Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Edge Magazine gives The Last of Us its 3rd 10/10, “Epic”

• 94 results
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@benny:

"Do not mention Crash Bandicoot's role in the game." The whole second half is just Joel and Ellie holed up in a safe house with a working generator playing a new Crash platformer.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So, I bet it's an amazing, ridiculously well produced game and all, but is this going to be yet another 'highly cinematic blockbuster experience,' featuring lots of impressive setpieces and mo-capped movements, rich with QTEs and pushing up on the stick? 'Cause, don't get me wrong, that has its place and can make a great game even better, but that's precisely what got me off the Dead Space train with 2, and got frustratingly bland in Uncharted 3, Tomb Raider, etc. I'm just kinda over that games-so-cinematic-your-girlfriend-will-think-she's-watching-a-movie stuff that Sony was peddling with Uncharted.

so what would you rather it be. or are you just ranting for the sake of ranting

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd give it a 10/10 just for the phrase "a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains".

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bell_end said:

@pillclinton said:

So, I bet it's an amazing, ridiculously well produced game and all, but is this going to be yet another 'highly cinematic blockbuster experience,' featuring lots of impressive setpieces and mo-capped movements, rich with QTEs and pushing up on the stick? 'Cause, don't get me wrong, that has its place and can make a great game even better, but that's precisely what got me off the Dead Space train with 2, and got frustratingly bland in Uncharted 3, Tomb Raider, etc. I'm just kinda over that games-so-cinematic-your-girlfriend-will-think-she's-watching-a-movie stuff that Sony was peddling with Uncharted.

Oh, just ranting. Something that's been on my mind lately, along with story in games. Maybe I'll write a blog about it or something. Probably not, though.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Guys, I've got a great idea. Whys doesn't someone just make a game based on Citizen Kane? It would have to get the best reviews ever, right?

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zombies!!!! Marvelous! 10/10 all day every day. The freshness is dizzying!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@leftie68: "Widely viewed" has little or nothing to do with my opinion on the subject; it's a statement reflecting the general view not my own. Also my post is mostly in jest even if it has a good point behind it; additionally I've read maybe 2 or 3 Edge reviews ever so I have no idea either way.

Here's a good twist: A tattoo on a guy's back makes him a demigod essentially and the villain decides to carve it off his back and sew it on to his own.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By MildMolasses

@castiel said:

I hereby forbid game journalists to use the following sentence: "... is the Citizen Cane of video games"

And I also forbid them to use the following word: "Epic"

That's going to make reviews for Fortnite a little awkward

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Darji

@tangoup said:

Fail these are not Zombies. Bad troll attempt^^

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for all of threads saying "It's not that good because I say so" those are always fun.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting flashbacks to Bioshock Infinite where there will always be the guys who go "...I thought it would be better" no matter what the game actually is.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62  Edited By Castiel

@mildmolasses said:

@castiel said:

I hereby forbid game journalists to use the following sentence: "... is the Citizen Cane of video games"

That's going to make reviews for Fortnite a little awkward

Hey man, it's not my fault that the developer is called #&¤% (This sentence has been edited by the internet gestapo)

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

So... is this game worth buying a PS3 for? I've never had a Sony console. (Yes, well, I try to forget about my PSP, shhhh). Since it's on its last legs, I figure I can get one relatively cheap and catch up with the games I haven't played yet. But I don't think I'll like the God of Wars (Gods of War?) and Uncharteds... so I'll be getting it mostly for this game (and solely based on all the hype it's been getting from game journalists).

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:

So... is this game worth buying a PS3 for? I've never had a Sony console. (Yes, well, I try to forget about my PSP, shhhh). Since it's on its last legs, I figure I can get one relatively cheap and catch up with the games I haven't played yet. But I don't think I'll like the God of Wars (Gods of War?) and Uncharteds... so I'll be getting it mostly for this game (and solely based on all the hype it's been getting from game journalists).

This game, from what I've seen, is pretty much a grittier Uncharted with some zombies. There's tons of great games on Ps3, but I wouldn't buy a whole console just for one game that no one outside the gaming media has even played yet.

But maybe once I get it and play it I'll change my tune and tell you to buy a PS3 for it. I hope so.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Good reviews does not mean the game is any good. Or more specifically good in my eyes.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castiel said:

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By GaspoweR

Well, Tom Chick will find something flawed about the game that annoys him to all hell and just give it 2 or 3 stars... or he won't who knows. Kinda makes me want a PS3 now...which sucks considering that this is pretty much a game that is smackdab in the middle of this gen and the next. :(

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I'm glad this game is getting high reviews. Won't be reading any fan reviews and I trusted Naughty Dog enough to throw down a pre order even though I only beat the first Uncharted and played the first few levels of Uncharted 2.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:

This game, from what I've seen, is pretty much a grittier Uncharted with some zombies. There's tons of great games on Ps3, but I wouldn't buy a whole console just for one game that no one outside the gaming media has even played yet.

But maybe once I get it and play it I'll change my tune and tell you to buy a PS3 for it. I hope so.

1. These are no Zombies.

2. It is in no way like Uncharted. Have you even watched gameplay material?

3. By the look of it this game actually can get the BEST Metacritic score a video game has ever recieved^^

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@tangoup said:

Fungal Zombies!!! OMG, I love the smell of fresh zombie (ideas).

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tangoup said:

@darji said:

@tangoup said:

Fungal Zombies!!! OMG, I love the smell of fresh zombie (ideas).

No dude, they're The Infected and totally not zombies at all.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bell_end said:

@pillclinton said:

Oh, just ranting. Something that's been on my mind lately, along with story in games. Maybe I'll write a blog about it or something. Probably not, though.

What I gather from the information that's out there about the demo it seems that you have a lot of freedom in how you approach different situations. That doesn't sound like Uncharted at all and is one of the reasons why I have any hope for this game being better than just good. It'll have its setpieces and that's fine as long as they really provide enough options in the gameplay mechanics.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bayonetta got a 10?!?!?

That list is worthless at that point.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kishinfoulux

Glad to see the check cleared.

I despise the dick slurping that the gaming media does for Naughty Dog games. But hey, if they like style over substance all the more power to them.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@joeyravn said:

Oh, yes, sure. When I say "just for this game" I mean that "this is the game that finally makes me buy a PS3". There are some other PS games that I'd love to try (Tokyo Jungle, Journey, Ni No Kuni... even Metal Gear Solid 4, though I'd have to play MSG1 to 3 first), but none of which have convinced me to get a PS3. I think I'll wait for this game to be released to see if it lives up to the hype. You know, my birthday is in 3 weeks and maybe I can convince myself to treat myself to a (completely needless) gift ;)

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bell_end said:

@pillclinton said:

I agree with you 100%.

It's just Dragon's Lair 2013, and I thought we all agreed that Dragon's Lair was a neat gimmick, but a horrible video game?

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@pillclinton said:

@bell_end said:

@pillclinton said:

I agree with you 100%.

It's just Dragon's Lair 2013, and I thought we all agreed that Dragon's Lair was a neat gimmick, but a horrible video game?

Right, because you've totally played the game already and it's just like Dragon's Lair.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By JazGalaxy

@jazgalaxy said:

@pillclinton said:

@bell_end said:

@pillclinton said:

I agree with you 100%.

Right, because you've totally played the game already and it's just like Dragon's Lair.

I was talking about those "cinematic" style games, not The Last Of Us specifically.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well it's Edge so that means something.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think I understand the internet anymore. Are people seriously complaining about a game that hasn't came out and that they haven't played because it is getting positive reviews? What is wrong with you?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

I don't think I understand the internet anymore. Are people seriously complaining about a game that hasn't came out and that they haven't played because it is getting positive reviews? What is wrong with you?

bad trolls

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@ramone said:

bad trolls

*nods head*

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Wait, people are allowed to complain about Remember Me but not the Last of Us for some reason (neither having played them)? Naughty Dog is a good studio sure but Remember Me certainly has a much better aesthetic concept and just the thought process behind the game in general; I'm almost positive the Last of Us is going to be the better game but spread the hate/love around equally friends.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#84  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@ramone said:

Cynical people being cynical.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pillclinton said:

@bell_end said:

@pillclinton said:

I agree with you 100%.

Holy hyperbole batman.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, people are allowed to complain about Remember Me but not the Last of Us for some reason (neither having played them)? Naughty Dog is a good studio sure but Remember Me certainly has a much better aesthetic concept and just the thought process behind the game in general; I'm almost positive the Last of Us is going to be the better game but spread the hate/love around equally friends.

REmember me got actually the score it deserved. And the Last of us will get the scores it deserves as well.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By davidwitten22

@darji said:

@davidwitten22 said:

@joeyravn said:

1. These are no Zombies.

2. It is in no way like Uncharted. Have you even watched gameplay material?

3. By the look of it this game actually can get the BEST Metacritic score a video game has ever recieved^^

"From what I've seen". I don't care what explanation they have behind their zombie type characters, at their core they're still pretty much zombies. I don't care if its a fungus or a bite, they are still humans with some fucked up characteristics who run at you and try to kill you with melee. And yeah, I've seen gameplay material. At the E3 reveal I thought it was Uncharted 4 for the first few minutes of the gameplay video cause it looked the same until I got to really see the characters and the action.

And yeah it might get the best metacritic score. It actually looks really fucking cool, and there's a good chance I'll buy it on Day 1 (something I have only done once this console generation). I wasn't trying to bash the game dude, relax.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#88  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@joeyravn said:

@davidwitten22 said:

@joeyravn said:

Oh, yes, sure. When I say "just for this game" I mean that "this is the game that finally makes me buy a PS3". There are some other PS games that I'd love to try (Tokyo Jungle, Journey, Ni No Kuni... even Metal Gear Solid 4, though I'd have to play MSG1 to 3 first), but none of which have convinced me to get a PS3. I think I'll wait for this game to be released to see if it lives up to the hype. You know, my birthday is in 3 weeks and maybe I can convince myself to treat myself to a (completely needless) gift ;)

If you have never owned a Sony console then yes it is worth it, i would even suggest getting a PS2 and some older PS1 and ps2 games if you can deal with old games. But this is also coming from someone who played those game when they where new, so i don't know how well they really hold up to my memories.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By kishinfoulux

@darji said:

@fredchuckdave said:

REmember me got actually the score it deserved. And the Last of us will get the scores it deserves as well.

No it won't. The scores will be super inflated like the rest of Naughty Dog's garbage. Gaming media is easily impressed by flash and presentation.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@fredchuckdave said:

No it won't. The scores will be super inflated like the rest of Naughty Dog's garbage. Gaming media is easily impressed by flash and presentation.

It wasn't just presentation that impressed people with Uncharted 2 for example and why it got such a high score. It was how the presentation was integrated into the gameplay. Anyone can do a third person adventure shooter. Look how many have tried to do it and it has been the same old thing. But if your going to do a game like that how one feels while playing it, the sense of atmosphere and style is exceptionally important. That is what Uncharted succeeded at. The set pieces were absolutely amazing, the way the character engaged was amazing and the pacing of the game was amazing.

However to say this looks like it'll also be overrated is kinda hilarious. Everything we have heard about this game it shares a lot of qualities of Uncharted that of setting a atmosphere and a tone, and other presentation impressive things like blood soaking through your clothing dynamically etc. But it seems to be the gameplay that is wowing people. The impact and feeling you get from actually shooting someone so your not just mowing down dudes. The AI behavior is apparently the best in class (again going only off early reviewers/impressions) to the point that people have said they have played demo's several times and gotten different behaviors every time all based on how you react. They have added a ton of new ideas, not new as in original to the gaming industry but new as in different than Uncharted and what they normally do to revamp and make this a completely different experience.

I understand the need to be cynical. But if on the surface you simply dislike games that focus more on presentation than game mechanics your are more than entitled to do it. But the impression you give off is someone who thinks that all people who make the games like that only care about is flash and presentation and are essentially stealing peoples money by making hollow experiences. Sorry but there are tons of big title games that have come out that actually have a lot of care put into making them, including on making the gameplay experience a quality one. Just because it isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it can't be a quality game.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@devise22: Amen brother. Well said and I agree with almost every point you raise.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By PillClinton

@ramone said:

Dunno whether or not you're referring to my comment, but I ain't complaining; I'm simply questioning convention in video games and some pretty big built up hype, which sure, could very well be totally justified. The Last of Us could end up being my favorite game ever, who knows? I'll definitely play it, and go in with a fair open mind, allowing it to have whatever effect it has. Simply raising some totally valid questions about the state of big budget games over here. A little bit of fair cynicism about anything is warranted and healthy.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

Dunno whether or not you're referring to my comment, but I ain't complaining; I'm simply questioning convention in video games and some pretty big built up hype, which sure, could very well be totally justified. The Last of Us could end up being my favorite game ever, who knows? I'll definitely play it, and go in with a fair open mind, allowing it to have whatever effect it has. Simply raising some totally valid questions about the state of big budget games over here. A little bit of fair cynicism about anything is warranted and healthy.

if it was just a 'little' cynicism then i would agree with you.

but the internet is like a over active cynical gland that just oozes cynical fluids all day everyday crushing any sort of optimism.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By korolev

Well, this has gotten my interest, since Edge typically don't give out 10/10s. I will probably buy it, after I see GB's review. I am not going to pre-order it, because such a big release will not be hard to find and I am in no danger of it being sold out.

And it comes out on the day my first semester exams finish. I will be playing this either in celebration or as a distraction.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By colourful_hippie

@bell_end said:

@pillclinton said:

If it was another Uncharted I would agree with you but everything I've seen of the game has led me to believe that this game is a pretty big departure from the kind of gameplay that is found throughout the games you listed. It looks a lot more low key and it seems to be emphasizing survival a good bit by making you really vulnerable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.