Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim can't possibly be a GOTY contender. Right guys? Right??

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By DystopiaX

troll

Also, it's bethesda. All their games are buggy, but they're so good they overlook that.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By LiquidSwords

@Three0neFive said:

@LiquidSwords said:

>2011

>Caring about GOTY

I agree with your sentiment, but keep this shit where it belongs.

"It belongs in a museum!"

In all seriousness, people need to stop taking what the staff says to heart. So much overeacting and the list is not even out yet! I could already see the shit threads about people bitching about how they're favorite game didn't get picked or rank higher.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#53  Edited By big_jon

@Suedehead said:

What other game would by GOTY. I mean this hasn't exactly been a fantastic year for games. Other frontrunners, Batman and Uncharted 3, really went over as underwhelming.

Gears 3, Mortal Kombat, Battlefield 3, Rayman Origins, Halo CEA, Bastion, Portal 2, DeadSpace 2

There are plenty.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By yinstarrunner

Why does EVERYONE seem to forget that Deus Ex 3 just came out a few months ago? I was listening to the PC Gamer Podcast this morning and even THEY forgot completely about it. It's kind of sad.

In case you haven't guessed, that's pretty much my GOTY.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#55  Edited By DarthOrange

Eh, if you have a ps3 just be thankful you got so many damn exclusives for the system this year. The real crime is that no one on giant bomb uses there ps3 s there main system, leading many ps3 exclusives to be under appreciated, like Little Big Planet 2. That game has been getting continuous support all year and had 2 major add-on packs, yet i doubt anybody in the whiskey media offices still has a copy of the game.

ZenGaijin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By ZenGaijin

I mirror the TC sentiment. I agree that Skyrim is just a amazing game but at the same time I don't think its fair that Bethesda gets a pass when they ship games time and again with such bugs in when other contenders are fully realized experiences start to finish. A game like Uncharted does what it sets out to do without moments that take you outta the experience.

As weird as it sounds the best game I played this year is Bastion. It's a downloadable title but I was really wowed at the way that game presented itself. Really swept the rug out from under me from start to finish.

The thing I find most interesting about Skyrim. We have won. We nerds have gotten people to basically play Dungeons and Dragons (and love it) which is like the nerdiest thing you could do. This console cycle is amazing we took gaming from being considered as thing only nerds to Everyone picking up a controller and letting go.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Sometimes things fuck up, wasn't this a patch that caused it? People got impatient looking for a patch to fix all of the "massive" isues that the game had before, and just got thigns worse because they coulnd't just wait and bethesda felt the need to rush a patch out. THe game is amazing. PC and 360 are awesome, and PS3 will probably be fixed soon. It's the game they are judging, as they played it. That's what matters.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Milkman

Shut up.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By Afroman269

@big_jon said:

@Suedehead said:

What other game would by GOTY. I mean this hasn't exactly been a fantastic year for games. Other frontrunners, Batman and Uncharted 3, really went over as underwhelming.

Gears 3, Mortal Kombat, Battlefield 3, Rayman Origins, Halo CEA, Bastion, Portal 2, DeadSpace 2

There are plenty.

Fixed.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Nephrahim

Skyrim is amazing.

Next.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By big_jon

@Afroman269 said:

@big_jon said:

@Suedehead said:

There are plenty.

Fixed.

What?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Time_Lord said:

It lacks polish and and the bug testing to be game of the year but then again what eslse came out this year

I've played 100+ hours. My only bone to pick with the game is the shitty interface keys and how binding new keys fucks with that in more ways than one. Other wise, I have good performance on a fairly modest rig, the worst glitch I got was being half way in the ground for a second before rising slowly up and not having any more issues, and the worst jank I got was one time a disarm shout lost me all of my weapons because it knocked them into a hole/stream in the cave and then I just cheated for them back and went on my way. Also, in all my hours, I've barely scratched this game. There are a couple regions I've barely even touched. Iv'e done maybe 2 hours of the main quest? 3 at most? The game is a lot more polished than other GOTY contenders, including GTA IV and Oblivion.

Also, look at GTA IV. The PC version is STILL shitty, and on launch was almost unplayable. I don't know if you listened to the GTA IV vs MGS4 GOTY podcast, but that was a FIERCE debate and those are both in the great games of this entire generation, even decade.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By TheHBK

The game is gonna give people very different experiences. We all have seen different shit happen, done different shit from one another and we all experience glitches more or less differently. And many of us have accepted jank as part of the games charm. Leads to funny and frustrating moments. But if you want a large game like this that has some many options and systems at work with no glitches, you are gonna wait a long time.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By big_jon

@SamDrugbringer said:

Skyrim is amazing.

Next.

It's good, I really think it's not as great as people are saying though.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Nephrahim

@big_jon said:

@SamDrugbringer said:

Skyrim is amazing.

Next.

That's fair. And I think Batman is the GotY, but I doubt the majority will agree. That's what the awards are for.

I think more then enough people do agree that Skyrim is a serious contender though.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By mosdl

@yinstarrunner said:

Why does EVERYONE seem to forget that Deus Ex 3 just came out a few months ago? I was listening to the PC Gamer Podcast this morning and even THEY forgot completely about it. It's kind of sad.

In case you haven't guessed, that's pretty much my GOTY.

Crappy bosses and the last third of the game hurt it.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By thebazel

@Milkman said:

Shut up.

Lol. Internet.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By FlyingRat

I have played Skyrim for about 52 hours and I can't remember encountering a single bug. Also, to some people, like myself, video games are about more than technical achievements, it's about the experience that it gives you. And I think Skyrim gives a great experience all around.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By Xeiphyer

Ive been playing the PS3 version, and the lag from long play sessions was pretty annoying, but I just restarted my PS3 and it was fine again for hours. Only ever did that 3 or 4 times over the course of my 80 hours of play thus far, so it wasn't a big deal.

Beyond that, just one minor glitch in a quest that I had to load the last autosave to fix. So I didn't find the PS3 version bad at all, and I switched to it after playing about 40 hours on PC. 

Skyrim is a serious GotY contender, the game is absolutely massive, and the bugs and glitches are few and far between. Considering what the game offers, its easy to overlook them, especially considering how rare they are compared to Oblivion, and other open world games. The game is completely playable and not a beta at all, especially following the recent patch. 

Honestly I think the chances are extremely high of Skyrim sweeping most GotY awards from around the internet, and most likely Giantbomb too. Jeff basically said Skyrim was his GotY, and it sure seems that way for Brad too. I think the rest can be swayed easily in its favour too. 

But we won't know for sure until it happens. I kind of hope that its a hard fight, there's been some great games this year, but I can really see Skyrim taking it.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

@Afroman269 said:

@big_jon said:

@Suedehead said:

There are plenty.

Fixed.

What?

He korrected your spelling of Mortal Kombat.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I dunno. I really think it might be game of the year.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By MikkaQ

It's not even close to being as buggy as you claim, you're being a drama queen. And if it's not your game of the year, then it's not, doesn't mean this site should change it's opinions to suit yours. What do you care what GB gives as it's game of the year? In what way does it affect your life in the least?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By Commisar123

I'm going to point out that he didn't choose it, all he said was that it was most likely to win out of the five nominated.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By NathanStack

I'd just like to take a second to remind everyone that during the 2009 (I think) GOTY discussions, Bayonetta was eliminated from the "Best Multiplatform Release" category because the PS3 version was fucking terrible.

If it's true that the PS3 version of Skyrim is as bad as the OP is claiming, the guys need to take that into acount when handing out awards.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#75  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

From what I've seen and read the game is certainly not "broken", this is a term which gets thrown around far too often. Despite technical issues out of the gate and probably having way more minor bugs than other games, the game obviously functions properly for the large majority of the time. Buggy may be a legitimate criticism, broken is hyperbolic. Secondly, this isn't an issue as simple as programmers not mastering their art. A skill is never truly mastered, there's no point in the real-world at which someone just maxs out programming, and any technical weakness in Skyrim probably has a lot more to do with the amount of content the programmers were tasked with creating than it does with a lack of skill. As for why people like the game it is not because it has a certain developer or publisher name appended to it, that's just insulting to peoples' intelligence, it's because they think the good in the game massively outweighs the bad. Lastly, can people reward them for the game being fun with all these bugs? Yes, of course they can. They're building an entertainment product, if it's enjoyable then they've done they're job, that's the exact kind of thing they should be rewarded for.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By big_jon

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@big_jon said:

@Afroman269 said:

@big_jon said:

@Suedehead said:

There are plenty.

Fixed.

What?

He korrected your spelling of Mortal Kombat.

Dammit.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ikwal

I never encounterned any bug in Skyrim on PC, but that doesn't mean other people also didn't. But from what I've heard Skyrim seems to be pretty stable for a Bethesta game.

I suspect Skyrim will be the game of the year at many sites, including this one, and I'm ok with that even though it's barely on my top 10 of the year.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By thebazel

Can people quit with the "what do you care" or "does it affect your life" comments. No, it doesn't. No, I don't care. Hey, look, we're on a gaming site's gaming forum, talking about games. I made a topic to talk about a game. Surprise. It's a topic of discussion in regards to a hobby I enjoy. Once I close this browser, I don't think once about Skyrim or GOTY so I don't see why people even bother typing stuff like that. If you don't want to discuss the topic at hand, then don't. If you disagree, that's great, tell me why. "Shut up" or "lol skyrim r0x0rz dude 1000000 questz!!!" don't exactly add to the discussion.

Also I don't want Jeff or anyone to change their minds. I'm asking should a game that is broken (to different degrees, on different platforms) be a contender for the goty or should it be disqualified DESPITE its content because the product doesn't work properly. That's all. I'm not here to piss on your Skyrim parade. Skyrim is great. No qualms here. But are goty's qualifications befitting of it? Or is a gaming website's/magazine's goty simply "my favorite game".

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By big_jon

@SamDrugbringer said:

@big_jon said:

@SamDrugbringer said:

Skyrim is amazing.

Next.

That's fair. And I think Batman is the GotY, but I doubt the majority will agree. That's what the awards are for.

I think more then enough people do agree that Skyrim is a serious contender though.

Yeah, Batman is higher on my list.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By thebazel

@familyphotoshoot said:

I'd just like to take a second to remind everyone that during the 2009 (I think) GOTY discussions, Bayonetta was eliminated from the "Best Multiplatform Release" category because the PS3 version was fucking terrible.

If it's true that the PS3 version of Skyrim is as bad as the OP is claiming, the guys need to take that into acount when handing out awards.

Thank you for this. At least there's precedent on this site for holding a game responsible for its technical aspect.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@thebazel said:

Can people quit with the "what do you care" or "does it affect your life" comments. No, it doesn't. No, I don't care. Hey, look, we're on a gaming site's gaming forum, talking about games. I made a topic to talk about a game. Surprise. It's a topic of discussion in regards to a hobby I enjoy. Once I close this browser, I don't think once about Skyrim or GOTY so I don't see why people even bother typing stuff like that. If you don't want to discuss the topic at hand, then don't. If you disagree, that's great, tell me why. "Shut up" or "lol skyrim r0x0rz dude 1000000 questz!!!" don't exactly add to the discussion.

Also I don't want Jeff or anyone to change their minds. I'm asking should a game that is broken (to different degrees, on different platforms) be a contender for the goty or should it be disqualified DESPITE its content because the product doesn't work properly. That's all. I'm not here to piss on your Skyrim parade. Skyrim is great. No qualms here. But are goty's qualifications befitting of it? Or is a gaming website's/magazine's goty simply "my favorite game".

U MAD SON LOLOLOL

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Tennmuerti
    1. Batman, Uncharted, and Saints Row all have their fair share of issues. I have personally experienced bugs in both Saints Row 3 and Arkham City.
    2. Games have bugs. The bigger the more ambitious and complex a game is the higher a possibility for bugs to occur. This is not debatable it's basic logic.
    3. Any GOTY stuff outside of polls is personal opinions. Skyrim can be a game of the year for plenty of people who are having none of the issues you are having. (it's not goty for me but it' close)
    thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By thebazel

@GunslingerPanda said:

@thebazel said:

U MAD SON LOLOLOL

Oh you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course it can be a contender. Heck, if the patch is out and fixes the game by the time deliberations start, that just gives it a better chance of winning. If it's still broken towards the end of the month, then its chances go down.

It's a great game that I put 120 hours into with no issues. Even PS3 players had to play for what, 30 hours, to see issues? That's 6 MW3 campaigns, and Bethesda is hard at work right now trying to alleviate those issues.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@thebazel said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@thebazel said:

U MAD SON LOLOLOL

Oh you.

But yeah, GotY is pretty much "my favourite game this year" and to be fair, that's all it should be.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By thebazel

@animathias said:

Of course it can be a contender. Heck, if the patch is out and fixes the game by the time deliberations start, that just gives it a better chance of winning. If it's still broken towards the end of the month, then its chances go down.

It's a great game that I put 120 hours into with no issues. Even PS3 players had to play for what, 30 hours, to see issues? That's 6 MW3 campaigns, and Bethesda is hard at work right now trying to alleviate those issues.

Are they? Can they even fix it? Read this first post:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1303536-new-vegas-developer-comments-on-ps3-lag-issues/

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Soapy86

@SirPsychoSexy said:

The vast majority of people have experienced only a few minor issues, otherwise we would hear more about this. Oh and it will win GOTY, sorry.

You should check out GAF.

LOTS of people whining about the PS3 version there.

People whining on Gaf?!

STOP THE PRESSES!!
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Brendan

I don't understand how people can compare games that are so small (comparitively) such as Batman or Uncharted, to something like Skyrim. Do you really think that any developer could release a game that large without several bugs? People keep on running to the argument that other developers don't ship games with those bugs, but that's because no one ships games like Skyrim period. Think of the manpower and time it would take to make something that large, as polished as something like Uncharted. It's physically fucking impossible.

To deny Skyrim awards when so people love it is not to damn Bathesda, it's to damn any game that dares to be that big. Some people on the far side of the bell curve will say that it's unplayable, and the angriest always take up the most space on internet message boards, but the majority of the bell curve is not struggling to get the product to function. They are having a blast with it, unlike with any other game that has come out this year. To the OP: "Quality" as you put it, is more than the mechanical polish of the product. It is the sum of the experience. For most people, the sum of the experience has so far outweighed the issues to the point where it will be their game of the year. That will happen a lot this month.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By George_Hukas

GOTY deliberations, continuing to be trite and pointless year after year.

Think outside the box, fuckheads

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Brendan

An extra tidbit to the OP: If you want to foster intelligent discussion on your topic, respond to the comments that bring forth a legitimate argument. There have been several somewhat well thought out responses, and you have ignored them, only to respond to the basest and easiest of criticisms. This leads to people assuming that you really don't have much to say, and that there isn't any point in contributing to the discussion.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By thebazel

@George_Hukas said:

GOTY deliberations, continuing to be trite and pointless year after year.

Think outside the box, fuckheads

Again, we're gaming fans discussing games on a gaming forum. If that is some how hard for you to understand, or in this case too beneath your almighty elitism, then perhaps you should click the little x in the upper right corner. It would appear you are the "fuckhead".

@Brendan said:

An extra tidbit to the OP: If you want to foster intelligent discussion on your topic, respond to the comments that bring forth a legitimate argument. There have been several somewhat well thought out responses, and you have ignored them, only to respond to the basest and easiest of criticisms. This leads to people assuming that you really don't have much to say, and that there isn't any point in contributing to the discussion.

Oh I understand that, but right now I'm pretty much getting my head beaten over by the "Skyrim is too fackin awesome so we just ignore the problems" hammer. I can't really win that argument. If people overlook the problems of a product they paid money for, well, then they deserve what they get the next time and time after that. I do appreciate the constructive responses, but my position is still pretty much the same from the beginning - how can you reward a game by ignoring the problems and only focusing on the good stuff. It's interesting to read people's comments, but I'm not going to try and win them over to my side. I don't even really have a side. It's just a topic I felt like making a thread about after hearing about Jeff's comments on Bonus Round. Skyrim can win game of the generation and I'll just /shrug.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Tomkang

@thebazel said:

@animathias said:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1303536-new-vegas-developer-comments-on-ps3-lag-issues/

If you read the whole thing, PS3 memory is less flexible than PC/Xbox, which causes saves to fuck up and screw the game over on PS3. Its the systems fault Skyrim ain't working at its best

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By EvilDingo

If the whole "games should work/impress on all the platforms they're released on"-thing were true, then most multi-platform games that have a Wii-release wouldn't be able to be contenders either... Now that doesn't really make sense - does it?

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By AiurFlux

Question is does the game world outweigh the negative problems that Skyrim obviously has? And that's up for personal debate.

Personally I say no. A game of the year, in my mind anyway, is supposed to be the complete package. That includes stability. Granted some bugs are inevitable, but nothing on the level that Skyrim has where even their latest patch broke a fundamental and critical game mechanic in magic resistance. I could touch on the other issues but have no desire to write an essay out on the problems in a fucking video game. Really if it wins I wouldn't be questioning the decision, but I'd hope that publications and/or websites that do award it GOTY at least have the good sense to leave a little asterisk stating that it is a buggy game but they felt that the pros outweighed the cons. Because if they don't I honestly feel that they're doing a disservice to their readers. Especially since there are other equally great games that came out this year that didn't have a fraction of the problems that Skyrim has. Granted they were on a smaller scale but that shouldn't be to their disservice either though.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#95  Edited By mazik765

I have played about 60 hours of the game and experienced only 2 bugs, and one was because my friend deliberately attempted to glitch over a wall into Riften. 60 hours and 2 bugs? That's more time then I would spend and enjoy with most other games. And I don't think the bugs outweigh what an immensely good game this is.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By thebazel

@Tomkang said:

@thebazel said:

@animathias said:

If you read the whole thing, PS3 memory is less flexible than PC/Xbox, which causes saves to fuck up and screw the game over on PS3. Its the systems fault Skyrim ain't working at its best

If you read the whole thing, you'll see other developers LAUGH at the idea of people blaming the PS3 for this problem. Jump to the last page if you want. It is 100% the developer's fault. The system has nothing to do with this. This problem could have been avoided, it just would have required more work than Bethesda wanted to put time into. That's a fact at this point.

I also want to point out I'm not some anti-Bethesda guy. Bethesda is wonderful. I'm just trying to ask people why they defend a maker of a product that has a version that is essentially a scam - it does not work out of the box. (Not to mention Bethesda did not send ANY PS3 copies to game reviewers on purpose) And then why people reward said maker of product.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Tomkang

@thebazel:

"Is the inflating save file just an issue for the PS3 (I've seen lots of lag/crash complaints from PS3 users) or does it happen on all platforms? I'm just wondering if other platforms handle it better than the PS3.

As with Fallout 3 and Skyrim, the problems are most pronounced on the PS3 because the PS3 has a divided memory pool."

Ofc every little bug could be fixed if enough time was put in to bug fixing.

Regardless Skyrim will be GOTY in most places or at least Best Game on Xbox/PC

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Catarrhal

@Doctorchimp said:

I can't pick it for GotY because your console of choice is a fucked up mess? Nah son, it doesn't work that way.

According to Ryan Davis, that's exactly how it works. During last year's GOTY podcast, he brusquely ignored Bayonetta (despite his earlier, overwhelming praise), simply "because the PS3 version is garbage."

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ShaggE

All that should matter in GOTY deliberations is if the game itself is your favorite gaming experience of the year. GOTYs aren't "real" awards, and so there's nothing wrong with picking a GOTY based on your own interpretation of what a GOTY is. If you feel that bugginess disqualifies a game from GOTY, then that's just fine. Your pick can be one of the other highly deserving games of '11. Personally, I'm torn between Batman and Portal 2.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By thebazel

@Catarrhal said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I can't pick it for GotY because your console of choice is a fucked up mess? Nah son, it doesn't work that way.

According to Ryan Davis, that's exactly how it works. During last year's GOTY podcast, he brusquely ignored Bayonetta (despite his earlier, overwhelming praise), simply "because the PS3 version is garbage."

Again, I'd love to see a response from the GB crew about this in regards to Skyrim. Skyrim taking 360/PC awards I have zero issues with (well if you ignore the 360 texture issue).

All that should matter in GOTY deliberations is if the game itself is your favorite gaming experience of the year. GOTYs aren't "real" awards, and so there's nothing wrong with picking a GOTY based on your own interpretation of what a GOTY is. If you feel that bugginess disqualifies a game from GOTY, then that's just fine. Your pick can be one of the other highly deserving games of '11. Personally, I'm torn between Batman and Portal 2.

That's fine if it's you and me. But developers use the accolades from sites like this to sell their games, remember?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.