Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Joining Legion in Skyrim

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hector

Are their any effects by joining Legion will I not be allowed in some towns ex. Windhelm or Riften and miss out on some quests by being Legion?

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zidane_24

I joined the Stormcloaks and I'm still allowed in Solitude, but Windhelm seems like its Br weird if you were with the Imperials.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By matthias2437

No you are still aloud to go to every town. You may be treated poorly in Windhelm but you can still go.

CaptainKay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CaptainKay

I really feel conflicted about this choice. So far I've just left the whole conflict alone. I should probably just man up and join the Stormcloaks, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Legion is in Skyrim?

Dragonborn-Commander, we are ready to exchange data.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

As far as I can tell, everything is the same. Noone in Windheim even seems to notice or care that I'm in the legion and have sacked their fortresses left and right.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

Literally the only thing that I have seen in the game that has helped me decide between the two factions was one piece of throwaway dialogue. I'm playing as an Orc, and the Orc blacksmith in the Jarl's palace in Markarth says that the Orcs have always got on well with the empire, which makes me think that I should sign up with the Legion.

Obviously if you're playing a Nord, you might feel a certain obligation to fight for Skyrim's liberation from the laws of both the Empire and the Altmeri Dominion, but as a foreigner in Skyrim, I don't have that kind of investment in one faction over another.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Leptok
    @Atlas

Well, they did have you tied up ready to get your head chopped off...
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

I've just joined the imperials and have been allowed in Windhelm, but nobody liked me.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I killed your emperor.

Fucker.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

You can join any team and go with any town. Plus if they treat your poorly in WIldhelm take solace in the fact that you're with the Empire and you will steamroll them if they try anything fancy.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By NickLott

Just want to double check, I haven't joined either faction, is there a way to find a mutual compromise between the two groups or is it definitely one or the other?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jimbo

Anybody else feel like the intro should have been more faction neutral?  It's kinda hard to justify having your character join the Legion after they try to execute you for no reason.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

I like the going neutral route; both sides are messed up. I wish you had the option to rule Skyrim.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Cincaid

I as well have been putting off joining either sides since I'm afraid I'll ruin potential quests. But if I understand things correctly it really doesn't affect the world around you when you join either side? After the war-quests, will things go back to "normal", or will various NPCs refuse to talk to me or ask for my help?

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By owl_of_minerva

@Cincaid: It has no affect at all that I can tell, except for a changing of the guard and perhaps new Jarls after the old ones are deposed. You can even do the exact same quests from the new Jarls.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Barrabas

I'd just say if anyone is wanting to stay neutral but afraid they're missing out on a good series of quests in the game, don't worry. I just finished the stormcloaks side and it was by far the least interesting quest arc I've done in the game thus far. The other major ones I've completed being The Companions, College of Magic, and main quest. Unless you want the achievments/trophies I don't think this quest arc is really worth doing.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Cincaid

@owl_of_minerva: Thank you so much for putting my doubts to rest! :)

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By owl_of_minerva

@NickLott: I believe you can negotiate a peace if you follow the main questline without committing to either side of the conflict beforehand.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By CenturionCajun

@owl_of_minerva: Peace is only declared until the end of the Main Quest line. Once that whole mess is sorted out the Imperials and Stormcloaks go back to murdering one another.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Skyrider

@Jimbo: I thought that at first, but the more I thought about it, the easier it became. Even in the opening scene the Stormcloak guys are cursing the Thalmor, but If Skyrim were to separate from the Empire, that's a huge advantage the Thalmor have over both of them.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By CenturionCajun

There are also certain documents you come across in the Thalmor Embassy which solidly made me side with the Imperials.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Could argue it either way really. A Nordic Skyrim is going to be much more hostile to the Thalmor and likely to declare war with them, maybe even drag the Empire into it. Having Talos stricken from the pantheon of gods is an insult to humanity, particularly to the Nords. Also, the ultimate goal of the Thalmor is the genocide of the human races. Basically, they're dicks and the Empire seems too decadent and weak to do anything about it, thus their pathetic peace treaty. That said, the Nord revolution is also morally dubious because it requires the slaughter of fellow humans/Nords, but the resentment towards the Empire for siding with the Thalmor is justified.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By project343
    @CaptainKay

I really feel conflicted about this choice. So far I've just left the whole conflict alone. I should probably just man up and join the Stormcloaks, right?

Bah @ Stormcloaks.

They continue to rebel during the worst of times, and they only stand for the rights of the Nords. Severely racist. There are few things I hate more than racism.

I honestly see them as the evil choice.
    Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project343: I don't see them as the evil choice, while you can certainly make arguments about them being racist, but they want to defend their homeland from a group that could easily be seen as invaders.

In my opinion both sides are kinda bad, I really like that Bethesda has created two factions at war with each other where no-one is clearly seen as good or evil.

halfbigdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owl_of_minerva: @owl_of_minerva said:

Basically, they're dicks and the Empire seems too decadent and weak to do anything about it, thus their pathetic peace treaty. That said, the Nord revolution is also morally dubious because it requires the slaughter of fellow humans/Nords, but the resentment towards the Empire for siding with the Thalmor is justified.

Agreed. I am always a bit confused about which side to take ( I don't think about how it benefits my race but rather the land of Skyrim) but I always incline towards the Imperials.

Ulfric and the Stormcloaks come off as idiots, as if the Empire like the Thalmor ruling over them, the Empire is just too weak to fight back.

Had the Stormcloaks tried to unite the Empire and fought to drive out the Thalmor instead I would have supported them wholeheartedly. I don't see why the middlemen in the Empire need to be killed by the stormcloaks.

It just shows Ulfric's hunger to be the high king instead. If he really only wanted to achieve to drive out Thalmor, he would not have fought against the Empire for no reason. The latter isn't really at fault for the white-gold concordant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.