Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Known glitches, crash triggers and other Bethesda features

• 66 results
    limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By limpbishop

Got the idea to have one thread for all the issues (and maybe solutions) we most certainly will come across in Skyrim - due to the awesome features we know and somewhat love Bethesda for.

Bonechill Passage

Let me start out with the little place called Bonechill Passage - currently this will crash for if not all, then most at least on pc.

Solution: Run through this part in windowed mode.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I haven't had a single crash or freeze since i started playing the game, and I've been playing some 20 hours.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BasketSnake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CkaRLP0c-Y goddamn it!

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FritzDude

If you are stucked in one follower/companion on the way out from a loading screen and if you use unrelenting shout on him/her (Or maybe any shout) the game will crash. That's the only crash I had in this game for 20+ hours. The new engine is fantastic to me so far.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

I get regular crashes to desktop. No explanation, no warning, no reason. Indoors, outdoors, fighting, walking. Happens whenever. Its not even like the game freezes, it just closes itself instantly.

Not much use adding it to this list though.

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By limpbishop

@Chavtheworld: Have you tried this fix floating around the interwebs currently:

• Go to Start > Control Panel > Sound.
  • In the Playback tab, right-click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties.
  • In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By sins_of_mosin

One freeze during a load but thats out of probably hundreds of loads already.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Branwulf

My game does have a tendency to randomly close to the desktop in windowed and full screen, might be having duel monitors related though.

Also the marriage bug which i've encounter and fixed myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6IGOomaaw

Having a (live) companion with you seems to stop this bug from occuring.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zelyre

Once I started adding new, larger textures into Skyrim, the game became very unstable. Areas and textures would refuse to load and the game would dump me out to the desktop with no errors every half hour to an hour or every time I fast travelled. The game was constantly hitting its 32 bit memory ceiling and crashing the moment I added 8 megs worth of textures. It got considerably worse with every texture I plugged in.

Using Large Address Aware, you can flag TESV.exe as large address aware. Once flagged, I added another 300 megs of textures and had the game running all day without a crash. If you google it, I found the utility on the techpowerup forums.

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By limpbishop

On my first quest for the Dark Brotherhood - the one with 3 contracts - one of them is by a waterfall, sleeping in a tent. I went up, and "sneak attacked" him with my axe. Result: I hit him through the earth... on the positive note, no body - no crime.

Just hope he did not have some kind of additional quest trigger on his body I missed due to this.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ben_H  Online
    @Akvavit said:

On my first quest for the Dark Brotherhood - the one with 3 contracts - one of them is by a waterfall, sleeping in a tent. I went up, and "sneak attacked" him with my axe. Result: I hit him through the earth... on the positive note, no body - no crime.

Just hope he did not have some kind of additional quest trigger on his body I missed due to this.

No you're good if he's dead.  I went Emperor Palpatine on him with double shock.
    Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Scotto

I've been getting some crashing to desktop when I fast travel occasionally. I'm also encountering a weird bug where sometimes some of the textures don 't load in, so characters will appear to be wearing a suit of shiny, plastic-looking, light blue foam. Had the same thing happen with a dragon skeleton once. Reloading the game seems to get rid of it.

Aside from that - some pathfinding issues with NPC's and companions, and the occasional minor thing here or there.

- Scott

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By galiant

No crashes or freezes yet, 30 hours in on PS3. I'm hoping it'll stay that way!

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

I think I crashed once but I forgot why, probably just some random thing. It was very early into the game, too. I do, however, have the first dragon I slayed somehow move its dead skeletal body right next to the Whiterun main entrance. Those guards have given no fucks the last few times I passed the spectacle.

Edit: Now with picture!

Yes, I'm playing this on a pretty crappy computer but it gets the job done. Also, this dragon's body is ready.
    Yes, I'm playing this on a pretty crappy computer but it gets the job done. Also, this dragon's body is ready.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta

I had a quest break on me once, not even sure what I did wrong... It was the forsworn conspiracy, I went to go back to the telos shrine to talk to the dude and he was dead and that was it.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Kazona

The game froze on me a couple times last night, but that was after having played all day, even leaving it running while I went to do other things.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By benpicko

Really shit frame rate in towns is my only problem.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Commisar123

I only have had one crash to desktop, otherwise its runs really well.

SIXSIDES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SIXSIDES

in the college there is a side quest given by a white haired wood/high(?) elf where you fix these magic wells with magic gloves. Once completed you get infinite magicka for 2 hours IRL!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bollard

@Akvavit said:

• In the Playback tab, right-click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties.
  • In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu.
  • Thanks for the tip, unfortunately though I use a Logitech G35 headset and for some reason (a while back) I already changed it to 44,100Hz, so I don't believe I can use that to help. I actually have it on 16bit (CD quality) because it doesn't give me the option for 24 bit.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By w00ties

Glitch: Floating Horse

Minutes after purchasing my first horse I set out towards my quest marker to take down a group of bandits in the hills. While in transit I crossed a stream outside Whiterun and spotted a Nirnoot at the edge of the water. I hopped off my horse to pick it up but noticed with the corner of my eye that my horse was leaving without me. I spun around to jump back on him but realized that my horse was drifting into the sky - no movement or animation. Just floating both away from me and upwards, I believe it was heading towards the quest marker (though that might be a coincidence). After a few moments of floating increasingly higher and further away it dropped from the air behind a hill, about halfway to the quest marker. I raced towards the hill but found my poor horse deceased on the other side.

So, my floating horse plummeted to its death only moments after I purchased it. Some very bad luck and a massive waste of 1000 gold.

I loaded the game and did more or less the same thing; I purchased the horse, headed towards the quest marker (albeit a slightly different route) and picked up the very same Nirnroot. On my second time through my horse didn't seem all that interested in taking flight. Not sure what caused it, nor how we can avoid that one. It made me chuckle though.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Chavtheworld said:

@Akvavit said:

• Thanks for the tip, unfortunately though I use a Logitech G35 headset and for some reason (a while back) I already changed it to 44,100Hz, so I don't believe I can use that to help. I actually have it on 16bit (CD quality) because it doesn't give me the option for 24 bit.

What do you have your shadows at? At first I was going with High settings, but getting the weird intermittent crashes like you. Searched around online and saw that people switching shadows down to medium has a positive effect. With high shadows, I was crashing about every 20-30 minutes. Switched down to medium and had played from 10pm to 5am with no problem.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By FreakAche

I have two:

• Sometimes for no discernible reason, sprinting in first-person mode will just stop working. I'm not really sure what causes this, but crouching and uncrouching seems to set things back to normal.
    • The Daedric quest Walking Nightmare can glitch out and become impossible to finish. I'm not really sure why this occurs or if there's a way around it, so make sure you save right before you follow the priest into the temple (if the priest disappears once you're inside, the glitch has occurred)
    BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By BlinkyTM

Haven't had any problems except for my sword disappearing once. And some EPIC lagg a few times, framerate drops to like 5 frames a second. I guess it's because of all the stuff going on in the cavern or something. I'm on the Xbox 360 by the way.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Simplexity

The odd crash here and there which just kicks me out to desktop without warning, also sometimes some textures bug out and just fail to load in or something, because instead of the textures you get this purple colour which looks really weird, it's resolved if you just restart the game though, but it's annoying.

I haven't had a quest break on me yet which I consider a step forward for Bethesda.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By w00ties

@BlinkyTM said:

Haven't had any problems except for my sword disappearing once. And some EPIC lagg a few times, framerate drops to like 5 frames a second. I guess it's because of all the stuff going on in the cavern or something. I'm on the Xbox 360 by the way.

I've experienced bad lag once out on a mountain in Skyrim. The frame rate was extremely choppy, but I'm pretty sure it was the result of an enemy mage casting a constant stream of ice. We were fighting around the large shrine where I found her, but as she was attacking me a pillar or two got in her way so her spell never made contact with me. Although she continued to hurl everything she had towards me and that quickly caused an FPS drop. Once I battled off her skeleton and moved around the pillar she finally stopped casting the ice spell which gave me enough time to slay her. It was odd, but an understandable issue on an rather dated console. I'm still extremely impressed at how well this game runs.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Grimluck343

@Prodstep said:

The odd crash here and there which just kicks me out to desktop without warning, also sometimes some textures bug out and just fail to load in or something, because instead of the textures you get this purple colour which looks really weird, it's resolved if you just restart the game though, but it's annoying.

I haven't had a quest break on me yet which I consider a step forward for Bethesda.

I've experienced pretty much the exact same issues. Wondering if the crashes are a dual monitor issue?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShaggE

The only big bugs I've had so far are a random crash, a glitch involving Esbern's voice files (there's a fix on TESNexus, thankfully), and a sudden, seemingly random, major performance drop when leaving a tavern.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By darklight

@Grimluck343 said:

@Prodstep said:

I've experienced pretty much the exact same issues. Wondering if the crashes are a dual monitor issue?

I'm not in dual monitor and it does the same thing to me. So it's probably not related to this. Only thing I notice is if the texture start missing, it will probably crash not long after (by waiting or travelling some distance maybe). Not sure if it's related.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gike987
    @Grimluck343 said:

@Prodstep said:

That's the crashes I was getting. I think it's the game running out of RAM because making the game Large Address Aware fixed those for me.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptainObvious

When I kill dudes they just go flying. It's hilarious sometimes.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bollard

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Akvavit said:

What do you have your shadows at? At first I was going with High settings, but getting the weird intermittent crashes like you. Searched around online and saw that people switching shadows down to medium has a positive effect. With high shadows, I was crashing about every 20-30 minutes. Switched down to medium and had played from 10pm to 5am with no problem.

Hmm I might give that a try, even on Ultra the shadows look meh anyway so turning them down might be worthwhile. That or I'll mess with some of the stuff to make them crisper and see what that does too.

@gike987 said:

@Grimluck343 said:

@Prodstep said:

That's the crashes I was getting. I think it's the game running out of RAM because making the game Large Address Aware fixed those for me.

How do you do that? I'd like to give it a try.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gike987
    @Chavtheworld: This program is the one people have been recommending and I used. You could also use this program but it's more complicated and pretty excessive for what you are trying to do. Keep in mind that you are modifying the exe (so never try this on a VAC game) so it may cause some problems and you have to redo it when Bethesda realeses a patch.
    DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DemiGodRaven

I've got a glitched quest. I'm on a Ps3 so I don't know if it's across all platforms.

I came across Embershard mine real early in my game, and looted everything. This included a book called Souls, Black and White. You later get a quest from the Orc Librarian at the Mage's College asking for the book and he tells you that, "Hey, it's in Embershard mine". Unfortunately there is no option to tell him you picked up the book already and you can't leave and come back and act like you grabbed it. You can't take it off of you so you can't put it back in the chest the game claims that it is in so now I'm walking around with a quest item that I can't get rid of since the Orc won't give me the option to give him the book because I have it already.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Grimluck343

@Darklight said:

@Grimluck343 said:

@Prodstep said:

I'm not in dual monitor and it does the same thing to me. So it's probably not related to this. Only thing I notice is if the texture start missing, it will probably crash not long after (by waiting or travelling some distance maybe). Not sure if it's related.

Interesting, I did notice a giant purple mammoth right before it crashed to desktop last night, but that's the first time I noticed that. The game locked up once and has crashed about 5 or 6 times.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By korwin

I had the textures and world geometry start freaking out on me once, everything was turning blue or turning invisible randomly depending on where you were standing or facing withing a given light source. But I haven't had any real crashes beyond the 192/96k audio bug.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By eroticfishcake

42 hours and I've only encountered two crashes (random I think). It's surprisingly stable in comparison to Oblivion (which was a nightmare to play). Other then that I haven't found any weird bugs which is odd considering the amount people are running into. I did get some poor AI pathfinding issue at one point but that's all I ever got.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dillonwerner

@Chavtheworld said:

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Akvavit said:

Hmm I might give that a try, even on Ultra the shadows look meh anyway so turning them down might be worthwhile. That or I'll mess with some of the stuff to make them crisper and see what that does too.

@gike987 said:

@Grimluck343 said:

@Prodstep said:

How do you do that? I'd like to give it a try.

Me and you are having the exact same problems, we even have the same headset... weird..

Koobasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Koobasta

On the PC, happened twice:

Right after learning a shout from a wall with inscriptions. If I hit Tab -> Magic, game crashes immediately. Was repeatable. Also, I found that my stamina bar didn't deplete! I tried running straight for about 2 minutes. Tried restarting the game and the game would keep crashing selecting Magic from the menu. Found that quick travelling to a location got rid of the issue. Was sad when the unlimited stamina was gone :(

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By beforet

The game gives me a black screen after the first load screen. That is to say, the first one after you start a new game. I installed it today.

I think it might be a driver issue. I'm installing the new one now.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By w00ties

Xbox 360 Menu Freeze:

Occasionally when entering the UI (Items, Magic, etc.), the controller won't respond until you press up with the left joystick. Not sure if this has occurred to anyone else, but it happens on my console every once in a while.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just went in Bonechill pass, crashed three times, thought of this thread that I saw on the front page earlier... and what do you know! Bonechill pass is fucked.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By w00ties

@xobballox said:

I just went in Bonechill pass, crashed three times, thought of this thread that I saw on the front page earlier... and what do you know! Bonechill pass is fucked.

Try playing through the cave while in windowed mode. It's not the best fix, but it's apparently the best workaround available until Bethesda sort this issue out.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w00ties said:

@xobballox said:

Try playing through the cave while in windowed mode. It's not the best fix, but it's apparently the best workaround available until Bethesda sort this issue out.

Yeah, I read that in the OP. Thankfully it worked!

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By w00ties

@xobballox: Good news. I'm glad it's not a 50/50 fix; it sounds like windowed mode will work for everyone which is reassuring.

Jawshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jawshua

@benpicko: same here.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By SSully

@Akvavit said:

• Yeah I think that has been debunked sadly. I tried it and I still get random crashes. Its not that big of a deal because the game does saves well and it loads really fast, but I have easily had 10+ random crashes over my 16 hours so far in game. It has no reason at all. As Chav said it happens for no reason. I can be indoors, outdoors, fighting, just walking in my house and it crashes without any error messages or warning. Annoying, but it hasn't hindered my love for this game at all.

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By limpbishop

@gike987 said:

@Grimluck343 said:

@Prodstep said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here mate - but is this not only an issue on 32bit OS'? As far as I understand this should work right off the bat on 64 bit (in this case Win 7 64).

Lord_Rahl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lord_Rahl

Ok I have two glitches and/or bugs. When I equip the archmage robes and the morokei mask my character turns invisible. Not to others, just me. I can see the robes but my face is gone. Second, I have been on the quest "wait for Brelyna's spell to wear off", the one in the college of winterhold where she turns you green, I started that quest at the beginning and now I am archmage but all she keeps saying is "I still need your help if you can spare the time" and when I click on her it give me the two options of asking "Winterhold used to be full of dark elves?" and "Do you like it here at the college". I have tried waiting, sleeping, sitting in her chair and waiting. Nothing seems to work. Anyone know something I'm not doing right? Or is this a bug?

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cataphract1014

@SSully said:

@Akvavit said:

• Yeah I think that has been debunked sadly. I tried it and I still get random crashes. Its not that big of a deal because the game does saves well and it loads really fast, but I have easily had 10+ random crashes over my 16 hours so far in game. It has no reason at all. As Chav said it happens for no reason. I can be indoors, outdoors, fighting, just walking in my house and it crashes without any error messages or warning. Annoying, but it hasn't hindered my love for this game at all.

I was getting similar crashed, but following some advice in this thread I turned my shadows down to medium and I played tonight for several hours with no crashes.

I would also like to add that some times my commands don't work. I'll hit the shout button and nothing happens, or I try to attack and I just stand there. Doesn't happen to often, but it can be kind of annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.