the 360 version first anyway so I won't have an issue with it (I'm probably not going to get the PC version until there are some good mods out for it).

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By babblinmule

A game like Skyrim is going to be so big, that I'll have burnt myself out by the time the DLC comes out. So when i... unburn myself (im so eloquent), I can buy the dlc at a reduced price! :)

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Stahlbrand

Same as with Fallout. I really don't care much. I don't figure I'll be that badly off having to wait a little for DLC. PC, user-created content, etc etc...

I'll probably mainline Skyrim so much that I'll need to take a break after a month (and play SR3, BatmanAC, etc) before coming back to it. That was how I played Obliv and FO3 - cycles of focus and time away.

Edit: Also, you know... They've had trouble with DLC launches in many cases, I played FO3 on 360, and I don't think any of the DLC packs dropped without some kinda problem - exclusive beta testing?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By mosdl

There is a difference between skins being platform exlusive and a expansion (which I assume is what Skyrim DLC is).

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Won't sway my PC purchase. Patience is a virtue.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @PrimeSynergy said:

Linky to Joystiq

Thoughts? I, personally, don't like it so I'll be passing on Skyrim for the time being. I have plenty of other games I want just as much if not more anyway.

Really..did you play any other Beth games? Or any major games in the alst 5 years? They all got DLC first on 360...
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By Hector

That sucks, though the game will be long enough that when I'm done I'll be able to access the DLC on my PS3.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spoonman671

Hmm, how will I ever fill that extra 30 days without DLC?  Oh, maybe I'll play hundreds of hours of Skyrim!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Generally speaking, Bethesda DLC has been super hit/miss as far as quality goes, and now that I have a computer capable of playing modern games I still might get the PC version. For every Point Lookout, there's always a Mothership Zeta or Operation Anchorage. Still a better quality and dollar/hour ratio than Bioware, all things considered.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sreya92

The game isn't even out yet and they're talking DLC...wow. Why don't you make sure your game isn't bugtastic first

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Storms
    @ArbitraryWater said:

Generally speaking, Bethesda DLC has been super hit/miss as far as quality goes, and now that I have a computer capable of playing modern games I still might get the PC version. For every Point Lookout, there's always a Mothership Zeta or Operation Anchorage. Still a better quality and dollar/hour ratio than Bioware, all things considered.

And then for every MZ and OA there's a Shivering Isles and Bloodmoon. Overall they do great  expansions. Only one I outright thought was bad was Operation Anchorage -- bo-ring. 

@Spoonman671: Well-done sarcasm is well-done.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@Arker101 said:

Dragon Armor as DLC, I'm calling it. What about PC, are they also going to have to wait a month or more for DLC? This seems kind of annoying.

They said "substantial". I imagine the DLC will be similar to what we saw with Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

And yeah, the PC will have to wait as well. But at least it is only timed exclusives, I don't mind waiting to get it. I always wait for DLC to drop in price any way, I'm yet to play any that justified its price.

They said  that they weren't  making lot's of small DLC but they are making big expansions I believe? don't know if I am right or not.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By grilledcheez

Fine by me

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwilitEnd656

There's nothing Microsoft could ever do to make me get the game on anything other than the PC.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Storms
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Stahlbrand

@TwilitEnd656 said:

There's nothing Microsoft could ever do to make me get the game on anything other than the PC.

...powered by MICROSOFT WINDOWS! Duhn dun duuuun

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Doesn't effect me at all since I'll be grabbing it for the 360. :/

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By captain_clayman

fucking why.  it's ok, it's ok...dont rage...i'll probably still be playing the main game content by the time the DLC comes out on PC anyways.  well...i'm most likely not getting it till christmas anyways so i guess i'm cool with it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oldirtybearon

good thing I'm buying this for the 360 first.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shiftymagician

Perhaps Bethesda are playing it safe knowing that according to some press reports Microsoft could potentially deny allowing a game to come to its console if it doesn't either get exclusive content (timed or otherwise) or contains the same feature set as its competitors.  Also, this game is going to be long, I can wait anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.