Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

I hope they have gauntlets for hand-to-hand

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sreya92

It'd be sick to be able to upgrade hand to hand with at least some decent equipment, like spiked knuckles, poisoned gauntlets, chains, etc.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

@sreya92 said:

It'd be sick to be able to upgrade hand to hand with at least some decent equipment, like spiked knuckles, poisoned gauntlets, chains, etc.

Yeah, you could do it in Fallout and it's not like most of the tech there (brass knuckles) were particularly sci-fi or modernish, and you could change something like the Power fist to be magic instead of tech based and make it look different. It would be awesome, I always loved the feel of hand to hand in Bethesda games.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Forever

I have bad news for you then... they are  removing hand to hand from Skyrim. Not only that but they made all armor pieces one item so I doubt you would be able to customize your gauntlets. They are making some stupid choices.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Red
    @Forever: Where did you hear they were removing hand to hand? Plus, the gauntlets he's talking about wouldn't be armor gauntlets, but weapons, so they would still be in there.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TotalEklypse

Big pointy spikes.. or like maybe ram horns to punch some foreheads with. 

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Three0neFive

I don't know very much about Elder Scrolls lore, but it'd be cool to have something like the Nemean Cestus

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Forever
    @Red: I think it originally came from either an e3 demo or podcast with Tod Howard. I just remember hearing it from a lot of angry forum posts and a few other news sites. They supposedly removed hand to hand, mysticism, athletics and acrobatics. I'm sure you could find a source somewhere.
    sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sreya92
    @Forever: Actually, from what I remember they didn't remove hand to hand at all. They just grouped it in with other skills. And the armor hasn't been consolidated into one item à la Mass Effect, it's just that the greaves are now part of the cuirass due to rendering issues and the framerate. When I find the link to the video I'll post it.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DystopiaX

@Forever said:

@Red: I think it originally came from either an e3 demo or podcast with Tod Howard. I just remember hearing it from a lot of angry forum posts and a few other news sites. They supposedly removed hand to hand, mysticism, athletics and acrobatics. I'm sure you could find a source somewhere.

I know for sure that mysticism, athletics, and acrobatics were just folded into more general skills or other trees, so the same probably happened with Hand to hand (probably with melee as well?)

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JP_Russell

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim 

"Skyrim will feature eighteen skills (four of the removed skills are Hand to Hand, Mysticism, Athletics, and Acrobatics). Sixteen skills have been confirmed: Speechcraft, Alchemy, Illusion, Conjuration, Destruction, Restoration, Alteration, Enchanting, Smithing, Heavy Armor, Block, Two Handed, One Handed, Archery, Light Armor, and Sneak." 

Security is probably one of the remaining two skills.  The other seems likely to be either mercantile, or a new skill for the dragon shouts.  If it's mercantile, then archery might be a combat skill now instead of stealth (Combat - One-handed, Two-handed, Heavy Armor, Block, Smithing, Archery; Stealth - Security, Sneak, Light Armor, Alchemy, Speechcraft, Mercantile; Magic - Enchanting, Illusion, Conjuration, Destruction, Restoration, Aleration).  If it's a dragon shout skill, then archery is probably still stealth and the dragon shouts would be combat (can't be magic since there are already six confirmed magic skills).  My money's on mercantile (ha).

It seems unlikely to me that Skyrim won't have any bare-handed combat capabiilty in it at all, since they can't just have you be completely defenseless if you for some reason didn't have a weapon in working condition on you, weren't a mage, and didn't know any dragon shouts.  However, I don't think they're going to fold it into the one-handed or two-handed skills, but rather they'll just leave it very muted as a last resort means of defending yourself.  In that case, the damage of your punches might still be modified by your stamina stat (since it's basically also the strength stat, determining your encumberance on top of your fatigue), but outside of that, I don't see it being given any kind of special attention, and I don't see an item that buffs your bare-handed damage being in the game as anything other than a gag, if at all. 

Not that it matters too much to me, since mods will take care of that sort of thing regardless.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By august

Hand to hand is out.

Merry Christmas.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn

Because 1st person hand to hand works great...

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I actually wouldn't mind that, Once I discovered that beating the shit out of things with your bare fists in Oblivion was a viable strategy that is always the first thing I tried.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Mikemcn said:

I don't see why it has any less potential than first-person melee weapons.  Most devs that have tried to do it simply lack imagination and game design sense.  Zeno Clash had a pretty good hand-to-hand combat system in place, but unfortunately, the actual game structure and the design of the scenarios weren't as conducive to it as they needed to be.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By xpgamer7

I didn't mind the first person melee combat as much as the bow and arrows. I see no reason for it to be taken out.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cheesebob

Could Hand to Hand be considered a two handed weapon? After all, you are using both hands...

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Forever said:
    I have bad news for you then... they are  removing hand to hand from Skyrim. Not only that but they made all armor pieces one item so I doubt you would be able to customize your gauntlets. They are making some stupid choices.
    They didn't make armor pieces all one item, they just combined cuirass with another armor piece if i remember correctly. 
    As for the stupid choices, i never used hand to hand in Oblivion, so it's not a big problem for me, it's stupid that they removed athleticism and acrobatics though, but overall, it seems a step up from Oblivion. 
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JP_Russell
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    @Forever said:
    They didn't make armor pieces all one item, they just combined cuirass with another armor piece if i remember correctly. As for the stupid choices, i never used hand to hand in Oblivion, so it's not a big problem for me, it's stupid that they removed athleticism and acrobatics though, but overall, it seems a step up from Oblivion. 

They've made the armor/clothing the same as in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so you have head apparel and body apparel.  The cuirass/shirt, greaves/pants, boots/shoes, and gauntlets/gloves (or any potential lack thereof, depending on the outfit) are all folded into one item in Skyrim.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Aishan
    @JP_Russell said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Forever said:
    They didn't make armor pieces all one item, they just combined cuirass with another armor piece if i remember correctly. As for the stupid choices, i never used hand to hand in Oblivion, so it's not a big problem for me, it's stupid that they removed athleticism and acrobatics though, but overall, it seems a step up from Oblivion. 
    They've made the armor/clothing the same as in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so you have head apparel and body apparel.  The cuirass/shirt, greaves/pants, boots/shoes, and gauntlets/gloves (or any potential lack thereof, depending on the outfit) are all folded into one item in Skyrim.
    That is simply not true. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzP3jkBKCVA @ ~3:50 you can clearly see Armor, Boots, Gauntlets and Helmets as different items.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeJerk

Good, because I'll be out of money from BF3 and splurging on a big fat new graphics card.

Morrowind reinstall #14, here I come.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mikemcn said:

Might i introduce you to a little thing called Zenoclash?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By mikemcn

@Jethuty said:

@Mikemcn said:

Thats the only game i've ever seen to get it right though, its just always so awkward, I never played Oblivion so I really don't know how it was in that game, but from my experience with Fallout 3, Mount and Blade, TF2 and New vegas, punching things in 1st person is just strange.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mikemcn said:

@Jethuty said:

@Mikemcn said:

Thats the only game i've ever seen to get it right though, its just always so awkward, I never played Oblivion so I really don't know how it was in that game, but from my experience with Fallout 3, Mount and Blade, TF2 and New vegas, punching things in 1st person is just strange.

Mirrors Edge in my oppinion did it really well aswell. But yeah i agree with you on that one.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Aishan said:
    @JP_Russell said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Forever said:
    That is simply not true. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzP3jkBKCVA @ ~3:50 you can clearly see Armor, Boots, Gauntlets and Helmets as different items.

My mistake, I misremembered.  I do recall reading an interview quote somewhere (or maybe it was in a video interview) that said they were doing apparel more like how Fallout 3 did it, and must have gotten that confused. 

This is good to know, in any case.  I was a little confused why they would reduce apparel to two pieces while simultaneously bringing back enchanting as a skill.
    bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By bioblood22

I hope they have Death Claw gauntlets!..wait....ah crap DAMN YOU BETHESDA!!!!!!!!! 

dirkfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dirkfunk

If there is no hand to hand. . . I will be pissed off.

A thief that uses no weapons was my favorite character in Oblivion. I loved creeping on people and uppercutting the back of their heads.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

All of the examples you gave are the opposite of what I, and I think most ES fans, want in the game.

That said I wouldn't mind some combat focused gauntlets. But truth be told, if they are more than just gloves, they should just do extra damage. I wanna say in Oblivion better gauntlets or heavy gauntlets or somethign improved hand to hand damage but I could be totally off on that.

@Forever said:

I have bad news for you then... they are removing hand to hand from Skyrim. Not only that but they made all armor pieces one item so I doubt you would be able to customize your gauntlets. They are making some stupid choices.

Your info is wrong. There are fewer armor pieces, but it is NOT all one piece. I can't remember what they were combining together, but it ends up being like 3 armor slots +shield. Actually I wanna say it is just legs and torso that were combines, and it was just for making the armor sets easier to complete and helping avoid the WoW rainbow effect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.