Finally Legend of Dragoon comes to PSN!

#1 Edited by Coafi (1481 posts) -
#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

I absolutely HATED this game. Hated. With a passion.

#3 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Wow, harsh. I ABSOLUTELY love this game, it's one of my favorites. Don't compare it to FF and you'll probably like it.

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2137 posts) -

I thought this game was kinda mediocre. Reviews certainly made it look that way at the time of release. If you say its one of your favorite games, maybe I ought to try it out now?

#5 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Y'all are crazy. Legend of Dragoon is my favourite ps1 game. It's fantastic.

#6 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

i never finished it. one thing i remember being less-than-pleased with was the triangle above dart that changed colour as an encounter was getting nearer in time. very strange.

#7 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

I remember it being really stupid... yet I loved every moment of it.

#8 Posted by SurferZ (92 posts) -

Game was OK. The dialogue was terrible. I like the timing based combos at the time.

#9 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

@Morningstar: Well, the thing that really killed this game is the fact that it came out around the same time FFVII came out, which absolutely killed any hope it had because of FF fan base. If you can get over the aged graphics, and a sub-par writing then yes, I recommend it. Keep in mind the game is long, and there is some grinding involved.

#10 Posted by Morningstar (2137 posts) -

@Coafi: Sounds good. I still have plenty of Ps1 games in my back catalogue so graphics is not a problem. Thanks for the tip ^^

#11 Posted by Draugen (627 posts) -

@Coafi: WHAT!? Are you kidding me? Not four days ago, I crawled into a dusty attic with the sole intention of finding my old copy. I found it, but I probably emerged with rabies after having to fight several bats for possession of it.

Good times. Looking forward to playing it again, though. :)

#12 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

@Morningstar: No problem! I hope you like it!

@Draugen: Haha, I'm as surprised as you are, at least now more people will have a chance to play it, instead of looking in dusty attics.

#13 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

I loved the timing based combat in this game, but can't remember a single thing about it's story. Maybe that speaks to the overall quality of it

#14 Posted by FulgoreSenpai (71 posts) -

yay! never played it before but i have been waiting for it since hearing rumors of it coming for the longest time.

#15 Posted by Sergio (2047 posts) -

Not the greatest game, but I enjoyed it at the time. Probably won't be playing it again.

#16 Posted by AuthenticM (3698 posts) -

Wow, I am surprised to read that a sequel was in preproduction at some point.

I fucking love this game! You guys want to see a sequel happen for real? Then BUY IT!!! I know I will.

#17 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

That's a real blast from the past. Don't know that it would necessarily hold up, but I certainly enjoyed it at the time.

#18 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1943 posts) -

I really like this game. It's one of the few PS1 games that I absolutely had to keep when I moved. Some of the game is so fucking weird and bad, but in general Discs 1,3,4 are really good. Something about Disc 2 always irked me really bad, but I haven't played it in awhile.

#19 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

I fucking love this game! You guys want to see a sequel happen for real? Then BUY IT!!! I know I will.

A sequel? God damn, I wish they hadn't announced that one was in the works, because now I'm disappointed.

#20 Posted by TheHT (10871 posts) -

I enjoyed every moment of this game until that fucking goblin theif or whatever he was consistently wrecked my shit in those ruins with his fucking bomb attack.

#21 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -

fuuuuuuuck YES!!

legend of dragoon is one of my favorite games ever

#22 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

loved that game back when it first came out.

#23 Posted by dvdhaus (355 posts) -

This game was one of my favorites from the PSOne.

#24 Posted by sawtooth (429 posts) -

combat system in this game was awesome.

#25 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

Might get it for nostalgia's sake. I've grown so far away from those types of RPGs that I'm not sure I could will myself through it, but I remember liking it at the time. 

#26 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

This was my FF7, I have been waiting for this since 2006.

#27 Posted by FLStyle (4567 posts) -

A good day indeed! A pity we won't be seeing a sequel.

@Coafi: FFVIII, it was made on the back of FFVII's success.

#28 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

@FLStyle: Yeah, I got my numbers mixed up, it released shortly after FFVIII.

#29 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -

I really liked this game when it came out, and have played it though at least twice. But I tried to play it again somewhat recently and it has not aged all that well.

#30 Posted by HIGH_STICKING (5 posts) -

So excited for this. This is one of the first "real" JRPG's I can remember myself playing, so it has a ton of nostalgia for me. I imagine it probably isn't as good as I remember, as others are pointing out, but I just have to do this!

#31 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

bestest news ever. Favorite game from the PS1 era

#32 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@Maystack said:

@AuthenticM said:

A sequel? God damn, I wish they hadn't announced that one was in the works, because now I'm disappointed.

yeah this made me sad

#33 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@Coafi said:

@Morningstar: Well, the thing that really killed this game is the fact that it came out around the same time FFVII came out, which absolutely killed any hope it had because of FF fan base. If you can get over the aged graphics, and a sub-par writing then yes, I recommend it. Keep in mind the game is long, and there is some grinding involved.

Great game, cant beat FF9 for me favorite ps1 game but I will rebuy this!

#34 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

One of my all time favorite JRPGs and a real overlooked gem.

#35 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

I am going to Gust of Wind Dance all over this game

#36 Posted by ESREVER (2667 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

You guys want a sequel to happen? Then BUY THIS GAME!! I know I will! (taken from psblog)

Why hello there, Mr. WakizashiM. Lol, sorry. I was just reading the comments on the blog and then jumped over here and saw the EXACT message. Had to confirm my suspicions!

I'll be checking this out most likely. I missed a lot of great ps1 games (never owned a ps1) and this one seems pretty highly regarded. Then again, I got so many PS1 classics on my harddrive, iunno when I'm ever gonna get to them.

#37 Posted by thatpinguino (696 posts) -

Now where is my Legend of Legaia re-release?

#38 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

My friend tried to convince me this was a good game, but I never could be bothered to test his claims.

#39 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

Awesome game. I already own this and looks like it will become another PSN PSone classic that I buy and download to put on my PSP and never turn on! Yeah!

#40 Posted by Natedogg2 (446 posts) -

I don't really remember much about this game (I borrowed it from a friend when I was in high school). The only thing I can remember about this game is that there was a really tough boss in the later part of the game that punished you for transforming into dragoons. I remember dying numerous times. Depending on what the price it, I might pick it up once it's released for download.

#41 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Wow, finally. I loved LOD, it was my favourite RPG of all time.

#42 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

Yay nostalgia!

#43 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

I doubt this game holds up very well.

#44 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

That game had some fantastic ass music. I'm getting the shit out of it Day One.

#45 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

I loved Legend of Dragoon. Such an involved combat system and a great story. Next to Final Fantasy IX (which is dramatically underrated) it is my favorite game on the PSOne.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.