Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

The Keeper

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Edited By Jeust

He is the man with a box for a head, the metaphor for the unsympathetic, indifferent man, whose touch hurt.

Mysterious, he locks his thoughts deep inside his mind, his brain, made of flesh, selfish, twisted, caprichous.

He is the embodiment of it all.

He is the Box Man.

Hello!
    Hello!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an interpretation for the Box Man, because I was curious about him, about the significance of the box for a head. Especially after seeing the room with all the portraits of people with boxes for heads.

Do you agree with it?

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I mean from the model viewer in the game it says Keepers are a result of Ruvik's fury over having his research stolen. It's just the embodiment of Ruvik wanting to keep all his secrets locked up from what I understand after completing the game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Maybe they had ideas deemed undesirable, or are just a bunch of vainglorious bigots. Maybe it's a Se7en reference, and they're all technically headless. That'd be pretty creepy. I guess "head in a box" isn't really just a Se7en thing though. D:

What's the context in the game?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeust

@citizencoffeecake said:

I mean from the model viewer in the game it says Keepers are a result of Ruvik's fury over having his research stolen. It's just the embodiment of Ruvik wanting to keep all his secrets locked up from what I understand after completing the game.

Or maybe the embodiment of the people, who Ruvik thought were secretive, mysterious, selfish, and twisted like the doctor Marcelo Jimenez, stealing peoples' work and lives, conniving.

I hadn't notice that caption in the model viewer.

@theht said:

Maybe they had ideas deemed undesirable, or are just a bunch of vainglorious bigots. Maybe it's a Se7en reference, and they're all technically headless. That'd be pretty creepy. I guess "head in a box" isn't really just a Se7en thing though. D:

What's the context in the game?

The Box Man is an enemy, a boss, who has a box for his head, a safe, enveloped in barbwire, and inside guts, and apparently guts in the shape of tentacles, looks like an octopus made of flesh inside the safe. Really messy stuff.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Loading Video...

Could it be a nod to old Pyramid Head?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butler said:

Could it be a nod to old Pyramid Head?

Certaintly is.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeust

@citizencoffeecake:

The Keeper is described at the model viewer as:

A creature created from a blend of Ruvik's final memories before he was dismembered and his fury at having his research stolen from his safe. Anyone who approaches the safe is killed and their severed head added to those in the sack.

The description doesn't specify the blend.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

He's just meant to be a creepy monster design, akin to Pyramid Head, but without the metaphor. Like, sure, he's supposed to represent Ruvik's whatever ect., but really that just seems like some last ditch attempt at giving The Keeper some symbolism beyond ''creepy monster man''.

Replacing head with X seems to be a pretty effective means at creating an unsettling character design. No doubt because it removes much of the 'humanity' of the creature while still having it resemble something humanoid. They made a similar sort of creature design in the Juli Kidman DLC, to which I'd say is much more disturbing than The Keeper.

No Caption Provided

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeust

@yummylee: Yeah, from what I have experienced, much of psychologic side, of the game, seems just an afterthought and not all that intentional, developed and defined, more like whimsical effords chained together. Which is a pity, because it is a game, and a franchise, with a great potential for psychological horror.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.